Page 48 of 103 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    BANNED

You're right in that I don't see John's position in the Justice League as doing anything for him. When that Justice League movie bombed, I don't think DC/WB cared nearly as much for how the Justice League property would be handled, which is likely why John was allowed on the team. John being in the League hasn't done much for him from a story perspective, it hasn't led to any worthwhile multimedia appearances, or more action figures, and it hasn't led to his own title. Justice League did all of that for Cyborg (even though DC's attempts with Cyborg were ultimately flops), but I just don't see what it's done for John Stewart, unless you really, really like that idea of the Ultraviolet Lantern, and it's my understanding that hasn't even played a crucial role in a while.

I never considered it, but I'm not sure that John is in a better position now compared to Rebirth. At first, I thought this Justice League would clearly be a better place for John to be, but now that I've seen how things have unfolded, it's more difficult to say. I like the idea of John being away from Hal Jordan, because that paradigm wasn't doing him any favors, but at the same time, he's more or less doing the same type of thing now as he was doing then; just kind of being around and usually not mattering all that much. I would even go so far to say that he mattered more in Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps than he does in Snyder's Justice League. I don't necessarily see his current situation as better, but kinda' just more of the same.

If the Justice League was a huge success, I just can't see DC stopping Scott Snyder from choosing John Stewart. Scott Snyder seems to have some power over in DC. During Rebirth, we've seen many of Geoff Johns' influence where it failed. Scott Snyder seems to be one of the main guys now, while Geoff Johns became less involved, since he was focusing on multimedia. They finally tried to do something new, which is to create a new roster that resembles the JL/JLU show. We still don't know whether there's going to be multimedia appearances based off of Scott Snyder's Justice League. The series is still new. John's name is at least being teased in CW shows. Other lanterns doesn't even get that kind of treatment to tell you the truth (except for animation perhaps). And it's quite telling when a show claims John Stewart being the best Green Lantern. Other than rumors out there years back, John has never been referenced like this. I love the idea of the Ultraviolet Lantern, because it makes up when guys like Geoff Johns and Tony Bedard making him that crappy Indigo Tribe lantern nonsense.

I love the role what Scott Snyder gave him. Every character in this series gets a chance to shine. Of course John may have more going on in Robert Venditti's book, since the series focuses on not as much characters than the Justice League. But the fact is it wasn't John's book, it was Hal's. There's been a few issues where John didn't even appear there. Even Guy had some solo appearances. John didn't. I rather him be in the Justice League than to appear in a book named after another Green Lantern. It made me feel like an unwanted fan, who doesn't belong in DC. I honestly hate that feeling. Rebirth really pissed me off more than anything. Probably the only disappointed thing I got out of the Justice League was there was no John/Shayera relationship.

I for sure think there can be more done with John Stewart, like giving him a solo. Guys like Mark Russell pitched the idea of a John solo to DC Comics, so it's not like the guys at DC has no complete interest in the character. But I would blame the reasoning behind John Stewart not having a solo by now is because of guys Dan Didio.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-19-2019 at 12:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    If the Justice League was a huge success, I just can't see DC stopping Scott Snyder from choosing John Stewart.
    If the Justice League movie was a success, the entire landscape of DC would probably look very differently because Geoff Johns would possibly still be president of DC Comics. Snyder may not even be writing the title in such a circumstance.

I love the idea of the Ultraviolet Lantern, because it makes up when guys like Geoff Johns and Tony Bedard making him that crappy Indigo Tribe lantern nonsense.
    Yeah, Indigo Tribe is pretty terrible. It's not surprising that John wound up being involved with the worst Corps of all, though that isn't saying a whole lot.

There's been a few issues where John didn't even appear there.
    The same thing happens in Snyder's Justice League whenever Tynion and Snyder want to tell Legion of Doom stories, or stories about the Anti-Monitor's mama.

Even Guy had some solo appearances. John didn't. I rather him be in the Justice League than to appear in a book named after another Green Lantern. It made me feel like an unwanted fan, who doesn't belong in DC. I honestly hate that feeling. Rebirth really pissed me off more than anything. Probably the only disappointed thing I got out of the Justice League was there was no John/Shayera relationship.
    I think the worst thing to happen to him is that he gets virtually no character development and being in the League hasn't done anything to boost his status. He may get a few feats here and there, but those feel pretty empty without character development. It's upsetting that Snyder is willing to give special focus to Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter (the other characters without solo titles), but isn't willing to extend that special focus to the remaining character without a solo--John Stewart. Once again leaving this Green Lantern predictably in the cold for about the 28494892348 time.

But I would blame the reasoning behind John Stewart not having a solo by now is because of guys Dan Didio.
    Not every character can have a solo. My preferred situation that I feel would be the most realistic would be John leading a Green Lantern Corps title that would also include Guy, Kilowog, Arisia, Salaak, and a few others. No other Earth GL's, though. I've already made my thoughts on the outrageous number of Earth Green Lanterns pretty clear. I wouldn't even try to work with all those Earth characters. That's just a "can't win for losing" situation.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-19-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    If the Justice League movie was a success, the entire landscape of DC would probably look very differently because Geoff Johns would possibly still be president of DC Comics. Snyder may not even be writing the title in such a circumstance.
    Scott Snyder's Justice League project was already planned even before the release of the live action film. The previous series weren't doing well. Justice League Metal was all a set up for this series. This was planned for some time. Geoff Johns would not have intervened this time around, regardless of whether the movie was a success or not. He was already heavily involved in Rebirth, where the Justice League titles weren't even doing well later on.

Yeah, Indigo Tribe is pretty terrible. It's not surprising that John wound up being involved with the worst Corps of all, though that isn't saying a whole lot.
    I agree.

The same thing happens in Snyder's Justice League whenever Tynion and Snyder want to tell Legion of Doom stories, or stories about the Anti-Monitor's mama.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that, since this is a bi-weekly series. Every 5-6 issues, there's going to be a story that focuses on The Legion of Doom.

I think the worst thing to happen to him is that he gets virtually no character development and being in the League hasn't done anything to boost his status. He may get a few feats here and there, but those feel pretty empty without character development. It's upsetting that Snyder is willing to give special focus to Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter (the other characters without solo titles), but isn't willing to extend that special focus to the remaining character without a solo--John Stewart. Once again leaving this Green Lantern predictably in the cold for about the 28494892348 time.
    He already got character development in the first arc. And you're not a fan of the Ultra Violet spectrum, so I can understand why you would overlook that arc. Scott Snyder already promised John is going to also have special treatment like the other two because he doesn't have an ongoing.

Not every character can have a solo. My preferred situation that I feel would be the most realistic would be John leading a Green Lantern Corps title that would also include Guy, Kilowog, Arisia, Salaak, and a few others. No other Earth GL's, though. I've already made my thoughts on the outrageous number of Earth Green Lanterns pretty clear. I wouldn't even try to work with all those Earth characters. That's just a "can't win for losing" situation.
    I 100% agree with this. I think a book like this can work very well if done right.

Art by SteelScarlet

BANNED

Scott Snyder's Justice League project was already planned even before the release of the live action film. The previous series weren't doing well. Justice League Metal was all a set up for this series. This was planned for some time. Geoff Johns would not have intervened this time around, regardless of whether the movie was a success or not. He was already heavily involved in Rebirth, where the Justice League titles weren't even doing well later on.
    Okay. I don't remember how all of those events lined up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, since this is a bi-weekly series. Every 5-6 issues, there's going to be a story that focuses on The Legion of Doom.
    This, I don't understand. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was also bi-weekly. Why is John not being in an issue there a problem to you, but you're okay with it in this Justice League title?

Also, you talk about the Rebirth Justice League book not doing well, but it's not like this book is doing a whole heck of a lot better. It's selling 50,000-something units, which is rather low for Justice League, especially with a star writer like Scott Snyder. Compare that to Johns' New 52 Justice League (which I also think is terrible), which sold about 80,000 units regularly. It's weird to me when fans say a book is doing well, when it's not, and then they say other books weren't doing well, just because it suits their own agenda or point. Let's try being a little more objective here.

I think the reason this incarnation of the League is selling kind of poorly is a bad, plodding story that Snyder doesn't seem to have firm control of. Rather than tell an engaging and easily coherent story, he seems more interested with just tossing out "big" absurd ideas. He's treating this kinda' like he's a kid jumping around with reckless abandon at a Chuck-E-Cheese, which is leading to self-indulgent crap.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.

This, I don't understand. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was also bi-weekly. Why is John not being in an issue there a problem to you, but you're okay with it in this Justice League title?
    Justice League and Justice League Doom are two different series. Why would anyone expect the John to be featured a regular over there? That series is designed specifically for the Legion Of Doom, written by James Tynion. The series focuses on the Legion Of Doom's perspective. It pretty much helps provide a greater scope of what's to come in the DCU.

Also, you talk about the Rebirth Justice League book not doing well, but it's not like this book is doing a whole heck of a lot better. It's selling 50,000-something units, which is rather low for Justice League, especially with a star writer like Scott Snyder. Compare that to Johns' New 52 Justice League (which I also think is terrible), which sold about 80,000 units regularly. It's weird to me when fans say a book is doing well, when it's not, and then they say other books weren't doing well, just because it suits their own agenda or point. Let's try being a little more objective here.
    I think you're comparing two different eras here. Other than the obvious which is Batman and some other events, The Justice League is pretty much #4 in DC Comics sales. I could understand your argument if this series was waaaaay below other DC titles, but it isn't.

I think the reason this incarnation of the League is selling kind of poorly is a bad, plodding story that Snyder doesn't seem to have firm control of. Rather than tell an engaging and easily coherent story, he seems more interested with just tossing out "big" absurd ideas. He's treating this kinda' like he's a kid jumping around with reckless abandon at a Chuck-E-Cheese, which is leading to self-indulgent crap.
    I don't believe it has anything to do with that, to be honest. We're in a time where comics don't sale the way they used to overall. It has nothing to do with Scott Snyder's writing, to be honest.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 05-19-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

Justice League and Justice League Doom are two different series. Why would anyone expect the John to be featured regular over there?

I think you're comparing two different eras here. Other than the obvious which is Batman and some other events, The Justice League is pretty much #4 in DC Comics sales. I could understand your argument if this series was waaaaay below other DC titles, but it isn't.
    I have seen that book pack way too many BINS ever since New 52. I would say it's getting orders from stores but folks are not buying it to the point of you NOT needing bins to get a complete are let alone the entire run.

The issue with Justice League is it's a book that is assured shelf space somewhere.

Problem is that it's NOT suppose to be the book to build up someone-who is linked to another franchise. That forever falls on the character's said franchise.

A well done John Stewart does no good in Justice League if he's a joke in Lantern books.

Being in Justice League did not help Cyborg-because Teen Titans Cyborg was already seen everywhere. Comic side of Dc failed him constantly. Both John & Cyborg only get praised for their character from outside of comics.

BANNED

The same could be said of the Rebirth Justice League title that you say wasn't doing very well. I took a look at Comichron before I made that post. The current Justice League title ranked at 15 on the latest chart of top 100 comics, and the Rebirth Justice League ranked at about number 23 well into its run. Not a big difference there. In my view, neither title did that great considering it's Justice League, but it's especially upsetting for this one, considering the writer is Scott Snyder.

I don't believe it has anything to do with that, to be honest. We're in a time where comics don't sale the way they used to overall. It has nothing to do with Scott Snyder's writing, to be honest.
    We live in pretty much the same time as Johns' Justice League. Sales haven't plummeted that much since then, and trends haven't changed that much since then, and his Darkseid War, which was pretty much the end of his run, was pulling in considerably larger numbers than what Snyder is doing now. There was simply more interest in the title at that time. I guess we can debate over why that was the case, but it was the case.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I have seen that book pack way too many BINS ever since New 52. I would say it's getting orders from stores but folks are not buying it to the point of you NOT needing bins to get a complete are let alone the entire run.

The issue with Justice League is it's a book that is assured shelf space somewhere.

Problem is that it's NOT suppose to be the book to build up someone-who is linked to another franchise. That forever falls on the character's said franchise.

A well done John Stewart does no good in Justice League if he's a joke in Lantern books.

Being in Justice League did not help Cyborg-because Teen Titans Cyborg was already seen everywhere. Comic side of Dc failed him constantly. Both John & Cyborg only get praised for their character from outside of comics.
    I understand what you're saying here, but that evidence seems to be anecdotal. If it's still getting orders from stores, that's all that matters to DC. Nothing else. It doesn't take away the fact that the series is still being supported and DC is still backing the title.

How can he be a joke if he's no longer in Lantern books? Hell, the series even propped the character on how he's a better team player than Hal Jordan. Scott Snyder obviously started to give John a fresh start by taking him away from lantern books where he's a background character.

And if anyone here expected John to be some HUGE star over all of the characters in this series, then you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This is actually very true.

I see John in this current Justice League as DC not really utilizing him in any worthwhile capacity once again. Nothing to praise here. The only thing I can say is that it's cooler for him to hang out with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman than it is for him to hang out in Hal Jordan's shadow. But at the same time, they're fully realized characters because they are able to get the focus they need elsewhere, and this highlights how John Stewart is just some wallpaper guy who is around.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.

The same could be said of the Rebirth Justice League title that you say wasn't doing very well. I took a look at Comichron before I made that post. The current Justice League title ranked at 15 on the latest chart of top 100 comics, and the Rebirth Justice League ranked at about number 23 well into its run. Not a big difference there. In my view, neither title did that great considering it's Justice League, but it's especially upsetting for this one, considering the writer is Scott Snyder.

We live in pretty much the same time as Johns' Justice League. Sales haven't plummeted that much since then, and trends haven't changed that much since then, and his Darkseid War, which was pretty much the end of his run, was pulling in considerably larger numbers than what Snyder is doing now. There was simply more interest in the title at that time. I guess we can debate over why that was the case, but it was the case.
    The Justice League is indeed ranked at 15 on the chart, if you're comparing other publishers.

That's the problem right there. There was simply more interest in DC Comics at that time, not just Johns' Justice League. The publishers aren't where they used to be anymore. Fans have no longer has as much interest in publishers as a whole. If the Justice League is ranked #4 in overall DC comic books, obviously you would expect such a rank to be in higher numbers if that was during the New 52 and Rebirth. The only DC Comics are above Justice League are Batman and DC events. The 50K or whatever sales has absolute nothing to do with the quality of the Justice League, but rather comics being affected based on fans no longer having any interest in buying comics from these publishers.

And speaking of DC Comics sales, I'm starting to realize that maybe Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern could be part of that effect as well. I've been hearing positive reactions of The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison, but yet everyone here (including myself) expected these numbers to match New 52 and Rebirth. But I'm starting to believe it has nothing to do with fans not liking Green Lantern, but how DC publishers are no longer attracting new fans it seems. I was probably wrong on how I reacted towards The Green Lantern sales back then.

I have to agree with Sodam. Batman for instance is around the mid 80K now, when only some years back, including during Scott Snyder's run you would never see the main Batman title fall under 100K the way it does now. Seems to be lack of interest in general, rather than towards a specific book.

BANNED

The Justice League is indeed ranked at 15 on the chart, if you're comparing other publishers.

That's the problem right there. There was simply more interest in DC Comics at that time, not just Johns' Justice League. The publishers aren't where they used to be anymore. Fans have no longer has as much interest in publishers as a whole. If the Justice League is ranked #4 in overall DC comic books, obviously you would expect such a rank to be in higher numbers if that was during the New 52 and Rebirth. The only DC Comics are above Justice League are Batman and DC events. The 50K or whatever sales has absolute nothing to do with the quality of the Justice League, but rather comics being affected based on fans no longer having any interest in buying comics from these publishers.
    Okay. I'm going to run with this line of reasoning instead of bringing up any counter.

Considering Justice League, wouldn't you think this would be one of the huge books that should determine whether people are interested in buying DC Comics? What I'm driving at is that Justice League is such a tent pole title that its quality could be linked specifically to WHY people aren't interested in buying DC Comics. Perhaps more Justice League comics were selling back during Darkseid War simply because it looked like more interesting things were happening in Justice League then compared to now, and perhaps that even more effort was being put in the title with Jason Fabok's artwork being a strong selling point.