Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1220
  1. #1111
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    392

    Default

    We've brought up the idea of giving John his own archvillain before, and people don't seem too keen on the rainbow corps--

    What if John's nemesis were a member of the Darkstars? He's already connected to the concept, the group has a sinister name and history, and they have a powerset distinct from the GLC. You'd just need a human Darkstar so that John's archnemesis could fraternize with Earth's other villains. Could be cool to see a Darkstar team up with Captain Cold for example. Thoughts?





    --

    Ferrin Colos could also be brought back as a nemesis:

    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-16-2019 at 06:12 PM.

  2. #1112
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Anyone else want to know if John received any decorations during his military service?



    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.

  3. #1113

  4. #1114
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    If DC was going to give John Stewart a mini to resolve this Ultra-Violet spectrum plotline, they should have done it a year ago when interest in that topic was higher. Or whenever that was. If a mini were to be done at all, it would be intelligent to have a story that spins directly out from Justice League in an effort to pull in some of that readership that may not buy because of John Stewart alone. I think they pissed that opportunity away at this point, however.

    It seems Snyder lost a bit of control of the story and whatever he was planning to do with John Stewart likely hit the cutting room floor to make room for Snyder's "Forces"! Not surprising to me.
    You could be right. Having a mini that extends the very first arc to give answers on John's new powers is probably too late, since that was long ago.

    But sometimes I wonder whether this had something to do with editorial being probably the main cause of this? I'm not saying this as some conspiracy to hold the character back. But what's being done here seems unfinished.

  5. #1115
    Incredible Member Vampire Savior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    You could be right. Having a mini that extends the very first arc to give answers on John's new powers is probably too late, since that was long ago.

    But sometimes I wonder whether this had something to do with editorial being probably the main cause of this? I'm not saying this as some conspiracy to hold the character back. But what's being done here seems unfinished.
    It's probably due to Scott Snyder fumbling as a writer (dropping a plot thread and/or taking way too long to actually conclude it or build upon it, while ignoring a character in his roster). As I've said before, he probably does not have much interest in Green Lantern compared to the other toys he has available to him. I'm guessing John is only there as a nod to the Justice League cartoon, not because Snyder has anything particularly compelling for the character.

    I don't think editorial had much to do with this, partially because it seems like such little editing goes on these days. If I was editor, I would at least inform Snyder of my concerns and criticisms of his work, especially since the sales on the book are relatively tepid. However, that would be a risky political maneuver, because Scott Snyder is a much bigger name in the industry than whoever is editing Justice League.

    Some creators having too much power and being able to do things willy-nilly is one of the problems with the industry these days. Meanwhile, the editors don't often seem to have much of a cohesive plan or vision for their characters, or much coordination between themselves. Some people jump on Jim Shooter for being a tyrant, but all I really know is he was never afraid to veto creators who were doing or wanted to do stupid crap, that he took Marvel out of the gutter, the comics sold a lot better in his day, he introduced a lucrative and innovative market for the time, and in my opinion, the comics were generally better quality than what we see today. Scott Snyder's Justice League likely would have been edited. "Your story is taking way too long to tell. It's this never ending thing, and it's not even particularly compelling most of the time. You should have wrapped this stuff up a long time ago, so we can focus on other things and other characters." I would tell him something like that if I was editing his book. Actually...I'd probably just fire him off the book, but that's me

    That's another thing, too. You've got to be on the hunt for good stories. That's number 1. That comes even before pandering to big name creators, in my book. Snyder isn't delivering a good enough story, in my view. It's had some bright points, but overall, it's kinda' boring to me, and the sales aren't really strong, relatively speaking.

  6. #1116
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    392

    Default

    If there were a GL film trilogy, who would you want to see as the villains in each film?

    I like the idea of Manhunters -> Darkstars -> Krona

  7. #1117
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It's probably due to Scott Snyder fumbling as a writer (dropping a plot thread and/or taking way too long to actually conclude it or build upon it, while ignoring a character in his roster). As I've said before, he probably does not have much interest in Green Lantern compared to the other toys he has available to him. I'm guessing John is only there as a nod to the Justice League cartoon, not because Snyder has anything particularly compelling for the character.

    I don't think editorial had much to do with this, partially because it seems like such little editing goes on these days. If I was editor, I would at least inform Snyder of my concerns and criticisms of his work, especially since the sales on the book are relatively tepid. However, that would be a risky political maneuver, because Scott Snyder is a much bigger name in the industry than whoever is editing Justice League.

    Some creators having too much power and being able to do things willy-nilly is one of the problems with the industry these days. Meanwhile, the editors don't often seem to have much of a cohesive plan or vision for their characters, or much coordination between themselves. Some people jump on Jim Shooter for being a tyrant, but all I really know is he was never afraid to veto creators who were doing or wanted to do stupid crap, that he took Marvel out of the gutter, the comics sold a lot better in his day, he introduced a lucrative and innovative market for the time, and in my opinion, the comics were generally better quality than what we see today. Scott Snyder's Justice League likely would have been edited. "Your story is taking way too long to tell. It's this never ending thing, and it's not even particularly compelling most of the time. You should have wrapped this stuff up a long time ago, so we can focus on other things and other characters." I would tell him something like that if I was editing his book. Actually...I'd probably just fire him off the book, but that's me

    That's another thing, too. You've got to be on the hunt for good stories. That's number 1. That comes even before pandering to big name creators, in my book. Snyder isn't delivering a good enough story, in my view. It's had some bright points, but overall, it's kinda' boring to me, and the sales aren't really strong, relatively speaking.
    This is a great post.

    Jim Shooter was the best, imo.

    The reason Marvel & DC has so many broken franchises, fragmented fan bases, and poor comic sales, is the lack of strong editors. These writers have destroyed these characters with their short terms sales melodrama stories. The editors are sleeping at the wheel.

    Jim was not afraid to make writers come up with a logical conclusion to their stories.

  8. #1118
    Spectacular Member Cosmic Emerald 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This is a great post.

    Jim Shooter was the best, imo.

    The reason Marvel & DC has so many broken franchises, fragmented fan bases, and poor comic sales, is the lack of strong editors. These writers have destroyed these characters with their short terms sales melodrama stories. The editors are sleeping at the wheel.

    Jim was not afraid to make writers come up with a logical conclusion to their stories.
    I agree, and to add on to that, I find that all of their problems stem from one thing: them using comics to fulfill their selfish desires.

    Marvel has been basically proactively working against its paying fanbase with the stories they put out. They continue to try to force the issue, knowing full well that the PAYING customers don't like it and do not buy it (example: the Captain Marvel stuff, it has had to be rebooted at least once or twice every year for what like the past 5 years now?). All so the writers can pat themselves on the back for being good "progressive" people when the stories they present portray the characters as hollow stereotypes or just plain whack.

    DC on the other hand has been pushing their pet characters to make everybody like what they like, and not in a good way. They have been screwing these characters over to do it. Examples: Wally West (Been put through the wringer ever since New 52 and still can't catch a break. Heck, he even had his personality jacked and given to Barry), Kyle Rayner (Geoff Johns was given the "ok" to kill this guy in GL Rebirth to make more room for Hal, thankfully he didn't do it but now the character is just irrelevant), John Stewart (We all know about this one), Jason Rusch (Been pretty much removed from all things Firestorm, even the ability that made him unique from the first one was given to Ronnie even when they split, thus making him unneeded).

    If the comics industry is to pull itself out the mud, they've got to stop being this way. You can't keep throwing money away by screwing up beloved characters to either virtue signal or simply give more spotlight to your preferred character, lecturing the fans about their political views (that you the writer know nothing of), and trying to force the issue by putting out books with characters that fail every single time then crying bigotry when they do. They have to start caring about this stuff again, I know these characters have always been used to get that $, but at least there was heart and soul put into them and their stories. Now it's just empty.....

  9. #1119
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It's probably due to Scott Snyder fumbling as a writer (dropping a plot thread and/or taking way too long to actually conclude it or build upon it, while ignoring a character in his roster). As I've said before, he probably does not have much interest in Green Lantern compared to the other toys he has available to him. I'm guessing John is only there as a nod to the Justice League cartoon, not because Snyder has anything particularly compelling for the character.

    I don't think editorial had much to do with this, partially because it seems like such little editing goes on these days. If I was editor, I would at least inform Snyder of my concerns and criticisms of his work, especially since the sales on the book are relatively tepid. However, that would be a risky political maneuver, because Scott Snyder is a much bigger name in the industry than whoever is editing Justice League.

    Some creators having too much power and being able to do things willy-nilly is one of the problems with the industry these days. Meanwhile, the editors don't often seem to have much of a cohesive plan or vision for their characters, or much coordination between themselves. Some people jump on Jim Shooter for being a tyrant, but all I really know is he was never afraid to veto creators who were doing or wanted to do stupid crap, that he took Marvel out of the gutter, the comics sold a lot better in his day, he introduced a lucrative and innovative market for the time, and in my opinion, the comics were generally better quality than what we see today. Scott Snyder's Justice League likely would have been edited. "Your story is taking way too long to tell. It's this never ending thing, and it's not even particularly compelling most of the time. You should have wrapped this stuff up a long time ago, so we can focus on other things and other characters." I would tell him something like that if I was editing his book. Actually...I'd probably just fire him off the book, but that's me

    That's another thing, too. You've got to be on the hunt for good stories. That's number 1. That comes even before pandering to big name creators, in my book. Snyder isn't delivering a good enough story, in my view. It's had some bright points, but overall, it's kinda' boring to me, and the sales aren't really strong, relatively speaking.
    Those are some really good points. About Jim Shooter, I heard good things about him. I heard that he was VERY strict over at Marvel and done what it takes to make Marvel a successful publisher. He may have been hard on those creators but it seemed to pay off. It does seem like these writers are getting away with too much and we need someone like that. We need someone, who doesn't care whether you're A-list creator writer or not. If you're falling off track, you need to be called out.

  10. #1120
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I agree, and to add on to that, I find that all of their problems stem from one thing: them using comics to fulfill their selfish desires.

    Marvel has been basically proactively working against its paying fanbase with the stories they put out. They continue to try to force the issue, knowing full well that the PAYING customers don't like it and do not buy it (example: the Captain Marvel stuff, it has had to be rebooted at least once or twice every year for what like the past 5 years now?). All so the writers can pat themselves on the back for being good "progressive" people when the stories they present portray the characters as hollow stereotypes or just plain whack.

    DC on the other hand has been pushing their pet characters to make everybody like what they like, and not in a good way. They have been screwing these characters over to do it. Examples: Wally West (Been put through the wringer ever since New 52 and still can't catch a break. Heck, he even had his personality jacked and given to Barry), Kyle Rayner (Geoff Johns was given the "ok" to kill this guy in GL Rebirth to make more room for Hal, thankfully he didn't do it but now the character is just irrelevant), John Stewart (We all know about this one), Jason Rusch (Been pretty much removed from all things Firestorm, even the ability that made him unique from the first one was given to Ronnie even when they split, thus making him unneeded).

    If the comics industry is to pull itself out the mud, they've got to stop being this way. You can't keep throwing money away by screwing up beloved characters to either virtue signal or simply give more spotlight to your preferred character, lecturing the fans about their political views (that you the writer know nothing of), and trying to force the issue by putting out books with characters that fail every single time then crying bigotry when they do. They have to start caring about this stuff again, I know these characters have always been used to get that $, but at least there was heart and soul put into them and their stories. Now it's just empty.....

  11. #1121
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I agree, and to add on to that, I find that all of their problems stem from one thing: them using comics to fulfill their selfish desires.

    Marvel has been basically proactively working against its paying fanbase with the stories they put out. They continue to try to force the issue, knowing full well that the PAYING customers don't like it and do not buy it (example: the Captain Marvel stuff, it has had to be rebooted at least once or twice every year for what like the past 5 years now?). All so the writers can pat themselves on the back for being good "progressive" people when the stories they present portray the characters as hollow stereotypes or just plain whack.
    I doubt Jason Aaron, Redjack, Bryan Hill, David Walker, Priest, G Willow Wilson,Amy Reeder, Saladin Ahmed, Donnie Cates, Rodney Barnes, Vita, Brandon Montclare, Al Ewing, Greg Pak, Chip Z, Leah Williams or Eve Ewing are doing that. Especially the ones who are working at more than one company.

    Carol Danvers as Cap Marvel from 2011-now has had 3 restarts.
    Moon Knight is at 3.
    Hal Jordan is at 3.
    Nightwing is at 3.
    Red Sonja is at 4.
    Miles Morales is at 4.

    Just saying........she is NOT the only one. She's an easy target for those who don't like her.

    DC on the other hand has been pushing their pet characters to make everybody like what they like, and not in a good way. They have been screwing these characters over to do it. Examples: Wally West (Been put through the wringer ever since New 52 and still can't catch a break. Heck, he even had his personality jacked and given to Barry), Kyle Rayner (Geoff Johns was given the "ok" to kill this guy in GL Rebirth to make more room for Hal, thankfully he didn't do it but now the character is just irrelevant), John Stewart (We all know about this one), Jason Rusch (Been pretty much removed from all things Firestorm, even the ability that made him unique from the first one was given to Ronnie even when they split, thus making him unneeded).
    Yet when this is pointed out-guess who gets told to shut up or you're jealous or get the fan card challenged.
    Am I lying John fans?

    And Jason got it WORST-Doomsday Clock NULLIFIED the New 52's book.

  12. #1122
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    While I like the ideal that John probably served in the Marines in part to further his education to become an architect, I really do think it is time to stop making the USMC such a crucial part of his character.

    John actually had a sense of humor during the Bronze Age.

    In another thread, I was just posting about how Guy's personality was greatly modernized during GLTAS. Like in the Bronze Age, Guy followed the edicts of the Guardians, but he was still an a-hole. The Guardians did not care so long as he was not insubordinate, like Hal often is. They avoided using Guy's more sinister undertones from the books.

    John was already a GL behind the scenes, but the series was canceled. I really wish the series would have lived to see another season. I am curious to see what new spin the creators would have used on John. Somehow, I doubt we would have seen the die-hard Marine incarnation.

    It is crucial to keep John as a deep, and forward thinking character. Even in his first appearance, despite the attitude he gave off, that was just a bluff to distract as he was thinking several steps ahead of the game. It was not until the end of the adventure that Hal realized that.

    Funny enough, that kinda reminds me of Black Panther. A great BP story should show that whatever T'Challa is dangling in front of you is not a true MacGuffin.

    With blue ring half charged, I do hope to see more outside media incarnations of John Stewart showing various aspects of his personality.

  13. #1123
    Spectacular Member Cosmic Emerald 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I doubt Jason Aaron, Redjack, Bryan Hill, David Walker, Priest, G Willow Wilson,Amy Reeder, Saladin Ahmed, Donnie Cates, Rodney Barnes, Vita, Brandon Montclare, Al Ewing, Greg Pak, Chip Z, Leah Williams or Eve Ewing are doing that. Especially the ones who are working at more than one company.

    Carol Danvers as Cap Marvel from 2011-now has had 3 restarts.
    Moon Knight is at 3.
    Hal Jordan is at 3.
    Nightwing is at 3.
    Red Sonja is at 4.
    Miles Morales is at 4.

    Just saying........she is NOT the only one. She's an easy target for those who don't like her.



    Yet when this is pointed out-guess who gets told to shut up or you're jealous or get the fan card challenged.
    Am I lying John fans?

    And Jason got it WORST-Doomsday Clock NULLIFIED the New 52's book.
    I can make a case for Jason Aaron with his Jane Foster nonsense in his Thor run, but yeah obviously not EVERY single writer is like that. Still, the fact that writers who are like that in the company is part of what's killing it.

    As for Carol, yeah she isn't the only one, and she is an easy target because she has been written to be so unlikable and in the forefront of everything now (which is another dumb mistake by Marvel). It's not the character's fault obviously, it's the people handling her. Nonetheless, in her current state she is hated by many for good reason.

    Yeah, now every time I see Firestorm I just wish we could get Jason back.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 08-22-2019 at 01:35 AM.

  14. #1124
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    For my DCU History project, I have been looking for a clean picture of the old Cully Hamner poster done to promote GL Mosaic back in the day to no avail. So, I decided to try and restore one digitally. Thought you guys would appreciate it.


  15. #1125
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For my DCU History project, I have been looking for a clean picture of the old Cully Hamner poster done to promote GL Mosaic back in the day to no avail. So, I decided to try and restore one digitally. Thought you guys would appreciate it.

    and you were right, these greens really pop. nice work!
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Lantern.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •