Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Relatively late response, but I am in agreement with this, and it seems to be a trend for Miles' overall narrative as Spider-Man of recent, even beyond Saladin's writing. I am not the biggest fan of how it feels like the width and breadth of Miles' power is being downplayed, ignored, or simplified. I agree that these powers are part -- an important part -- of what makes Miles Morales Spider-Man so freaking awesome. To see that's he's been leaning toward the more (stereo)typical superhero style of "just punch it" does make me disheartened towards this new trend.

I've also never been able to vibe with the apparent critique that Miles is somehow "overpowered" and needs to nerfed. In truth, while I try my best not to let it bother me, there are times when I catch myself almost wincing whenever I see that laid out or see others praise Miles being oversimplified and downplaying/ignoring his unique powers. Part of me feels that's from the stigma that's heldover from Miles' earlier, more vocally apparent hate-filled days when he was super-new. Though Miles haters aren't gone, they're much less easily heard, yet I feel the stigma created from that hate lives on in a way, even among Miles' fans.

In other news, I do hope they take the opportunity to get Miles in a Symbiote. And hopefully when they do, it'll have an unique and iconic design befitting of Miles Morales' unique and iconic Spider-Man costume.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I don't know why, but I almost always love Miles and Aaron's interactions with each other. I know someone said they felt it was too soon to see Uncle Aaron again after his last big return, but I'm glad he's still around. Point to Ahmed for still using him.

Kinda sad that he (at least allegedly) has given up his wicked cool Iron Spider armor. I loved that look, in general and on Aaron. Would have liked for him to have held on to it. Not so much for antagonizing his nephew, directly or indirectly, but just because of the possibilities it affords the character. It could allow him to be in Spider-Man's life as one of his life-lines he could call to the front when needed; team-ups and such.

Granted, he should still have that slick Prowler suit of his stashed away. And he did ask Miles if he wanted back-up when they heard that shot, implying he's not afraid to costume-up if need be. Maybe one day.

As for is he's really gone straight, or some Aaron-centric interpretation thereof, that remains to be seen. This is Aaron Davis after all; he does have a way with words and can be super charismatic when he wants to be. That said, I do believe he genuinely loves Miles and is enamored and moved with Miles' commitment to being a Superhero
    I'm in complete agreement with everything you've said, very well put.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about the possible symbiote suit. The design really does have to be iconic, as Miles has almost explicitly been kept away from any situation where he could be exposed to a symbiote. It's also hard because the suits tend to be dark and "simple" in design and Miles' suit is already like that,

If there is a slow creep to lessen his power and/or strength levels I think it's due to the fact that his creator/benefactor is so far removed from Miles. Bendis provided protection of the character's integrity and current writer maybe doing a good job of writing for Miles but the good and bad of it is that other writers now have complete access to him. From that point I have seen him being diluted this started with his inclusion in Champions and has been hit and miss since.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If there is a slow creep to lessen his power and/or strength levels I think it's due to the fact that his creator/benefactor is so far removed from Miles. Bendis provided protection of the character's integrity and current writer maybe doing a good job of writing for Miles but the good and bad of it is that other writers now have complete access to him. From that point I have seen him being diluted this started with his inclusion in Champions and has been hit and miss since.
    I don't read a lot of champions, but whenever I see him interact with the characters, I never like it. Power Man makes a good addition to the team that I think Miles should leave the team. But that's my limited opinion.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I don't read a lot of champions, but whenever I see him interact with the characters, I never like it. Power Man makes a good addition to the team that I think Miles should leave the team. But that's my limited opinion.
    Based on the events of the first arc of the relaunch, that may have just happened. If you mean permanently . . . well, who knows?

That said, I do agree with some of the previous posters that Miles should maintain and even advance his own set of spider-powers. None of that will change or threaten Peter Parker's standing as the original Spider-Man, which to me is where a lot of the Miles hate was coming from. There's room for both of them in the vast tapestry of the Marvel Universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

If only more people believed that.....but you'd be surprised how many people carry the highlander mentality.

On the powers bit, Saladin has done a bit of that, in a recent issue Miles shot his venom blast out his arm like a laser, so thats definitely new. He probably could use his bio-electricity to replicate the clinging ability all over his body, like peter was able to do when he got his powers upgraded.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    If only more people believed that.....but you'd be surprised how many people carry the highlander mentality.

On the powers bit, Saladin has done a bit of that, in a recent issue Miles shot his venom blast out his arm like a laser, so thats definitely new. He probably could use his bio-electricity to replicate the clinging ability all over his body, like peter was able to do when he got his powers upgraded.
    Hmm, definitely, and technically, in the later comics, even before The Other, it was stated, if not demonstrated, that Peter could stick with his entire body, not just his hands and feet. Also, since the wall-crawling ability is based on electrostatic cling in the first place, I could see Miles using his own bioelectricity to "stick" other people to the same surface he's touching, inspired by Mayday Parker's evolved "stick'em powers" in the MC2 Spider-Girl comics.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Based on the events of the first arc of the relaunch, that may have just happened. If you mean permanently . . . well, who knows?

That said, I do agree with some of the previous posters that Miles should maintain and even advance his own set of spider-powers. None of that will change or threaten Peter Parker's standing as the original Spider-Man, which to me is where a lot of the Miles hate was coming from. There's room for both of them in the vast tapestry of the Marvel Universe.
    Both Miles and Amadeus will be back. Cover for issue 8, out in August.

Wasp isn't on the cover, but we know she'll be back in the book too. Nobody's left permanently except for Cyclops.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-16-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Both Miles and Amadeus will be back. Cover for issue 8, out in August.

Wasp isn't on the cover, but we know she'll be back in the book too. Nobody's left permanently except for Cyclops.
    That's almost a shame. I think it's better the he stays in his own book than for him to be smothered by lesser characters in a group book. I caught flack for the suggestion, but I felt Miles should have been the leader of the team in the very least if only to build on the momentum he had when brought from the Ultimate universe.

Spider-Man is always a hard sell for me in a team book.

Incredible Member

That's almost a shame. I think it's better the he stays in his own book than for him to be smothered by lesser characters in a group book. I caught flack for the suggestion, but I felt Miles should have been the leader of the team in the very least if only to build on the momentum he had when brought from the Ultimate universe.
    His friendship with Kamala and Sam are one of the few tangible excuses for him to be in the 616, and him completely leaving the team would definitely affect that.

Let me first begin by stating that without Bendis, Miles probably wouldn't have survive (remember the hate from the first year or so). He shouldered and paved the way for Miles to be as popular has he has become, so he'll always have my respect. But with that said, Bendis in my opinion dialed Miles's power up once he crossed over. Scene's like the first issue when Miles first came to 616 had him take down Blackheart (*Mephisto's son) solo, only helped fueled the hate and the believe that he was overpowered. It was fine whenever Bendis had Miles do feats such as those back in '1610 because it was a contained universe, but once he joined 616 those same crazy feats which may have once been acceptable become subjected to scrutiny. Miles was now playing in a shared universe.

The momentum you mentioned was only being driven by one man, even the big event (civil war 2) that featured Miles was due to Bendis being the writer. Now that Bendis is gone, Miles no longer has the luxuries he once had. What Miles needs now is exposure and I don't just simply mean in cartoons or movies, if writers want him in their books; good. The better his chances are to survive in the long run.
    Last edited by Flashback; 06-16-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Miles is safe for the forseeable future. Into the Spider-Verse saw to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    His friendship with Kamala and Sam are one of the few tangible excuses for him to be in the 616, and him completely leaving the team would definitely affect that.
    Yeah, and they can't recreate that in the Ultimate Universe, as neither of them exist in 1610 - Carol never got her powers and the Nova Corps were never mentioned, so Kamala and Sam's mantles don't even exist there.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-17-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Plus didn't New Jersey get destroyed?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Let me first begin by stating that without Bendis, Miles probably wouldn't have survive (remember the hate from the first year or so). He shouldered and paved the way for Miles to be as popular has he has become, so he'll always have my respect. But with that said, Bendis in my opinion dialed Miles's power up once he crossed over. Scene's like the first issue when Miles first came to 616 had him take down Blackheart (*Mephisto's son) solo, only helped fueled the hate and the believe that he was overpowered. It was fine whenever Bendis had Miles do feats such as those back in '1610 because it was a contained universe, but once he joined 616 those same crazy feats which may have once been acceptable become subjected to scrutiny. Miles was now playing in a shared universe.

The momentum you mentioned was only being driven by one man, even the big event (civil war 2) that featured Miles was due to Bendis being the writer. Now that Bendis is gone, Miles no longer has the luxuries he once had. What Miles needs now is exposure and I don't just simply mean in cartoons or movies, if writers want him in their books; good. The better his chances are to survive in the long run.
    Bendis started increasing his powers before Miles shifted to the main universe.. His fight with Ultimate Doom is where i, a fan, started to dislike it. I'm glad Saladin has done away with it or at least lessen the extent of the new powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Plus didn't New Jersey get destroyed?
    By 616 Galactus, yeah. Which potentially means that Ultimate Kamala is dead.