Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Cause the twins are his children. Can't wait till that silly recon is undone.
    I thought this confirmed that the retcon was undone seeing he sees them as his children.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I thought this confirmed that the retcon was undone seeing he sees them as his children.
    I'd take it as further confirmation that Marvel is moving toward undoing the retcon, but they'd need to do something more than this to truly undo it. Like a storyline that explains away all the excuses that were used to claim they aren't family.

Technically they could also try to take the "we may not be biologically related but I still consider you my kid" route, but it wouldn't work very well.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Its not undone bc Wanda flat out says they arent blood in the scene. Magneto may see them as his children but biologically they arent and dont acknowledge him as such. Thats what needs to be changed. Cant really do family stories and utilize that dynamic when the characters arent in a place to recieve it

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'd take it as further confirmation that Marvel is moving toward undoing the retcon, but they'd need to do something more than this to truly undo it. Like a storyline that explains away all the excuses that were used to claim they aren't family.

Technically they could also try to take the "we may not be biologically related but I still consider you my kid" route, but it wouldn't work very well.
    yes this is valid especially your last point. with the merger soon to happen there isnt an excuse for marvel to self sabotage its xline any further so I'm hopeful this is a step towards undoing the retcon, if it is not an actual retcon.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

If the retcon is undone then Scarlet Witch should have more presence in the X-titles and allowed to be in an X-Men team. There is no point to being Magneto's daughter if she is never around. Also, they need to keep her new mother. Instead of backtracking, they should move forward in establishing Natalya and Magneto as having had a relationship years after Magda abandoned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    If the retcon is undone then Scarlet Witch should have more presence in the X-titles and allowed to be in an X-Men team. There is no point to being Magneto's daughter if she is never around. Also, they need to keep her new mother. Instead of backtracking, they should move forward in establishing Natalya and Magneto as having had a relationship years after Magda abandoned him.
    Wanda should never be an X-man. Making her Mags' daughter, doesnt mean she needs to be on the team. She can pop up periodically as relevant to him. Pietro however does need to finally join. He's come close a couple of times and has always been more of an X-character than her

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I agree with this, but I'd add that the X-books should really, really let Lorna and Wanda spend time together as sisters. That's been the biggest source of Magnus family interest for the whole past decade, and I think it would be incredibly short-sighted and ignorant of Marvel not to pursue it. There's a reason they tried to make Enchantress look more like Lorna on the Axis variant cover, tried to introduce a new "sister" named Luminous for the twins on Uncanny Avengers, and why All-New X-Factor #14 actually showed a sales increase despite being the second issue of a double-shipping month with its cover not released until the Friday before release.

My personal desire would be to see how Wanda's actions on M-Day affected Lorna's life. Lorna had just gone through the hell of Genosha's genocide, was left at the altar, already struggling with PTSD and mental health issues, and then she had her powers and mutant identity ripped from her when she needed them most. We know she took that last part especially hard since she first kept lying about still having her powers, then nearly got herself killed hoping it would bring her powers back. But I can also understand why some people would not want to see that addressed. And to be bluntly, objectively honest, the vast majority of people who have shown an interest in the sisters dynamic that I've seen haven't asked for that. They've been more interested in a close loving sisterly bond. But I feel good relationship dynamics in writing involve both highs and lows.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Give Magneto his kids back!
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 03-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.

My personal desire would be to see how Wanda's actions on M-Day affected Lorna's life. Lorna had just gone through the hell of Genosha's genocide, was left at the altar, already struggling with PTSD and mental health issues, and then she had her powers and mutant identity ripped from her when she needed them most. We know she took that last part especially hard since she first kept lying about still having her powers, then nearly got herself killed hoping it would bring her powers back. But I can also understand why some people would not want to see that addressed. And to be bluntly, objectively honest, the vast majority of people who have shown an interest in the sisters dynamic that I've seen haven't asked for that. They've been more interested in a close loving sisterly bond. But I feel good relationship dynamics in writing involve both highs and lows.
    I agree but I hardly dubout it will ever happen, seems that while chewing Pietro for his role in M-Day and all he did after it, was far play, calling out Wanda about hers is cruel and makes the complainer a resentefull hater. But yes I would love to see Lorna talking Wanda about how her actions affected her in a personal level and for once seeing Wanda taking responsibility instead the playing victim.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The recton was petty, and needless, so I'm glad to see it being ignored more and more. That said, I hope it doesn't lead to Lorna getting overshadowed or excluded. AU's do a good job with the family, but the main world has struggled with it when it comes to Polaris.

As for the whole M-Day thing, Lorna already brought that up briefly in All New X-Factor.

Polaris already had a bit of a grudge/resentment of Wanda, but it didn't seem to be a point of contention by the end of the issue, and both Wanda and Lorna seemed to leave things in a good place before the recton.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 03-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.

The retcon is coming down and soon. News organs that tend to precede what Marvel plans to be focusing on promoting House of M.

https://comicsverse.com/episode-106-house-of-m-marvel/

And, not just them Marvel.com and even major retailers promoting the Wanda, Pietro, Magneto family pack. But, unless Marvel figures out a way to include Lorna in the dynamic the character will fall between the cracks again as part of the family.

Lorna as Wanda's green haired soul sister with Lorna in full Jean lite format like some 90s fans want her depicted as really doesn't add anything to the characters. I have the feeling a mini series or something along those lines will be happening soon to fix the Axis retcon. If it directly deals with the big family events including Genosha and House of M then you have the perfect set of issues to integrate Lorna into the story (and the post Axis retcon) Magnus family. Lorna and Wanda need a set of issues that separate them from each other and cause conflict otherwise their relationship isn't going anywhere.

If Lorna isn't integrated well into the 'new family' after the retcon is fixed Lorna is back to where she was in 2006 to 2014 as a member of the family only on the book she is on and the occasional AU comic, but not recognized outside of that. I won't be back here again unless there is some big news to come, but fans need to think what kind of relationship between Lorna and Wanda they believe might interest Marvel and the public.

They also need to think what version of Lorna they actually want to see, because its well known here I hate most aspects of 90s Lorna and suddenly the 90s are in hard and I have been uninterested in the character in all the mediums she has been in over the past year so far.

For those making fan comics, fan art, fanfic, or just commenting and continuing to promote the character I applaud your efforts. But, for me I feel like the character has lost all connection to the things that made me enjoy reading her in the first place and that is a bad spot to be in.

Elsewise.

I hope Emma Dumont gets a chance to play Lorna again as she was an actor that really did her homework on the character and came to love her and understand why fans love the character. Few actors or actresses I have seen care so much they were willing to learn in depth her history and understand it or were willing to get into the comics as she did.

But, that said The Gifted Lorna is done for me. They smashed her beyond recognition of anything I am interested in watching and turned her into a more emotionally weak and outright cowardly version of 90s Lorna. I do think the show may have been thinking about some other path before being convinced otherwise by Marvel given the amazing outfit we never saw her wear and some of the shoots with it.

I didn't need her depicted as the head of the Hellfire Club or even outside the Underground to be happy with the character. They did a great job with her in season one, I would argue the second or third most well rounded depiction of the character that season of anything writers have yet come up with in her history. Yet, season two was personally one of the worst depictions of the character made to date and it feels like Marvel's intervention may have been at hand and if that is how they see Lorna and how they want her depicted going forward I am done with the character entirely.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-13-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

People seem to be assuming that Tom Brevoort, who has dibs on the twins, would be OK with the retcon being undone or that his higher-ups would care enough to order him to undo it. Either one might be true, but Brevoort probably liked the retcon because a) It undid the problem of updating Wanda and Pietro's age to match Magneto's, b) It gave him fuller control over those two characters.

Maybe they'll undo it anyway, but I have a feeling what we're seeing is just that Magneto is (still) more famous than the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and thanks to the many stories/adaptations where they are Magneto's children (including Wolverine & the X-Men, which I'm still cheesed off about because it prevented them from being in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes), more people know stories where they are his children than know about the retcon.

It's a bit like House of M is such a famous story that many if not most people think it represents Wanda's actual power level, because more people have read that story than ever read the story that retconned away her unexplained power boost. But I still wouldn't assume, based on the many people who say Wanda has the power to change all of reality with three words, that Marvel is going to actually make that her power level.

(The page from Marvelous X-Men is interesting because it does acknowlege the retcon but tries to reconcile it with the well-known fact that Magneto is Wanda and Pietro's father. In other words it's not undoing the retcon, it's just proof that a lot of writers and editors probably don't like the retcon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I agree but I hardly dubout it will ever happen, seems that while chewing Pietro for his role in M-Day and all he did after it, was far play, calling out Wanda about hers is cruel and makes the complainer a resentefull hater. But yes I would love to see Lorna talking Wanda about how her actions affected her in a personal level and for once seeing Wanda taking responsibility instead the playing victim.
    I think a lot of post-M-Day work addressing M-Day out of Marvel has been trying to provide outs and excuses because they see it as tarnishing her image. There was also the politics of corporate wanting to screw the X-Men franchise over cause of Fox owning the film rights. It wasn't lost on me that immediately after the AvX stuff where Wanda helped make new mutants possible, the Terrigen Mists suddenly came into play wiping out mutants and making others sterile. Became pretty blatant that was an attempt to shift blame from one character (Scarlet Witch) to a whole franchise of characters (Inhumans).

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    As for the whole M-Day thing, Lorna already brought that up briefly in All New X-Factor.

Polaris already had a bit of a grudge/resentment of Wanda, but it didn't seem to be a point of contention by the end of the issue, and both Wanda and Lorna seemed to leave things in a good place before the recton.
    Yeah, but that story really flipped on a dime to have Lorna's attitude toward Wanda change literally out of nowhere. Which I don't blame Peter David for at all, as it clearly came down to people above him at Marvel dictating certain parameters. He did a good job despite their restrictions. But I don't consider that issue to be a legitimate "See, they're over it" case. They needed a full-fledged story arc spanning multiple issues and instead they got a single issue pretty much sabotaged to try to minimize audience interest in their dynamic before the forced retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    People seem to be assuming that Tom Brevoort, who has dibs on the twins, would be OK with the retcon being undone or that his higher-ups would care enough to order him to undo it. Either one might be true, but Brevoort probably liked the retcon because a) It undid the problem of updating Wanda and Pietro's age to match Magneto's, b) It gave him fuller control over those two characters.

Maybe they'll undo it anyway, but I have a feeling what we're seeing is just that Magneto is (still) more famous than the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and thanks to the many stories/adaptations where they are Magneto's children (including Wolverine & the X-Men, which I'm still cheesed off about because it prevented them from being in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes), more people know stories where they are his children than know about the retcon.

It's a bit like House of M is such a famous story that many if not most people think it represents Wanda's actual power level, because more people have read that story than ever read the story that retconned away her unexplained power boost. But I still wouldn't assume, based on the many people who say Wanda has the power to change all of reality with three words, that Marvel is going to actually make that her power level.

(The page from Marvelous X-Men is interesting because it does acknowlege the retcon but tries to reconcile it with the well-known fact that Magneto is Wanda and Pietro's father. In other words it's not undoing the retcon, it's just proof that a lot of writers and editors probably don't like the retcon.)
    Judging by how pre-retcon Brevoort was bending over backwards to try to make excuses for why Lorna somehow couldn't be Magneto's daughter, and how he went out of his way to try to replace Lorna with first Enchantress in Axis and then Luminous in Uncanny Avengers (not to mention having a House of M portrait redrawn to remove Lorna in Children's Crusade), I'd expect he wants the twins to be Magneto's kids. And simultaneously thinks Lorna isn't "good enough" or that the role of daughter can only be occupied by one character.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Judging by how pre-retcon Brevoort was bending over backwards to try to make excuses for why Lorna somehow couldn't be Magneto's daughter, and how he went out of his way to try to replace Lorna with first Enchantress in Axis and then Luminous in Uncanny Avengers (not to mention having a House of M portrait redrawn to remove Lorna in Children's Crusade), I'd expect he wants the twins to be Magneto's kids. And simultaneously thinks Lorna isn't "good enough" or that the role of daughter can only be occupied by one character.
    Not that I can read Brevoort's mind, but Wanda's connection to Magneto didn't really come up much before the end of Avengers Disassembled Pietro was a bit more active in the X-Books but Wanda would only turn up as a guest from the Avengers, like in Magneto: Dark Seduction where the Avengers sent her to Genosha as an envoy.

According to Brian Bendis, even Disassembled didn't have a Magneto appearance until Jeph Loeb pointed out to Bendis that Wanda was Magneto's daughter and it would be interesting to see what Magneto had to say about her going mad. That led to the ending, and in turn to House of M, and in turn to an era where Wanda was closer to being an X-Men character than she'd ever been since the '60s (though mostly by default, because she wasn't appearing much anywhere).

So Brevoort pouring cold water on the Wanda/Pietro/Lorna relationship might be a sign that he didn't want Lorna to complicate the family, but it could just as easily be a sign that he wanted to keep Wanda and Pietro separate from the X-Men line as much as possible. The X-Men editors have dibs on Lorna, but the Avengers editor has dibs on Wanda and Pietro (to the point that Peter David was only allowed to use Pietro for All-New X-Factor with the understanding that Brevoort could have him back any time he wanted), and making Lorna their sister complicates that a bit.

I mean at this point it seems like Wanda has moved on from Magneto. I get the feeling this is only because of the rights reverting suddenly they are teasing this reversion of status quo to the old status quo.