Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Excalibur [04} : Fall back and think of England Spoilers

From the preview we saw:

Gambit saying that he’ll help Rogue once he finishes helping Betsy

Gambit dealing with the crowd of ‘Keep Britain Human’ and Jubilee/Rictor come to help him
    They usually are better at handling mobs. I don’t know why they lost their patience with this crowd and used their powers.

Betsy comes out. The crowd shenanigans stops. She says that they are now recognized as Excalibur by the Queen.
    The Queen acknowledges that Otherworld is other worldly so Captain Britain can protect Krakoa and the UK.

The world now knows there is a mutant Captain Britain. No one asks about Brian.

We know what’s up with him though. He the Black Knight now.

Betsy has to go talk to Coven Akkaba at the request of the Queen.

Rictor and Gambit go on a side mission for Apocalypse to get the stones. That we find out are imbued with witch breed energy or something.

They go down into the earth and steal the druid stones.

They engage with the druids a bit but they recognize Rictor as one of their own and give him the real stones. They are basically like Earth benders, right?

Betsy goes to meet Coven Akkaba which makes no sense because didnt they destroy her family Lighthouse and try to kill her already. The meeting is basically a distraction. The Coven is playing smart. They are being manipulative.

Wild creatures from Otherworld are coming to attack the Earth realm because of dragon fire that created a portal to Earth. Was this from the Shogo Dragon?

This is a test for Betsy Braddock. Since she didnt pick the amulet or the sword.

It was given to her by Brian.

Oh Betsy all of a sudden is cool with being Captain Britain.

She just accepts the role. No introspection. No nothing.

She’s just fine with it now.

Maybe we’ll get something more next issue.

Jubilee went to Braddock Manor. Meggan is worried since Brian hasn’t been home and protestors have been harassing the academy. She doesn’t tell Meggan about Brian.

Jamie Braddock makes an appearance. He’s a sassy dick and Jubes punches him.

Cut to Apocalypse touching the glass flower coffee Rogue is in

ROGUE WAKES UP.

Apocalypse obviously has his own motives.

YAY.

Who know’s what I left out. But thats the gist of it.

I’m here for Betsy. This issue is not bad but its not great.

A slip in To’s art in my opinion.

I’ll have to read it again. I’m kind of meh to this series now when I used to be excited about it.

Hopefully some of your perspectives on this issue make me like this more.
    Last edited by CGAR; 12-18-2019 at 06:55 AM.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Another underwhelming issue. This series is going to read so clunky in a trade format.

Two positives: I’m down for Druid!Rictor and ROGUE IS AWAKE THANK ****

This is the first issue fo me that really shows the potential of this series. The bits with Betsy and Clan Akkaba were great and extremely interesting but the b-side story is really killing me. 4 issues in and we still don't know what mutant magic is. Haven't even seen a glimmer of it on page. We don't even know what these crystals are that ••A•• keeps pulling out and has Rictor and Gambit retrieve but they've been in every issue so far. This series would've benefited more from any of the magical X-characters saying something about magic has changed.

Also I'm getting the feeling Tini doesn't know what to do with Gambit and Jubilee. They just seem there and don't have much of a reason to be involved in mutant magic. ••A•• needed a thief but then Gambit and Rictor proceed to just jump in the underground area and blow everything up. This would've been a great time to show Rictor doing something new like carving a path to the chamber and Gambit going all King of Thieves infiltration.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    This is the first issue fo me that really shows the potential of this series. The bits with Betsy and Clan Akkaba were great and extremely interesting but the b-side story is really killing me. 4 issues in and we still don't know what mutant magic is. Haven't even seen a glimmer of it on page. We don't even know what these crystals are that ••A•• keeps pulling out and has Rictor and Gambit retrieve but they've been in every issue so far. This series would've benefited more from any of the magical X-characters saying something about magic has changed.

Also I'm getting the feeling Tini doesn't know what to do with Gambit and Jubilee. They just seem there and don't have much of a reason to be involved in mutant magic. ••A•• needed a thief but then Gambit and Rictor proceed to just jump in the underground area and blow everything up. This would've been a great time to show Rictor doing something new like carving a path to the chamber and Gambit going all King of Thieves infiltration.
    I think the stones are the bones of death mutants. they are still infused by their powers , that is why [A] the twins that he let to die. He wants to use their bones .

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    I think the stones are the bones of death mutants. they are still infused by their powers , that is why [A] the twins that he let to die. He wants to use their bones .
    Well yeah we just learned that about the ones in this issue but he's been "using" them since the first though we don't know what he's been using them for exactly.

Damn the art was good in this one. I really liked this chapter. In some places it looks a bit...rushed, I guess? But this issue was nice for me.

Gambit the useless and incompetent thief. Goes to steal something with zero stealth, steals the wrong item, gets discovered fairly easily and then Mr. Enhanced Agility slips and falls.

SMH!
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Didnt Rictor accidently use his power on him? I dont think it was just a slip and fall.

The art was soooo good.

Rictor's presence really enhanced my enjoyment (plus he looks hot AF now), and of course Rogue waking up was great. First time things seem to be advancing. But I still feel like the book has a severe pacing issue. I'm also trying really hard to stay interested in this Otherworld bizz plot. Plus Tini's Gambit really is awful. He has no charm, just an obvious rebellious flair. And that, without the charm, is a bore.

C'mon, Rogue. Counting on you.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Didnt Rictor accidently use his power on him? I dont think it was just a slip and fall.
    He was falling before Rictor intervened. One of the Druids attacked him which of course Gambit was incapable of fending off.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Damn, did they really call Northern Irish people British?
    That is hugely ignorant, how the hell did that get past editors? People are going to be angry about that!

BANNED

Gambit and Wisdom could be a hell of a team-up but both characters are written as dull as possible and don’t interact.

BANNED

At least Betsy sounded good. Everything else,,, should really be better than it actually was? Gambit & Rictor where is the homoeroticism? When was Gambit worshipped? I missed that. Jubilee and Meggan? Im pretty sure have never interacted. How did Meggan even go through the gate with no authorization? Jamie wanting to take care of her could have been a good villain moment but undercut by Jubilee having nothing to do there in the first place.

Bring on Rogue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    At least Betsy sounded good. Everything else,,, should really be better than it actually was? Gambit & Rictor where is the homoeroticism? When was Gambit worshipped? I missed that. Jubilee and Meggan? Im pretty sure have never interacted. How did Meggan even go through the gate with no authorization? Jamie wanting to take care of her could have been a good villain moment but undercut by Jubilee having nothing to do there in the first place.

Bring on Rogue.
    Meggan doesnt need authorization, she is a mutant after all.

One step closer to mutant magic finally being free!
    I like that the Druids were holding onto the crystals and how they wanted Ric to join their ranks.

Tini is continuing to move the story forward in places. Betsy putting on a brave face and finally declaring she's Captain Britain was nice to see. Can't wait to see how she handles all these dueling responsibilities (Otherworld/Britain/Krakoa) and how she rises above. Clan Akkaba is super interesting and I'm interested in Apocalypse coming face to face with them again. Rogue is awake! I wonder if she'll be the one to get some magic abilities?

Jubilee's presence still sticks out like a sore thumb as she really doesn't have a point other than just the tagalong. Which I guess every group has one but still. Her spot could've gone to someone with some type of magic affiliation like Pixie. Who would have made even more sense to help usher in the age of mutant magic.