Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Encountered this on the internet,John is looking fine in here

Attachment 77245
    Looks good!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't think I see it affecting the comic version in pretty much any way. The movie version could probably be a little cockier and more reminiscent of classic John Stewart, unless they want to make Hal the "cool uncle" type and John the "serious rookie". Geoff Johns most likely won't write Hal like Denny O'Neil or Gerard Johns did regardless of his age, so who knows really. What's interesting to me is they have a chance to flip the old formula about the wise mentor and the rebellious student. Seeing the "student" thinking the "mentor" doesn't take his job as seriously as he should be, could present a more interesting dynamic than the one we usually see in those buddy cop films.
    AFAIK, that dynamic would be the set-up for the film. It's supposed to be "Lethal Weapon" in Space.

Extraordinary Member

I don't mind if John is trained by Hal in the film, so long as the story is good, and the writing avoids overly used tropes.

I'm just not the biggest fan of Johns writing John & Hal.

I actually wish James Gunn was working on GLC instead of Johns & Goyer.

I'm not sure if Goyer is still attached. They had Johns start writing a new script last summer and he's also producing it. And if you were to believe some of the scoopers, apparently noone wants to direct it. So I'm thinking Johns' script has to end up really impressing WB to even consider giving the movie the green light, because they must know they can't rush things like they did before. It's a shame, given it was one of the hottest DC properties a decade ago. Still, Aquaman has been a huge success and Johns was very involved with it, so perhaps that movie's success could give him some more clout as far as the studio moving forward with GLC is concerned. Same thing if Shazam ends up being successful too.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-21-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Just saw the preview for Justice League 16, we got a nice little John moment. I hope we get more in the issue. I hoped we'd get some answers about his ring and the UV by now. I gotta stop reading monthly solicits.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-22-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Personally , I would love to see The GLC Movie to be lead by both Hal Jordan and John Strwart and tbh I would hope they introduce Kyle Reiner and maybe do a sort of movie story wise like Geoff John's Green Lanter Rebirth and then lead into a Lantern / Sinestro war, Brightest Day Blackest Night Storylinr down the road through a series of stand alone style build up films .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Question; Considering the rumor (I believe it's only a rumor at this point. Not sure) that the Green Lantern Corps is supposed to be a older Hal training a young John, how do you guys think this could effect John's characterization? In the movie and/or in comics.
    You want a box office bomb-go that route.

No one want white savior training the black male trope. Lets keep Hal away for now.

Why not have him already established. IN fact why not do that for all? You can do origins in direct to Netflix movies.

Have John on Mosaic and trying to established law & order.

Unless you are going to pull a Spiderverse. At least then you can have John, Hal, Guy, Kyle and if their co-creator ever grows up-Simon & Jessica.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You want a box office bomb-go that route.

No one want white savior training the black male trope. Lets keep Hal away for now.

Why not have him already established. IN fact why not do that for all? You can do origins in direct to Netflix movies.

Have John on Mosaic and trying to established law & order.

Unless you are going to pull a Spiderverse. At least then you can have John, Hal, Guy, Kyle and if their co-creator ever grows up-Simon & Jessica.
    I understand some fans' frustration about this, but I don't think the movie could bomb, because of Hal training John. Although, personally I do prefer someone like Kat training John, rather than Hal.

I don't think it's the case of a white savior training a black male. The only reason that concept looked bad in Barry's case, was because black Wally was a stereotype, where it took a white guy to make him turn into a good person.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I understand some fans' frustration about this, but I don't think the movie could bomb, because of Hal training John. Although, personally I do prefer someone like Kat training John, rather than Hal.

I don't think it's the case of a white savior training a black male. The only reason that concept looked bad in Barry's case, was because black Wally was a stereotype, where it took a white guy to make him turn into a good person.
    You can get a lot of fun mileage if you have an older, reckless, but still highly competent Hal mentoring a highly competent, disciplined, but young John.

Even though I heard the Lethal Weapon in Space phrase, I think a Tango & Cash (an action film starring Sylvester Stallone & Kurt Russel as total opposites but still effective cops with a very young Teri Hatcher thrown in) in Space would be just as fun.

I would prefer Kat train John, but it might be better to use Kat & Sinestro in a sequel (assuming the fist film is a hit). IMO, Johns needs to prove he can do a GL project without making it a love letter to Sinestro.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    You can get a lot of fun mileage if you have an older, reckless, but still highly competent Hal mentoring a highly competent, disciplined, but young John.

Even though I heard the Lethal Weapon in Space phrase, I think a Tango & Cash (an action film starring Sylvester Stallone & Kurt Russel as total opposites but still effective cops with a very young Teri Hatcher thrown in) in Space would be just as fun.

I would prefer Kat train John, but it might be better to use Kat & Sinestro in a sequel (assuming the fist film is a hit). IMO, Johns needs to prove he can do a GL project without making it a love letter to Sinestro.
    Good points, Anthony!

Looks like The Green Lantern #2 sales has dipped far below than expected, especially with one of DC's top writers on the book. This is unfortunate, because this gives a lesser chance for John to get his own book and now, I don't see the GLC book even happening if it continues to dip like this.

I've seen some other major titles' dip from the first issue to the second and in comparison it doesn't seem to be as steep as the rest. Snyder's JL went from 200K to 86K, Fantastic Four from around 370K to 86K, Black Panther from 122K to 34K and The Green Lantern went from 113K to 64K. Even Batman is down to 88K now when a few years back we'd never see Batman go below 100K. I guess it's the nature of the direct market now and I'm pretty much used to the idea that without gimmicks, a million variant covers or constant renumbering, a series like Green Lantern will never be a best-selling title again, with or without Grant Morrison writing. With that being said I don't think there's no chance for a GLC book or a John Stewart-led GL book. Maybe not an ongoing but if Martian Manhunter can have a 12-issue maxi series, I don't see why John Stewart can't.

I don't think I see it affecting the comic version in pretty much any way. The movie version could probably be a little cockier and more reminiscent of classic John Stewart, unless they want to make Hal the "cool uncle" type and John the "serious rookie". Geoff Johns most likely won't write Hal like Denny O'Neil or Gerard Johns did regardless of his age, so who knows really. What's interesting to me is they have a chance to flip the old formula about the wise mentor and the rebellious student. Seeing the "student" thinking the "mentor" doesn't take his job as seriously as he should be, could present a more interesting dynamic than the one we usually see in those buddy cop films.
    Did any of you guys see that short-lived "Training Day" tv show? (RIP Bill Paxton) I kept thinking of movie Hal and John the entire time. (esp since the younger guy was in the military)

I've seen some other major titles' dip from the first issue to the second and in comparison it doesn't seem to be as steep as the rest. Snyder's JL went from 200K to 86K, Fantastic Four from around 370K to 86K, Black Panther from 122K to 34K and The Green Lantern went from 113K to 64K. Even Batman is down to 88K now when a few years back we'd never see Batman go below 100K. I guess it's the nature of the direct market now and I'm pretty much used to the idea that without gimmicks, a million variant covers or constant renumbering, a series like Green Lantern will never be a best-selling title again, with or without Grant Morrison writing. With that being said I don't think there's no chance for a GLC book or a John Stewart-led GL book. Maybe not an ongoing but if Martian Manhunter can have a 12-issue maxi series, I don't see why John Stewart can't.
    I know it's normal for titles these days to have a dip, but I didn't expect it to be this much of a difference with Grant Morrison's book. Although Batman is below 100k now, take into consideration that the Batman character has two new titles that are at the #1 and #2 spot in sales. I don't see why Green Lantern will never be a best-selling title. Why not?

Yea, I was just thinking DC was going to wait to see how The Green Lantern is going to do before thinking about releasing another GL-related title alongside with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I know it's normal for titles these days to have a dip, but I didn't expect it to be this much of a difference with Grant Morrison's book. Although Batman is below 100k now, take into consideration that the Batman character has two new titles that are at the #1 and #2 spot in sales. I don't see why Green Lantern will never be a best-selling title. Why not?

Yea, I was just thinking DC was going to wait to see how The Green Lantern is going to do before thinking about releasing another GL-related title alongside with it.
    Let me rephrase, perhaps it very well could, it's just that, in hindsight even the Johns run seemed like a situation where all the stars aligned. They brought back a classic character who was done wrong before and many people wanted to see him back, they made the new GL run very accessible to new readers without discarding everything that came before so old readers could enjoy it too, they had a writer who was already a star in the making and that run was his ticket to superstardom, they introduced new concepts that expanded the mythos, the concept of the stakes getting higher with each arc also hadn't lost its luster yet, so it just went full throttle in so many aspects and sales reflected that.

Today perhaps something new has to be done again that also retains both that sense of familiarity and is accessible to new and current audience. I'm just not sure what specifically. Morrison's run feels more like a nostalgia trip, which is fine but it's probably not a way to bring in new fans, so only his name wasn't going to be enough to keep it a top 10 title. Green Lanterns did bring in some new fans, but despite that Jessica became a fan-favorite character that DC seems committed to, the sales were still down in the 30K/20K a year later.