View Poll Results: Do you love him?

Voters
274. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

218 79.56%
  • Absolutely!

106 38.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 239 of 619 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 9276
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    So I can't find it, but Hickman allegedly said in an interview years ago that Cyke was his favorite X-Man.

Also this was interesting from 2015:
    IGN: There's also Cyclops becoming the Phoenix, which is a pretty huge thing, even though it didn't work out too well for him in AvX when he became the Dark Phoenix and killed Professor X. But that he has a Phoenix egg and used its power in the first issue, that could be a whole event in itself, but it was just a beat in this story. What was your decision to have him use it in the X-Men's last-ditch effort?

Hickman: Well, there's a lot baked into it. Certainly the death of everything seems like a very predictable and important place for the Phoenix to show up, certainly when you're talking about Cyclops, who is -- it's more complicated than this, but if you distill it down to its essence, you're talking about a guy who, since Professor Xavier died, is absolutely obsessed with bringing about, I would argue, the homogenized vision of what Magneto and Charles Xavier, both sides of that coin, have always been.

So I think he's the perfect conduit. I think the Phoenix is a completely predictable and acceptable appearance, and there will be, obviously perhaps, more with that.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...arvel-universe
    I don't tend to put much stock in writers saying "<insert hero>" is my favorite character. Not to sound like a broken record, but I recall BMB saying Cyke was his favorite-- and I'd rather that run be bleached from my brain. On the flipside, you had writers like Gillen who, allegedly, did not like Cyke, and I love how KG propelled Cyke forward and set him up for something big.

For context, though, one of the reasons for my distaste for BMB's run was his wasting KG's setup. I have more reasons-- cherry-picking continuity and poor voice for the non-original characters he was writing to name a few--, but that's one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Good to know. But I think it doesn’t matter, since his love for the character doesn’t stand in the way of the plot. We all remember the broken neck.
    Alleged love for the character also has no power against editorial XD
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Him giving up on leadership for Jean as Tyke did in Blue will help solidify her position as the top dog. And then he can have fun moping over her choosing Bishop over him.

Fun times ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Are we sure that her ex-husband cleaning the mess she left unresolved and then giving her the leadership will empower her? Especially when Xavier returns in a leadership position with the "true" X-men? It sounds contradictory.
    I'm foolishly holding out hope that this isn't the way it goes down. Jean always believed in Scott's leadership and supported him. Do I expect it will be more of a power share? Yes, but I'm hoping Jean recognizes that Scott's best use is leadership and that it's what gives the fight meaning for him. The Jean I remember would do that. Of course I haven't seen much of that character since she came back. Leave me with my foolish delusions.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Remember our good friend Ulf and PZero.

-So he's ignoring the whole Remender XF?
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    If it's confirmed as what I said, yes, it would.

PZero is a darling, which is why I should have said some. Same thing with Ulfhammer, who's a damn cool guy and seems like the kind of dad I'd like to be with the stories of his kids. Also, yes, JDW seems to only think Scott's mistakes matter or should be judged. Go figure.
    Thanks for the kind words AJ and Prez. Sometimes things get so adversarial around here that I forget there are people who's opinions I respect, even if I don't agree with them all. So much anti-Scott trolling lately!

Remember our good friend Ulf and PZero.

-So he's ignoring the whole Remender XF?
    Wait a second... Are you accusing me of being a Jean fan first? What did I do to deserve that?

...No offense intended to any Jean fans out there but come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    We all know JDW's opinion about Cyclops but I do not think he was resurrected to tell a filler story until Hickman arrives and then do nothing with him.
    Propping up Marvel's Girl of the Month is not nothing! Silly really because Jean or Storm or Kitty don't need help to be leaders. They've been that for many years, even when Scott was still running the show on field missions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I'm foolishly holding out hope that this isn't the way it goes down. Jean always believed in Scott's leadership and supported him. Do I expect it will be more of a power share? Yes, but I'm hoping Jean recognizes that Scott's best use is leadership and that it's what gives the fight meaning for him.
    I wouldn't mind Cyke being field leader and Jean's up there in command. But I'd rather an unholy trinity of Emma, Cyke, and Jean leading their own teams and coordinating pro-mutant efforts behind Xavier's back. Jean as the face, Cyke as the militant, and Emma using the wealthy and the underground. But above all of that--- I want a Summers family book, but Marvel's convinced that won't sell (they're prolly right haha).
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Wait a second... Are you accusing me of being a Jean fan first? What did I do to deserve that?

...No offense intended to any Jean fans out there but come on!
    Uh..sorry?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    I don't tend to put much stock in writers saying "<insert hero>" is my favorite character. Not to sound like a broken record, but I recall BMB saying Cyke was his favorite-- and I'd rather that run be bleached from my brain. On the flipside, you had writers like Gillen who, allegedly, did not like Cyke, and I love how KG propelled Cyke forward and set him up for something big.

For context, though, one of the reasons for my distaste for BMB's run was his wasting KG's setup. I have more reasons-- cherry-picking continuity and poor voice for the non-original characters he was writing to name a few--, but that's one of them.

Alleged love for the character also has no power against editorial XD
    True, but at least it's not Jason Aaron writing Cyclops. By at least liking the character, he should feel motivated to do something interesting with him.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    True, but at least it's not Jason Aaron writing Cyclops. By at least liking the character, he should feel motivated to do something interesting with him.
    Fair point. I suppose there are worse sentiments. But I still stand by my stance; I'd rather wait until we see what the run will be like.
    Let your wallet talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    I think we're jumping the gun here (I really hope we are) and I'm also as big a jean fan as I am Scott(Emma Grew on me as well), but I feel a lot more, "safe" posting in here? I feel like being a fan of both (With a leaning more towards Scott) in this forum can usually end up making you choose sides which I don't want. It's always gonna be the cool thing to hate on Scott. even when he got his own edge, those people just laid in even more. It's just the nature of who the character is. Sometimes I feel like I should appreciate it, because to hate a character you actually have to feel something. it sucks but we are a very loyal fanbase so there's that.

Also I don't want to see Scott mopey and just turning into wallpaper Tyke. I also Don't think Jean or Scott need to automatically go back to one another, I think they are each other's end game but I don't think it needs to be now. I think a nice grown adult conversation of their relationship and trying to go back to being friends first (they were each other's best friends) and let it grow from there. Scott doesn't need to be the overall leader but he needs to at least run a unit like people are saying, when he was basilisk he was able to play the "wolverine" sorta, but that's def not him. If they make jean the overarching leader (the old Xavier role) with Scott and Ororo I presume as field leaders I would be perfectly fine with that. And it would work great, Jean as the spokeswomen for the X-men is where she should be anyway.

I had thought of a cool story about Scott and Jean eventually getting back together but it starts out with them hiding it from everyone; basically certain X-men would play the perspective of the fanbase with the two finally having enough of people speculating them together, they tell everyone they aren't. Which would lead to them secretly dating psychically,there'd be an emma joke in there at some point about it of course lol.
    I'm in a similar boat though I'm a Scott first fan but Jean's very important to me. I think for the most part this thread is going to be safer. A few months back, maybe not. Those who've been around know what I mean. The Jean thread is actually ok for the most part, but the folks there that hate Scott are absolutely unabashed and over the top about it. I post there only when I feel I absolutely need to. It's too bad because there's a few posters over there that are very knowledgeable. The Jott thread has frequent visits from anyone on team Jean that's tolerable. Emma's thread is fine honestly. Most of them I think want Emma back with Scott but tend not to say it since they feel it's not going to happen. They're not hostile to Scott fans at all. I've only ever gotten in more heated conversation when I poke at the Emma\Jean thing.

I actually agree with you on Jott. There's plenty to deal with before they jump back on the booty train. Nothing ever comes quickly or easily for them so I expect we don't to worry about too fast being a thing. Their relationship is very much best friends first, lovers second. I wish more people realized that. If you read their vows from XM 30, they read as much like best friends as they do lovers.

I agree with what you're saying about the leadership structure too, but I'd tweak it a bit. Scott and Ro can definitely lead teams. They'll probably need more than two anyway. I'd put Jean in more of an ambassador role though, kind of like what Morrison was doing with her. I think that's more where her talents lie.

Excellent idea about how they get back together. I doubt it will happen since Marvel never downplays developments with these two. All there relationship stuff tends to be very public, which must be very awkward for Scott especially. Still, I'd be in favor of Marvel soft-playing the whole thing. They're not kids trying to figure out who the other person is. They already know everything they need to know about each other. I would appreciate a little more adult and private of a romance. Besides, Jean is going to be getting endless grief about it, probably from Kitty and Storm so keeping it on the DL makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Good to know. But I think it doesn’t matter, since his love for the character doesn’t stand in the way of the plot. We all remember the broken neck.
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes writers don't have the final say. He wrote Emma well as I recall. At least he has that going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    I wouldn't mind Cyke being field leader and Jean's up there in command. But I'd rather an unholy trinity of Emma, Cyke, and Jean leading their own teams and coordinating pro-mutant efforts behind Xavier's back. Jean as the face, Cyke as the militant, and Emma using the wealthy and the underground. But above all of that--- I want a Summers family book, but Marvel's convinced that won't sell (they're prolly right haha).
    Every Scott fan I know wants that book. Marvel will keep books going that are selling 10K or less. Could a book like that do any worse?

Uh..sorry?
    Just the way you bolded the quote made me think you were saying PZ and I are Jean fans primarily. She definitely is, but I'm not. I guess it's a false alarm.

Fantastic Member

I'm in a similar boat though I'm a Scott first fan but Jean's very important to me. I think for the most part this thread is going to be safer. A few months back, maybe not. Those who've been around know what I mean. The Jean thread is actually ok for the most part, but the folks there that hate Scott are absolutely unabashed and over the top about it. I post there only when I feel I absolutely need to. It's too bad because there's a few posters over there that are very knowledgeable. The Jott thread has frequent visits from anyone on team Jean that's tolerable. Emma's thread is fine honestly. Most of them I think want Emma back with Scott but tend not to say it since they feel it's not going to happen. They're not hostile to Scott fans at all. I've only ever gotten in more heated conversation when I poke at the Emma\Jean thing.

I actually agree with you on Jott. There's plenty to deal with before they jump back on the booty train. Nothing ever comes quickly or easily for them so I expect we don't to worry about too fast being a thing. Their relationship is very much best friends first, lovers second. I wish more people realized that. If you read their vows from XM 30, they read as much like best friends as they do lovers.

I agree with what you're saying about the leadership structure too, but I'd tweak it a bit. Scott and Ro can definitely lead teams. They'll probably need more than two anyway. I'd put Jean in more of an ambassador role though, kind of like what Morrison was doing with her. I think that's more where her talents lie.

Excellent idea about how they get back together. I doubt it will happen since Marvel never downplays developments with these two. All there relationship stuff tends to be very public, which must be very awkward for Scott especially. Still, I'd be in favor of Marvel soft-playing the whole thing. They're not kids trying to figure out who the other person is. They already know everything they need to know about each other. I would appreciate a little more adult and private of a romance. Besides, Jean is going to be getting endless grief about it, probably from Kitty and Storm so keeping it on the DL makes sense.
    Exactly! I would start it off slow and fun and just playful, the further along the deeper they get, dealing with their own demons and the ones they created together. Learning from their mistakes and getting to understand each other even more. it would be a cool way of developing their story and keeping it contained to them, as well as drama but mature rational drama that can eventually be overcome. Not that cheap drama that comes from a triangle.

So there's a nasty rumor floating around based on a leak that Scott will be stepping back from leadership in the coming days. The leak was right about a number of other items including Extermination being the vehicle for Scott's resurrection. This has been bugging me for a while now because I can absolutely see Marvel doing this. Do you think Scott can work in an non-leadership position?
    Not the way current X-office writes him. Expect Tyke 2.0, utterly incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    Exactly! I would start it off slow and fun and just playful, the further along the deeper they get, dealing with their own demons and the ones they created together. Learning from their mistakes and getting to understand each other even more. it would be a cool way of developing their story and keeping it contained to them, as well as drama but mature rational drama that can eventually be overcome. Not that cheap drama that comes from a triangle.
    I honestly think this needs at minimum an Annual but more likely a mini series. These two need some time to mend fences, no matter what pace their romantic lives take. I think the sooner this happens the better. Trying to tuck this into issues with other character moments and big plot points, not to mention the line wide events that will inevitably pop up just doesn't cut it for me. Further further adventures of Cyke and Phoenix? Stupid Marvel, they can't even call her that anymore. It wouldn't have to be all sap, or very much at all, but it would give them room to reconnect. The longer their both alive and that doesn't happen, the more I think it doesn't go very well.

I think we'll get a sneak peak at Marvel intentions with how they handle the Emma and Scott reunion in Uncanny.