Page 31 of 103 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

CBR also has made an article on what happened on CW Legacies. Be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It's very impressive that John Stewart is STILL popular to this day. Despite writers like Geoff Johns, Tom King, and others trying to make their silver age lantern character the greatest and put down John Stewart by lowering his popularity and trying to make him seem uninteresting, John still remains popular among people. Those people don't view those lantern characters the same way writers do. This popular show proved that!
    I think that's pretty impressive, too. He basically hasn't had anyone in his corner since the Justice League cartoons, which were like 50 years ago by now, and DC has done near everything they can to bury and destroy the character, and in some circles, he's still considered the greatest Green Lantern. If I recall correctly, DC did their own poll battle with John Stewart and Hal Jordan and John actually won it. I think the votes were mostly tallied from Youtube comments. So, that supports and idea that when you take this discussion to a more general sphere (like Youtube as opposed to some comic fan hang out), John Stewart may actually be more popular. That is something when you consider Hal Jordan, at a time, was given practically the sun and the moon, and still is to a degree, while John Stewart was/is ignored and pooped on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Then again... there was what Bendis did to Rhodey so he could make way for his own creation... so... I dunno'. But I think the point stands.
    Riri Williams NEVER called herself War Machine or Iron Man. Unlike Doom & some guy named Punisher. But to many Riri's guilt is she's a black female under the Marvel banner so she has to get hate like Shuri & Moon Girl get.

I should correct something I said above some. I don't necessarily think you positively need a black person behind the scenes for black characters to be done justice in a sea of old time white heroes. But I think you often need someone who actually cares about this stuff, and a black person, on average, is more likely to care than a Geoff Johns or someone like that. Otherwise, as DC has shown us with such shining examples as John Stewart and Cyborg, it's way too easy for these characters to be mishandled, forgotten, buried, and abused.
    I think the issue is who does the best job of presenting the character.

Look at Mr Terrific. Who did him better Eric Wallace or Johns?
    Look at Static NOT under McDuffie.
    Look at Black Wally NOT under Priest.
    Look at Black Panther the last 21 years-anything with his NAME has been written mainly by BLACKS.

I would say you do need a black person behind the scenes who is NOT limited to the fake woke and fake Pro-back mess.
    You need someone who understand VARIETY of blackness.

John Stewart had a FAMILY not just SJW BLM Mommy that DC wants to toss out.
    Duke Thomas has a FATHER-not just a mother.
    Wallace West can be saved by a nonwhite male once in a while.
    Vixen can be more than DC's Tyra Banks.
    Cyborg can wear clothes.
    Black males like Lucius from Doom Patrol DO exist.
    Malcolm Duncan is more than a sperm donor.
    Karen Duncan can be seen with her HUSBAND and baby.

The issue we have is (on both side) is no willing to show a fully developed black person at DC. Know what showing half done black folks get you? It gets you looking up at Amazon book sales and seeing Black Panther & Miles & Moon Girl & Shuri & Riri & various black indy books outselling yours.
    Only 29,590 books on Amazon out sell Black Panther solos.
    700,000 outsell Cyborg's solos.
    Duke's top selling black male lead book is still Batman & Signal and he trails Panther by 200,000.

BANNED

Would love to see Jordan Peele direct WB's Green Lantern Corps film, with John at the center.

I think he could find a way to use constructs that wouldn't be cheesy.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 03-30-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Would love to see Jordan Peele direct WB's Green Lantern Corps film, with John at the center.

I would watch anything by Jordan Peele at this point, the man is on a roll. Having him do something with one of my favorite characters would be dope, I could see him taking John out on a Chthulu-esque Lovecraftian cosmic horror adventure. However, i don't believe he's interested in doing superhero movies (i think he said as much in an interview). If they do go the John route with Green Lantern I would go with Gerard McMurray, he did the First Purge, Burning Sands, and he's slated to direct an episode of Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone. Get someone with a strong script and I could see it being an awesome outing for John.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-31-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think that's pretty impressive, too. He basically hasn't had anyone in his corner since the Justice League cartoons, which were like 50 years ago by now, and DC has done near everything they can to bury and destroy the character, and in some circles, he's still considered the greatest Green Lantern. If I recall correctly, DC did their own poll battle with John Stewart and Hal Jordan and John actually won it. I think the votes were mostly tallied from Youtube comments. So, that supports and idea that when you take this discussion to a more general sphere (like Youtube as opposed to some comic fan hang out), John Stewart may actually be more popular. That is something when you consider Hal Jordan, at a time, was given practically the sun and the moon, and still is to a degree, while John Stewart was/is ignored and pooped on.
    That's very impressive. I remembered that poll, I didn't even expect for John Stewart to come out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Good artwork. I still don't have no respect for what Judd Winick did to John Stewart, though.

BANNED

John Stewart IS my Green Lantern pick (and has been since the airing of the JL toon). Hal has always been a boring character to me and I wish he (and Barry Allen) had stayed dead in the DCU. Give me John Stewart as GL and Wally West as Flash any day!!

I had an interesting thought, so in the latest Justice League title, it's revealed that Future Superman is actually the World Forger and that all these "future Justice League" members are actually what he needs them to become in order to save the universe. This is revelations makes we look at "future" Flash and John, but particularly John. He needs John to become a white lantern wit hthe ability to create Earths for the multiverse. Going back to the first arc, they realized that they need to use these new forces not fight them and we saw the Earth become a White Lantern when John and J'onn united everyone. So here's my theory, I think that the UV can be used to manifest different lights within the Emotional Spectrum including the White Lantern, and with John's unique physiology, he will able to access the White light if he understood and mastered the new nature of his powers. thoughts?

currently following:

Good video.

Justice League vs. Fatal Five has a nod to John.

spoilers:
    Early on in the movie, Wonder Woman mentions that John is on Rann fighting the Dominators, which is why the team recruits Jessica Cruz in the first place.

Later, there's a scene where several of the Justice League members end up the future and find museum wing devoted to superheroes of the 21st century. There's a Green Lantern exhibit where a statue of John is shown alongside Hal, Guy, Kyle and Jessica. It's his Justice League design, rather than his JLU one.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Holt; 04-03-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member

tweet that to him

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Justice League vs. Fatal Five has a nod to John.

spoilers:
    Early on in the movie, Wonder Woman mentions that John is on Rann fighting the Dominators, which is why the team recruits Jessica Cruz in the first place.

Later, there's a scene where several of the Justice League members end up the future and find museum wing devoted to superheroes of the 21st century. There's a Green Lantern exhibit where a statue of John is shown alongside Hal, Guy, Kyle and Jessica. It's his Justice League design, rather than his JLU one.
    end of spoilers
    It should have just had him as the Green Lantern in the dang movie if it takes place in the DCAU. Seriously, why has John Stewart been unceremoniously pushed out of DC adaptations for the last 13 or 14 years? The best he's had in that entire amount of time was some DLC in the Injustice games and bit parts in Teen Titans GO and Young Justice. It's sick to me that when DC actually goes to the continuity that SHOULD have him as the Green Lantern, they still won't use him. The common denominator here is Dan DiDio. Ever since he became editor in chief at DC, John Stewart's character has been mostly worthless.