Page 46 of 103 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Shayera is still around, i believe she brought the Thanagar fleet to helping out with the Source Wall when Starman and Hawkgirl tried to repair it. Iunno, while I was camping for the Hawkgirl/John pairing, after the letdown of Snyder opting for J'onn and Kendra I'm not holding my breath for him to end up with Shayera. I would've preferred he be with Kendra because them being on the same team means we'd get to see that relationship bloom, plus I like her design better. Pairing John with Shayera (while I wouldn't mind if them ended together) seems unlikely because it would be antithetical to Snyder's whole philosophy of trying new stuff; which is why he paired Kendra with J'onn in the first place. As for John's focus, I think we are being a bit anxious simply because it's a pretty big cast and John is in a uniquely disadvantageous position. So when he's not doing anything or we don't have answers for him, it's especially excruciating waiting for him to rotate back into focus. However, as I said before, I do think Snyder will eventually let everyone shine once he's done setting up and starts getting to where he wants to go.
    That's the last time I pretty much remember seeing her. Well Shayera is freed from the reincarnation cycle, thanks to Starman. So it looks like she will no longer be destined to be with Hawkman. Having John potentially being paired with Shayera is better than him not being paired with no Hawkgirls

BANNED

I would rather have John with Shayera than Kendra, because...well, John has had pretty much no relationship with Kendra in any form, so there is nothing there to be invested in. Aside from her being a Hawkgirl, it's kind of an out of left field pairing. but things can happen, like what we saw with Kendra and Martian Manhunter. Also, I prefer Shayera as a character a lot more than Kendra.

I don't think Snyder, or Tynion, or whoever is writing this book will put Shayera with John, though. I would think if they were planning that they would have at least left some kind of foreshadowing with the two last time they were together, but there was nothing that hinted toward that at all. They didn't have any notable conversation, moment, or anything. John Stewart was just there. Plus, like Snyder said, the book is about Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. It's juggling so much that I think John Stewart will essentially be lost in the mix, the way he more or less has been up to this point. I don't think developing his character or love life is a priority.

I think John Stewart's relationship with Hawkgirl is actually one of the most notable things about the character. His best showing is the Justice League cartoon, and it was a big part of his development there. I'm kind of surprised (but not really) that it hasn't made its way into mainstream DC Comics. Not really surprised because nearly everything about John Stewart on the cartoon flies in the face of tradition, and there will be a lot of comics people who don't like that. He's not supposed to be the main Green Lantern, and his girlfriend isn't supposed to be Hawkgirl, so it's not surprising that comics people have had no interest in really exploring any of that in comics, despite it being a big part of what most people who know of John Stewart have seen of him.

Regarding Katma, I've always liked her, but she's been dead so long now that I'm only expecting DC to reverse that if they reboot the entire Green Lantern continuity. And if they do that, who knows how it will affect John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I would rather have John with Shayera than Kendra, because...well, John has had pretty much no relationship with Kendra in any form, so there is nothing there to be invested in. Aside from her being a Hawkgirl, it's kind of an out of left field pairing. but things can happen, like what we saw with Kendra and Martian Manhunter. Also, I prefer Shayera as a character a lot more than Kendra.

I don't think Snyder, or Tynion, or whoever is writing this book will put Shayera with John, though. I would think if they were planning that they would have at least left some kind of foreshadowing with the two last time they were together, but there was nothing that hinted toward that at all. They didn't have any notable conversation, moment, or anything. John Stewart was just there. Plus, like Snyder said, the book is about Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. It's juggling so much that I think John Stewart will essentially be lost in the mix, the way he more or less has been up to this point. I don't think developing his character or love life is a priority.

I think John Stewart's relationship with Hawkgirl is actually one of the most notable things about the character. His best showing is the Justice League cartoon, and it was a big part of his development there. I'm kind of surprised (but not really) that it hasn't made its way into mainstream DC Comics. Not really surprised because nearly everything about John Stewart on the cartoon flies in the face of tradition, and there will be a lot of comics people who don't like that. He's not supposed to be the main Green Lantern, and his girlfriend isn't supposed to be Hawkgirl, so it's not surprising that comics people have had no interest in really exploring any of that in comics, despite it being a big part of what most people who know of John Stewart have seen of him.

Regarding Katma, I've always liked her, but she's been dead so long now that I'm only expecting DC to reverse that if they reboot the entire Green Lantern continuity. And if they do that, who knows how it will affect John Stewart.
    I personally prefer Shayera than Kendra, too.

But didn't Scott Snyder said one his personal best Justice Leauge moments was the relationship with Hawkgirl and John? This is finally the chance for it to happen. I don't think Snyder is like Geoff Johns, Dan Didio and your other typical writers that has an agenda to push him in the back. I mean, his twitter had fans of John Stewart and Hawkgirl looking forward to that shipping.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I personally prefer Shayera than Kendra, too.

But didn't Scott Snyder said one his personal best Justice Leauge moments was the relationship with Hawkgirl and John? This is finally the chance for it to happen. I don't think Snyder is like Geoff Johns, Dan Didio and your other typical writers that has an agenda to push him in the back. I mean, his twitter had fans of John Stewart and Hawkgirl looking forward to that shipping.
    I don't know. Did Snyder say that? I have no idea. I don't follow his Twitter feed and I don't read interviews with him.
    I don't think Snyder really has an agenda against John Stewart, per se. I don't believe he's invested enough in Green Lantern to have one. I just think his priorities lie elsewhere. He seems to like Martian Manhunter more than John Stewart, he seems to be more interested in being wannabe Grant Morrison, talking his "forces" or whatever he calls them, and passing the title to Tynion to write whenever he can, as well as telling Legion of Doom stories. He may like John Stewart okay, but those things come first!

This was the perfect time to do something with John Stewart and Shayera, and he and/or Tynion pissed it away, so I don't think John Stewart is too high up on his list of priorities. I could be wrong, though. They've just done nothing to make me think otherwise in the 25 or so issues they've been on the title. And with the way comics go these days, they may not even be on the title anymore by the time the book is hypothetically going to cycle around to focusing on John again.
    I think the Shayera/John ship has sailed, no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't know. Did Snyder say that? I have no idea. I don't follow his Twitter feed and I don't read interviews with him.
    I don't think Snyder really has an agenda against John Stewart, per se. I don't believe he's invested enough in Green Lantern to have one. I just think his priorities lie elsewhere. He seems to like Martian Manhunter more than John Stewart, he seems to be more interested in being wannabe Grant Morrison, talking his "forces" or whatever he calls them, and passing the title to Tynion to write whenever he can, as well as telling Legion of Doom stories. He may like John Stewart okay, but those things come first!

This was the perfect time to do something with John Stewart and Shayera, and he and/or Tynion pissed it away, so I don't think John Stewart is too high up on his list of priorities. I could be wrong, though. They've just done nothing to make me think otherwise in the 25 or so issues they've been on the title. And with the way comics go these days, they may not even be on the title anymore by the time the book is hypothetically going to cycle around to focusing on John again.
    I think the Shayera/John ship has sailed, no pun intended.
    Yea, Snyder said that in an interview.

I think it's still possible, but I believe he's working on other things right now for this event.

Check this out. Here's some Green Lantern John Stewart references mentioned again in CW Legacies.

The character Nia and MG like reading comic books and they're fans of Green Lantern. Nia says that John Stewart is the best Green Lantern:

at 1:34:

That clip is from Season 1 episode 14

Here's another one from the season finale. At 1:46:

It's nice to see my favorite character being mentioned on CW shows like Arrow and now THIS SERIES! I never would have expect John to be mentioned on another popular CW show.

This should really show you guys something. No matter how much guys like Geoff Johns, Tom King, Dan Didio and other anti-John writers/editors try to put John Stewart down (like making him black best friend and all) to prop up another Green Lantern, John STILL remains relevant and regarded as the greatest Green Lantern among the public. This is pretty damn impressive, considering for over a decade, guys like Geoff Johns and others try to change the people's mind and say that only Hal Jordan is the greatest.

I wouldn't be surprised the actors and some in the industry are trying to make some kind of statement here. Who knows, they probably realize that there has been writers out who previously tried to shame the character just so they could make the other lanterns look superior, despite John was being arguably the most know Green Lantern, thanks to the JL/JLU toons.

Some fans here (who are not John Stewart fans) may give out excuses about the JL/JLU show ending decades ago, but those videos above are proof on how much impact they made towards pop culture.

Ultimate Member

It's nice to see my favorite character being mentioned on CW shows like Arrow and now THIS SERIES! I never would have expect John to be mentioned on another popular CW show.

This should really show you guys something. No matter how much guys like Geoff Johns, Tom King, Dan Didio and other anti-John writers/editors try to put John Stewart down (like making him black best friend and all) to prop up another Green Lantern, John STILL remains relevant and regarded as the greatest Green Lantern among the public. This is pretty damn impressive, considering for over a decade, guys like Geoff Johns and others try to change the people's mind and say that only Hal Jordan is the greatest.

Some fans here (who are not John Stewart fans) may give out excuses about the JL/JLU show ending decades ago, but those videos above are proof on how much impact they made towards pop culture.
    It shows that John is among a growing number of guys that for some odd reason EVERYBODY outside of comics has fans. Like Aquaman.

I keep hearing Morrison could not tell his current Green Lantern book unless it was about Hal. Really? That an insult to Morrison. Since John's history has been wiped out on purpose-why couldn't he?

And it does not matter how many years ago that cartoon was-INTEREST never dies. Nor do reruns.

They can do whatever they want. Because they can't get rid of him. Because when folks look at Black Panther, Miles & Luke Cage-John, Cyborg & Vixen will come up. Someone is going to ask why are they nowhere near when Miles let alone Panther or Blade are?

Someone is going to ask-yall don't like MONEY?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I keep hearing Morrison could not tell his current Green Lantern book unless it was about Hal. Really? That an insult to Morrison.
    It's not that he can't tell his book with another character, it's how the stories he writes are specifically meant to be Hal stories. Morrison is perfectly capable of writing a non-Hal Jordan GL book and noone is questioning that, it's about how the specific stories he chooses to tell with Hal in the book couldn't be told the same way with someone else, especially the latest issue. Similarly Morrison's Batman & Robin run wouldn't work with Bruce and Tim the same way it did with Dick and Damian, or if the GL and Flash in his JLA run weren't Kyle and Wally, or how Mosaic wouldn't work if it was a Guy Gardner story, the Kyle run wouldn't be the same if you put Jessica in his place, etc. Someone like Gabriel Hardman who mentioned that John Stewart was the first Green Lantern he was introduced to, said Earth One could not be the same story if John was the main character instead of Hal. So it's not an insult to Morrison when he writes his GL book like a Hal Jordan story, not like a GL book where he can just use anyone and it would work the exact same way.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It shows that John is among a growing number of guys that for some odd reason EVERYBODY outside of comics has fans. Like Aquaman.

I keep hearing Morrison could not tell his current Green Lantern book unless it was about Hal. Really? That an insult to Morrison. Since John's history has been wiped out on purpose-why couldn't he?

And it does not matter how many years ago that cartoon was-INTEREST never dies. Nor do reruns.

They can do whatever they want. Because they can't get rid of him. Because when folks look at Black Panther, Miles & Luke Cage-John, Cyborg & Vixen will come up. Someone is going to ask why are they nowhere near when Miles let alone Panther or Blade are?

Someone is going to ask-yall don't like MONEY?
    Well said, Skyvolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's not that he can't tell his book with another character, it's how the stories he writes are specifically meant to be Hal stories. Morrison is perfectly capable of writing a non-Hal Jordan GL book and noone is questioning that, it's about how the specific stories he chooses to tell with Hal in the book couldn't be told the same way with someone else, especially the latest issue. Similarly Morrison's Batman & Robin run wouldn't work with Bruce and Tim the same way it did with Dick and Damian, or if the GL and Flash in his JLA run weren't Kyle and Wally, or how Mosaic wouldn't work if it was a Guy Gardner story, the Kyle run wouldn't be the same if you put Jessica in his place, etc. Someone like Gabriel Hardman who mentioned that John Stewart was the first Green Lantern he was introduced to, said Earth One could not be the same story if John was the main character instead of Hal. So it's not an insult to Morrison when he writes his GL book like a Hal Jordan story, not like a GL book where he can just use anyone and it would work the exact same way.
    The reason Gabriel Hardamn chose Hal Jordan to be in the book is because he prefers Hal Jordan as a character over John. Plan and simple. Nothing wrong with that, but I think his comment is rather silly and pathetic. Geoff Johns also have said that John Stewart is the first character he was introduced to and look what happened with that. I'm really having a hard time respecting those kind of guys. At least someone like Ethan Van Sciver was straight forward and said Hal was his favorite and believed John should be in the back.

And about Grant Morrison, he probably originally declined the offer from Dan Didio, because it had to be specific about Hal Jordan. If true, I'm sure he came up with some good ideas specific about the character and later changed his mind.

I'm glad the media still recognize John as a Green Lantern, despite previous attempts to get fans forget about the character.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-07-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Incredible Member

The reason Gabriel Hardamn chose Hal Jordan to be in the book is because he prefers Hal Jordan as a character over John. Plan and simple. Nothing wrong with that, but I think his comment is rather silly and pathetic. Geoff Johns also have said that John Stewart is the first character he was introduced to and look what happened with that. I'm really having a hard time respecting those kind of guys. At least someone like Ethan Van Sciver was straight forward and said Hal was his favorite and believed John should be in the back.

And about Grant Morrison, he probably originally declined the offer from Dan Didio, because it had to be specific about Hal Jordan. If true, I'm sure he came up with some good ideas specific about the character and later changed his mind.

I'm glad the media still recognize John as a Green Lantern, despite previous attempts to get fans forget about the character.
    Yeah, those sort of statements don't fly for me. I personally prefer Kyle, but I recognize there are stories that are not suitable for him, and John is much better to fit that role.

From what I understand Morrison originally declined the offer because of his loaded schedule, not because he had to write a specific character, but he changed his mind during his meeting with Didio. As for Hardman, I think he legitimately likes John Stewart and mentioned during a podcast interview once that he wanted to use him if there's an Earth One sequel, but I know what you mean.

BANNED

These ideas of, "I want to use John Stewart in Hal Jordan's story," just don't excite me. Like with GL:TAS, as I mentioned earlier, I never had any desire to see John in that and I'm glad he was left out. If a Green Lantern Earth One sequel comes out, I'm hoping John isn't in that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    From what I understand Morrison originally declined the offer because of his loaded schedule, not because he had to write a specific character, but he changed his mind during his meeting with Didio. As for Hardman, I think he legitimately likes John Stewart and mentioned during a podcast interview once that he wanted to use him if there's an Earth One sequel, but I know what you mean.
    Yea, definitely

I think there's a difference between liking a character and loving a character. I'm sure writers like Tom Taylor, Peter Tomasi, and Tony Bedard liked the character, but not enough to have him as equals with the characters they love, like Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner. I didn't include Geoff Johns and Tom King, because I don't think they like the John Stewart character, nor love him. But other writers like Van Jensen loves the character. And that's what John Stewart fans need. They need a writer who LOVES the character.

Gabriel Hardman pretty much falls into the same bad category of just liking the character. Writers like that I don't take seriously. The problem is these writers only uses John as a secondary character and that doesn't do it for me. A hardcore John fan won't support anything like that. They need to realize that real John Stewart fans doesn't accept him being in the background of other GL's. He's seen front and center to us fans.