Page 47 of 103 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    These ideas of, "I want to use John Stewart in Hal Jordan's story," just don't excite me. Like with GL:TAS, as I mentioned earlier, I never had any desire to see John in that and I'm glad he was left out. If a Green Lantern Earth One sequel comes out, I'm hoping John isn't in that, either.
    Exactly. Some writers thinks adding John into Hal's story would persuade John Stewart fans on purchasing the book. That's just not going to happen. The only time I might support something like that if they're treated as rough equals, not one over the other. That's very unlikely, unfortunately.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Exactly. Some writers thinks adding John into Hal's story would persuade John Stewart fans on purchasing the book. That's just not going to happen. The only time I might support something like that if they're treated as rough equals, not one over the other. That's very unlikely, unfortunately.
    Some of them are surprisingly clueless. Like when Van Sciver came here and told John Stewart fans to support a book with Hal Jordan's name on it and John somewhere in the background, in the fragile hope that this would lead to John Stewart getting a book. Some of them actually do think this sort of way and that the fans will fall for that.

Again, I don't want to be a downer, but it was around that time I knew it was more or less time to bail on this character if that's the arrangement going on. The whole thing seemed like a waste of time to me. As a fan of John Stewart, you would just be chasing your tail all day, or you would be like a hamster on a treadmill. You're running but you're not getting anywhere and you never can.

Honestly, it would be cool to see John get his own Earth one graphic novel but in another superhero id. Just as an experiment as John has never had an iconic origin story. Even the cartoon skips it and starts with him already in space.

So I thought it would be a good way to build him some new opportunities.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don't want to see anyone writing John Stewart who doesn't want to write him. That's how bad comics are made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly, it would be cool to see John get his own Earth one graphic novel but in another superhero id. Just as an experiment as John has never had an iconic origin story. Even the cartoon skips it and starts with him already in space.

So I thought it would be a good way to build him some new opportunities.
    If the Darkstar uniform was redesigned to look really awesome, it might be interesting to see him assume that role again, at least for a story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't want to see anyone writing John Stewart who doesn't want to write him. That's how bad comics are made.
    The issue is sometimes you don't have a choice.

Write it or don't get a check as Priest once said about killing Ironfist in the last issue of Powerman & Ironfist-NO ONE wanted that to happen except the boss.

Or look at Duke under Tom King. Every other sidekick or partner of Batman had adventures with him not appear in quick cameos or at all. That;s how Tim Drake worked out.

And sometimes it does work out once again see Priest- he didn't want to do that Black Panther book. He was suppose to do Falcon (after Cap America & Falcon ended). Instead he got Panther and the rest is history.

In the cases of Luke & Falcon both endings were suppose to lead to new solo books that never happened. Luke went into limbo until that Black Pinisher story

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If Priest was offered a John Stewart book, but, for some reason, didn't want to do it because he wanted to write Hal or Jessica instead, I would not want to read that book...unless people told me it was really amazing.

Yeah, who am I kidding? I would absolutely buy that comic for at least a couple issues

BANNED

I'd love to see stories based on these six, whether on the page or on the screen:

-Small Team, Big Stakes

-Modern Roster, Classic Feel

-Who would make your founding team?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-18-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Some of them are surprisingly clueless. Like when Van Sciver came here and told John Stewart fans to support a book with Hal Jordan's name on it and John somewhere in the background, in the fragile hope that this would lead to John Stewart getting a book. Some of them actually do think this sort of way and that the fans will fall for that.

Again, I don't want to be a downer, but it was around that time I knew it was more or less time to bail on this character if that's the arrangement going on. The whole thing seemed like a waste of time to me. As a fan of John Stewart, you would just be chasing your tail all day, or you would be like a hamster on a treadmill. You're running but you're not getting anywhere and you never can.
    That was probably the most offensive statement he said, where if you support that book then maybe John will get a book. So a John Stewart fan has to support another character and depend on THAT character to be a success just so John can probably get something. Well it seems like guys like Ethan Van Sciver aren't touching anything Green Lantern related no more. I certainly don't want them to come back again and put John Stewart in a worst state. Since Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver's involvement with Green Lantern is no more, we have a better opportunity for DC to start capitalizing on the character. Only if Dan Didio's involvement was gone, things would be better this time around. I'm sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I love this art and it's coloring.

So on the August 2019 solicitations, Sinestro is going to have his own issue in Year of the Villain.

This gives a possibility that John Stewart may be referenced or guest appear in this. I'll tell you guys why.

1) Mark Russell is the writer of this issue. He's the writer that pitched to DC Comics on a John Stewart solo ongoing series. It's interesting that he's involved in this book and part of the Year of the Villain event here.

2) He also written the GREEN LANTERN/HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SPECIAL that had John Stewart as the Green Lantern on that book.

This is someone you guys need if you want to see a great possibility of a John book.

If this event expands to different mini series with each Justice League characters, don't be surprised if Mark Russell will be the one who writes a John Stewart mini.

So how do we know whether this is some build up for him to maybe write a series with John Stewart?

This is something to think about.

Ultimate Member

That was probably the most offensive statement he said, where if you support that book then maybe John will get a book. So a John Stewart fan has to support another character and depend on THAT character to be a success just so John can probably get something. Well it seems like guys like Ethan Van Sciver aren't touching anything Green Lantern related no more. I certainly don't want them to come back again and put John Stewart in a worst state. Since Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver's involvement with Green Lantern is no more, we have a better opportunity for DC to start capitalizing on the character. Only if Dan Didio's involvement was gone, things would be better this time around. I'm sure of it.
    In Ethan's defense-he just told you something that happens behind closed doors.

Remember that Storm ongoing? Guess who was the reason for it? Not her marriage to Black Panther (that should have gotten her one) or Shuri as Black Panther. It was Ms Marvel. Marvel admitted to it.
    I will assume Dc's attitude has changed on this since Ethan left.

I mean wouldn't you TRY something with John Stewart (if not other black characters) if you saw this happen over the last 3 years.

Marvel-17
    Image-11
    After Shock 5
    Darkhorse 4-6
    Lion Forge 4
    Valiant 2-4
    IDW 2(?)
    Black Mask 6
    Scout 1 (originally 2)
    Books where a black person was the LEAD or the majority of the book was about THEM.
    Most of these guys are KILLING it in trades.

Looking at Marvel ALONE would say do something.

BANNED

TSince Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver's involvement with Green Lantern is no more, we have a better opportunity for DC to start capitalizing on the character. Only if Dan Didio's involvement was gone, things would be better this time around. I'm sure of it.
    Not in my mind. I really don't believe in false optimism if it isn't realistic, and based on everything I've seen over the last 15 or so years, The full triumvirate of Ethan Van Sciver, Geoff Johns, and Dan DiDio would need to be removed from influencing Green Lantern for John Stewart to even get a chance at a decent shot. Dan DiDio is still there, who was probably the main and ultimate influence over all those years of John Stewart sidelining. I've seen what he does to characters he doesn't like and I'm pretty certain DiDio was the main guy behind wallpapering John Stewart, not that I absolve Johns and Van Sciver. I think they were fine with it, and probably would have done it without DiDio instructing them to. I say this based on how terribly Johns wrote John Stewart when he did write him, and his two balloons of dialogue in the extra sized Green Lantern #20, and Johns hyping up John Stewart in Darkseid War only to give him, again, like two lines of dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    In Ethan's defense-he just told you something that happens behind closed doors.

Remember that Storm ongoing? Guess who was the reason for it? Not her marriage to Black Panther (that should have gotten her one) or Shuri as Black Panther. It was Ms Marvel. Marvel admitted to it.
    I will assume Dc's attitude has changed on this since Ethan left.

I mean wouldn't you TRY something with John Stewart (if not other black characters) if you saw this happen over the last 3 years.

Marvel-17
    Image-11
    After Shock 5
    Darkhorse 4-6
    Lion Forge 4
    Valiant 2-4
    IDW 2(?)
    Black Mask 6
    Scout 1 (originally 2)
    Books where a black person was the LEAD or the majority of the book was about THEM.
    Most of these guys are KILLING it in trades.

Looking at Marvel ALONE would say do something.
    I think you see things through a completely different lens than Dan DiDio. You're seeing black characters, and for better or worse, I really don't think DiDio cares about that at all. Again, based on my observations, I think he sees characters he likes, characters he doesn't, and characters he thinks he can sell well, and characters he thinks he can't. I don't think race plays much of a conscious role in his view. You're looking for black characters, but if he doesn't have any decent ones to offer you, I don't think he sees that as a problem he needs to do something about. If there is a black character DiDio likes that he thinks will sell, he will probably get behind him more. Coincidentally, there isn't a character that fits that position, so he doesn't, and probably just made a halfhearted attempt with Cyborg for people like you who are looking for a black character to do something (probably because someone told him it would be a good idea), but I really don't believe that is any kind of priority for him, and I don't think he feels obligated in any way to make it one. And really, he isn't obligated to do that. DiDio's priority is Batman, because Batman can sell well for him.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Not in my mind. I really don't believe in false optimism if it isn't realistic, and based on everything I've seen over the last 15 or so years, The full triumvirate of Ethan Van Sciver, Geoff Johns, and Dan DiDio would need to be removed from influencing Green Lantern for John Stewart to even get a chance at a decent shot. Dan DiDio is still there, who was probably the main and ultimate influence over all those years of John Stewart sidelining. I've seen what he does to characters he doesn't like and I'm pretty certain DiDio was the main guy behind wallpapering John Stewart, not that I absolve Johns and Van Sciver. I think they were fine with it, and probably would have done it without DiDio instructing them to. I say this based on how terribly Johns wrote John Stewart when he did write him, and his two balloons of dialogue in the extra sized Green Lantern #20, and Johns hyping up John Stewart in Darkseid War only to give him, again, like two lines of dialogue.
    Well yea, that's why I said Dan Didio is still there. Personally what happened with John being in the Justice League is better than Rebirth. After those books got cancelled with Van Sciver departing, Geoff Johns' influence no longer involved in Green Green Lanterns, we see a better position for the character after those guys left. Both of those guys were part of the problem and held the character far back. I know from your point of view, it's not much on John's position in the Justice League, but for me and others here, we've at least seen some improved progress for John Stewart after those guys departed from the franchise. Now one more main guy, which is Dan Didio is still there.