Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I didnt know John had a sister, she just appeared in YJ.
    Yeah, that's one of those things that get lost in the shuffle when John gets stuck on background duty. Pre-Flashpoint was a key aspect of his pathos.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

I am not enjoying this Justice League run. It's overwritten, the "forces" are corny (I can't take anything called the Invisible Emotional Spectrum or Ultra Violet Lantern seriously at all), the mystery isn't exciting anymore, and it seems to primarily be written by James Tynion now. Is Scott Snyder too lazy to write this himself? Why is so much of it being delegated to Tynion, I wonder?

Also, John Stewart's internalized power doesn't really seem all that different from Jade, so that's nothing I'm too excited about.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-04-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I didnt know John had a sister, she just appeared in YJ.
    I didn't know either. I know who Lynn is but I didn't know she was related to John. It might just be YJ canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I am not enjoying this Justice League run. It's overwritten, the "forces" are corny (I can't take anything called the Invisible Emotional Spectrum or Ultra Violet Lantern seriously at all), the mystery isn't exciting anymore, and it seems to primarily be written by James Tynion now. Is Scott Snyder too lazy to write this himself? Why is so much of it being delegated to Tynion, I wonder?

Also, John Stewart's internalized power doesn't really seem all that different from Jade, so that's nothing I'm too excited about.
    I like that they're writing together. All the JL titles are supposed to be working along side each other so if the writers help one another its way better for continuity and plans. I do too find Snyder a bit too overstuffed with ideas but so far i'm liking what he's doing with John.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I didn't know either. I know who Lynn is but I didn't know she was related to John. It might just be YJ canon.

Lynn Stewart being John’s sister was something that Tony Isabella had planned when he wrote Black Lightning originally. But the plans fell through for whatever reasons.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Lynn Stewart being John’s sister was something that Tony Isabella had planned when he wrote Black Lightning originally. But the plans fell through for whatever reasons.
    Ah makes sense.

I like that they're writing together. All the JL titles are supposed to be working along side each other so if the writers help one another its way better for continuity and plans. I do too find Snyder a bit too overstuffed with ideas but so far i'm liking what he's doing with John.
    I agree with this. I would say I was a little worried of James Tynion being involved, since I don't know how much he views John Stewart, but things seems to be going alright so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I'm betting Synder is going to link the power to his physical health. As in he "recharges" in his sleep and when he is physically exhausted his power begins to fade. However, considering he is now imbued with pure will , John's endurance probably is (Should Be) much greater than you average human being. But those are just my thoughts on how I would imagine some of the new aspects of his powers would work.

I'm very interested in how this "new" power will effect him mentally. Will he have to be careful of not desiring something enough that he just instantly forms it from his mind? Will he to figure out so form of sleep remedy as to not make his dreams come to life while resting?

Those could be some very fun avenues to explore with the character for 2019.

Another thing I would like to see is a different costume. The one he has now is his iconic uniform and I do enjoy it very much but it be nice to see him wear something else for a short period of time. Most of the "A-Listers" have worn a few different suits over the years why not give John a shot at it?

Here's a couple redesign's I found online that I thought were cool:
    This is an interesting speculation. It looks like John's willpower might play a huge role in what's going on with John Stewart currently. There's just so many good ideas for the character.

Those are great costumes!

I'm excited about his new powers! Seeing what Snyder is doing is refreshing and I'm here for it. Hopefully other writers take note on whats happening with him but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    It actually gives writers the opportunity to explore more on the character, thanks to what Scott Snyder has been doing with John. I'm sure if Van Jensen starts to work for DC again and he's a writer of a John Stewart book, I'm sure he's going to use some of those ideas from Justice League.

Did John make an appearance in YJ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It actually gives writers the opportunity to explore more on the character, thanks to what Scott Snyder has been doing with John. I'm sure if Van Jensen starts to work for DC again and he's a writer of a John Stewart book, I'm sure he's going to use some of those ideas from Justice League.
    Has there been some word or hint of Jensen returning? I haven't heard of Van Jensen writing anything for DC ever since his run with Robert Venditti on The Flash, and I think that was way back in 2014 or so. Furthermore, I think DC only used Jensen because they needed someone to write GLC on very short notice when Fialkov abruptly left, and Robert Venditti did Jensen a solid and recommended him. Still, I think it's a shame DC has stuck with Venditti this long and Jensen has faded away or only worked for much smaller publishers, because I think Jensen is the better writer.

There doesn't seem to be very strong continuity in comics these days. Oftentimes, writers ignore what previous writers did, or abruptly change directions (often with little or no explanation in the stories) and just do their own things until they leave the book (which is oftentimes after about a year these days), and then the next writer ignores what they did and kind of starts wherever they want. It's not just a John Stewart or black character thing, or anything like that. There's a lot of that going on across the board at the larger publishers now, which is a shame, because I find it more and more difficult to get invested in current projects knowing that whatever I'm reading is likely to not matter a fig a year later. I'd be surprised if that Ultra Violet stuff makes it into any comics outside Justice League in any meaningful way, especially since, in my opinion, it's a humdrum idea with extremely silly terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Did John make an appearance in YJ?
    Yes he did, forgot which episode but he was just in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Has there been some word or hint of Jensen returning? I haven't heard of Van Jensen writing anything for DC ever since his run with Robert Venditti on The Flash, and I think that was way back in 2014 or so. Furthermore, I think DC only used Jensen because they needed someone to write GLC on very short notice when Fialkov abruptly left, and Robert Venditti did Jensen a solid and recommended him. Still, I think it's a shame DC has stuck with Venditti this long and Jensen has faded away or only worked for much smaller publishers, because I think Jensen is the better writer.
    Agreed. I was just speculating if he ever comes back to DC, I'm sure he would carry on the trend to what Scott Snyder did with him. I personally thought Robert Venditti was the worst lantern writer, compared to the other writers who took over Red Lanterns, New Guardians, Sinestro, and GLC. I was surprised Robert Venditti was there longer than them.

I think Van Jensen is underrated.

There doesn't seem to be very strong continuity in comics these days. Oftentimes, writers ignore what previous writers did, or abruptly change directions (often with little or no explanation in the stories) and just do their own things until they leave the book (which is oftentimes after about a year these days), and then the next writer ignores what they did and kind of starts wherever they want. It's not just a John Stewart or black character thing, or anything like that. There's a lot of that going on across the board at the larger publishers now, which is a shame, because I find it more and more difficult to get invested in current projects knowing that whatever I'm reading is likely to not matter a fig a year later. I'd be surprised if that Ultra Violet stuff makes it into any comics outside Justice League in any meaningful way, especially since, in my opinion, it's a humdrum idea with extremely silly terminology.
    Yea, I've been noticing this too. The scary thought is when a writer may not care as much for a character and do away what the previous writer has successfully did for that character. I've seen this many times in the New 52.

About the Ultra Violet, I think there's a strong chance that its concept will appear in other comics outside of JL, because it gives other writers a foundation on what to build for their next story. And Justice League seems to be really popular at the moment.

Yes he did, forgot which episode but he was just in the background.
    Thanks! It's nice to see John still appear in that cartoon. I was worried he wasn't going to be in the new season.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

John Stewart is my favorite Green Lantern and one of my favorite comic book characters.
    Thanks for starting this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    John Stewart is my favorite Green Lantern and one of my favorite comic book characters.
    Thanks for starting this thread.
    Its nice to see you back