Page 21 of 103 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Have any of you seen this clip?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Have any of you seen this clip?

Ya we talked about it a few pages back I think.

I Didn't know that Lyn was going to be John's sister in the comics. Sadly it didn't go through but YJ went with it

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Generally speaking, I don't think it's so much that it makes people uncomfortable (although I guess it does a few people), as it is some just aren't interested in being preached identity politics in their superhero fantasies. And seeing how much it's been going on lately (more so at Marvel than at DC), some people are extremely fatigued by it. Also, it stands the chance of lessening your audience because not everyone is going to agree with whatever message the writer is trying to push on them. In the worst cases, creators are clearly more interested in pushing identity politics than in putting out a good product, as is the case with Star Wars... at least that's the view held by many people these days.
    Don't believe that LIE.

What folks who claim that want is the identity politics fit what THEY believe in.

It boils down to this "I don't want to see (insert POC. LGBTQ or female) shown as a HUMAN BEING.

See it's OKAY for Batman to deal with gun violence in Seduction of the Gun that featured a scene of BLACK kids PREACHING to Tim Drake about gun violence.

Yet when Champions showed Miles Morales dealing with gun violence at his school and made NO attacks on the NRA but FOCUSED on Miles. You had folks go NUTS and said there would be HELL to pay for what Marvel did. THe NRA, gun owners and TRump were going to come down on Marvel. NONE OF THAT HAPPENED. But because it was about Miles Morales-the biracial boy-folks took issue.

Here is some food for thought-I have to use blacks because I am not sure about other races.
    How many original created black characters have their own EVERYTHING-legacy free origin, rogue gallery, supporting cast & optional love interest.

DC
    Black Lightning
    Cyborg-a case can be made.
    (maybe Silencer-I don't read her book)
    (Xero does not count as he belong to Priest again)
    (Duke is a gray area)

Marvel
    Black Panther
    Night Thrasher
    Luke Cage
    Blade
    Moon Girl (sort of)
    (Riri (she never called herself Iron Man)
    (Maybe Blue Marvel)

Spawn
    Malcolm Dragon
    Genius
    The upcoming Khary Randolph project
    (honorable mentions to Versell, Prodigy, Mayhem & Reyn)

Darkhorse
    Martha Washington
    Bankshot
    Mystery Girl
    Concrete Park

Action Labs
    Midnight Tiger

First Comics/Eclipse
    Sabre
    Power Man (of Africa)

Black Mask
    Black

Milestone
    Static
    Hardware
    Icon

Lion Forge
    Noble
    Superb
    Quincible-sort of

Valiant
    Quantum (& Woody)
    Livewire
    Divinity
    Shadow Man-although he might be a gray area.

Thank goodness for Image, Marvel, Milestone, Lion Forge & Valiant.

Noble, Luke & Malcolm Dragon are the only ones MARRIED with children. Malcolm is the only shown having "relations" in too graphic of nature.

From Justice League #19

Eh, Barry would just not have this reaction regardless of whatever they happen to be looking at. Someone should tell Snyder this isn't Wally West and he's not writing the DCAU.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Eh, Barry would just not have this reaction regardless of whatever they happen to be looking at. Someone should tell Snyder this isn't Wally West and he's not writing the DCAU.
    With all due respect, ugh it's not that deep. I never really understood this complaint, why is it bad that Barry has common traits with Wally? The characters have plenty of dissimilar traits so I don't see the issue people have when you preceive any similarity. Like, he's The Flash, he runs fast, why does his level of enthusiasm or number of jokes matter? It just feels like one of those gripes that's doesn't serve an purpose other than drain the fun out of reading a story about pretty dudes and handsome women in tights breaking the space time continuum or whatever impossible thing of the week.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    With all due respect, ugh it's not that deep. I never really understood this complaint, why is it bad that Barry has common traits with Wally? The characters have plenty of dissimilar traits so I don't see the issue people have when you preceive any similarity. Like, he's The Flash, he runs fast, why does his level of enthusiasm or number of jokes matter? It just feels like one of those gripes that's doesn't serve an purpose other than drain the fun out of reading a story about pretty dudes and handsome women in tights breaking the space time continuum or whatever impossible thing of the week.
    Technically you're not wrong. It doesn't ruin the story or anything, but most fans have expectations when it comes to how the characters are portrayed. It's not a hill to die on but it's noticeable and I don't see the problem with bringing it up. If John Stewart suddenly started acting like Hal Jordan I imagine people would bring it up as well.

Maybe if he met Albert Einstein or something .

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It's not that they're similar, it's because they've been screwing over Wally since the New 52 and quite literally copied and pasted his personality onto Barry. Not counting the CW show, Wally's portrayal in the DCAU is the flash's most popular iteration outside of the comics (similar to John), which is why most people expect him to act that way, not knowing that it's Wally and not Barry under that mask. I don't blame the casual fans for it too much though, their costumes are pretty much the same so it can be hard to tell. Barry's got his own sense of humor for sure, but he's no Wally. Now let me pose some questions: What if Hal Jordan started acting like Kyle Rayner and was BENEFITING from it, basically making it status quo, leaving Kyle behind in the wind because of "u know who's" problem with any character that's not the original? What incentive would there be for people to read about 2 characters who share the same name and act the same way?

I know, John Stewart thread. Got off topic there

Was Scott Snyder the only writer who written Barry like Wally? I think Geoff Johns did the same during Justice League origins. That's the only time I recall Barry being written that way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I was not aware of Mark Russel being interested in writing a John Stewart book. Thanks for posting this!

I would be buying this book day one if it ever happens. I'm sure this will make Anthony happy, seeing John and Kat together.
    You're welcome! I wasn't expecting this response to what else he'd like to do in DC at all.

I'd be down for John and Kat together too. I liked her when she appeared in JL/JLU and didn't find out about the comic version of her until much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    You're welcome! I wasn't expecting this response to what else he'd like to do in DC at all.

I'd be down for John and Kat together too. I liked her when she appeared in JL/JLU and didn't find out about the comic version of her until much later.
    To tell you the truth, I was surprised! This is actually good news, since there are some writers out there that's interested in writing the character. It gives me hope.

I don't see DC ever bringing Kat back from the dead. I'm pretty sure if the book was green lit, the story would be focused on John's early days as a Green Lantern. I mentioned a while ago in the very old John thread that I think John should have a solo that focus on his early days as a Green Lantern. I felt this was ideal so we can see the more architectural side of John, rather than the Marine side, since the book will be taking place way before Xanshi ever happened. I think a lot of new readers these days see more of the Marine side of John than the architectural side of the character.

Kat was written really well in the JL/JLU show. I liked seeing the two work together and it was nice seeing her training John. I would like to see something like that in his origin story.

Was Scott Snyder the only writer who written Barry like Wally? I think Geoff Johns did the same during Justice League origins. That's the only time I recall Barry being written that way, though.
    I don't think he was written like that in the early New-52, though I haven't read a good portion of Johns' JL run so I can't tell if it was like that later on. It also seems to be a new thing for Snyder since Barry wasn't written like that in Metal. It's no big deal and I won't derail the thread any further, I thought it was just noticeable.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-25-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    I didn't see this posted here, but I heard something interesting when listening to this podcast with Mark Russell.

It was mostly about Wonder Twins, but at around the 25:10 mark, he gets asked if there's anything else he'd like to do at DC.

Russell says he'd really like to do a John Stewart Green Lantern series with him and Katma Tui. His vision is that they would go to different planets and solve central issues. He was comparing it to Star Trek. He also said, he'd like it to be part romantic comedy that explores John's and Katma's relationship (they'd be beginning to date) and also part Twilight Zone.

It's something he pitched already and mentioned maybe after Morrison's done on GL. I don't know if he just personally would rather wait or it's something else. The interviewer brought up it even being mini series and he said he'd be okay with that too.
    I'd buy that!

I was not aware of Mark Russel being interested in writing a John Stewart book. Thanks for posting this!

I would be buying this book day one if it ever happens. I'm sure this will make Anthony happy, seeing John and Kat together.
    Am I that transparent?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Am I that transparent?
    Kind of lol