Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    [video=youtube;0a39G88IjOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=0a39G88IjOs[/vieo]
    bad@ss as always. shame they never did that solo movie.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    In other news, since this is the Magnus family thread, there's a claim spreading that Marvel Studios is planning to make Prof X and Magneto into PoC for the X-Men film reboot.

This would fit pretty well on the Magneto family end. There's been an increasing number of people who fanon the family as black and draw fanart of it.

I commissioned bikenesmith earlier this year for multiple PoC (Polarises of Color; using the wordplay he came up with) of Lorna to further support this diversity.

There's most definitely a fanbase ready and eager for it on the Magneto side.
    If Magneto is a POC in the MCU, there is no way he can be the father of Pietro and Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    If Magneto is a POC in the MCU, there is no way he can be the father of Pietro and Wanda.
    I see actually two ways that Magneto could be a PoC and be their father.

1) Recast Wanda and Pietro. I've seen a fair number of complaints that the MCU whitewashed them via casting, even without Magneto as their father.
    2) Their mother was white. This is far, far more problematic - possibly not doable. But it's technically an option. At that point, Wanda and Pietro would be white-passing.

Saying they're white due to reality warping would obviously be offensively wrong and therefore not an option.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    A POC Magneto in the MCU is one of the few things that would destroy the Magnus family and the purpose of this thread long term as other media (animated, games, etc.) adopt the new Magneto. In the end Magneto without the Holocaust backstory is always going to fall into Killmonger or Ultimate Magneto territory.

This would be the one thing that would probably smash the Magnus family in ways that will take decades not years to fix as in the retcon won't be coming down until the MCU is done with him. I understand the MCU's desire to try things radically new with the X-Men after the problems of the last two x-films really damaged the franchise. But, Magneto and his background were two of the few things actually working. Much of the rest of the recent X-Men's either failed or fell flat.

I understand the desire of groups to want to see themselves represented in pre-existing characters, but this one would create unnecessary problems for both Magneto who happens to be one of Marvel's most interesting characters and his entire family which I want to see back together in years in not decades.

If I were in charge of the MCU I would bypass the Xavier/Magneto feud entirely to start off with as Morrison did. That would make the films different then the Fox MCU. Have the next generation fighting things out and finding their way and then down the road perhaps introduce Xavier and Magneto.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Quick note. Not really with much time spent researching, or in "making a case" or anything. In the Wikipedia article for persecution of black people in Nazi Germany:

In Mein Kampf, Hitler described children resulting from marriages to African occupation soldiers as a contamination of the white race "by Negro blood on the Rhine in the heart of Europe." He thought that "Jews were responsible for bringing Negroes into the Rhineland, with the ultimate idea of bastardizing the white race which they hate and thus lowering its cultural and political level so that the Jew might dominate."
    With this in mind, Magneto could be a black Jewish man. Mixed race.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Nazi policy towards blacks was an interesting case pretty simiar to Mississippi at the time if one wants to actually read about it at the link. You could still fight in the German Army, but some things were restricted such as being allowed in the Hitler Youth. Some poor blacks were sterilized though it wasn't uniformly practiced across Germany.

But, to be honest the only way I could imagine them changing his race is if they change his whole background. I don't see them leaving his connection to WW2 in tact in such an instance.

That being said count me in as I said as a fan if Marvel wants to do things wildly differently then the Fox X-Men of straight up moving away from Magneto and Xavier being the poles of the X-Men universe as occurred in the Morrison/Austen era. Keep Magneto and Xavier as symbols, but move the day to day leadership of mutants to the next generation.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I don't know that the MCU Magneto casting will have that much impact on whether the retcon is undone in the comics, because I don't think there was ever really a chance that the Maximoffs would be Magneto's children in the MCU. The whole reason they got into the MCU is that Joss Whedon felt - rightly in my opinion - that Wanda and Pietro (but Wanda in particular) didn't need to be Magneto's children, and it was worth using them even in a universe where the X-Men and Magneto didn't yet exist.

Now that they have TV/movie plans for Wanda, which were made before they knew for certain that they'd even have the X-Men, I think the theories that she will become Magneto's daughter are about as plausible as the theories that she will single-handedly create mutants.

So the calculus for the comics is pretty much what it has always been. If the current management thinks the Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/and sometimes Polaris family is worth reviving, they will revive it. Since Cebulski only seems to care about the X-Men, and Wanda and Pietro have been absent from all comics for months, I find it plausible to believe that they are at least considering some kind of story that revives the family ties. I have my problems with that but I think there was zero chance yesterday that the family would exist in the MCU, and there is no more or less chance today.

Now, would the comics management be stupid enough to replace their Magneto with one who looks more like the MCU Magneto, the way they did with Nick Fury? Possibly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Personally I don't know that the MCU Magneto casting will have that much impact on whether the retcon is undone in the comics, because I don't think there was ever really a chance that the Maximoffs would be Magneto's children in the MCU. The whole reason they got into the MCU is that Joss Whedon felt - rightly in my opinion - that Wanda and Pietro (but Wanda in particular) didn't need to be Magneto's children, and it was worth using them even in a universe where the X-Men and Magneto didn't yet exist.

Now that they have TV/movie plans for Wanda, which were made before they knew for certain that they'd even have the X-Men, I think the theories that she will become Magneto's daughter are about as plausible as the theories that she will single-handedly create mutants.

So the calculus for the comics is pretty much what it has always been. If the current management thinks the Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch/and sometimes Polaris family is worth reviving, they will revive it. Since Cebulski only seems to care about the X-Men, and Wanda and Pietro have been absent from all comics for months, I find it plausible to believe that they are at least considering some kind of story that revives the family ties. I have my problems with that but I think there was zero chance yesterday that the family would exist in the MCU, and there is no more or less chance today.

Now, would the comics management be stupid enough to replace their Magneto with one who looks more like the MCU Magneto, the way they did with Nick Fury? Possibly.
    If Magneto shows up in MCU and we all know he's the biggest A lister from the Fox deal besides Wolverine(Doom, FF, Silver Surfer, Galactus have never sold what Magneto stories have), he will be face to face with Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    If Magneto shows up in MCU and we all know he's the biggest A lister from the Fox deal besides Wolverine(Doom, FF, Silver Surfer, Galactus have never sold what Magneto stories have), he will be face to face with Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch.
    Maybe. But why would they go to the trouble of making her into his daughter, via a complicated explanation that would just eat up a lot of valuable screen time, confuse audiences and possibly detract from both characters?

The whole reason Wanda is in the MCU is because Feige & co. decided she didn't need to be Magneto's daughter. Bringing Magneto in doesn't change that at all. They're still a franchise that likes simple origin stories, not massively complicated parentage retcons like in the comics.

Again, this has nothing to do with whether the Maximoffs should be his children again in the comics. Or should have nothing to do with it, anyway. I just don't think fans of the parentage should look to the MCU to save it. That will have to be the comics' job.

Dawn of X video with what looks like quite the statue of Magneto or something strange.

Since DoX has come up, I wouldn't be surprised if the coming appearance of Lorna is something like saying she's a Magneto clone, or that she died on Genosha and the current her is a clone, or some such.

Not a prediction. Simply a remark as to the sort of "twists" I expect pulled at Marvel.

Ya'll think I would write some X-Men and NOT touch Magneto?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bryanedwa...47473526501379
    The writer of Fallen Angels. It seems like a very interesting story.

The POV of the writer on Magneto.

In many ways, the X-MEN films have been focused on proving Magneto is wrong. Obsessed with it. I don’t always think Magneto is wrong, lol.

The X-MEN films are frightened of an honest depiction of Magneto’s POV, so they render him into a traumatized madman for fear of justifying militancy. They make him an angry child with power.

Magneto is constantly led down a path where he would deny his power in the face of people that want to destroy him and anyone like him. The truth is no one would listen to Charles if they didn’t fear Erik.

What oppressive systems fear isn’t those that want to change their minds. That retains their power. Oppressors fear the moment the oppressed realize their minds WON’T change. “Hope” for progress is their first weapon against revolution. Magneto accepts what they are.

Magneto looks into the eyes of his oppressors and says “I know what you think of me and my kind. And I know it will not change.” And THAT’s when Xavier’s phone starts ringing with systemic desires of “mutual agreement and peace.” LOL. The films won’t engage that.

https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/...160070656?s=21
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-16-2019 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Maybe. But why would they go to the trouble of making her into his daughter, via a complicated explanation that would just eat up a lot of valuable screen time, confuse audiences and possibly detract from both characters?

The whole reason Wanda is in the MCU is because Feige & co. decided she didn't need to be Magneto's daughter. Bringing Magneto in doesn't change that at all. They're still a franchise that likes simple origin stories, not massively complicated parentage retcons like in the comics.

Again, this has nothing to do with whether the Maximoffs should be his children again in the comics. Or should have nothing to do with it, anyway. I just don't think fans of the parentage should look to the MCU to save it. That will have to be the comics' job.
    Actually that's not why Feige decided her to be in the MCU. They were just too lazy to get the X men rights and pushed Wanda regardless, which is OK because she has tons of history but it's a mockery of her character that she's not Magneto's daughter because she always has been in every other media appearance..Fox, Evolution, WATX. It's a joke. It's a sham that her and Vision is anywhere near as pushed as her connection to Magneto...its as laughable as the recent Thanos saga with no Silver Surfer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Actually that's not why Feige decided her to be in the MCU. They were just too lazy to get the X men rights and pushed Wanda regardless, which is OK because she has tons of history but it's a mockery of her character that she's not Magneto's daughter because she always has been in every other media appearance..Fox, Evolution, WATX. It's a joke. It's a sham that her and Vision is anywhere near as pushed as her connection to Magneto...its as laughable as the recent Thanos saga with no Silver Surfer.
    Way to downplay the worth of a character. Lazy? More like impossible back then, and honestly it's then or never, AoU is the opportunity for her before Avengers brand cools down. And so that she won't be yet another sorry X-Men supporting character.
    THIS attitude is why some people just don't want to be in this family. I want none of your superiority BS thanks.
    You know what? MCU Wanda is one of the most accurate depictions to date simply because she get to be an Avenger and has one of her classic relationships brought to more public notions.
    Vision is actually a defining relationship for her, while Magneto is an overrated tag.
    Tell why aren't Island Princess and emo goth teen Wandas mockery? Every other media, you mean animation and another animation?