Page 89 of 103 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    There you go. Connection made.
    That is not a connection. It's a gag referencing a fan theory. John being a Green Lantern in 9ne alternate universe does not make him a John Stewart counterpart. The creators themselves shot down this theory years ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I completely agree.
    I've always been a fan of Jim Lee and I see him as the lesser issue and I honestly believe DiDio is the majority of the issue with DC right now. Although at this point, I think a fresh, clean slate

It's astounded me why Vixen, John, Cyborg, even Martian Manhunter to a degree in this conversation (and I know there's plenty others) haven't received pushes and been included in more. I don't think there's anything nefarious behind it, I simply think they're focused on everything else to prioritize these other characters.
    You are kidding right John didn't even get half of the push cyborg gets,let's not mention that he got two solo series and always being in a league book while appearing in outside media like animated TV shows,films and the justice league movie and possibly a solo movie in the future I will totally agree with Vixen and Martin manhunter is the central character in the snyder run so he's fine right now if you ask me characters like steel and bronze tiger are treated way worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That is not a connection. It's a gag referencing a fan theory. John being a Green Lantern in 9ne alternate universe does not make him a John Stewart counterpart. The creators themselves shot down this theory years ago.
    You literally cannot cite a connection, call it a gag, and then say there is NO connection and be rational at the same time. But whatever helps you sleep at night. There's no point in me going back and forth with someone like that. There either has been a connection made, or there hasn't. There is no in between. Green Lantern was clearly referenced in relation to Diggle by an alternate Flash. It s not a leap in logic to take away that this suggests a version of Diggle is an alternate Green Lantern somewhere.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-19-2019 at 03:32 PM.

DC's been trying to make Cyborg happen for a while now, it just hasn't been working. Save for Doom Patrol (which is excellent), I don't think anyone has really had a winning take on the New 52 version of the character yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You literally cannot cite a connection, call it a gag, and then say there is NO connection and be rational at the same time. But whatever helps you sleep at night. There's no point in me going back and forth with someone like that. There either has been a connection made, or there hasn't. There is no in between. Green Lantern was clearly referenced in relation to Diggle by an alternate Flash. It s not a leap in logic to take away that this suggests a version of Diggle is an alternate Green Lantern somewhere.
    You haven't even listed a connection between Diggle and Stewart yourself. All you've pointed out is that Diggle is a GL in an alternate universe (which I never denied). That is not the same thing as him being an Arrowverse counterpart to John Stewart which is what you were originally arguing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    You are kidding right John didn't even get half of the push cyborg gets,let's not mention that he got two solo series and always being in a league book while appearing in outside media like animated TV shows,films and the justice league movie and possibly a solo movie in the future I will totally agree with Vixen and Martin manhunter is the central character in the snyder run so he's fine right now if you ask me characters like steel and bronze tiger are treated way worse.
    Cyborg is the only minority character at DC-who has consistently been seen in all media. He has been a comic at the same time he has been in a movie or tv show or video game.

Other than him Spawn, Miles Morales, Storm & Falcon can say that from day one. War Machine, Moon Girl, Riri & Black Lightning are right behind them.

John can't boast that.

I simply think they're focused on everything else to prioritize these other characters.
    The gripe is you can only do that for so long. Batman nor Superman nor Barry nor Supergirl nor Wonder Woman and now Aquaman don't need to be prioritize. They sell themselves.
    And in the many cases a lack of material is NOT an issue with them.

Half Price Books is having a clearance sale this weekend. They had about 50 boxes worth of comics for 50 cents. If you wanted ANY of the above along with Nightwing, Justice League, Hal Jordan, Teen Titans & Deathstroke-all with issues from THIS YEAR as early as July. And here is the kicker-NOBODY was buying them.

What is there left to prioritize? You have reached a saturation point. Everybody who supports them already got those books.
    You have to use others. You got a collection of folks who can do it. That is the gripe everyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You haven't even listed a connection between Diggle and Stewart yourself. All you've pointed out is that Diggle is a GL in an alternate universe (which I never denied). That is not the same thing as him being an Arrowverse counterpart to John Stewart which is what you were originally arguing.
    His stepfather's name is Roy Stewart. That's more than just a simple nod to a fan theory. They're clearly going somewhere with this. To the Arrowverse, John Diggle will be to John Stewart what Curtis Holt is to Michael Holt. Curtis is different from Michael but he's still this universe's version of Mister Terrific.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-19-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    His stepfather's name is Roy Stewart. That's more than just a simple nod to a fan theory. They're clearly going somewhere with this. To the Arrowverse, John Diggle will be to John Stewart what Curtis Holt is to Michael Holt. Curtis is different from Michael but he's still this universe's version of Mister Terrific.
    If Diggle's real last name was Stewart that might mean something but it being his stepfather's name is just another nod to a fan theory. The difference between him and Curtis is that Curtis was announced as being a counterpart to Michael from the beginning while Diggle being John's counterpart was a fan theory that came out of nowhere.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    This got me thinking on how John was one of the few DC heroes whose identity was public knowledge.

It was one of many things that made him so refreshing to me as kid back in the day.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This got me thinking on how John was one of the few DC heroes whose identity was public knowledge.

It was one of many things that made him so refreshing to me as kid back in the day.
    Yeah, I really liked how he didn't wear a mask, in contrast to some of his comrades. Really reflects his direct personality and makes sense given that he's regularly off world.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    So Earth alone has like 9 or 10 lanterns operating within the last 5-10 years, lol? All in the same Corps with the exact same powers? How is this mantle at all special? And between Hal, Simon, Jessica, Teen Lantern, and Far Sector Lantern, half of them have taken on lead roles, while fans of their existing IP like John Stewart and Mari McCabe are continuing to be sidelined. Imagine if instead of developing Black Panther, Marvel just came up with a new PoC every two years, centered stories on them for 2 years and them let them fall into background character status-- Would T'Challa have enough material for his own franchise?
    The funniest thing is DC's management picks and chooses who gets to stick around. They'll let certain characters get canceled again and again or have middling sales and there's no talk about killing them off. Hell they'll do ANYTHING to get them over and yet I have never seen them go to bat to that level for any character that was Bronze Age or later which they didn't have a direct hand in creating. I don't even get mad anymore because every time DC takes an L I just laugh and laugh and laugh.

What's even stranger is before Johns came onto GL they had human GLs with the GLC before Hal who existed in colonial times or in feudal China (two examples I can think of) but they got retconned out. I think the Far Sector GL is in the future (not sure) so at least that's one less one in the present day on Earth but then there's seven more and Teen Lantern as well. They could have at least made some of them not from the USA or from different time periods but that was never even considered.

As far as John Stewart goes I quit caring when they removed Van Jensen from GLC. Then the editorial (I'm guessing) put John, Jruk, Arisia, and them in that foolish Lost Army book and then proceeded to cancel it. Every thing I've read in this thread since just cements that it was the right decision to give up on DC doing anything worthwhile with John. There's more variety these days if you want to read Black characters and that is what I have chosen to do. Maybe someday DC will finally get rid of Dan Didio, Geoff Johns, Bob Harras, Jim Lee and the like but if harboring a sexual harasser and bungling stuff year after year after year couldn't do it I don't know what could.

BANNED

I gave up on John Stewart some years ago. I'm sure I seem very pessimistic, but I think it's better to come to grips with things than waste your time. If DC does something good with John Stewart, I'm sure we'll all hear about it and that will be great, but I'm not holding out hope for that or waiting for it, and while others can certainly do what they feel comfortable with, I don't recommend it for them, either, because it's probably a waste of your time and emotional energy investment (and even your money, buying things like certain comics HOPING for a good John Stewart showing and development), and those are some of the most valuable resources you have. I would just prefer if people don't get the bait and switch maneuver pulled on them, and following John Stewart, you're going to get hit with that over and over again. So, for someone new trying to get into the character...I would warn them.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-22-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

For me, I am quite content to reread the GL run from the 1980s in order to enjoy great John Stewart stories.

I feel that those stories were very unique, although I wish it could have lasted longer.

Honestly, I think DC has a lot of great Bronze Age content, like GL, Batman, & the Legion. I find the Silver Age stuff hit or miss.

Part of me thinks DC basically died during the Crisis. I kinda feel like the first Crisis was a great jumping off point because a lot of great characters became broken afterwards. Even the break-out characters that emerged Post-Crisis were eventually broken, like John Stewart & Wally West.

Anyway, I am sticking to old school.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    For me, I am quite content to reread the GL run from the 1980s in order to enjoy great John Stewart stories.
    Yeah, I'd say that is probably John Stewart's best run, if you don't count the first two seasons of JL toons.

After that, I'd say Mosaic, and then the Van Jensen run. Lastly, Lost Army (which is not really good). Nothing else with John is really worth reading for a good John Stewart experience. Certainly nothing Johns or Tomasi, or Bedard wrote, and a John Stewart fan can just skip Darkstars and the entire Kyle Rayner era. Unfortunately, like you mentioned, John Stewart's runs are always very short, but there are a couple really good ones in there. the 80s run and Mosaic are really good, IMO. Jensen is okay. Not bad, but not great, and Lost Army is just not that good, especially since it doesn't finish.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-23-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    It's sad. So sad.

I have no idea how DiDio still has a job.
    Same reason he got the job in the first place: He was willing to run DC the way the higher ups at WB wanted whereas under Levitz DC was mostly left to itself.