Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Busiek's Avengers is wonderful meat and potatoes Avengers done with love. It's objectively better than Bendis by miles, IMO. But it never catapulted the book into a higher level of attention to get them beyond Marvel's 90s obsession with the X-Men to the point of bankruptcy.

IMO the Bendis revamp was necessary. It was far from perfect, and his obvious massive issues with plotting and characterization and the complete lack of editorial supervision made me sour on him quickly, but it got me reading the book full time for years and years. Making up a team of company heavy hitters and then rebuilding the larger Avengers over time was the right move; making Spidey, Luke, etc. major Avengers was bold. Just like replacing him with Hickman was also the right move, because Bendis was very tired but the time he wrapped Avengers. He should never have been given X-Men, because IMO not only is he not good with big team books or events, he also didn't seem terribly interested in the X-Men. He was tired and it was time for him to go back to smaller books. So instead he went to DC and he's going to foul it up again, lol. I can't think of a man less suited for my poor Legion.
    It didn't do anything revolutionary, just add popular characters. Spidey is near top in sales frequently. Wolverine was even up there when he was dead, lol. Easy street.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Yes, I remember that crossover Busiek did with the JL the problem I see is that after Busiekīs run who did a really good job to fix the Avengers continuity the team didnīt have many recognized characters and as you said Austen didnīt really help matters so marvel decided the Avengers needed something very different to get more sales and of course bringing characters like Wolverine and Spider- Man would work given they already had solo titles. I guess it would have been better if Bendis did more character development with the classic Avengers but imo thatīs not really his style.

Agreed this conflict only made the Inhumans look really bad it would have been better if Marvel did their own version of Game of Thrones with them and other royal families like the Shiar or the Kree. Thatīs why crossovers like War of Kings were very well received and X-men vs Inhumans wasnīt. Given both groups share the sentiment of having to hide from the normal human population they work better as allies than as adversaries and worse, natural stories that could have been born from this conflict like Pietro and Magneto relationship with Crystal and Luna were left out just because marvel decided to break all links in the family, even Luna was nowhere to be seen.
    The problem for me isn't that there weren't classic Avengers. But that they wrecked classic Avengers to bring about that run. I don't have a problem with the Avengers roster changing. It always has since issue #16.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    This kind of attitude is exactly why I want my character separated from a more famous character.
    Just so she won't fail to live up to that guy's standard of awesomeness and forced to change.
    No. He used to be readable but he still screwed over his daughter and committed murder to cover up that lie. And still complained....just a ridiculous character sometimes.

Extraordinary Member

I think the Bendis reboot of Avengers really was needed. The comic had gone on since the '60s with basically the same core cast and a very small core of characters, including Scarlet Witch, Vision, Wasp, Hank Pym, Wonder Man, who got most of the character development. Busiek was good at writing classic-style Avengers with the core cast, but once he left it needed something new, and it needed to shake up the cast instead of having the same people who had been there for decades. Bendis's cast did that. Spider-Man and Wolverine got some new readers at first (they never would have stayed if they didn't like the comic), Luke Cage should have been on the Avengers years ago (and almost was in the '80s) and the theme of the Avengers rebuilding and trying to figure out what they wanted to be in the new world of '00s comics reflected the struggle to make the Avengers "relevant" after The Authority and The Ultimates.

All of this however could have been done without making the Scarlet Witch unusable or turning her into a mass murdering unstable omnipotent psycho, a characterization that has followed her around ever since, because so many people don't know that her characterization and power level in Disassembled/House of M have so little to do with her history as a character.

Disassembled is the product of its time, including the now incredibly dated art and coloring ("House of M" holds up as art, Finch's stuff doesn't) and that includes kind of a dismissive attitude to "uncool" characters and their fans. I don't think Bendis hated the Avengers (now Hickman, I think he had total contempt for the entire concept and it shows throughout his run), but I think he was trying to signal to new readers that it was OK to start reading because this wasn't your dad's Avengers any more. It's a little immature but so are superhero comics, so I can pardon him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    No. He used to be readable but he still screwed over his daughter and committed murder to cover up that lie. And still complained....just a ridiculous character sometimes.
    Oh, so now we are going to diminish a classic character's worth with one single story?
    You don't have to like them equally, but respect them all the same.

Dragon Com with Jamie and Emma

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Does Magneto demagnetize credit cards? Is he strong enough to fry cell phones? Does he carry cash and use a landline?

Last edited by juan678; 08-31-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 08-31-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 08-31-2019 at 12:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Oh, so now we are going to diminish a classic character's worth with one single story?
    You don't have to like them equally, but respect them all the same.
    You have demonized House of M to no end even though it's the biggest story of the 2000s for the character. Continuity...it was never Wanda at fault...Pietro was the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Marvel 1000 House of M
    Thanks juan for bringing that over.