Page 86 of 103 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1538
    BANNED

DC specifically solicited Morrison to write Hal. Why are they not doing this with John and Mari?

They DGAF about characters of color and will only put on a show without any real commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    DC specifically solicited Morrison to write Hal. Why are they not doing this with John and Mari?

They DGAF about characters of color and will only put on a show without any real commitment.
    They really don't and don't care at all. As long as Dan Didio is still there, there's no chance to ever see that happening.

BANNED

X-Men have different powers, so they're mostly unique. GLs all have the same abilities. You can say their imaginations are different, but that has no real effect on storytelling. They're all essentially the same.

And DC is sh**ing on their existing characters to pat themselves on the back for 2 years before their issues with diversity return. How can PoC characters ever be seen as equal to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc., when they're being treated like generic satellite characters who are constantly shoved in the background?

I'm not interested in representation alone. I want quality, which comes from consistency and good storytelling.
    the reason the X-Men work is because they are an ensemble and Marvel handles them like an ensemble, which includes giving them different looks and powers and skills. DC seems to be stuck on this thing where despite the GL mythos haven't plenty of room to accommodate all their ensemble of characters, they rather just treat the Lanterns like they are all solo and thus all need to compete to share the same mold. with so many Lantern corps there is zero reason why they would have 7 or 8 earth lanterns with the same powers, which so many applications of the the Emotional Spectrum, even within the Green Lanterns, there is zero reason they should all be more or less interchangeable in non-Green Lantern stories. This isn't a matter of there being too many characters, the issue is there is no Hickman type to sit down and organize the Lantern landscape in a way that reconfigures the franchise to better facilitate a harmonious ensemble cast structure, where they all are distinct and treated with respect.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-13-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the reason the X-Men work is because they are an ensemble and Marvel handles them like an ensemble, which includes giving them different looks and powers and skills. DC seems to be stuck on this thing where despite the GL mythos haven't plenty of room to accommodate all their ensemble of characters, they rather just treat the Lanterns like they are all solo and thus all need to compete to share the same mold. with so many Lantern corps there is zero reason why they would have 7 or 8 earth lanterns with the same powers, which so many applications of the the Emotional Spectrum, even within the Green Lanterns, there is zero reason they should all be more or less interchangeable in non-Green Lantern stories. This isn't a matter of there being too many characters, the issue is there is no Hickman type to sit down and organize the Lantern landscape in a way that reconfigures the franchise to better facilitate a harmonious ensemble structure where they all are distinct and treated with respect.
    Moving human like Guy to other Corps like the Reds alleviates some of the pressure, but Earth having 8 human GLs while other whole sectors having 1-2, will never not be dumb. Also, the premise of GL is hardlight constructs. There's only so much you can do with than idea to differentiate characters. I'm not interested in prominent satellite characters. I want PoC leading franchises indefinitely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the reason the X-Men work is because they are an ensemble and Marvel handles them like an ensemble, which includes giving them different looks and powers and skills. DC seems to be stuck on this thing where despite the GL mythos haven't plenty of room to accommodate all their ensemble of characters, they rather just treat the Lanterns like they are all solo and thus all need to compete to share the same mold. with so many Lantern corps there is zero reason why they would have 7 or 8 earth lanterns with the same powers, which so many applications of the the Emotional Spectrum, even within the Green Lanterns, there is zero reason they should all be more or less interchangeable in non-Green Lantern stories. This isn't a matter of there being too many characters, the issue is there is no Hickman type to sit down and organize the Lantern landscape in a way that reconfigures the franchise to better facilitate a harmonious ensemble structure where they all are distinct and treated with respect.
    That's YOUR idea of what you might want it to be, but Green Lantern is not an ensemble. It's a single character. It was ever since it began in 1940. It was when the concept was re-imagined in 1959, and it is right now. He just has a lot of supporting characters and offshoot characters around him with similar powers. The closest a Green Lantern comic has gotten to an ensemble is the 1980s Steve Englehart Green Lantern Corps series. Even the later GLC books had lead characters, usually Guy Gardner. Green Lantern will never be an ensemble for a decent length of time because it has too much history--like 80 years' worth--of not being one. Someone might try what you're suggesting for a little while, but it would inevitably get reversed by someone else.

I agree that 8, 9, or 10 (or whatever number it's at) human Green Lanterns from Earth will never not be dumb. For that to work, Green Lantern would have to be re-imagined once again, like it was in 1959 to accommodate that concept.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-12-2019 at 10:56 PM.

BANNED

I'm not interested in prominent satellite characters. I want PoC leading franchises indefinitely.
    Then you should probably give up being interested in John Stewart, because that's what he is. I know that might sound snarky and discouraging, but I don't mean it as such. I'm just being "real," and I wouldn't want people to waste their time.

John Stewart will probably never get out of Hal Jordan's shadow. He only managed it on the Justice League cartoon (which was temporary, look what happened to him) because Hal was dead in the comics at the time. Well...you never want to say never, but I highly, HIGHLY doubt John Stewart ever will.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

For what it's worth, if Morrison had to pick either, I'd actually prefer Mari. While John can use the push, I feel like he'd have more creative liberty with Vixen and would be the best shot she'd ever have to jump up from B/C list to high B or even A list. It would take some gonzo take that only he can do. I think DC would get in his way far more with John than they ever would with Mari.

I wouldn't put Morrison on a Vixen or John Stewart book.

Anyone know of any good fanfics starring John?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For what it's worth, if Morrison had to pick either, I'd actually prefer Mari. While John can use the push, I feel like he'd have more creative liberty with Vixen and would be the best shot she'd ever have to jump up from B/C list to high B or even A list. It would take some gonzo take that only he can do. I think DC would get in his way far more with John than they ever would with Mari.
    Yes, why capitalize on your most popular black character?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yes, why capitalize on your most popular black character?
    Because in that isolated case, I think Morrison would give us a better story with Vixen and I think she's also a great character who deserves attention?

Batman is their current most popular character. That doesn't mean I want every A-list writer de facto on his book. Same with John. It was a very specific choice of Morrison on John/Vixen and he sounds more appealing one the latter to me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Then you should probably give up being interested in John Stewart, because that's what he is. I know that might sound snarky and discouraging, but I don't mean it as such. I'm just being "real," and I wouldn't want people to waste their time.
    No you are not. This is a reality a lot of folks understand.

Imagine Sam Wilson taking the mantle of Cap and then 6 other characters filling the role within the following 5 years. How does Sam benefit?
    Because that is the only way to get a book starring him on the shelves of comic book stores and SOME book stores.
    He was already getting toys and some merchandise.

Sam as Cap America got 25 issues, a one shot & a mini. 6 trades.
    Along with LEADING the Avengers. That is what 4-5 trades of that?
    So we are talking 10 trades of him as a LEAD.

Sam as himself got 8 issues. One trade to go along with his collection before Captain America Winter Solider.
    2 trades of him as a LEAD.

Not to mention the older Cap America & Falcon run of the 70s & Priest's version.
    10+ trades as a COLEAD.

More folks will have access to Sam as a LEAD while he was Cap America & colead as Falcon.

For all the cries about why can't blank have his own blank-this is why.

Take Black Lightning. Store owners went OFF on Tony Isabella about what he said about Brian Hill's Outsiders. Some stores did not carry that BL mini series. In fact very few talked about it.
    Yet throw him in a book with Batman's name on it-nobody has an issue ordering copies or talking about it. DESPITE Batman doing cameos. That is stealth Black Lightning book using Batman's name. Like a certain book from Wakanda has been used for an ex-wife.

Right now for Marvel & DC-it's an era of using SOMEONE ELSE'S name to help build CERTAIN POC.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Man don't get angry over a stupid ship that has ended 13 years ago if you stop giving it any thought you will forget about this stuff in minutes no need to get yourself angry over fictional characters.
    huh!? It's not a stupid ship to me. It's my opinion. And I have the right to criticize the writer and comics publisher as I wish. Nothing wrong with that. The only reason why I see some Hawkgirl fans not being upset about it is because they still think it's going to happen (which I doubt). And I find it interesting you only talk to John fans this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because in that isolated case, I think Morrison would give us a better story with Vixen and I think she's also a great character who deserves attention?

Batman is their current most popular character. That doesn't mean I want every A-list writer de facto on his book. Same with John. It was a very specific choice of Morrison on John/Vixen and he sounds more appealing one the latter to me.
    I think Morrison can write a real good quality John Stewart story if it's similar to Mosaic. What was shown in Mosaic seems like more of his style.

Why can't both John and Vixen get A-list quality writers? They're very popular black characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because that is the only way to get a book starring him on the shelves of comic book stores and SOME book stores.
    He was already getting toys and some merchandise.

Sam as Cap America got 25 issues, a one shot & a mini. 6 trades.
    Along with LEADING the Avengers. That is what 4-5 trades of that?
    So we are talking 10 trades of him as a LEAD.

Sam as himself got 8 issues. One trade to go along with his collection before Captain America Winter Solider.
    2 trades of him as a LEAD.

Not to mention the older Cap America & Falcon run of the 70s & Priest's version.
    10+ trades as a COLEAD.

More folks will have access to Sam as a LEAD while he was Cap America & colead as Falcon.

For all the cries about why can't blank have his own blank-this is why.

Take Black Lightning. Store owners went OFF on Tony Isabella about what he said about Brian Hill's Outsiders. Some stores did not carry that BL mini series. In fact very few talked about it.
    Yet throw him in a book with Batman's name on it-nobody has an issue ordering copies or talking about it. DESPITE Batman doing cameos. That is stealth Black Lightning book using Batman's name. Like a certain book from Wakanda has been used for an ex-wife.

Right now for Marvel & DC-it's an era of using SOMEONE ELSE'S name to help build CERTAIN POC.
    Point is Sam wouldn't have gotten those things as Cap if 5 more Caps showed up within 5 years of him getting the title. He'd get 20% of that.