Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Wait, what?

I haven't been keeping up with things since the last Nova series ended. I heard the Corps was back, but most of them were depowered (movie synergy I assume) and I heard Sam lost the helmet, but.....

What's going on? Is Rich no longer Nova Prime?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Nova #1 May 1999
    "Starting Over"
    Enter the further adventures of Rich Rider, an ordinary college student who just wants to keep a steady job,
    hang out with his friends, and score the occasional date. There's just one problem: he's a hard luck super hero.
    Join Nova as he blasts into high-flying adventure and attempts to save the world--while he also tries to keep his life from falling apart!
    Issue #1 brings you up-to-date with the Human Rocket, fills you in on his origin,

reveals his status with the New Warriors,

introduces you to his new supporting cast,

and sets the stage for the electrifying events to come!

Written by Erik Larsen. Art by Joe Bennett and Armando Durruthy.
    Can we not recap Erik Larson's Nova? Because it was a needless throw back to the undeveloped Rich, starting with him callously leaving Namorita in her worst moment. Half the damn plots were Wolfman throw backs that had been resolved (Sphinx going after Nova, for example)

Larson's Nova was like a vomit combination of Fabian N's and Wolfman's Nova, with worse art

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Can we not recap Erik Larson's Nova? Because it was a needless throw back to the undeveloped Rich, starting with him callously leaving Namorita in her worst moment. Half the damn plots were Wolfman throw backs that had been resolved (Sphinx going after Nova, for example)

Larson's Nova was like a vomit combination of Fabian N's and Wolfman's Nova, with worse art
    Larson's Savage Dragon was amazing back in the day (though I havent followed it in forever!) but I've never read any of his other work that I actually enjoyed.

However, he did help inspire Robert Kirkman to create Invincible, and that earns the man a whole pile of credit in my book.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Larson's Savage Dragon was amazing back in the day (though I havent followed it in forever!) but I've never read any of his other work that I actually enjoyed.

However, he did help inspire Robert Kirkman to create Invincible, and that earns the man a whole pile of credit in my book.
    I skimmed through a recent Savage Dragon. To call it WTF is a disservice to WTF.

So yeah, please, lets not recap Larson's Nova. It's been forgotten for a reason

A while back I went to the Ask Kurt Busiek post, and I asked him if he ever considered using Rich as an Avenger, since he used him in a storyline with the Exemplars.

Mr. Busiek replied that he originally intended to use Rich as an Avenger in place of Justice and Firestar, as the new member overawed by Avengers membership. At that time however, Nova had become a little more brash and cynical, kind of 'Hawkeye-like', so he went with Justice and Firestar instead. Mr. Busiek went on to say that he thinks Rich would be an excellent Avenger.

On another note, I think it's awesome that Kurt Busiek responds on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

In total agreement with you about Larsen's Savage Dragon. What he has accomplished with his creation can never be equaled.

I remember after McFarlane left, Larsen had a brief stint on the adjective-less Spider-Man. It was mind-numbingly 90's and I loved it, especially the added bonus of Larsen's feud with Peter David. Those were wonderful times, indeed.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-07-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

BANNED

Nova #2 Jun 1999
    "Shattered Lives"
    As Nova deals with his guilt over the damage he inflicted on Ginger Jaye's husband,

he's confronted by the unexpected return of an old foe with a grudge to bear--Diamondhead!

But their knock-down, drag-out fight can only be stopped by one man: the Living Legend of WWII, Captain America!
    Does Rich Rider have what it takes to impress the star-spangled Avenger? Plus: a startling change in Namorita!

Written by Erik Larsen. Art by Joe Bennett and Armando Durruthy.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    A while back I went to the Ask Kurt Busiek post, and I asked him if he ever considered using Rich as an Avenger, since he used him in a storyline with the Exemplars.

Mr. Busiek replied that he originally intended to use Rich as an Avenger in place of Justice and Firestar, as the new member overawed by Avengers membership. At that time however, Nova had become a little more brash and cynical, kind of 'Hawkeye-like', so he went with Justice and Firestar instead. Mr. Busiek went on to say that he thinks Rich would be an excellent Avenger.

On another note, I think it's awesome that Kurt Busiek responds on these boards.
    Rich did become a Secret Avenger for a hot minute, but he only appeared for the one story, so Brubacker could use the Nova Force and Worldmind to prop up how great Captain America is at the very moment Marvel should have been building on how great Rich could be, how strong and powerful he was in the wake of Annihilation.....but instead they served him up to help keep the same old guys on top.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

It would actually be kind of odd if Rich became an Avenger now. After all, it's not often the original joins AFTER the legacy character (Sam was an ANAD Avenger). The only example I can think of is Spider-Woman, since Julia Carpenter was an Avenger in the 80s and Jessica Drew didn't become one until after Secret Invasion (replacing her Skrull imposter who joined after Disassembled).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Fantastic Four #208 Jul 1979
    "The Power of the Sphinx!"
    Reed Sue and Ben were apparently killed when their ship was destroyed by Nova and The New Champions.
    In fact, the threesome was saved by Sue's force field, a fact that Nova and his colleagues soon realize.

Nova himself rescues them and brings them on board. There Ben confronts the Sphinx.
    The Sphinx rises to the challenge and as Ben swings a punch he easily halts the blow and threatens to crush Ben's hand.
    Reed intervenes and peace is restored, but for only as long as it takes the Sphinx
    to dematerialise from the bridge in search the Living Computers of Xandar.
    Dr. Sun covets the computers' power for himself and follows the Sphinx, disappearing in his energy trail.
    Reed tries to stop the robot but is cut down by the effects of the Skrull aging ray.
    In fact, all three members of the FF find their powers noticeably weakened, but Reed says he will not rest till he finds a cure.

Back on Earth, Johnny returns to the Baxter Building and activates the ion ray to send him to Xandar.
    There he meets Queen Adora and is reunited with his colleagues.

Reed brings Johnny up to speed on the activities of the Sphinx. Elsewhere, Prime Thoran has drawn the energy
    of the Living Computers and takes personal command of the Nova Corps in their fight against the Skrulls.

The FF and the New Champions, meanwhile, join forces against the Sphinx, whose contact with the Living Computers
    has turned him into a colossal being of seemingly unlimited power, which he demonstrates by thwarting the heroes' attack.
    Reed wonders why the Sphinx hasn't used the power to cure his curse of immortality and with that,
    the Sphinx harnesses the power of a distant sun and uses it against the FF.
    After easily withstanding individual attacks from all members of the FF

and the New Champions, the Sphinx disappears into space with a chilling warning on his lips.
    Reed decides that the only course of action is to split the two teams up:
    the New Champions will stay and defend Xandar, while the FF enlist the help if the one being who can help them stand up against the Sphinx... Galactus!

Appearances by Comet, Crimebuster, Diamondhead, Doctor Sun, Nova, Powerhouse and the Sphinx..

Script by Marv Wolfman. Art by Sal Buscema (breakdowns), Frank Giacoia, Al Milgrom and Frank Springer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It would actually be kind of odd if Rich became an Avenger now. After all, it's not often the original joins AFTER the legacy character (Sam was an ANAD Avenger). The only example I can think of is Spider-Woman, since Julia Carpenter was an Avenger in the 80s and Jessica Drew didn't become one until after Secret Invasion (replacing her Skrull imposter who joined after Disassembled).
    Rich is already an Avenger...Rogers recruited him for the Secret Avengers.

Uh oh... Bleeding Cool posted spoilers for tomorrow's Guardians issue, and it's not good news for Rich.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Uh-oh, SpaghettiOs!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Great news as far as I am concerned.

spoilers:
    If the whole of the Nova Corps is gone again (not getting at all old....) then hopefully Rich can get Worldmind and full access back, and return to being Nova Prime.

I dont think he's going to be part of that 'they're all gone' stuff, he's too big a character for even Cates to just write off without even a name drop
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by legion_quest; 07-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Unbelievable scenes in GOTG. How many times is that?? 4th? 5th?