Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast

See, I don't want her there, because it's just too toxic. And I'd like for them to explore her ties with Chthon more. Pietro I feel differently about. Because a good portion of his ties were mutant. But he can be mutant and Wanda not. There's no reason why that can't be.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Amazing Member

There is something I don't get about this whole retcon (which is total crap), and maybe I missed it: if Magneto didn't father the Maximoff twins, what happened to the children Magda was pregnant with? Did they ever explain this? Or how in every other parallel dimension, Magneto is their father? Please explain.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    See, I don't want her there, because it's just too toxic. And I'd like for them to explore her ties with Chthon more. Pietro I feel differently about. Because a good portion of his ties were mutant. But he can be mutant and Wanda not. There's no reason why that can't be.
    Um it'd be really weird though for him to be one and her not

Plus I just don't like denying her original canon , she is a mutant period, her ability is to produce hexes which are negative probability outcomes for her opponents (inverse powerset of Domino). That is who/what Wanda is in my mind, and all this magic stuff to me is peripheral and pointless noise that I hope can at some day be rendered more sidelined. At least for a while. I mean, we do have Ilyanna sort of doing "magic" and now we even have Apocalypse doing it too, so I guess Wanda can still keep her magic aspect but still be a mutant as well.

As far as "toxic" that's just a big chunk of the hardcore X-fandom but they'll learn to live with her and get over it eventually, as long as the writing is good and she isn't insulting mutants again etc

Although now that I think about it, there would probably inevitably be a lot of in-universe hostility against her but to me that would be part of the excitement or drama of it. Maybe Wanda *would* stay haughty or feel superior to most mutants, even while she is helping to fix her mistake in the past by repowering and by working alongside them. She could sort of be portrayed similar to how Emma Frost was when she was first warming up to the X-Men, kind of like "Why are you booing me? I'm right" type of attitude
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 11-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydiaz81 View Post
    There is something I don't get about this whole retcon (which is total crap), and maybe I missed it: if Magneto didn't father the Maximoff twins, what happened to the children Magda was pregnant with? Did they ever explain this? Or how in every other parallel dimension, Magneto is their father? Please explain.
    Hardly anyone seems to try to explain these things any more, but the only thing that makes sense is that Bova lied and Magda was never pregnant, because that's what cows do. Don't trust cows. Anti-cowism is the only racism that is justified in the Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

Plus I just don't like denying her original canon , she is a mutant period, her ability is to produce hexes which are negative probability outcomes for her opponents (inverse powerset of Domino). That is who/what Wanda is in my mind, and all this magic stuff to me is peripheral and pointless noise that I hope can at some day be rendered more sidelined. At least for a while. I mean, we do have Ilyanna sort of doing "magic" and now we even have Apocalypse doing it too, so I guess Wanda can still keep her magic aspect but still be a mutant as well.
    If the X-line had any interest in using the twins (which I still doubt they ever will) it could be an interesting story to just accept the retcon and then conclude they are mutants anyway. According to the retcon, the High Evolutionary "disguised" them as mutants when they were babies, and they've been mutants in every possible way since then, so exactly what does it matter whether they got the X-gene when they were conceived or just after they were born?
    Last edited by gurkle; 11-04-2019 at 06:03 PM.

As far as "toxic" that's just a big chunk of the hardcore X-fandom but they'll learn to live with her and get over it eventually, as long as the writing is good and she isn't insulting mutants again etc

Although now that I think about it, there would probably inevitably be a lot of in-universe hostility against her but to me that would be part of the excitement or drama of it. Maybe Wanda *would* stay haughty or feel superior to most mutants, even while she is helping to fix her mistake in the past by repowering and by working alongside them. She could sort of be portrayed similar to how Emma Frost was when she was first warming up to the X-Men, kind of like "Why are you booing me? I'm right" type of attitude
    Her probability altering powers were replaced by chaos magic long ago. About 44 years ago. They then had Agatha state that if she were only a mutant, she'd only have energy powers.

No they won't, nor should they. Marvel botched a redemption arc for Wanda. And seems to have no concern in fixing it. It would be forced at this point.

Part of the excitement of her being punched and abused more? Tell me how this would be a fun read for any Wanda fan? It's better to have her not antagonize them. She was never like that anyway. She was sympathetic, not apathetic. That's new writer bs.

Extraordinary Member

I think Uncanny Avengers bungled the chance to examine the difference between Wanda, the Avengers' resident mutant, and the mutants associated with X-teams. It was all about No More Mutants this and No More Mutants that, because they knew it would get fans angry and angry fans buy more books.

What is really interesting is that Wanda, as one of the longest-serving Avengers, was probably the most publically popular mutant in the MU. That doesn't mean she's had it easy, because being a public figure means being a public target, like when her house was burned down in the great anti-mutant panic of the '80s (when Jim Shooter forced every comic to mention that mutant hatred was becoming a thing after "Dazzler: The Movie"). But it does mean she would have different ideas about what an evil-fighting mutant should be like and what is best for mutants.

None of this came through in that dumb speech about how the X-Men don't understand Xavier's dream or the even dumber speech where she became Remender's mouthpiece defending Havok's speech. And now I'm afraid it's too late because it's been so long since she was on the Avengers roster that she really isn't able to represent the Avengers POV, all she can do is wait to get in a comic at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydiaz81 View Post
    Magneto didn't know Madga was pregnant, and she wasn't. She ran away and was never seen again. The High Evolutionary invented the lie about Magda coming to Wundagore as a way of disguising the twins as mutants.

Marvel: 10 Times Quicksilver Was The Biggest Jerk In The Comics
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-qu...-biggest-jerk/

BANNED

Illyana is a major sorceress, the ruler of Limbo and was trained by Doctor Strange. She’s completely doing magic. As for the Scarlet Witch, Magic is a huge part of who she is. That cannot be taken away.

As for the twins paternity notice they didn’t have DNA tests confirm Magneto wasn’t the father. The story was deliberately left open ended.

Wanda’s book introduced a new witch mother and left her father unknown, still leaving it open for Magneto to be the father. Natalia and Madga could be the same person.

Astonishing Member

At the same time, does anyone really think Crystal or Medusa would have been above having it checked, if only to make sure Luna eventually going through Terrigenisis didn’t result in some unholy combo of Erik, Crystal and Wanda’s powers (which are probably bad to have in an enclosed environment on the moon)?

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Illyana is a major sorceress, the ruler of Limbo and was trained by Doctor Strange. She’s completely doing magic. As for the Scarlet Witch, Magic is a huge part of who she is. That cannot be taken away.

As for the twins paternity notice they didn’t have DNA tests confirm Magneto wasn’t the father. The story was deliberately left open ended.

Wanda’s book introduced a new witch mother and left her father unknown, still leaving it open for Magneto to be the father. Natalia and Madga could be the same person.
    They said in the book that her father murdered her mother though. I'm not sure Mags should be saddled with that. Unless they drop that he murdered her. Otherwise, make it someone like Chthon, who is already pretty evil. So no damage really done.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Going off that into a tangent, do you think if they do reveal Magda and Natalya is the same person, that they may bring her back permanently? I think it could be a really good story to reveal what her actual final fate was other than being fridged. I mean, she just decides to run into the night to die in the cold, but no body was never found? Or did Magneto somehow find her and kill her (which I can’t see happening, unless Max was possessed by Chthon like Generic Username suggests). Has Wanda ever tried to contact her spirit, to at least get some idea of what actually happened? Was she suffering from Postpartum depression, or was suicidal ideation something she struggled with after escaping Auschwitz? And what about Chthon specifically wanting her children as his vessels? Did she have untapped magical potential, or was she herself an unknowing scion of the Scarlet Witch/Warlock line?

It would be nice if Marvel would ever address any of this if and when they undo the retcon, but who can say? The twins have practically dropped off the face of the planet.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 11-08-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

What the twins need, but especially Wanda, is a big story tying up all their ridiculous contradictory history and makes sense of it the way Nights of Wundagore did. Wanda also needs a story to explain the timeline behind Avengers Disassembled/House of M and definitively say what happened. Instead they've just tried sweeping it all under the rug and piling retcon on retcon, and it's a total mess.

Marvel won't even let them appear in comics at all so we're probably not going to get a story like that even when they do reappear. But that's what they need.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

It would take a lot of plotting by a writer that really cares about the twins and what they are as twins and individual characters. Can you think of anyone that would be up for the job? It feels like most of the current writers favor one twin and definitely not the other.