Page 96 of 103 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1538
    BANNED

If a writer wanted to, he or she could easily reestablish John's relationships with Tawny and his mom:

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Oh. I feel my criticisms of Scott Snyder's Justice League run are 10,000% accurate, and I think this late in the game, people should be able to see that for themselves. I hope it goes to show when I make some "depressing" post or whatever, it's not just me saying stuff. I've read enough of these comics and enough of these characters to see certain...patterns, and I knew pretty early on that regardless of whatever Snyder may have said, he didn't have much at all in store for John Stewart and his JL run would be just another JL run with John Stewart not doing anything that matters.

As for Robert Venditti, as I said, I think he's an exceptionally poor writer, but I don't know how he will handle John Stewart in Justice League. I would say expect more of the same. His run is probably going to be filler, so probably nothing too substantial will happen with anyone or anything. Even when he was trying to get John over in his Green Lantern comics by making him the leader of the GLC, he still managed to put forward an especially boring John Stewart. A cardboard black man with little emotion, no interest in anything besides leading the GLC, no sex drive, no relationships with anyone romantic or otherwise, no flaws, and he usually stayed in a command center. He was what I would call an incomplete character for someone who is supposed to be somewhat of a leading character. A boringly safe black man. You could even say a Gordon Goodbrother.

What you said is actually surprisingly true if you go through the years of Green Lantern comics. John is often needing to be saved by Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, or someone. Like in this storyline, John is captured really early on, and he needs Hal and Guy to save him, who get to do the adventuring while John is incapacitated for most of the story.

It's part of why it's difficult for me to really get behind a character like that. He's written too often as a supporting character to benefit another character's story, or he's generally incompetent, or written very boring, and he's depressing, forever going on about how his life sucks. That's just not fun to read.
    EXACTLY!!! That's what I've been talking about. John always have to look bad so other Green Lantern characters can look good. I think we have to understand is that these writers are fans, too. It's almost like some posters on this forum, who are fans of Hal Jordan or whoever else are writing these comics and they have to handle John in their book. So yea, writers are fans as much as we are.

I don't expect any big developments for John Stewart when Robert Venditti takes over either.

Mighty Member

I kinda liked John’s interactions with Zod under Venditti. John was treated well, in my opinion.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    His original outspoken appearance is what inspired his personality in the cartoon.

http://jl.popgeeks.com/lantern/lantern.htm

Yes, they're different, but both versions made John outspoken in their own way. Van Jensen brought this back in John's New 52 origin and in Zero Year.

He had an edge in the 80s too:

John's outspokenness is only played down when writers want to designate Hal or Guy as the outspoken one. I like that John can be thoughtful and diplomatic and that he prefers not to wing, but he definitely needs to show a range of emotion and to vocally oppose BS. I think that's the core of his original appearance anyway.
    I have no counter-arguments for any of this. My only issue with those scans is that very rarely will writers follow-up with that characterization to so how layered John is.

I love the DCAU version of John.

My issue is that the comic creators instilled the marine background, but with none of the agency that the DCAU version had. So, John became really boring, and safe....unless a planet needed to be destroyed or a weak-willed GL needed his neck snapped.

Vampire Savior called comic book John a Gordon Goodbrother (what phrase!), and for the most part, it was an accurate description.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    If a writer wanted to, he or she could easily reestablish John's relationships with Tawny and his mom:

Steve Englehart totally dropped he ball with Sam Wilson towards the end of his Captain America run.

However, he really redeemed himself with John Stewart, imo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    EXACTLY!!! That's what I've been talking about. John always have to look bad so other Green Lantern characters can look good. I think we have to understand is that these writers are fans, too. It's almost like some posters on this forum, who are fans of Hal Jordan or whoever else are writing these comics and they have to handle John in their book. So yea, writers are fans as much as we are.

I don't expect any big developments for John Stewart when Robert Venditti takes over either.
    I will always love the Steve Englehart run because he made John & Hal look strong.

BANNED

BANNED

Started reading Can't Hurt Me today. It's an autobiography of David Goggins, a former Air Force Combat Controller and Navy SEAL turned ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete, and motivational speaker. Writers should definitely draw on his bio when writing John. This dude is living, breathing lesson in willpower and self-discipline.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-25-2019 at 07:22 PM.

It's sad but I think that the best opportunity for John Stewart is when a movie for Green Lantern is made and if he's included then I can see at least the possibility of John being made with better balance, and given agency.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It's sad but I think that the best opportunity for John Stewart is when a movie for Green Lantern is made and if he's included then I can see at least the possibility of John being made with better balance, and given agency.
    Steve Englehart made it look easy. It seems like alien algebra to modern writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Johns was told to rewrite his script and will have a new draft in by the end of the year.

WB says the film is a priority, and it's one of the projects they're interested in having JJ Abrams handling, along with Superman.

https://www.newsarama.com/48026-geof...os-report.html

https://www.newsarama.com/48024-j-j-...lm-report.html

This was brought up a month or so ago, but folks didn't think the original rumor came from a reputable source. Now that Newsarama is saying it, it looks like this will be more convincing.

The other rumor was that WB hopes Superman and GLC will be set in the same universe as The Batman.

JJ Abrams has previously included black characters in leading roles (Almost Human, Undercovers, etc.). With his sci fi blockbuster experience, I think he'd be a good choice for GLC. But there's no "there" there yet.

BANNED

Heheh. Maybe WB wanted a rewrite because Geoff Johns turned in a script with John Stewart only having one scene and one sentence of dialogue. And in that scene he needs to be saved by Hal Jordan.
    Seems like something he would do.

There’s nothing in the Variety article about a rewrite, I thought Johns was submitting his first go at the script.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There’s nothing in the Variety article about a rewrite, I thought Johns was submitting his first go at the script.
    I haven't read the Variety article, but here's what Newsarama wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama View Post
    The Geoff Johns-written Green Lantern Corps movie "remains a priority" for Warner Bros., according to Variety. Johns is expected to finish a new script by the end of 2019.
    Emphasis added.

Given his previous involvement over several years, I would be surprised if this were a first draft. I mean, they were shopping this to directors and actors. I remember reading about Tom Cruise turning this down.

Of course, I would expect whoever comes on board to initiate more rewrites. There was a script for GotG Marvel had before Gunn completely rewrote it from page 1.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-26-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah there's no mention of a rewrite. If my timeline is correct, the initial script was announced to be written by David Goyer and Justin Rhodes all the way back when Johns was still supposedly co-running the DC movies. He was not co-writing that script, as opposed to getting a story credit. He was then hired last year to write a new script that was reported to be separate from what came before from Goyer and Rhodes. I'm guessing that's what the line about the "new" script must be referring to, which as you said isn't in the original Variety report. I haven't heard anything about Johns delivering his own draft and the studio rejecting it and telling him to rewrite it again.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-26-2019 at 11:41 AM.