Page 26 of 103 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I 100% agree. I think we need more John appearances outside Lantern or Justice League books. I feel it would go a long way in helping undo some of the damage from decades of character mismanagement. Letting him bounce off a diverse crop of characters and story types could breath new life into the character.
    One thing you have to be aware of is which books he would appear in. Not every DC book reaches the public outside of a comic book store.

If it's Batman family, Green Arrow, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, whatever the mess known as the Titan franchise, Justice League & Deathstroke-he's fine.

The rest it's a crap shoot. Some appear and others don't. Too bad the New Age books are gone-there was plenty of love for Silencer.

And I did take your challenge of a John Stewart redesign. I just have to redo it on a respectable size of paper. Of course my design comes with something else. I will try to post the link (since I stink at doing attachment photos) this weekend. This will force me to do my other project with some guy in black & yellow.

Extraordinary Member

Superhero movies these days are starting to move toward minority leads, since there's successes superhero minority-led films.
    is the word minority-offensive?
    I think folks need to start using the world poc again since worldwide poc are the majority,and women are not minorities.
    They are the majority in america and worldwide as well.
    I am saying that because i notice over the years only on the internet that poc and women started being call minorities and i thought that battle was won years ago to stop using that word.

Here is something on that here.
    Should You Use the Word 'Minority'
    What do you or DiversityInc think about the use of the word “minority” In my personal life, I have begun to use the term “people of color” to represent anyone non-white. I find the word “minority” offensive and degrading to the people it represents, regardless of race. But more so because the word is originally a math term meaning “the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.” I am concerned about children growing up hearing themselves being referred to as a minority and society telling them that they are “less than” before they even have a chance to prove themselves. Your thoughts
    Answer:
    I agree. I avoid the word “minority” as much as possible. It’s also DiversityInc’s editorial policy.
    I also don’t like the use of the word “diverse” to represent everyone but white people. All human beings are a part of “diversity.”

To read more go here.
    https://www.diversityinc.com/should-...word-minority/
    Last edited by mace11; 03-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You're kidding, right? Hal Jordan can very easily upstage John Stewart, as he's done in nearly everything that has featured both characters. Hal Jordan is almost always given precedence over John Stewart.

As far as what has been confirmed, that is off the table. There might be a script being worked on, but there is no Green Lantern Corps movie being planned for release. WB is focusing on other comic characters. If or when WB gets around to GLC, you could wind up with a totally different t script and plan. Like Jessica Cruz or something.
    Well, why do you think that Hal is slated to be older and John to be younger? They're purposely making it that way to ensure that John is the focus character and also to get rid of Hal as soon as possible. They need Hal in the movie just because John Stewart needs Hal Jordan to take his place as the next GL of Earth, much like the Ant-Man movie needed Hank Pym to introduce Scott Lang, so Lang could inherit the Ant-Man mantle from Pym.

Usually in the type of "buddy cop" scenarios we're told to expect from GLC, one of the characters is made to be the "veteran" so the "rookie" could get most of the focus since the story is told through his perspective. That's how it was with Will Smith in Men In Black, that's how it was with Ethan Hawke in Training Day, that's how I expect it to be here too. In this day and age WB would not put out a superhero movie with a white guy and a black guy and have the latter play the sidekick to the former. Even if Johns were to write a script like that, the studio would either tell him to change it or hire someone else to rewrite it. I'm not worried about John Stewart's role at all, I'm just not sure whether it's ever going to get made. Maybe with Aquaman's success and if Shazam ends up doing well, it could have a better chance of becoming a reality.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-15-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You're kidding, right? Hal Jordan can very easily upstage John Stewart, as he's done in nearly everything that has featured both characters. Hal Jordan is almost always given precedence over John Stewart.

As far as what has been confirmed, that is off the table. There might be a script being worked on, but there is no Green Lantern Corps movie being planned for release. WB is focusing on other comic characters. If or when WB gets around to GLC, you could wind up with a totally different t script and plan. Like Jessica Cruz or something.
    lol No, I'm not kidding I used to think the same way you do as well. But WB owns DC Comics, not the other way around. I believe they're the one's who wants John to be in the film as well. Assuming the script is greenlit, I don't think John being added as a co-lead has to do with him playing as a background character here. It would not look right for one of your most popular minority characters to be featured in a film just to play a background character for Hal. You have like 10 A-list actors requesting to play the character. There was too many complaints about John not being in the Green Lantern movie. Lots of John Stewart rumors talk in outside media for years since the start of DCEU. Hal Jordan does not have the same kind of presence you would expect from the character during the Johns era, to where he was the only Lantern featured in outside media. I would agree with you if that was the still the case. Other Green Lanterns are being used in other media adaptions. There would be tons of backlash if John is playing background character to Hal, especially considering you have successful minority led superhero movies being on the rise in the modern era.

Even knowing that Geoff Johns is writing the script, it's up to the WB execs to greenlit his script. So even if Hal is used more in his script, that could be changed in the final script from another writer.

I don't even think Geoff Johns wants John Stewart to be in the film. I felt he is there because Geoff Johns has no choice to use John as a necessity, due to him still being a real popular character. Not only this, but Geoff Johns may think there's a higher chance of WB accepting the script if John is a co-lead.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 03-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Is john stewart really more popular then cyborg?
    No.

I like john more then cyborg but i think cyborg is more known.
    Cyborg has more appearances in comics and has been shown more in different dc media outside of comics than john.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-15-2019 at 07:20 PM.

I'd say the 3 current most popular black DC characters in no particular order are John Stewart, Cyborg and Black Lightning. People know there's an African-American GL regardless of the fact that Cyborg has had more outside media representation

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Is john stewart really more popular then cyborg?
    No.

I like john more then cyborg but i think cyborg is more known.
    Cyborg as more appearances in comics and has been shown more in different dc media outside of comics than john.
    To be completely fair, I said one of your most popular character, not your most popular character.

Yes, DC has decided to use Cyborg more, since Johns wanted him as one of the founders of the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'd say the 3 current most popular black DC characters in no particular order are John Stewart, Cyborg and Black Lightning. People know there's an African-American GL regardless of the fact that Cyborg has had more outside media representation
    I totally agree with this.

I feel Mr. Terrific should be up there but he hasn't been as prominent in other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel Mr. Terrific should be up there but he hasn't been as prominent in other media.
    I think he should have been showcased better in Arrow, or have his own CW series. A character like that deserves it. 3rd smartest man in the DCU? How can he not have his own series? lol

It would've been amazing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One thing you have to be aware of is which books he would appear in. Not every DC book reaches the public outside of a comic book store.

If it's Batman family, Green Arrow, Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman, whatever the mess known as the Titan franchise, Justice League & Deathstroke-he's fine.

The rest it's a crap shoot. Some appear and others don't. Too bad the New Age books are gone-there was plenty of love for Silencer.

And I did take your challenge of a John Stewart redesign. I just have to redo it on a respectable size of paper. Of course my design comes with something else. I will try to post the link (since I stink at doing attachment photos) this weekend. This will force me to do my other project with some guy in black & yellow.
    That's dope, I actually had a commission done based on a pipedream pitch I posted a couple pages back.

You talking about Signal?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think he should have been showcased better in Arrow, or have his own CW series. A character like that deserves it. 3rd smartest man in the DCU? How can he not have his own series? lol

It would've been amazing if you ask me.
    I think Arrow was just too far along too early. They introduced Mr. Terrific before he had his signal boost from Metal and The Terrifics. I don't they they expected him to be significant so they just slapped that name on a random sidekick. He was basically a different character, even down to the design. I think they need to put him on a DCU show or a movie, CW just wasn't a good fit for the character.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I think Arrow was just too far along too early. They introduced Mr. Terrific before he had his signal boost from Metal and The Terrifics. I don't they they expected him to be significant so they just slapped that name on a random sidekick. He was basically a different character, even down to the design. I think they need to put him on a DCU show or a movie, CW just wasn't a good fit for the character.
    Yea, I totally agree.

I would be excited if he had his own series or movie.

Design-wise he wasn't that far off in Mr. Terrific mode, but considering how Arrow/the CW operates, I don't think prominence would have changed much from how they handled him.

But yeah, Curtis really didn't do justice to the Mr. Terrific name.

I think Static might be up there as well. Although he might need an asterisk since he's Milestone.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!