Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

I like you guys' wishlists. What I would like to see happen this year for John Stewart is:

John Stewart gets a love interest

I think it's time for John to get another love interest to help raise up his profile. I think it adds more to the character, when he has someone that's close to him. I personally prefer him to date another superhero, which adds more John Stewart adventures in the making.

Have his own solo book

It's beyond me why one of the most popular DC minority heroes does not have their own book. It's way long overdue. If there's someone who deserves to have his own book, its John Stewart. You have multi million dollar A-list celebrities/actors having desires to play him or at least mentioning about him. Not only this, but he was confirmed as a co-lead in the GLC movie. His name has been brought up like crazy in the media. He was mentioned in Arrow recently. Even the writer, who wrote John Stewart recently in DC talent showcase said that John deserves his own solo book. So why doesn't he have his own book!? If he does get a book this year, I'm expecting it to happen around the end of the summer.

Doesn't matter whether his book is an ongoing series or a mini book for now. Just give him a book already!

Continue the growth of his new abilities

I think John's new power set is one of the best things that ever happened. It doesn't come off corny or anything like that. The ring is printed on him where his heart acts like the power battery. This is great for the character. He no longer have to recharge his ring or worry about the 24 hour limit. I wonder does John's power have limitations like ordinary power rings? I think this a good path and hoping that this isn't a temporary concept. I'm expecting to see some answers soon, which I hope the Guardians would give John some answers. It would be nice to see John show off his new powers in The Sixth Dimension arc.

BANNED

Happy new year

I haven't read many John Stewart comics but he was amazing in JL-JLU animated. I like them all, Hal, John, Kyle may be except Guy... lol Guy is kind of annoying. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Happy new year

I haven't read many John Stewart comics but he was amazing in JL-JLU animated. I like them all, Hal, John, Kyle may be except Guy... lol Guy is kind of annoying. lol
    Yea, John was an amazing character in the JL series. He's been great in Van Jensen's run as well as Scott Snyder's Justice League.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I like you guys' wishlists. What I would like to see happen this year for John Stewart is:

John Stewart gets a love interest

I think it's time for John to get another love interest to help raise up his profile. I think it adds more to the character, when he has someone that's close to him. I personally prefer him to date another superhero, which adds more John Stewart adventures in the making.

Have his own solo book

It's beyond me why one of the most popular DC minority heroes does not have their own book. It's way long overdue. If there's someone who deserves to have his own book, its John Stewart. You have multi million dollar A-list celebrities/actors having desires to play him or at least mentioning about him. Not only this, but he was confirmed as a co-lead in the GLC movie. His name has been brought up like crazy in the media. He was mentioned in Arrow recently. Even the writer, who wrote John Stewart recently in DC talent showcase said that John deserves his own solo book. So why doesn't he have his own book!? If he does get a book this year, I'm expecting it to happen around the end of the summer.

Doesn't matter whether his book is an ongoing series or a mini book for now. Just give him a book already!

Continue the growth of his new abilities

I think John's new power set is one of the best things that ever happened. It doesn't come off corny or anything like that. The ring is printed on him where his heart acts like the power battery. This is great for the character. He no longer have to recharge his ring or worry about the 24 hour limit. I wonder does John's power have limitations like ordinary power rings? I think this a good path and hoping that this isn't a temporary concept. I'm expecting to see some answers soon, which I hope the Guardians would give John some answers. It would be nice to see John show off his new powers in The Sixth Dimension arc.
    I'm excited about his new powers! Seeing what Snyder is doing is refreshing and I'm here for it. Hopefully other writers take note on whats happening with him but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

I'm betting Synder is going to link the power to his physical health. As in he "recharges" in his sleep and when he is physically exhausted his power begins to fade. However, considering he is now imbued with pure will , John's endurance probably is (Should Be) much greater than you average human being. But those are just my thoughts on how I would imagine some of the new aspects of his powers would work.

I'm very interested in how this "new" power will effect him mentally. Will he have to be careful of not desiring something enough that he just instantly forms it from his mind? Will he to figure out so form of sleep remedy as to not make his dreams come to life while resting?

Those could be some very fun avenues to explore with the character for 2019.

Another thing I would like to see is a different costume. The one he has now is his iconic uniform and I do enjoy it very much but it be nice to see him wear something else for a short period of time. Most of the "A-Listers" have worn a few different suits over the years why not give John a shot at it?

Here's a couple redesign's I found online that I thought were cool:
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

the picture on the left with three Johns, i liked the middle one best.

Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Mighty Member

If they gave John Stewart his own book. I think it'll be cool to see him train someone, perhaps he'd train the new Teen Lantern who will be seen in YJ. I think John would be an amazing teacher.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    If they gave John Stewart his own book. I think it'll be cool to see him train someone, perhaps he'd train the new Teen Lantern who will be seen in YJ. I think John would be an amazing teacher.
    That could be interesting but I think it would be better to give him room to just show up and show out, ya know? We've seen him lead and guided the entire Corps, train rookie Lanterns, and mentor Kyle pre-New 52/Rebirth. I think if John got his own book he sould just do him, prove why he's so highly regarded amongst his peers from the Guardians, the Lantern Corps, to even Batman. Also, I think it would be cooler to see her get trained by Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. I like the idea of the latest Lanterns training a new potential Lantern; plus I like the idea of the Latinx comradery between Teen Lantern and Jessica.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That could be interesting but I think it would be better to give him room to just show up and show out, ya know? We've seen him lead and guided the entire Corps, train rookie Lanterns, and mentor Kyle pre-New 52/Rebirth. I think if John got his own book he sould just do him, prove why he's so highly regarded amongst his peers from the Guardians, the Lantern Corps, to even Batman. Also, I think it would be cooler to see her get trained by Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. I like the idea of the latest Lanterns training a new potential Lantern; plus I like the idea of the Latinx comradery between Teen Lantern and Jessica.
    This.

It's time for John to do his own thing. It be cool to see him in a different setting than we have been getting in the past.

I'm also not sure about the new teen Lantern yet. It seems that Bendis is making another character for his daughter instead of a true character that fits inside of the mythos. The new Teen could turn out to be great but Bendis first shot at Riri (another character for his kido) started off terribly. It took other writers place their stamp on her for her to actually be a viable character. Riri still isn't all that great to read but at least she's no longer a MS with sociopathic tendencies . Anyway, my point to that is ...if not handled correctly it could be bad for John and why risk that.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This.

It's time for John to do his own thing. It be cool to see him in a different setting than we have been getting in the past.

I'm also not sure about the new teen Lantern yet. It seems that Bendis is making another character for his daughter instead of a true character that fits inside of the mythos. The new Teen could turn out to be great but Bendis first shot at Riri (another character for his kido) started off terribly. It took other writers place their stamp on her for her to actually be a viable character. Riri still isn't all that great to read but at least she's no longer a MS with sociopathic tendencies . Anyway, my point to that is ...if not handled correctly it could be bad for John and why risk that.
    I gotta disagree with this a bit. Why would one exclude the other? I don't think he makes characters for his daughter literally, in so much that he recognizes the importance of introducing more diverse characters because of his daughter. Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams, he has been more successful in establishing new characters than most DC writers right now. I don't think characters are created fully formed, the mythos and pathos comes over time but only when characters get established. I don't think I'd be as hopeful for Teen Lantern if Bendis weren't the one behind her. However, DC's a different beast than Marvel so they could dick her over like a lot of their other minority characters.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I gotta disagree with this a bit. Why would one exclude the other? I don't think he makes characters for his daughter literally, in so much that he recognizes the importance of introducing more diverse characters because of his daughter. Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams, he has been more successful in establishing new characters than most DC writers right now. I don't think characters are created fully formed, the mythos and pathos comes over time but only when characters get established. I don't think I'd be as hopeful for Teen Lantern if Bendis weren't the one behind her. However, DC's a different beast than Marvel so they could dick her over like a lot of their other minority characters.
    I could be wrong. Not denying that. But the idea of a teen lantern who isn't connected to the Lantern Corp just seems disingenuous to me. But we will see on that.

As to the bold I whole heartily disagree. Bendis is good at finding properties that will potentially make him more money and/or give him more notoriety. Creating a Black Spider-Man after how big the Glover "controversy" was, isn't a heart felt more diverse characters campaign. Its locating an audience and capitalizing on it. Now don't get me wrong...I do believe Bendis might actually care about diversity but I think he cares more about money and/or giving him more notoriety. It becomes painfully obvious when you read Riri or some of his other work. If Bendis had truly cared about diversity I think he would have spent more of his time creating original diverse characters and using his influence to push those characters instead of taking already popular brands, essentially race bending them, and then calling his audience racist if they did not like the work he put out with them. (That did in fact happen) Or at the very least spend more time developing certain characters instead of bailing out as soon as the wind blows the wrong way. (He leaves when most of his projects aren't getting praise so this not just a diverse thing but still it shows that it's not his primary goal to provide inclusion. )

Now again, who really knows about the Teen Lantern. Bendis may have learned a few things when he was at Marvel with how to and how not to handle diversity. Maybe the new Teen Lantern will be boss. But just from outsider observing the full path of his superhero comic career up to this point... I'm highly suspicious to say the least.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-04-2019 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I could be wrong. Not denying that. But the idea of a teen lantern who isn't connected to the Lantern Corp just seems disingenuous to me. But we will see on that.

As to the bold I whole heartily disagree. Bendis is good at finding properties that will potentially make him more money and/or give him more notoriety. Creating a Black Spider-Man after how big the Glover "controversy" was, isn't a heart felt more diverse characters campaign. Its locating an audience and capitalizing on it. Now don't get me wrong...I do believe Bendis might actually care about diversity but I think he cares more about money and/or giving him more notoriety. It becomes painfully obvious when you read Riri or some of his other work. If Bendis had truly cared about diversity I think he would have spent more of his time creating original diverse characters and using his influence to push those characters instead of taking already popular brands, essentially race bending them, and then calling his audience racist if they did not like the work he put out with them. (That did in fact happen) Or at the very least spend more time developing certain characters instead of bailing out as soon as the wind blows the wrong way. (He leaves when most of his projects aren't getting praise so this not just a diverse thing but still it shows that it's not his primary goal to provide inclusion. )

Now again, who really knows about the Teen Lantern. Bendis may have learned a few things when he was at Marvel with how to and how not to handle diversity. Maybe the new Teen Lantern will be boss. But just from outsider observing the full path of his superhero comic career up to this point... I'm highly suspicious to say the least.
    Marvel's use of characters of color has always been about profit, you think Black Panther would've gotten a movie if it wasn't gonna break bank? In mainstream media black is only really beautiful when it's profitable and that is because it is important to certain reader demographics. I think you are overthinking it. Just because a writer doesn't knock it out the park each time doesn't mean they don't care about their work. I don't know this man personally and i don't presume to know his heart but the implication that these characters are "stunts" feel like too far of a reach and somewhat insulting. Bad press doesn't always sell, so it seems less likely to me that he would purposely open himself up to the prejudices of fans for notoriety than just recognizing that having more diverse characters is important and he should use his pull to establish some. Especially when he has two black daughters and he works in an industry where the biggest names are white faces. It would makes sense that he would use big brands that are already established for characters like Miles and Riri because they're less likely to get seeped under the rug but characters like Jessica Jones, Maria Hill and Quake weren't exactly attached to big franchises and they are pretty well established characters. Also, there is racial bias and prejudice (I would hesitate to say full-on racism but it could definitely is a factor sometimes) in the comics and we see all shades of it whenever any character of color is introduced so I wouldn't be surprised if he called some of his detractors racist. I think people are starting to get this complex about Bendis almost in the same way they get a complex about Didio, like they're some kind of villain scheming. That's just my perspective tho. maybe we just see different things.

Back to Teen Lantern, I think a new take on the Green Lantern idea with a Bolivian character could be cool. I find the idea of hacking the Green Lantern power instead of an umpteenth Human lantern being chosen is a wonderful idea. Even though I love most of the Lanterns, it never made much sense to be that the rings keep choosing human recruits without explanation. We're 6 Lanterns deep! I think Teen Lantern is a clever workaround. Let's just hope DC keeps her distinct and doesn't give into temptation to upgrade her up and make it 7.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-04-2019 at 05:06 PM.

currently following:

Justice League #15 Preview:

You could read more here

I didnt know John had a sister, she just appeared in YJ.