Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The problem is, as it has been at Marvel for a while now, editors who dont seem to know themselves, so they dont correct or work with writers when they're doing things.

Nova can be super powered in one book, then a grunt in another. The corps can be seen one way in one book, then as comedy chumps in another.

It's a long way from the days of the cohesive universe of the past.

Giving creators more scope to tell the stories they want comes at a cost
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Kinda funny to see the Black Order book only being discussed in here due to crossover with Rider heh. But yeah this issue was...oddly sweet look at Black Dwarf.

Also Rider's been juiced up by the warping ability of the Bow so it feels like it's a given he would win the fight, unless there's really bad side-effects that kick in mid-battle.
    Yeah, I noticed the bold too. Doesn't seem to be that much interest in the Black Order on the board. Rich is the only reason I picked it up myself but I have been enjoying it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I don't think anyone knows how powerful Rich is at the moment, his powers seem to fluctuate. Obviously he can't be as powerful as when he had the whole Nova force in him but even that has now been thrown up in the air due to the ridiculous idea that the Nova force comes directly from the helmet, just like the black Nova's.

And yes it is odd that the only remaining core member (except Saal and the other guy) has been demoted to a mere soldier.

I wish order was restored and Rich was powered back up to Nova Prime levels.
    I would really like for this to happen as well.However, I don't think the the writers and editors are on the same page as to where Nova's powers lay.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    Imho I think the bigger question is: will Marvel ever address Worldmind being stuck in the Cancerverse? There are definitely some dangling plot threads from the last Nova series-that if resolved-would help to answer his power resevoir as well as his rank as Nova [Prime].
    It would be nice if Worldmind came back. Even if it was just as a support character for Rich. Not everyone in the Nova Corps needs direct contact with Worldmind outside of mission help and info.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The problem is, as it has been at Marvel for a while now, editors who dont seem to know themselves, so they dont correct or work with writers when they're doing things.

Nova can be super powered in one book, then a grunt in another. The corps can be seen one way in one book, then as comedy chumps in another.

This. At times it seems the might be using a variation of the Nova Corp ranking system

But there hasn't been any consistency even in that. However, there are so few examples to get an accurate read on what they are trying to do.

However, I do believe you are right about the editors and the writers not doing their homework. It shows in a lot of the older books and it's sad.

Why would readers take the books seriously and purchase on the regular if the writers and editors can't be bothered enough to study up on the characters and concepts they are paid to write?
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Isn't it supposed to be that Richard Rider and Eve Bakian are the only Novas with actual powers?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Who even knows anymore?

Loeb and his retcons to make his ersatz character fit kinda made it so anyone can be a Nova if they have a black helmet because they self power.

Rider, I cant actually remember a time when he gave up the Nova Prime power. There is no powered Corps, so the Nova Force is....? Still in Rich? In the Cancerverse? With Worldmind who we just dont see anymore?

Eve is a retcon character herself and I've no idea of her powers. She seems to an old school powered Nova....but not clear what she is powered by or how?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Who even knows anymore?

Loeb and his retcons to make his ersatz character fit kinda made it so anyone can be a Nova if they have a black helmet because they self power.

Rider, I cant actually remember a time when he gave up the Nova Prime power. There is no powered Corps, so the Nova Force is....? Still in Rich? In the Cancerverse? With Worldmind who we just dont see anymore?

Eve is a retcon character herself and I've no idea of her powers. She seems to an old school powered Nova....but not clear what she is powered by or how?
    When he returned from the cancerverse we saw his helmet change from an 8 pointed starburst to 6 pointed. That's the only indication we got that he was no longer Nova Prime.

Where did his power go? Who took it? Did World mind take it back? Why didn't his costume change back to centurion? Questions, questions questions!

Who even knows anymore?

Eve's powers seem to be the same as Richard's. Worldmind was corrupted and remained in the cancerverse. To be honest, they should've given Eve a black helmet like the one Sam Alexander had. Would've made more sense.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eve's powers seem to be the same as Richard's. Worldmind was corrupted and remained in the cancerverse. To be honest, they should've given Eve a black helmet like the one Sam Alexander had. Would've made more sense.
    That would have made more sense given the current state of things. It would have also seemed like there was some consistency . Hopefully, we can get some of these questions cleared up pretty soon.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Just for Fun

Just goes to show that even without his Nova Prime power, Rich is a force to be reckoned with. And rightly so. The Nova core are like galactic cops. There's no point in the core if they can't handle cosmic threats.

I'd have liked to have seen more of his energy absorption powers in the DnA days.
    Last edited by kevlon; 01-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.

For me, what it is more confusing is the inconsistent changing back and forth of the costume and helmet insignia (both of which are the fantastic Nova Prime designs from the Annihilation by Scot Colins) in the art. Perez and Loveless establish that he is no longer Nova Prime in the last Nova solo series:

*side note I love this image because hit was a nod to when Nova pulled Annihilus' guts from him.

and here in Darkhawk IW:

However, you have a switch back the Nova Prime costume in the Black Order series:

I just want the story(ies) in between. Make a mini where Nova tries to get Worldmind back (or end the Cancerverse threat) with the help of some of his friends/former teams (New Warriors/Annihliators/GOTG) and see what happens from there.

....I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a case of the artist and editor is either just unaware or ignoring the Nova Corp ranking system when they put these out.

The overall inconsistency of the design points a case of not be detailed in the overall mythos more so then it does detailed thought.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-16-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Art by Adi Granov

Yeah, that just looks like an inconsistency between books to me. Someone didn't get the memo or something. I wouldnt argue with a "Meanwhile...." tale to make sense of it, but I dont think there's any mystery here.

I gave up on consistency with Nova a long time ago. Started with Sam and his story not matching Rich's stuff and ended with what Bendis did with the cancerverse. Rich isn't enough of a priority for Marvel to make sure his appearances and continuity line up. Hopefully he gets a movie and that changes, but until then I consider it lucky when Rich shows up at all.

Who's supposed to be Nova Prime now?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Nobody. Scott Adsit is their leader, but he's referred to as the Nova Commander, and doesn't have any actual powers (and I hope someone takes that guy down soon, because of what he did to Sam).