Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Based on the solicits for the new titles Krakatoa is still an island home to mutants after the series so we might get a blending of different time lines. The one where Xavier and Magneto already knew everything is not 616 or else the history would have been quite different. I think Hickman wants to create a new x-line where everything seems possible, goes in radical new directions and doesn't feel like a rehash of 80s and 90s comics.

My view on the sales for House of X and Powers of X #1's was disappointing and probably a function of retailers being gun shy in orders of new #1's for x-comics because of so many line wide resets. The Fantastic Four #1 last year started off at nearly 400K so its about half that. I believe that if the retailers ordered that many it would have sold about that many for HoX and PoX. However, what is done and the real question is how many are retained. Its going to hurt the post reboot titles sales if the HoX/PoX doesn't end above 100K each.

Magneto so far is AWOL from the upcoming solicits. If they are planning on a new title with him and other characters seemingly without a home like Lorna the longer they wait after the reboot the more difficult it will be to take off because of the momentum factor. Right now I don’t believe the underlying sales problem plaguing the x-books the past two decades is gone even with some giving the line a second or third look.
    It's very nerve-wracking for me. I don't want to see X-Men continuity damaged or destroyed. I'm worried about Magneto. I wish we knew more about what is going on.

Magneto and Lorna are absent. I'm sure Magneto will reappear, maybe in the rotating team book. It would be nice if after the Summers Family, the Magnus Family is featured, but you'd have to pry Wanda and Pietro from Brevoort's cold, dead hand to restore their family connection and use them in an X-Book like that. I'm concerned about why the future Magneto is wearing green. I'm worried about Lorna. Is the green outfit a tribute to her because something happens to her?

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Your points are well taken. And I can't argue with you about the exact moment Xavier, Magneto, and Moira made their alliance because I don't really know and I hope all will be revealed by the end of October. But from my point of view, reading the original stories, it seems he totally abandoned the island, fleeing the fight with the X-Men and only returned because Asteroid M-2 was destroyed and he fell to the ocean. When Lee found him near death, he was still his old self, still defensive and hostile. To me, he just didn't seem like a man who had made a pact with Xavier and Moira MacTaggert to work together instead of apart for mutant supremacy. Again, this is just me, how I look at it--when the giant Xavier head appeared (right at the moment Magneto and Lee were getting intimate again), and summoned Magneto to be an ally, THAT is when it seems the pact had just been made, because I always thought, *Why would Magneto just jump to help Xavier at that point, right when he's found love and companionship with Lee Forrester?* (I know, real world, Marvel was doing Secret Wars and gathering the participant characters.) But in-universe, the way Magneto was like, *Anything you say, Charles, I'm on my way* seems now more like a man who has just made a pact with Xavier that overrides his personal desires. Otherwise, I don't see him obeying Xavier like that and abandoning his personal happiness.
    I agree with you, that scene with Lee, Charles and Magneto was the one that convinced me the alliance could indeed be normal marvel continuity I just had a problem with where did it happen because as you said he was on Asteroid M remembering his story with Magda and then he was with Lee so I thought that the alliance and seeing his personal failures could have been the catalyst for him to take a harder look into his past, "his human life", his relationship with Magda and later give a chance to a life with Lee and once that was done he went back into mutant leader mode, to help Charles and the X-men but this time letting charles take the lead. The retcon isnīt necessary but it gives a nice context to that time in Magneto, Charles and Moira life imo and it gives a stronger reason for Magnetoīs reaction to Moiraīs betrayal in Mutant Genesis, it just isnīt the same being betrayed by your friendīs colleague than being betrayed by someone you personally respected and trusted enough to ask for advice and who took care of you when you could not do so yourself.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, and who knows what the timelines will do or what is going on. It's a tricky plot device, reliving lives, or time travel, where characters know everything that's going to happen. Especially if you're plugging this in to 50+ years of ongoing stories; there's going to be a lot of conflict and times when nothing makes any sense.
    Agreed but that is Hickman for you , his stories make more sense at the end after everything has been explained, he is a slow burn kind of writer in my experience but most time itīs worth it imo, if you have not read it I recommend Hickmanīs FF4 , Secret Wars or his New Avengers if you want to know more of his style. I donīt know what are his plans for the X-men but agree that they needed a shake up and reintroduction in the main MU once the decimation period was over and Hickman at least is nice enough to put order in the toy box after heīs done. After seeing his wave 1, 2 and 3 plans I think heīs thinking of his run in the X-men as a first act, second act and third act story, HOX/POX are just the introduction for the first act imo we will see more actual X-men adventures and character interactions in X-men.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-17-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Cross-post.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

Goth style versions of Polaris and Scarlet Witch at Flamecon. Flamecon's a comic convention for queer fans. Cosplayers are imagineeri and choxani.

Cosplay by Ciana Parker (Scarlet Witch) and alyss_of_heartz (Polaris). Description includes the word "sisterhood."

Another set of pictures by yhasyme. Exact quote: "Cannot express how amazing it feels to be these queens."

It's been 5 years since 616 Lorna and Wanda got to do anything together. It's been 4 years since any versions of them have been able to interact. In spite of that, the love for their dynamics (and potential future dynamics) as sisters remains strong as ever. Something about the duo as sisters resonates deeply with many women. If Marvel continues to ignore it when the retcon is undone, or worse tries to replace it with something else, they have only themselves to blame for missing out.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Cross-post.
    Not sure that person wants to call themselves Choxani. Depending on the lore, it's not the kind of witch Wanda is, but an evil spirit that can at times bring death to Romani (especially ones that stray from Romanipe).
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Not sure that person wants to call themselves Choxani. Depending on the lore, it's not the kind of witch Wanda is, but an evil spirit that can at times bring death to Romani (especially ones that stray from Romanipe).
    I don't know the origin of that person choosing to use that handle is, in this case. I could see arguments for transforming its meaning or using certain aspects, but in all honesty I'm not well-versed in Romani culture. So I don't know how viable or appropriate (or inappropriate) that would be. Plus not knowing the person, there may be a more personal reason behind it.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I don't know the origin of that person choosing to use that handle is, in this case. I could see arguments for transforming its meaning or using certain aspects, but in all honesty I'm not well-versed in Romani culture. So I don't know how viable or appropriate (or inappropriate) that would be. Plus not knowing the person, there may be a more personal reason behind it.
    Maybe they want to be a spirit that gives bad omens and can latch onto your household and family and cause bad **** to happen, lol. I don't think it's personal, because no Romani would call themselves that. It's likely they looked up the word and think it means witch. And in some lore it has been a type of witch, but just not what western culture thinks that is.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Magneto increasingly appearing in Marvel games. Wanda as well, followed by Quicksilver.

Maybe the rumor that marvel is doing a new Magneto family event is true, in which the retcon is hopefully going to be undone but I hope this time they make it about the whole family including Lorna, Luna, Billy and Tommy this family brings together the X-men, Avengers, Inhumans and Young Avengers and I donīt know why marvel doesnīt seem to see the potential in that.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

AiPT!: You’ve done so many X-Men projects–both covers and interiors. Do you have a favorite?

Arthur Adams: I think the one I like best is the Steranko ripoff I did for X-Men Blue–the one with Polaris on the cover. I remember enjoying doing the Classic X-Men covers. I wished I’d kept doing them, I wish I hadn’t stopped. They got some really good guys on them–like Adam Hughes did them for awhile–they had some real nice ones, but I kind of wished I’d kept doing them a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Maybe the rumor that marvel is doing a new Magneto family event is true, in which the retcon is hopefully going to be undone but I hope this time they make it about the whole family including Lorna, Luna, Billy and Tommy this family brings together the X-men, Avengers, Inhumans and Young Avengers and I donīt know why marvel doesnīt seem to see the potential in that.
    I think Marvel not seeing the potential in the whole family (vs just Wanda, Pietro and Magneto) comes from lack of willingness to see outside themselves and question biases they've built up over decades. If they looked at the actual fandom, they'd see a cash cow waiting to be milked, and countless amazing stories waiting to be told.

I'm also not entirely sure Marvel understands the characters, and therefore doesn't understand how they would interact. As much as I loved Lorna's treatment in Secret Wars: House of M, Pietro's treatment was pretty bad when they could've easily had Pietro playing Namor the whole time. Marvel just in general seems to need to learn that writing one character well doesn't mean they need to ignore another character or throw them under the bus.

It depends on the writer of course but I think that itīs not so much marvel not knowing how to write them, itīs the fact that Magnetoīs family is seen at best as an antagonist family, becassically all their family meetings involved one of the members being unstable or causing trouble, House of M had all of them like this, Pietro was made a villain so the rest of the family could fight him and if isnīt Pietro itīs Magneto vs Pietro, Lorna and Wanda while Lorna and Wanda are despicted as vulnerable or out of control women who canīt control their powers.

Marvel seems to believe they canīt ever be united under one cause for fair reasons or have constructive conversations, there are exceptions of course Cullen Bunn did well enough for Lorna and Magnetoīs relationship and Childrenīs crusade did something similar with Magneto, Wanda and Pietro even if it felt forced at times , but marvel has this idea that their past precludes them of ever being supporting of each other or work on their issues in a healthy way imo if marvel indeed wants to do something new and different with them it would be nice to see them united under one cause for once while dealing with their past in a less self destructive manner, that actually would be a new take on them as a family.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-19-2019 at 12:47 PM.

It depends on the writer of course but I think that itīs not so much marvel not knowing how to write them, itīs the fact that Magnetoīs family is seen at best as an antagonist family, becassically all their family meetings involved one of the members being unstable or causing trouble, House of M had all of them like this, Pietro was made a villain so the rest of the family could fight him and if isnīt Pietro itīs Magneto vs Pietro, Lorna and Wanda while Lorna and Wanda are despicted as vulnerable or out of control women who canīt control their powers.
    House of M at least for Pietro made him the biggest antagonist and the most directly responsible for the events, but also he was entirely in character and highly sympathetic. What matters is they are in character and sympathetic if they are not exactly doing something nice.

SW HoM kind of lowered the IQ’s of both Pietro and Magneto by 40 points which was my problem with the mini. Black Panther HoM had Pietro and Magneto not particularly saintly machiavellian political leaders, but far from dumb.

They can do a Game of Thrones like plot while keeping them all in character.

Marvel seems to believe they canīt ever be united under one cause for fair reasons or have constructive conversations, there are exceptions of course Cullen Bunn did well enough for Lorna and Magnetoīs relationship and Childrenīs crusade did something similar with Magneto, Wanda and Pietro even if it felt forced at times , but marvel has this idea that their past precludes them of ever being supporting of each other or work on their issues in a healthy way imo if marvel indeed wants to do something new and different with them it would be nice to see them united under one cause for once while dealing with their past in a less self destructive manner, that actually would be a new take on them as a family.
    Bunn got some of the important emotional beats with Lorna and Magneto right, but he totally divorced broader questions from it. So if he was debating doing something be it going after the Hellfire Club or taking the gloves off with Emma and co. it was with Briar not Lorna. If Magneto wanted to talk about Genosha (and he did) it happened with Briar and Xorn. Things were kept light between Lorna and Magneto from ‘15-18 let us just say.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    House of M at least for Pietro made him the biggest antagonist and the most directly responsible for the events, but also he was entirely in character and highly sympathetic. What matters is they are in character and sympathetic if they are not exactly doing something nice.
    Agreed

SW HoM kind of lowered the IQ’s of both Pietro and Magneto by 40 points which was my problem with the mini. Black Panther HoM had Pietro and Magneto not particularly saintly machiavellian political leaders, but far from dumb.
    Agreed I also had the same problem but I also think that a story of them united as a family instead of fighting between each other would be a nice change.

They can do a Game of Thrones like plot while keeping them all in character.
    Yes but they need a rival family as a foil for this to work better, not each other, the inhumans could be a good option imo

Bunn got some of the important emotional beats with Lorna and Magneto right, but he totally divorced broader questions from it. So if he was debating doing something be it going after the Hellfire Club or taking the gloves off with Emma and co. it was with Briar not Lorna. If Magneto wanted to talk about Genosha (and he did) it happened with Briar and Xorn. Things were kept light between Lorna and Magneto from ‘15-18 let us just say.
    Agreed the reason I saw for this is that Bunn wanted to keep Lorna as a combative(independent) character who doesnīt fully trust Magneto and itīs there because she has to keep an eye on him, similar to how Wanda didnīt want to see Pietro in her solo series, imo this is hardly the basis for a deeper relationship between them be it as father and daughter or otherwise, while Briar and Xorn were presented as actual partners who can discuss with Magneto or even criticize his choices without the problem of their relationship being in danger, so the character allowed himself to be more vulnerable around them and talk about Genosha with them. This is what I mean about the need for this family to have more lest say "mature and emotionally healthy" conversations to advance as individual characters and no more of this "I donīt trust you daddy you are evil" type of relationship Pietro, Lorna and Wanda often fall into when they interact with Magneto.

BANNED

Agreed

Agreed I also had the same problem but I also think that a story of them united as a family instead of fighting between each other would be a nice change.

Yes but they need a rival family as a foil for this to work better, not each other, the inhumans could be a good option imo

Agreed the reason I saw for this is that Bunn wanted to keep Lorna as a combative(independent) character who doesnīt fully trust Magneto and itīs there because she has to keep an eye on him, similar to how Wanda didnīt want to see Pietro in her solo series, imo this is hardly the basis for a deeper relationship between them be it as father and daughter or otherwise, while Briar and Xorn were presented as actual partners who can discuss with Magneto or even criticize his choices without the problem of their relationship being in danger, so the character allowed himself to be more vulnerable around them and talk about Genosha with them. This is what I mean about the need for this family to have more lest say "mature and emotionally healthy" conversations to advance as individual characters and no more of this "I donīt trust you daddy you are evil" type of relationship Pietro, Lorna and Wanda often fall into when they interact with Magneto.
    After Crusade and Wanda was whole again, it was set up for them to be united again...of course they made sure Luna and Lorna was still missing but that should of SPUN OFF in either a House of M book or a Wanda series that involved the entire family after the Doom spin to get her off the hook and her not being able to spend time with the Avengers. It was there..for the taking.

Hickman is slick though...you can tell he likes writing Magneto..will be get away from that goofy Summers push in the main book and to the more interesting Royal mutant family. I also think its LONG PAST TIME to push Luna hard..they keep pushing Valeria..Kamala and Miles for their book..they gave Hope some shine...the granddaughter of Magneto should not be MIA like this. Its preposterous.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Hickman did say that Magneto was one of his top fave mutants, but completely forgot Luna existed.

12AC78DD-4EAF-4A55-AA0C-26497AF32098.jpg

I still find it utterly ridiculous that Luna, Crystal, and Pietro weren’t front and center for IvX and the entire terrigen crisis.