Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Great news as far as I am concerned.

spoilers:
    If the whole of the Nova Corps is gone again (not getting at all old....) then hopefully Rich can get Worldmind and full access back, and return to being Nova Prime.

I dont think he's going to be part of that 'they're all gone' stuff, he's too big a character for even Cates to just write off without even a name drop
    end of spoilers
    Very true! We can but wish!

But Cates has already shown that Rich is still an upper tier powered character even without the full Nova force.

I agree. This is good news for Rich. Sad to say but all of these other Nova's have been watering down the mantle of Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    I agree. This is good news for Rich. Sad to say but all of these other Nova's have been watering down the mantle of Nova.
    Ugh, this might be a bad thing. If the Nova Corps is gone...again that means the character is going to have to put everything back together and run everything. That takes the character further away from the action and sticks him into the "old man too old for this stuff" role.

And then Marvel tries to pull a Quasar.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-24-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    A non powered Nova corps is pretty pointless. At least when they they all powered they were something to be feared.

Ultimate Member

Eh, a sad part of being space cops is also being space red shirts.

No developed Novas died. So I'm sure they will bounce back, to be slaughtered again.

How it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Ugh, this might be a bad thing. If the Nova Corps is gone...again that means the character is going to have to put everything back together and run everything. That takes the character further away from the action and sticks him into the "old man too old for this stuff" role.

And then Marvel tries to pull a Quasar.
    Good point, and I totally agree. I would very much prefer Rich Rider's Nova doing his thing while out in the field, and just leave the rebuilding to Adora & Worldmind.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Good point, and I totally agree. I would very much prefer Rich Rider's Nova doing his thing while out in the field, and just leave the rebuilding to Adora & Worldmind.
    For that we'd need Adora back from the dead. Then again they've already cloned the whole planet once before why not again? They've killed Xander at least 3 or 4 times so it won't be a problem resurrecting them all again!

BANNED

Nova #3 Jul 1999
    "Lo, there shall come -- a really big robot!"
    It's another day in the life of your average superhero as Nova zooms in to stop a string of robberies.
    Piece of cake, right? Well, it's not so easy when the crimes are being committed by...Red Skull and the Hulk?!

Prepare yourself for massive destruction as the Human Rocket tries to set things right

--and almost wrecks New York City in the process!

Written by Erik Larsen. Art by Joe Bennett and Armando Durruthy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    A non powered Nova corps is pretty pointless. At least when they they all powered they were something to be feared.
    And that is what really needs to be definitively established. Asgardians of The Galaxy made it seem like they were all running around with the Nova Force. But last issue of Champions made it seem like they had a limited number of helmets that could access it and were hoarding them for special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I haven't been reading GotG or any of the other books the Novas have shown up in lately, not since the last Nova series (with Rich and Sam) ended. But I think on a conceptual level the less-powerful Corps is fine. You'd have powerless/low-powered Novas with ships and rifles and jetpacks (your rank and file canon fodder), which makes them no less powerful than any other advanced armada, and then you'd have your higher ranking officers with larger access to the Nova Force who'd all resemble the more Green Lantern-esque classic Novas. And then you'd have Nova Prime (and Rich is the only correct choice for that position) who'd be more powerful than the rest and closer to the higher-end cosmic characters like the Surfer.

That basically makes the Nova Corps resemble other solar military forces like the Shi'ar or the Kree. It's not the way it used to be but....well, I do love the design of the Nova starships and tech and this gives us a reason to have more of those. I also think this might make the Novas a little easier to use for creators; back in the day a single Nova was practically a whole superhero team unto themselves (sorta like Green Lanterns) but now you can have some lower ranking guys show up if you need to use less powerful characters in your story.

But the entire Nova landscape seems like a huge mess, and *that* definitely needs to be fixed. Things have really unraveled since the post-Annihilation DnA days and someone's gotta clean it up and make it awesome again. That is what bothers me, not the fact that some no-name red shirts aren't flying under their own power anymore, yknow? I'm not even that stressed about the idea of the Corps being destroyed (again!). When the entire cosmic landscape is a mess, nothing that happens really matters because it'll be undone or ignored by the next writer.

I suppose, given the way Marvel builds their comics now, this isn't likely to happen until the MCU does a Nova film.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

harveygreenfield

I always Ctl+F for Nova in Marvel's Solicits, and today it finally paid off!

ANNIHILATION: SCOURGE ALPHA #1
    MATTHEW Rosenberg (W) • Juanan Ramirez (A)
    Cover by JOSEMARIA CASANOVAS
    VARIANT COVER BY ALEX GARNER
    VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    VARIANT COVER BY ARIEL OLIVETTI
    THE OPENING SALVO FOR DECEMBER’S MAIN EVENT!
    Something is stirring in the Negative Zone…something that the Marvel Universe isn’t ready for! Will Nova be able to assemble a team powerful enough to tackle this burgeoning threat, or is it already too late to stop its descent upon the galaxy? For the Cosmos’s greatest heroes, ANNIHILATION is only the beginning…
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

BANNED

Fantastic Four #209 Aug 1979
    "Trapped in the Sargasso of Space!"
    The New Champions and the rest of the Fantastic Four look on as Reed huddles over the new device he has been constructing,
    a device that will allow Reed computer access away from the Baxter Building and will aid the four in their search for Galactus.
    As Ben looks on dismayed, Reed introduces the robot HERBIE to the assembled heroes.

Reed asks the robot to plot a course to the Omega Star System which it does almost instantaneously,
    and Master Xar reveals that the Living Computers of Xandar aided Reed in its design.
    After a quick review of the situation, the FF and the New Champions go their separate ways,
    the FF taking the fastest Xandarian ship at the behest of Queen Adora.
    Aboard his flagship, Emperor Dorrek rages at the routing of the Skrull fleet by a single Xandarian Prime Thoran,

and just as he is about to retreat to the Skrull homeworld he is cut down by the Empress R'Klll's energy weapon.
    R'Klll declares herself head of the Skrull Empire and order the Skrull fleet to regroup in preparation for a final assault.

As the FF travel at war speed in search of Galactus, they discover an astonishing interstellar graveyard full of millions of spaceships.
    Furthermore, HERBIE detects a breathable atmosphere outside the ship, and the Fantastic Four's curiosity demands they investigate.
    Outside they become aware of a robotic tentacle protruding from a nearby ship and decide to investigate.
    There they find a wounded alien called Grogarr, who claims to have been transporting criminals from his race only to be overpowered by them.
    As Grogarr breathes his last, Ben determines that in spite of the urgency of their own mission the FF should take the time
    to bring the criminals to justice, but as he leaves to do so he trips a booby trap and laser cannons fire on the FF.
    Using Sue's force field as a shield Ben quickly disables the weapons and the four resume their search.
    As Johnny scouts on ahead he is attacked by the alien criminals, and as they battle the team
    Reed soon realizes that the attack is a diversion so they can steal the Fantastic Four's ship.
    Ben and Reed subdue the remaining aliens and the heroes return to their ship to find the alien hijacker lying dead on the deck of their ship.
    As the remaining alien criminals are put into stasis chambers and left in space with a homing beacon the FF continue
    their voyage, but Ben still worries about the dead alien and openly suspects HERBIE of complicity in the death.

Appearances by Comet, Crimebuster, Powerhouse, Diamondhead and Nova.
    NOTE: First appearance of Herbie the Robot, who was the fourth member of the Fantastic Four (instead of the Human Torch) on the FF's Saturday morning cartoon show.

Script by Marv Wolfman. Pencils by John Byrne (first work on the series). Inks by Joe Sinnott.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Hoping the reason why we haven’t heard anything MCU related about Nova is because they have plans for him they don’t want to discuss just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

Hoping the reason why we haven’t heard anything MCU related about Nova is because they have plans for him they don’t want to discuss just yet.
    It seems like they've been circling around something with Nova for a while now.

BANNED

To me, instead of the comicbook character Silver Surfer, the comicbook character Nova is to deck the comicbook character Super-Skrull!