Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Damn shame. Really enjoyed it when he when was doing colors for Miles

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Another pretty full issue.

spoilers:
    Like it was speculated, Starling's real identity is Tania Toomes, the granddaughter of the Vulture. She had a pretty close relationship with Adrian growing up, as he taught her how to use her tech and fly with the wings. She's come to Brooklyn from Detroit because apparently Tombstone killed one of her friends in the past. She's hellbent on killing Tombstone but Miles ultimately forces an ultimatum on her hand when he webs himself to Tombstone when she tries to drop him from a high distance. She ultimately relents and the two end up parting on okay terms. Tania plans to stick around in Brooklyn in one of Adrian's safe houses.

On the social end, Miles almost gets in trouble in school when Sean baits him into a confrontation. Drutcher breaks up the fight but basically makes it known that he's looking for any reason to kick Miles out of the school. Miles also ends up breaking up with Barbara after choosing not to tell her what's going on his private life. The issue ends with Miles having found some files in Tombstone's hideout. He goes to confront his uncle Aaron to find out what his connection is to Tombestone.
    end of spoilers
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Justin Ponsor has passed away from cancer, I only knew of him from Miles comic so I posted it here.
    Does anyone know the reason behind his death? He was one of my favorite colorist.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Does anyone know the reason behind his death? He was one of my favorite colorist.
    He was fighting cancer for a few years until his passing. And I'm sure he was still fighting right to the end. I took a look at my comics and TPB's and I'm not at all surprised that most of my favorites have him as the colorist. To say he was a comic coloring genius just doesn't do the man justice.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

spoilers:
    Like it was speculated, Starling's real identity is Tania Toomes, the granddaughter of the Vulture. She had a pretty close relationship with Adrian growing up, as he taught her how to use her tech and fly with the wings. She's come to Brooklyn from Detroit because apparently Tombstone killed one of her friends in the past. She's hellbent on killing Tombstone but Miles ultimately forces an ultimatum on her hand when he webs himself to Tombstone when she tries to drop him from a high distance. She ultimately relents and the two end up parting on okay terms. Tania plans to stick around in Brooklyn in one of Adrian's safe houses.

On the social end, Miles almost gets in trouble in school when Sean baits him into a confrontation. Drutcher breaks up the fight but basically makes it known that he's looking for any reason to kick Miles out of the school. Miles also ends up breaking up with Barbara after choosing not to tell her what's going on his private life. The issue ends with Miles having found some files in Tombstone's hideout. He goes to confront his uncle Aaron to find out what his connection is to Tombestone.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Ok now i want to see a Starling/Beetle (Janice Lincoln) confrontation.
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    spoilers:
    Ok now i want to see a Starling/Beetle (Janice Lincoln) confrontation.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Spider-Villain legacies for the win! Hmm, given that Starling is after Tombstone and Beetle is Tombstone's daughter . . . yeah, that would be an interesting confrontation.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    I'm glad Miles ended things with Barbara. She was becoming too possessive and controlling, always pushing to know what he was doing and what he was hiding/keeping to himself. If he wanted her to know he would have told her. I don't know when it became standard that a superhero had to let everyone know their identity, and if they don't reveal their secret then they're seen as liars. It's no one's business.

So, that was the conclusion of the first arc, what did everyone think? Also what's the general opinion of the run so far, I feel like there hasn't been much discussion about it.
    spoilers:
    I thought it was alright, the solicit for issue seven called it dramatic but I didn't really feel it. It's probably because I never cared about Barbara and feel like it's a little too early to bring Aaron back. I wouldn't say it's bad that Aaron is back, but their last encounter was rather mysterious and heartfelt and for Miles to just show up on his doorstep like he never left felt kinda underwhelming. I really like Starling though, her interactions with Miles are fun and her motivation is cool.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Thoughts on the first arc?

It definitely took a minute to get used to Saladin's more brisk pacing compared to Bendis'. For the most part, I've actually really enjoyed the elements that Saladin has brought to the fold; Miles' school actually has more of a "character" to it rather than just being a glorified backdrop for Miles to have lengthy conversations with Ganke at. As characitures as Drutcher and Sean are, I think they are necessary evils given Miles' background. He's a kid who got into this prestigious academy through what was essentially a handout. And because of both his dad and uncle's background, it would make sense that at least part of the school would have resistance to Miles' presence there.

I like the duality of Miles being more confident in his own skin than he is as a Superhero, it's a nice narrative flip on Peter. I do think that Barbara is kind of the weak link of the intro arc, but I am of the belief that if Miles is really serious about her, it is a side of his life he should share. The problem there is Barbara was so undercooked prior to Saladin taking over, that this next "leap" in their relationship really comes across as forced as a consequence.

I've been a fan of Javier's art, especially during the fight scenes, which have been really creative. I know it's a touchy subject, but I like how the Saladin has avoided falling into the pratfall of the venom blast ending his fights in all the same way.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

We haven't seen the last of Barbara. She'll still be around school after all, and I bet she'll get jealous when Bombshell or Starling are around, proving that she still loves him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I-I just can't get down with the artstyle and what it does to Miles' costume, the front design of his costume is too stretched down and his eyes are too small yet still try to be expressive anyway, it bugs me, which is weird because the very first image of this new run is a nigh perfect looking Miles Morales Spider-Man. Maybe this just what his costume is supposed to be now, but im definitely not down with it.

And Barbara just looks like a different character lol, she was definitely lighter-skinned compared to her look now.

Im fine with the artstyle overall, but in a Spider-Man comic i need my super suit looking on point. Okay rant over.

I'm right there with you on everything you said about the costume, and to add to it the emblem on the back just doesn't measure up to the sleekness of the old one. It looks too clunky for my tastes and is more reminiscent of a tick than a spider to me.

Here's the Miles solicits for August

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #9
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • JAVIER GARRON (A)
    Cover by PATRICK O’KEEFE
    • If Miles is going to escape this new villain, their shadowy masters and diabolical tests, he’ll need help!
    • Good thing his dad’s a former Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.! And there’s no price Jeff wouldn’t pay to get his son back.
    • But the trade may come back to haunt them, as one of the most formidable foes Miles has EVER faced RETURNS!
    • Featuring the last of a series of covers by Into the Spider-Verse art director Patrick O’Keefe!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

ABSOLUTE CARNAGE: MILES MORALES #1 (of 3)
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • Federico Vincentini (A)
    Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
    Codex Variant Cover by EMA LUPACCHINO
    Connecting Variant Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
    Variant Cover by TBA (Virgin Version Also Available)
    Young Guns Variant Cover by JAVIER GARRON
    TARGET: SCORPION!
    It’s business as usual for Miles Morales as he finds himself squaring off with Mac Gargan, A.K.A. THE SCORPION! But as a cult of Carnage’s bloodthirsty acolytes swarms New York, Miles will learn the hard way that Scorpion has a history with Venom and the other symbiotes of the Marvel Universe! If he can survive this issue, that is.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

ABSOLUTE CARNAGE #2 (of 4)
    DONNY CATES (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (A/C)
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    Variant Cover by RON LIM
    Codex Variant Cover by MARCOS MARTIN
    Connecting Variant Cover by TBA
    Cult of Carnage Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA
    Young Guns Variant Cover by MARCO CHECCHETTO
    • After the terrifying conclusion of ABSOLUTE CARNAGE #1, a new player is on the board, and it’s NOT who you’d expect!
    • Barely able to escape with their lives, SPIDER-MAN and VENOM have no choice but to drag a slew of other heroes into Carnage’s crosshairs.
    • Worse yet, Carnage’s rampage through New York City claims an unexpected piece of collateral damage…and there’s NOTHING Venom or anyone can do to stop it!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
    Last edited by Dragonick; 05-23-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Pros of The Series:

Much Stronger Use of Miles Specific supporting cast members. They feel much more fleshed out and feel like a much more important part of the cast then before.

More Street Level/Neighborhood related adventurers. Miles was quickly leaning towards the huge adventurers under Bendis pen where it felt like the Street Level aspect was mostly gone.

Cons of the Series:

The Art Style. This is the most cartoony approach for Miles by far and quite frankly, I'm not feeling it. While the Art use to be what helped make the entire package of Miles Morales with Sara and Dave, now it's just there. Miles Deserves a top tier artist and quite frankly, this guy isn't cutting it for me.

Reduction in Power Usage: One of the things that made Miles different was his wide breath of powers. His camoflauge, his venom blast, his venom web, etc. It's even emphasis when you choose him in video games with lighting punches and etc. Reducing the usage of these elements is like reducing Thor using mjornir and have him just punch everything.

Overall, I give it a solid B. I still definitely prefer Bendis work, and his work on Naomi blows this out of the water. But it gets the job done.

Interview with Ahmed about issue six
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...man-s-brooklyn