Page 37 of 103 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Women of color, particularly black women.
    Nope,if you talking about women of color then black women have better then other women of color in america like native americans,latino,brown race types etc..and i think even east asian american women.

If you talking world wide for women of color for fantasy and sci-fi then women of color in east asia have it better then other women of color since east asia makes more sci and fantasy films,shows and comics etc..then africa or caribbean for example,but things are improving.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-07-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    In the Black Lightning show his daughters are the true stars, it should be called Thunder & Lightning, they receive all the good story arcs and character development. Same thing in Black Panther everybody wants Shuri to take the place of T’Challa and for the Dora Milaje to receive their own spin off despite it being T’Challas mythos. It’s sad that even when a story is supposed to be about a black male he always gets pushed to back by his supporting cast, most of the time female, an argument could be made about Luke Cage as well, as people wanted Misty Knight featured over him.
    Not true.
    I am not buying it and holt has a point.
    In black panther,luke cage and black Lightning the main male star still get the most focus on the show,the best story or still really good arcs and the most character development.
    The reasons why some folks want to see spin offs etc.. of female characters because the shows and movies are doing a really good job telling the stories of the supporting casts or main casts,unlike the main current x-men films for most of the main casts.

Plus there are folks who are aware that the female characters are superheroes in there own right from the comics,cartoons etc..so they are some that talk the loudest.

It's not that different when someone says they want to see a superman spin off show from supergirl or a john diggle show etc...so it's just not only certain black male current focus fantasy films and shows.
    Note-for Black Lightning season 2 that could be currently true or not since i need to see the rest of season 2 for myself.

As for the blade tv show i still have not seen it yet,but from what i heard that would be what you maybe talking about.
    I am not going say it's true or not since i have not seen it yet and i am not taking anyones words for it on these forums.
    There is a asian male character i read that get a lot focus on that show too.
    The asian male actor will be in the upcoming live action stargirl tv show.
    I posted that info in marvel asian superhero thread before it was closed.

Note-for Black Lightning season 2 that could be currently true or not since i need to see the rest of season 2 for myself.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-07-2019 at 07:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    As for the blade tv show i still have not seen it yet,but from what i heard that would be what you maybe talking about.
    I am not going say it's true or not since i have not seen it yet and i am not taking anyones words for it on these forums.
    There is a asian male character i read that get a lot focus on that show too.
    The asian male actor will be in the upcoming live action stargirl tv show.
    I posted that info in marvel asian superhero thread before it was closed.
    *shrug*
    You don't need to take my word for it, just go watch the show for yourself.

Actually, look it up on Google. Here is the little synopsis that will pop up. It's surprisingly accurate for what the show is like.

"Krista Starr returns from Iraq to learn that her twin brother, Zack, has died under mysterious circumstances. Krista soon meets Blade, as well as the killer himself, Marcus Van Sciver (Geoff Johns influence right there), a powerful vampire who becomes smitten with her, turning her into a vampire by injecting her with his blood. Blade then injects her with the same serum he uses to control his own vampire instincts. Blade offers Krista a chance to help avenge her brother's death and bring down Marcus. The series is based on the comic-book character Blade and the series of movies featuring him."

I haven't seen the show at all in over a year, but I think it's safe to say that this "Krista Starr" character is the real protagonist of the show. One way or another, she eats up a surprising amount of focus. More than Blade, I would say.

Why does Geoff Johns keep pushing major black male characters in the background? He's done it to Cyborg, John Stewart, and Blade. Again, all major world famous characters. Three strikes and you're out.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-07-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    *shrug*
    You don't need to take my word for it, just go watch the show for yourself.

Actually, look it up on Google. Here is the little synopsis that will pop up. It's surprisingly accurate for what the show is like.

"Krista Starr returns from Iraq to learn that her twin brother, Zack, has died under mysterious circumstances. Krista soon meets Blade, as well as the killer himself, Marcus Van Sciver (Geoff Johns influence right there), a powerful vampire who becomes smitten with her, turning her into a vampire by injecting her with his blood. Blade then injects her with the same serum he uses to control his own vampire instincts. Blade offers Krista a chance to help avenge her brother's death and bring down Marcus. The series is based on the comic-book character Blade and the series of movies featuring him."

I haven't seen the show at all in over a year, but I think it's safe to say that this "Krista Starr" character is the real protagonist of the show. One way or another, she eats up a surprising amount of focus. More than Blade, I would say.

Why does Geoff Johns keep pushing major black male characters in the background? He's done it to Cyborg, John Stewart, and Blade. Again, all major world famous characters. Three strikes and you're out.
    I heard he did a good job writing black panther in marvel comics years ago.
    I guess marvel did not let him push black panther in the background if he was planning to do it.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I heard he did a good job writing black panther in marvel comics years ago.
    I guess marvel did not let him push black panther in the background if he was planning to do it.
    He doesn’t have the power at Marvel that he has at DC. He made a few hits at DC and was able to ascend to the CCO then to one of the heads of the live action adaptations. While he was on Avengers I’m sure he had strict editors that wouldn’t allow him to do whatever he wants, that’s probably why didn’t return to Marvel.

I mean, it could just've been that he legitimately likes Black Panther more than he does John Stewart (which is not hard; he clearly doesn't care much for John, as everyone has already noted by now). He gave the character a pretty interesting dynamic in the team reflective of the more ambiguous depiction Priest was doing in the solo book at the time. I can't say if that was editorial forcing Johns to use Panther or not, but the character was booted off the team as soon as Geoff's run was over, so I'm guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Negligence opens the door to calls of "do you hate this character?"
    Lets look at some examples-

Priest did not care for Black Panther.
    Dwayne McDuffie did NOT want 4 blacks on his Justice League run. In fact he confessed to NOT liking one of them.
    Gail Simone nor Ethan cared for Firestorm.

Jason Rusch under the pens of Conway, Jurdens & Johns
    Duke Thomas under Tom King's pen.
    Duke Thomas under Brian Hill's pen.
    Black Panther under Coates pen.
    Static under Scott Mcdaniel's pen.

The top 4 did their jobs.

Where is Jason Rusch? Doomsday Clock made it clear he was NEVER Firestorm since it nullified New 52 origin.
    How does Batman train somebody in one panel cameos in Batman? That the OTHERS did not suffer from.
    I dream of the day we get a Black Panther book that is not a stealth Storm or Midnight Angels book.
    I dream of the day we get a Cyborg story where he is NOT hacked into or torn up by Wakandan rip offs in DC.

The bottom line is you can HATE whoever you want when you are assigned a book. It is YOUR job to write everyone in that book to the best of your abilities.
    Because at the END of the day you are suppose to be SELLING characters not just your PETS.
    Because you are selling that book to everyone. Because you don't KNOW who will catch on to folks.
    Because you don't KNOW who will get the call for a solo, tv show or movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    The "Negligence" excuse can only go so far until people rightfully start to think it's hate. When said character is REPEATEDLY thrown under the bus and only used to prop up other characters, especially during the time they had arguably the most fame ANY lantern has had in outside media to a whole generation, I don't think it's out of the question to believe there's something fishy going on behind the scenes. All the other human lanterns were leading their own books while John had nothing, and when he finally was integrated into the GLC book, he was playing second fiddle. He has the most consistent string of bad writing that makes him easily the most unappealing lantern out of the bunch, while the others were being boosted up and wanked. We've been talking about this a million+ times over on this thread, the one that came before this one, and the one before that, and quite frankly I'm tired of going over it so I'm gonna leave it at this:

Obviously we're not there at DC HQ and we don't literally know what's going on in the heads of the decision makers, but based on the super long history of John's sh*tty treatment at their hands (without ANY push to set things right a la Rebirth), us fans being led on with false promises, and the better treatment of the other human lanterns who weren't/aren't even the company's main focus, it's safe to say there comes a point where you should see through the bs. If you don't hold these views, fine you do you, but don't take issue with us voicing our frustration and speculation backed up with at least a decade's worth of evidence (i.e. their actions).

Time to move on.
    EXACTLY! There's no excuses. Absolutely none whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

So I had a Guardian of the Universe John Stewart commission done a while back, decided to share. I may have another commission done, maybe with a different concept and/or a different take on this concept.

Art by Matheus Rufino Dalla Lana (IG: matt_rdl)
    Beautiful artwork! I love John's design here.

Spectacular Member

A New Green Lantern Series by N.K. Jemisin Will Help Relaunch DC's Young Animal Imprint

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-green-...-re-1833937496

What does everyone think of this?

A New Green Lantern Series by N.K. Jemisin Will Help Relaunch DC's Young Animal Imprint

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-green-...-re-1833937496

I love the sound of this idea, it appears they are going out of their way to make this character very distinct and not shying away from socially consciousness. While I wish they would've taken this direction of an ambitious Lantern concept with John, especially since this is the first black written and black drawn Lantern book I've seen, I'm really excited for this title.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-10-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

On one hand, I'm intrigued as to how this will play out. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of this since it's yet ANOTHER GL. No guarantee the she or the previous GL created this year will be folded into the main DCU, but still kinda irks me in that regard.

Art looks good tho.

Spectacular Member

On one hand, I'm intrigued as to how this will play out. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of this since it's yet ANOTHER GL. No guarantee the she or the previous GL created this year will be folded into the main DCU, but still kinda irks me in that regard.

Art looks good tho.
    That’s my main compliant the character has no longevity as a Green Lantern because there’s already six others with fans hoping for them to be showcased. Not to mention that new teen lantern, DC needs to be more creative than just pushing everything towards the Green Lanterns.

Art looks good tho.
    Yeah, I think this being out of continuity like GL: Legacy doesn't really make me mad about having one more GL. Story sounds neat. I still have to agree with what you guys previously talked about DC needing to utilize more of their existing GLs, rather than just keep creating more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't remember having the impression that he would be the lead character, he was just a stormtrooper who had a change of heart.

And while it's been surprising to see the usual mud slinging go from being hurled at Hal to Jessica instead, can we change the subject please. The thread is supposed to appreciate the title character, not attack other characters.
    Yeah the mud slinging changing from Hal to Jessica was quite the surprise. Though I think John fans will turn on whichever GL seems to be getting the spotlight they feel their favorite GL (JOHN) deserves. I get that. I like John Stewart, he's my second favorite GL, and I grew up with JLU, but I just like Jessica more and I love that she's getting so much outside media exposure (more than Guy, Kyle, Simon).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I love the sound of this idea, it appears they are going out of their way to make this character very distinct and not shying away from socially consciousness. While I wish they would've taken this direction of an ambitious Lantern concept with John, especially since this is the first black written and black drawn Lantern book I've seen, I'm really excited for this title.
    Good points and I agree. I would have liked this for John, but even still I'm still excited for this story.
    Last edited by nj06; 04-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!