Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Magneto has been shown to use his powers for non- threatening uses, his family made jewelry and he made a necklace for Magda as a gift when they were children and chose to be an engineer when he was young to build houses and even made a wheelchair when he was a working at an hospital in Haifa, he still has an artistic side but when he does this is usually because heīs in a reflective or peaceful place of mind. So I would say that if we want to differentiate Lorna from Magneto is that heīs still very pragmatic while using his powers, while Lorna is more playful and artistic.
    Thanks for making me aware of this. I agree that Lorna can be more playful and artistic with her uses while Magneto can be more pragmatic.

Agreed, it must be hard to keep all this years of continuity and retcons straight and clear for the writer to use, so I understand well meaning flaws in the story, my problem with Jeanīs story was that the use of Magnetoīs helmets were a kind of nod to continuity but no one of the character didnīt made a comment about that, if they are going to honor past stories they should as well do it without ambiguity.
    To me, it's damning that Marvel will have Jean fight Cassandra on Genosha, but they've refused to acknowledge Lorna was even on Genosha and went through anything there for the past 10 years. The only time it's come up in the past 10 years was for a cover released end of last year that included a nod to it, which I gave props to Marvel for at the time, but in retrospect I wonder if it was really just a case of an artist wanting to do it and Marvel not going out of the way to quash it.

Indeed "I am also doing a completely unnecesary retcon while I am at it" To be fair we probably donīt know every factor that came for that decision but that "you have no family" was unnecesary. I donīt think itīs him not liking Lorna fans, he just seems to think that either Magneto has Wanda as a daughter, something he didnīt seem to like either or he has no daughter, thatīs my take from some of his comments of course I could be wrong.
    I don't think his issue is with Lorna fans, but with Lorna herself. I think he sees her as a worthless character, that she somehow "lessens" Magneto and Wanda. Aside from his actions, his past comments include trying to justify an overly complicated excuse for why Lorna "couldn't" be Magneto's daughter (but Siryn could by Banshee's), and telling someone who wanted Lorna in Avengers vs X-Men that events are "only for A-listers and B-listers." Ultimately, I think he is currently the prime example of someone currently working at Marvel who has a mistaken negative impression of Lorna thanks to how poorly she was treated in their formative years of getting to know the Marvel universe.

She does the writers and editors just need to remember it . Genosha, X-factor has some of the moments I like more about Lorna and Polaris from the Exiles had a great characterization too.
    Exiles version Lorna is younger, but she's the prime example I cite to people of how fun and cool Lorna can be, and how great the Lorna and Wanda sister relationship can be if handled well. And honestly, I'm a bit raw that it got abruptly canceled when there was much more that could've been done with it. I had just discovered Lorna and started getting into her, and one of my first experiences right out the gate was "Let's cancel this book that's doing great things with her."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Two recent cosplay pics of Polaris by Erriaa (Amy Munro) on Twitter. Tweet #1. Tweet #2. Both tweets note her as part of the family.

Symbols by teal-bandit. She's considering having them as tattoos. She also noted in tags how everyone in the family except Lorna has an official logo. I think this one she made is good, and demonstrates how important Lorna's headgear is since it's her de facto symbol.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

By Immarart

She does the writers and editors just need to remember it . Genosha, X-factor has some of the moments I like more about Lorna and Polaris from the Exiles had a great characterization too.
    There was a time in 2008-2009 that was really good for the whole Magnus family when there were noises of a potential Sony like deal and that Fox and Marvel were in talks about integrating their movies starting with having Magneto in Captain America so that you could have had Lorna and Wanda in something akin to Nebula and Gamora's place.

But, that fell through and then the Disney buy out of Marvel happened. If a Sony type deal happened then its a good bet Genosha might have been either in the place of Wakanda or side by side based on how things were going over a decade ago. I remember an article post Black Panther that the films don't need the X-Men as a metaphor going forward and that is a real issue the X-Men are going to have. There is more then one minority group metaphors to be had, but I really hope they don't pick alien refugees as a metaphor for the X-Men which is the Inhumans territory. Certainly from the sound of it the MCU will be in no rush to bring them in and we are talking a half decade or more before they are added in.

Reeva on The Gifted was case and point of what can go wrong when you bring in a new character and quickly force that character overtop other established popular ones.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-02-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks for making me aware of this. I agree that Lorna can be more playful and artistic with her uses while Magneto can be more pragmatic.
    No problem

To me, it's damning that Marvel will have Jean fight Cassandra on Genosha, but they've refused to acknowledge Lorna was even on Genosha and went through anything there for the past 10 years. The only time it's come up in the past 10 years was for a cover released end of last year that included a nod to it, which I gave props to Marvel for at the time, but in retrospect I wonder if it was really just a case of an artist wanting to do it and Marvel not going out of the way to quash it.
    Agreed, hope that after AoXM is done we can see a little more of the effects of Genosha on Lorna.

I don't think his issue is with Lorna fans, but with Lorna herself. I think he sees her as a worthless character, that she somehow "lessens" Magneto and Wanda. Aside from his actions, his past comments include trying to justify an overly complicated excuse for why Lorna "couldn't" be Magneto's daughter (but Siryn could by Banshee's), and telling someone who wanted Lorna in Avengers vs X-Men that events are "only for A-listers and B-listers." Ultimately, I think he is currently the prime example of someone currently working at Marvel who has a mistaken negative impression of Lorna thanks to how poorly she was treated in their formative years of getting to know the Marvel universe.
    Maybe it also as to do with him being an Avengers editor who doesnīt want to mix X-characters with Avengers characters if he can help it but I agree with you that unfortunately the Avengers editors and part of its fandom use the A, B list as categories of the characters, an unfair categorization imo, Jessica Jones would not have gotten a series at Netflix if she didnīt have an interesting story to be told, her series surprised even Michael Bendis, her own creator so there are no bad characters just bad stories imo.

Exiles version Lorna is younger, but she's the prime example I cite to people of how fun and cool Lorna can be, and how great the Lorna and Wanda sister relationship can be if handled well. And honestly, I'm a bit raw that it got abruptly canceled when there was much more that could've been done with it. I had just discovered Lorna and started getting into her, and one of my first experiences right out the gate was "Let's cancel this book that's doing great things with her."
    I also missed this series, I loved that Wanda and Lorna were in a team together even if they were both AU characters, I guess this is another effect of the Axis retcon, because after it was done marvel went out of itīs way to burn bridges between Magneto and Wanda & Pietro so I see this cancelation as colateral damage from marvel editorial decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247
    There was a time in 2008-2009 that was really good for the whole Magnus family when there were noises of a potential Sony like deal and that Fox and Marvel were in talks about integrating their movies starting with having Magneto in Captain America so that you could have had Lorna and Wanda in something akin to Nebula and Gamora's place. But, that fell through and then the Disney buy out of Marvel happened. If a Sony type deal happened then its a good bet Genosha might have been either in the place of Wakanda or side by side based on how things were going over a decade ago. I remember an article post Black Panther that the films don't need the X-Men as a metaphor going forward and that is a real issue the X-Men are going to have. There is more then one minority group metaphors to be had, but I really hope they don't pick alien refugees as a metaphor for the X-Men which is the Inhumans territory. Certainly from the sound of it the MCU will be in no rush to bring them in and we are talking a half decade or more before they are added in. Reeva on The Gifted was case and point of what can go wrong when you bring in a new character and quickly force that character overtop other established popular ones.
    Yes, I heard Kevin Feige wanted to do an small scene of child Magneto interacting with Captain America during WWII but Fox wasnīt having it so the plans were canceled.

imo The X-men main problem is that their stories seem to have happened in a vacumm apart from the rest of the marvel universe and itīs just in recent times that marvel seems to be doing more of an effort to include them with the rest of the marvel universe. The X-men philosophy suffers because of this, not only because of the existence of Wakanda, there are all kinds of prejuices and injustices in the world after all, but because their main characteristic in the comics is that they have powers, something the Avengers and Fantastic Four also have and they are not as hated by the human population, my guess is that Mr. Hickman main dutie will be to develop a new X-men mythos that keeps the best from their old stories but also allows the X-men to become part of the main marvel universe once again in a literal and methaphorical way and then use this to bring them to the main MCU universe. From what I saw in his interviews, Hickman genuinely loves X-men stories and grew up with them so I believe the X-men are in good hands, I hope I am not wrong.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I think the X-Men's problem has been deeper then just being cut off from the rest of the franchise. Storylines have lost stakes and the emotional attachment of characters and relationships to stories given fans know they will be rebooted in a couple months to a year.

Anyway, art.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-04-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Yes, I really want to see whereīs the story going there, it looks like the final battle will be Legion vs Lorna, Beast, Bishop and Gabby.
    In terms of Lorna in the series I haven't had enough to make up my mind in regard to the depiction as yet. Her comments and the type of unrestrained, but almost uncontrolled outburst while talking about not being controlled again was very reminiscent of mid to late 90s Lorna. It is a different beast then early 2000s Lorna where her attacks were highly aggressive, but calculated.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.

art by Leandro Matos

Last edited by jmc247; 05-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I would honestly trade all three of Pietro’s rescue scenes for actual character development, and finally telling Erik they’re related. And now it’s too late. My only hope is Kevin Feige deciding to grant him clemency for phase 4, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson agreeing to come back.

5B0DC59C-58FE-4AE1-8807-54EE46F3DEF7.jpg