Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

BANNED

I liked reading marvel comics depicting the interactions between the marvel characters Namorita and Nova..

BANNED

Nova #6 Oct 1999
    "The Dying Game"
    His full power restored by the Ka Stone ankh, Anath-Na Mut sets out to hunt down
    Richard Rider - the superhero known as Nova - and absorb his powers to become complete.

At Empire State University, Richard Rider, Bernie Dillon and Roger Cooper exit the campus theatre
    after a showing of Citizen Kane - Rider expressing incredulity at the infamous twist ending.
    Roger mentions that Rider has joined up with the New Warriors, lamenting his change of costume
    and speculating that he's trying to hook up with Namorita. Rider maintains that he's over her,
    and states that he changed his costume in hopes that the Avengers would notice and recruit him.

Several hours later, Bernie comes across Rider sleeping on the couch and accidentally startles him awake.
    Rider laments his busy schedule and states that he needs at least
    two days of sleep, but is forced to attend a college baseball match.
    Roger attempts to persuade him to use his Nova powers to win the game,
    but Rider is uncomfortable with cheating until Roger mentions that Jennifer Smith will be there.

Later, Rider uses his powers to score home run after home run, and as the
    team celebrates Bernie plays wingman and introduces Rider to Elizabeth Rand.
    Jennifer Smith interrupts Elizabeth's attempt to ask Rider on a date with her own request,
    Rider remarking he thought she was already dating Randy Reed.
    As Jennifer dials up the flirtation and Roger congratulates Rider on scoring his dream girl, Elizabeth becomes increasingly dejected.
    An explosion goes off behind them, and Rider watches in horror as Jennifer and Bernie are reduced to emaciated corpses.
    Transforming into Nova, Rider flies into the decimated city and searches for survivors only to be blindsided by Anath-Na Mut.
    Horrified that the Sphinx is back, Rider realizes that he can undo the deaths and destruction
    caused by Anath-Na Mut's reality-warping powers - and also give himself an in with the Avengers.
    The Sphinx grabs him and begins to drain his life force, which has Nova lamenting that he allowed Reed Richards to dampen his powers.
    Nova breaks free while the Sphinx is distracted by regaining some of his memories, running into some civilians - who are promptly killed.
    Declaring his intent to force Nova to submit even if he has to suck the entire planet dry in order to do so,
    the Sphinx begins absorbing the life force from everyone and everything in the vicinity, growing to a colossal height.
    Nova demands to know what Anath-Na Mut wants, and the Sphinx responds that he seeks revenge
    against Galactus - intending to suck both Earth and Xandar dry in order to obtain the power to do so.

Nova blasts the Sphinx - refusing to give up the knowledge and power stored
    in Xandar's supercomputer - but Anath-Na Mut grows to the size of a highrise.
    Nova rams Anath-Na Mut, seeking to get him away from the city, and knocks him into the ocean.
    Before he can fly away, he's blasted by the power of the Ka Stone.
    As the Sphinx grows large enough to stand on the ocean floor with the sea level at waist height,
    Nova rips the Ka Stone out of Anath-Na Mut's ankh flies into space, throwing it into the sun.

Anath-Na Mut turns to stone and Nova smashes him to pieces, freeing the trapped souls
    - resurrecting the people Anath-Na Mut had killed - and undoing the destruction to the city.
    As time snaps back to before the battle, Rider finds himself
    returned to the ballpark and accepts Jennifer Smith's offer of a date.

Elsewhere, in a dark apartment room Eddie Brock watches on the TV as a news anchor reports
    that Mary - his 23 year-old sister - was critically injured and left comatose by Nova's battle.
    Enraged, Brock smashes the television and transforms into Venom, swearing revenge.

Written by Erik Larsen. Art by Joe Bennett and Armando Durruthy.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Even though I don't care for Rosenberg I can't wait to get my hands on this and the rest of the Scourge one-shots.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Spectacular Member Nightstar1441's Avatar

I have not bought a comic in years but this will be a must for me
    Never Surrender!

I want to be pumped for this...but seems like every time I get excited about a new book my favorite character in the book is either mischaracterized or end up not liking at all.

But the preview does look promising!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I want to be pumped for this...but seems like every time I get excited about a new book my favorite character in the book is either mischaracterized or end up not liking at all.
    Dude, I've been there and I totally get what you're saying.

That's what makes the whole reading experience so irritable for me, especially when my favorite character is used to prop up the "flavor of the month".

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    But the preview does look promising!
    One can only hope. Fingers crossed.

Fantastic Member

Hmm. So having already shat further upon my favoutite, Sentry, I can only hope that Rich's recent actions will be remedied by the time this all pans out. Always had a soft spot for Nova since I lucked into picking up Annihilation back when I was new to comics.

Its pretty clear this reviewer is clueless! Yes to some it MIGHT appear Nova is being a coward but if he'd bothered to read the comic a tad more closely and look at panel 4 on the penultimate page before he....well, puts the entire scene in a different context - that and Nova fans know - especially if they whip back to New Warriors issue 16, Vol.1 ---well what did Rich do in that issue eh? Good story Rosenberg! Can't wait to see how it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by nova3333 View Post
    Its pretty clear this reviewer is clueless! Yes to some it MIGHT appear Nova is being a coward but if he'd bothered to read the comic a tad more closely and look at panel 4 on the penultimate page before he....well, puts the entire scene in a different context - that and Nova fans know - especially if they whip back to New Warriors issue 16, Vol.1 ---well what did Rich do in that issue eh? Good story Rosenberg! Can't wait to see how it ends.
    Just had to Google what the cover of #16 was to remember what happened in that issue haha

Quote Originally Posted by nova3333 View Post
    Its pretty clear this reviewer is clueless! Yes to some it MIGHT appear Nova is being a coward but if he'd bothered to read the comic a tad more closely....
    Let me stop you right there. The reviewer did read the comic, but the only thing that matters is CLICKBAIT. Outside of the forums, CBR is nothing but clickbait and top ten list about things we already know. Without the forums this site would be dead already.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Gotta admit, this was a pretty awesome read. The relationship between Annihilus and Nova was pretty funny yet deep. Seeing that spread of Nova launching himself into that huge group of Cancerverse bad guys was fun. Maybe I've to get the Fantastic Four tie-in to understand one of the scenes in the issue, but overall, this was deeply satisfying. It hit all of the Rich Rider notes.

By the way, what is Rich's power level right now? I remember him back during Annihilation that he could smash through spaceships and take on Annihilus one-on-one. Is he still that?

Anyway, a very surprising read. Really liked it.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."