Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Last edited by jmc247; 03-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I think that in X-Factor Pietro was pretty much considered a villain, but my main point is the "message" that those comics left me, in Pietro case was about accepting his responsibilities, don't taking shortcuts, accepting that sometimes just apologizing isn't enough, that no matter how much harm you have done you should always kept trying. He understood that he had screwed big time and he can't just expect quick forgiveness but he had to kept trying to be a better person and learn for those mistakes. Without the support of family and friends (who were undertably upset and took distances) he had to make a bit of autocratic and even when he could have used the quick exit of blaming the Skrulls at the end he takes full responsibility and does not expect forgiveness but accept that he has to earn again the trust he lost. I found it as a nice lesson about falling (and falling and falling) and kept trying.

Wanda was quite the opposite, she got a quick exit blaming Doom, Pietro and Magneto, his sons and friends support her attitude and her reputation was never tarnished. I personally found "Children crusade" very disappointing because it shows that Wanda has been shielded about the consequences of her actions and those who are angry are portrayed as whiny complainers. The fact that other representations of her like AvX, Uncanny Avengers and X-force and all new X-men shows her annoyed (more than remorseful) when someone takes the matter in consideration, just reinforcement that point, and she kidnapping all the mutants in the world (Uncanny) and being the key factor to Axis shows that she really never learned anything because she never had to.

Just a single one shot similar to "The quick and the death" showing her doing some introspection and trying to avoid more mistakes (and even accepting her own fault in previous ones instead of blaming others) could have done the character lot more sympathetic.

So it's not that much about how many comics she has been in (since by this point she has been in far more than Pietro and even had her own run) but more about how the writers had handled her. The amount of guilt and consequences both brother shared, seems pretty unbalanced, when Pietro is still building some trust and regarded as a psycho (even for Wanda herself) but Wanda is supposed to be the all loving hero who was the victim of the situation and keeps being molested for rude complainers.
    Redemption stories only work if the character's actions came from character flaws, because the narrative is driven by the character working on said flaws and trying improve themselves. What would Wanda be trying to "fix"? Going crazy? Getting possessed? This is why attempts to "redeem" her by focusing on what she did have proven futile. She can apologize and mope around like a kicked puppy for a 100 issues (which is basically all they had her do for quite a while), but it will never be perceived as sincere or satisfactory because there is no character growth.

The only way to salvage this mess is write Wanda as if none of this ever happened. A new defining story would also help a great deal.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I commissioned this from j-likes-to-draw.

Wanda was considered for inclusion, but I decided not to add her because she didn't fit the all-green theme. Plus this helps to emphasize how long Lorna and Jean have known each other, and the closeness they originally had and should still have today.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Not questioning your decision to include Jean, but the red head that comes to my mind first, when thinking about St Pat's Day, is Siryn.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    Not questioning your decision to include Jean, but the red head that comes to my mind first, when thinking about St Pat's Day, is Siryn.
    Understandable. I hadn't thought of her at all, but if I had I think I would've stuck with Jean anyway. Of the two redheads, I'm more eager to see Lorna spend time with Jean. Decades worth of lost time and opportunities, and a connection from way back around the start of the franchise that Marvel never acknowledges.

Talking about other redheads though, I was concerned about people potentially mistaking Jean for other redheads. That's why the headgear is on the counter. It didn't look right with them wearing it and the art style, so this was a way to try to at least signal who they are a bit.

I have an idea including Wanda in a future commission. Perhaps expanding to the core four, but it all depends on if it fits the commission concept and feels right.

Edit: Though since we're talking about redheads, I've been intrigued by Shamrock.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-17-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

In 2006 Magneto in the Last Stand................; in 2019 today Polaris

A Sisterhood pitch to Marvel with Lorna last year? Sounds intriguing.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I commissioned this from j-likes-to-draw.

Wanda was considered for inclusion, but I decided not to add her because she didn't fit the all-green theme. Plus this helps to emphasize how long Lorna and Jean have known each other, and the closeness they originally had and should still have today.
    Pfft. You should have included the original Green Wanda from her first cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Pfft. You should have included the original Green Wanda from her first cover.
    It's an idea I thought of! But because 1) Lorna didn't have a connection with Wanda way back then, 2) the color scheme thing was a one-off error, and 3) it would've cost me more to add her, I opted to stick to Lorna and Jean.

If I have the funds when it rolls around, Wanda will get her time with Lorna.

The sisterhood pitch concept is an interesting one. And if either that doesn't happen, or Marvel doesn't do something equal/better with Lorna in the near future, I'm going to take Marvel not jumping on it as further proof that they're deliberately holding her back. Saved for my future references.

today dinner cast gifted together

THE GIFTED’S EMMA DUMONT: EXCLUSIVE​ ​INTERVIEW

Named one of fall TV’s breakout stars by IndieWire, Emma has quickly become known for the powerful characters she brings to life on screen. Just wrapping up the second season of “The Gifted,” Emma shines as Polaris, daughter to X-Men character Magneto. The series, based on Marvel Comics’ X-Men, is set in an alternate timeline where the X-Men have disappeared.

We caught up with Emma to talk about what it’s like being a part of the X-Men world and playing Polaris as she dishes on her favorite spots in Atlanta!

Photography: Jeff Walton

Styling: Vivian LC Style

HMU: Grace Armas

LM: Season two is concluded how do you feel about how Polaris has developed from Season 1 to now?

ED: Lorna has definitely gone through a lot of changes from season 1 to season 2. Coming into season 2 it was almost like playing an entirely new character for me. Last year Polaris was a total badass. She didn’t take advice from anyone and really was a fierce political warrior. This year she is much different. Lorna is now scared and passive, which is not what I went into this season thinking she would be. I got reminded many times by directors and writers that I have to play her more anxious and weak. It was not fun playing my girl like this because I love her and never want her to be like that.

LM: What does it take for you to transition into Polaris both physically and mentally?

ED: Mentally it doesn’t take a whole lot for me to turn into Polaris. We kind of think the same and we definitely have the same opinions about bigots. I did have some trouble in season 2 when she became a sad, weak, passive mom. There was a definite learning curve, but eventually, I got it. Physically though it takes a lot. Every day I spend 2 hours in hair and makeup, not counting the hours and hours of prep work Charles Yusko (our hair designer) spends on my wigs. Once I get to set it takes a few people and about 30 minutes to get buckled into my Polaris corset, knife holster, and thigh-high boots. After this maybe another 20-30 minutes to get on and perfect the headpiece and I’m off and running. I definitely have the most specialty pieces to put on, on set so I always like to head over a little early. Also, shout out to my girl Elizabeth who has had to tight-lace me outside in the 10-degree freezing cold on multiple occasions.

LM: Were you an X-Men fan before The Gifted? How has being a part the show changed you?

ED: Isn’t everyone an X-Men fan. I love Marvel. I love all of Marvel, but I love the X-Men because of what they stand for. It’s beyond this beautiful theory that “everyone can be a hero” and goes one step past that to address being a minority, prejudice, isolation and overall just feeling alone. I’ve always loved the X-Men for teaching me that it doesn’t matter if I’m different or weird because my true family is out there. There is a place for all of us.

LM: What is one thing you want people to know about Polaris and The Gifted?

ED: That she’s the best. JKJK. I just want people to know how special she is. Polaris is a true role model. She has strong core values, she never backs down from a fight, she is loyal and courageous and can admit when she is wrong. I love Polaris because she is someone I can look up to too. One of the interesting things about Lorna is that she has bipolar disorder and I like to think that this is both her most important trait and also her least important trait. Most important because it was very important to me to do as much research as possible before season 1 started. I wanted to play her accurately and fully understand her mind. Now, it’s the least important, because it has absolutely nothing to do with her story. People love telling me that they love Polaris because she can be a superhero DESPITE her mental illness and I always politely correct them that she doesn’t do anything despite her mental illness. We are not painting bipolar disorder as this negative, evil thing she has to battle. I like to compare her mental illness to her green eyes. It’s just a characteristic of Lorna, it 100% does not define her in any way.

http://lapalmemagazine.com/2019/03/t...0%8Binterview/
    Emma Dumont interview with La Palme Magazine.

I will say this.

Actors tend to be more in tune with who a character should be than the writers because unlike the writers, the actor has to "live" as that character and see the world through their eyes. If the actor is telling you you're doing something wrong, it's kinda sorta important to listen to them.

Also, all of my arguments about handling of character death equally apply to handling of characters in general. Treating characters poorly may be all the rage for Marvel's comics (which is going to be a huge problem in a few years if they don't course correct right now), but typical audiences don't like that.

BANNED

You could tell on instagram that Emma did not like Lorna being weaker so they could push the Struckers and Reeva more. It irritated her but she wasnt unprofessional about it. I wrote to her on Twitter about the flip flop from season 1 to season 2. It just makes my skin crawl how excellent season 1 ended for Lorna and she had to be pushed down to allow less interesting characters to get screen time.

In terms of Wanda I think the Dark Phoenix issue gets to the root of the idea while characters can be retconned from being responsible for something it doesn’t mean the best thematic option is to consider the issue resolved after that point.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.