Page 40 of 103 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Justice League vs Fatal Five isn't a JLU reunion movie. It just uses designs from the DCAU.
    Uh....that's exactly what it is lol

BANNED

Yeah, I'm not discussing those points here anymore. I've noticed that some people will make any excuses they can for having 500 Earth Lanterns and having them all step on each others' toes. If you say something about that, you're some rabid angry dude. I think the people who don't mind this bizarre situation don't really have all that much interest in the ongoing well being of Green Lantern and don't look at things with a wide, long term view. Which is fine, I guess. They seem to just shrug and take the stories as they come without questioning if what is being done is actually wise and good for the characters. Meanwhile, occasionally, they will complain about John Stewart not getting any focus. Well, why do you think that happens, people? Do you think suddenly adding 4 or 5 other Green Lanterns and focusing on them is going to help John Stewart get more focus?
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-12-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Do you think suddenly adding 4 or 5 other Green Lanterns and focusing on them is going to help John Stewart get more focus?
    No, because as some are fond of pointing out, he already wasn't getting focus before, even at the height of his popularity with the JL TV series. If N.K. Jemisin was told she wasn't allowed to create a new Green Lantern for her series, I doubt she would've just written the ongoing to be about John instead. That's why I've found this thread turning into a bash fest against Jessica Cruz and now this new character to be somewhat counterproductive. If the issue is the writers and people up top not liking John, suddenly telling creators they aren't allowed to make any new characters isn't gonna fix anything. Getting people who genuinely have an affection for the character into editorial or creative positions is. We have him in Justice League because Scott Snyder likes the character, not because someone killed off Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz.
    Last edited by Holt; 04-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Ultimate Member

Do you think suddenly adding 4 or 5 other Green Lanterns and focusing on them is going to help John Stewart get more focus?
    That depends on what story is being told or allowed by the folks in charge.

This is a management issue.

Remember who stood in the way of Fantastic Four in comics.
    Remember the guy who stood in the way of Black Panther movie.
    Remember the guys who did NOT want a biracial Spider-Man.

What eventually happened? They were ALL removed or eventually over ruled.

Sometimes you have to remove who stands in the way.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    No, because as some are fond of pointing out, he already wasn't getting focus before, even at the height of his popularity with the JL TV series. If N.K. Jemisin was told she wasn't allowed to create a new Green Lantern for her series, I doubt she would've just written the ongoing to be about John instead. That's why I've found this thread turning into a bash fest against Jessica Cruz and now this new character to be somewhat counterproductive. If the issue is the writers and people up top not liking John, suddenly telling creators they aren't allowed to make any new characters isn't gonna fix anything. Getting people who genuinely have an affection for the character into editorial or creative positions is. We have him in Justice League because Scott Snyder likes the character, not because someone killed off Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz.
    Yes, the most attention John has ever had in recent times was his solo run of Green Lantern Corps by Jensen, which was written just after the creation of Simon Baz and during the introduction of Jessica Cruz. For John Stewart to get attention all you need is creators who like him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Uh....that's exactly what it is lol
    You need the full cast back for a reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I doubt there's bashing, unless someone has said in this thread that x character sucks. There's nothing wrong voicing your disagreement when a character is put aside for another character. When it was announced that John Stewart was in the Justice League, Hal fans complained about it to where he should be there instead of John. I have no problem with that, just like I have no problem with someone else feels the John Stewart character is not in the recent DCAU JL vs FF.

And besides, the more creation, the higher chances to use John is even more slim (this goes for other existing Green Lanterns as well) than it already was. So why give a higher risk for DC not to use him?
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-13-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Yeah, I'm not discussing those points here anymore. I've noticed that some people will make any excuses they can for having 500 Earth Lanterns and having them all step on each others' toes. If you say something about that, you're some rabid angry dude. I think the people who don't mind this bizarre situation don't really have all that much interest in the ongoing well being of Green Lantern and don't look at things with a wide, long term view. Which is fine, I guess. They seem to just shrug and take the stories as they come without questioning if what is being done is actually wise and good for the characters. Meanwhile, occasionally, they will complain about John Stewart not getting any focus. Well, why do you think that happens, people? Do you think suddenly adding 4 or 5 other Green Lanterns and focusing on them is going to help John Stewart get more focus?
    I think some aren't realizing this. When you KEEP creating new characters, it makes it hard for other Green Lantern characters. It's not healthy for the franchise. Characters like Guy and Kyle are affected by this as well. Simon, too, I think. I don't think they would be in the shelves at the DC offices if it weren't for constantly creating new Green Lanterns. Currently, there's no real good balance here. This is a good example of what happens when you create new human GL characters in a franchise that is declining since the Geoff Johns' era.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    You need the full cast back for a reunion.
    Not gonna happen, to be honest. Geoff Johns' influence seems to be happening in full force.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Yes, the most attention John has ever had in recent times was his solo run of Green Lantern Corps by Jensen, which was written just after the creation of Simon Baz and during the introduction of Jessica Cruz.
    Guy and Kyle were no longer Green Lanterns. So it left DC with no choice but to use John in GLC.

For John Stewart to get attention all you need is creators who like him.
    And The new Green Lanterns book from Rebirth refutes all of that. What writer Mark Russell said in his podcast pretty much refutes all of that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    And The new Green Lanterns book from Rebirth refutes all of that. What writer Mark Russell said in his podcast pretty much refutes all of that, too.
    What did he say?

BANNED

I've been hearing this reasoning that "John Stewart just needs a writer who likes him" for over ten years. Realistically, for John Stewart to get attention, he needs editors who want him to have attention. He would need editors to solicit pitches specifically about him. He rarely gets attention because, I'm guessing, that rarely happens. The more GL characters DC adds, the less chance that a writer or editor will actually choose to use John Stewart, especially when they can also just create a new character.

I think the last time John actually got worthwhile attention is because the editors wanted him to in an attempt to make amends for trying to kill him. Pretty sad, really.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-13-2019 at 10:53 AM.

I was actually hoping Agent Z's comments were true
    Tbf, even Timm states that its only canon if you want it to be but can also be viewed as its own thing.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Spectacular Member

I've been hearing this reasoning that "John Stewart just needs a writer who likes him" for over ten years. Realistically, for John Stewart to get attention, he needs editors who want him to have attention. He would need editors to solicit pitches specifically about him.
    True.

The more GL characters DC adds, the less chance that a writer or editor will actually choose to use John Stewart, especially when they can also just create a new character.
    DC doesn't let random small writers come up with their own Green Lanterns in the mainstream continuity. They've let Geoff Johns (after 7 years on the franchise) create two and Bendis create a sidekick character, and then they've allowed some writers to write out of continuity tales with character that will never be used again. If a writer wants to write for a main Green Lantern title they're either gonna write about one of the established characters or be a huge superstar writer.

John's problem is more that editors push writers to write about Hal Jordan rather than him, not that DC is getting too creative or anything, alongside the fact that a lot of writers like Johns grew up with Hal as the lead and aren't big Stewart fans.
    Last edited by EsotericFailures; 04-13-2019 at 12:43 PM.

And besides, the more creation, the higher chances to use John is even more slim (this goes for other existing Green Lanterns as well) than it already was. So why give a higher risk for DC not to use him?
    Because as I said, in this case that doesn't even really follow because it was a big name writer getting a tailor made book for her. It's rather unlikely had DC told her she wasn't allowed to create her own Lantern, she would've just said "Fine, I'll use John Stewart instead."

Simply put, I don't agree with that reasoning. That's why I pointed out it didn't take Jessica Cruz getting killed off or depowered for John to get back into the Justice League during the Snyder run.
    Last edited by Holt; 04-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What did he say?
    He likes John Stewart and even submitted a pitch to DC to do a book with the character. But the book cannot happen right now because of Morrison's Green Lantern book. And since Morrison/Liam Sharp announced a second season, the wait is going to be an extra year. And even after that, it doesn't mean they will approve his pitch.

Like what Vampaire Savior said, you need EDITORS to give John attention and give him a book. Creators liking John doesn't mean anything, unless guys like Dan Didio and other editors decides request pitches specifically about John Stewart. Just like what they're doing with Hal Jordan and what they previously did with Jess/Simon. (this was not directed towards you, Johnny)

You think writers like Van Jensen would turn down a John Stewart solicit pitch from editors? Of course not, but the issue comes from the top and needs to be resolved from the top first
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 04-13-2019 at 01:26 PM.