Page 43 of 103 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    To be honest, I'm not really bothered about John not being in the GL:TAS, since it's more Hal focused. I don't support stuff where John is being played as a background character. He's much more than that.

About John Stewart being in the Justice Leauge, I've been asking myself whether I prefer him to be in that book or have a solo where he's away from the DCU (like Hal Jordan). To be honest, I think I would lean more towards John being in the Justice League. I'm thinking that could be the best thing for him, due to we never really see a popular minority character like John playing big events and making a big impact in the DCU. I always wanted to see that finally happen. Another thing I like is that it builds him relationships with other characters like Barry and Martian Manhunter.
    I'm enjoying Hal and John being in separate books at the moment because I think both are playing to those characters' strengths. However, I think Hal & John play off each other wonderfully and would love to see more of them together.

BANNED

I'm also one who doesn't see John Stewart's absence from GL: TAS as a bad thing. That was a Hal Jordan show, and I just can't imagine John doing anything on that show that I would have enjoyed seeing. Like, I literally can't imagine a spot for him there that I would have liked. I'm positive he would have been some background dude to Hal Jordan, which is enough to make me not want to see it, but it's more than that. It's hard for me to even imagine John Stewart in that world for some reason. Maybe it's the art style, over all aesthetic of the show, the cast of the show, or something else, I don't know. Maybe it's because the show is so heavily inspired by Geoff Johns' run, and I'm of the mind that was a very dark time in John Stewart's publication history that I just don't see a spot for him in something like that.

I guess it's similar to how I never minded that Hal Jordan was never in JL/U in any worthwhile capacity.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.

I don't think John would have replaced Hal as the lead of the show, but I think the cartoon could have done some great stuff with him. They absolutely nailed Guy Gardner without making him subordinate to Hal in the slightest.

I also think the role they had planned for John would have been an interesting one.

Extraordinary Member

Are their too many earth lanterns, shouldn't it be one candidate per planet

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Are their too many earth lanterns, shouldn't it be one candidate per planet
    It should be one candidate per space sector, actually. And space sectors are BIG. Geoff Johns changed it so that each space sector has two to help alleviate the problem of too many Earth Lanterns.

There are way too many Earth Lanterns but some people don't seem to care. Personally, I think it's absurd, and I lost interest in following Green Lantern largely because of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think John would have replaced Hal as the lead of the show, but I think the cartoon could have done some great stuff with him. They absolutely nailed Guy Gardner without making him subordinate to Hal in the slightest.

I also think the role they had planned for John would have been an interesting one.
    I really wish that show got an extra season. I loved the fact that Hal & Guy were portrayed as two distinct individuals where I found that the comics during that time blurred their personalities together. Sometimes Hal acted like Guy while Guy acted like Hal.

I would have enjoyed seeing a new interpretation of John Stewart, one that was not military influenced. If John was hunting down Hal, then we would have seen Stewart's intelligence, and long-term planning on display. That would have been a fun contrast to Hal's spontaneous planning.

Plus, since Sinestro would have been exposed, we'd probably get Katma, too.

Damn that 2011 film. If only Deadpool was real, and could time travel.....

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I really wish that show got an extra season. I loved the fact that Hal & Guy were portrayed as two distinct individuals where I found that the comics during that time blurred their personalities together. Sometimes Hal acted like Guy while Guy acted like Hal.

I would have enjoyed seeing a new interpretation of John Stewart, one that was not military influenced. If John was hunting down Hal, then we would have seen Stewart's intelligence, and long-term planning on display. That would have been a fun contrast to Hal's spontaneous planning.

Plus, since Sinestro would have been exposed, we'd probably get Katma, too.

Damn that 2011 film. If only Deadpool was real, and could time travel.....
    But without that crappy 2011 film, we wouldn't have gotten the animated series to begin with...

Sometimes you've got to take the bad luck with the good. If Dwayne McDuffie hadn't died so tragically early, John wouldn't have been stuck in creative limbo during the Geoff Johns era, but if he hadn't been a writer on Justice League, then GL probably wouldn't have been as interesting a character (god knows the rest of the writers on that show didn't have a clue what to do with him early on).

Still waiting with bated breath for answers about John's ring and for that to pay off. Please god, let him do something cool with this ring before it gets retconned out of existence. If I have any criticism about Snyder's Justice League, it's that he's introducing so many concepts and ideas that they don't anyways get fleshed out or realized properly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Still waiting with bated breath for answers about John's ring and for that to pay off. Please god, let him do something cool with this ring before it gets retconned out of existence. If I have any criticism about Snyder's Justice League, it's that he's introducing so many concepts and ideas that they don't anyways get fleshed out or realized properly.
    Yea...at this rate I'm not confident in John getting much play. Maybe Snyder has a big finish plan that highlights John?

At any rate I'm really hoping Johns new power up stays after Syners run. If he doesn't use it someone eventually will...hopefully.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

But without that crappy 2011 film, we wouldn't have gotten the animated series to begin with...

Sometimes you've got to take the bad luck with the good. If Dwayne McDuffie hadn't died so tragically early, John wouldn't have been stuck in creative limbo during the Geoff Johns era, but if he hadn't been a writer on Justice League, then GL probably wouldn't have been as interesting a character (god knows the rest of the writers on that show didn't have a clue what to do with him early on).
    I hear ya.

It's crazy that no one has really been able to make USMC John work quite like Mr. McDuffie. His John was both dynamic in dire circumstance, and worked pretty well in funny situations.

Extraordinary Member

With all the trauma John Stewart has endured, I am ever so thankful Tom King decided not to use him.

I'm enjoying Hal and John being in separate books at the moment because I think both are playing to those characters' strengths. However, I think Hal & John play off each other wonderfully and would love to see more of them together.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them together as long as they're treated equals, but DC has a bad history of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So I guess I was kind of on the right path, Ernie Hudson's "Arrow" character is named Roy Stewart, who was revealed to be Diggle's stepfather. David Ramsey said in interviews that he doesn't know what would come out of this but he mentioned it was the biggest easter egg so far and we haven't seen the last of Roy Stewart, so I guess there's still a real chance for them to do something down the line just in time for the series finale. John Stewart was part of the original Crisis on Infinite Earths event after all.

I'm usually no fan of random reveals or retcons of original characters being suddenly revealed to be different versions of old characters, but obviously there have always been similarities between Diggle and John Stewart and the fact that this isn't just another funny easter egg for the fans, but the character is actually related to someone named Stewart makes me believe they would actually go somewhere with it.
    This is interesting. So it looks we may get some John Stewart Green Lantern reveal. DC really needs to capitalize on this character's popularity. There shouldn't be any reason for him not to get a book. At least give the guy a mini. Hopefully with all of what's going on in Justice League, I'm hoping that DC will release minis for each JL character on an ongoing event.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Was there any real payoff to him being a Star Sapphire? It seemed they did it, forgot it, then showed him do something because they remembered they had forgotten to follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Was there any real payoff to him being a Star Sapphire? It seemed they did it, forgot it, then showed him do something because they remembered they had forgotten to follow up.
    Nope he had the ring but when the title ended and he showed up again, no ring - at least we understood the ring and what it meant. This new "human power ring" thing may or may not stick but I could appreciate it better if they explained it better. Is it different from using a ring and a battery? How so? Since he switched from UV to Green, can he switch back at will? Does the UV have different practical functions from the Green Lantern ring? Can he turn into other colors? Even if it as an idea gets dropped down the road, it could still be really interesting if they explained it better.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."