Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Regarding that change spoilers:
    it seems to repeat territory we've seen before. Spider-Girl had a baby sibling. It's also a bit unusual for a couple with a teenager who has grown up as an only child to have a kid at that stage.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean, my sister and I are about 10 years apart but I guess Miles would still have 7 more years on his possible sibling.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Maybe they had more time to have sex because Jefferson isn't away on SHIELD missions all the time now? In fact, isn't he unemployed?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Enjoyed today's issue. Loved the time Ahmed took catching up with Aaron, Bombshell, and Miles' parents. I get the feeling that Rio's pregnancy is moreso going to be a catalyst for Jefferson to finally come to terms with settling down for a "normal" career. The baby could also be serve a catalyst as reconciliation between the two brothers as well, if Aaron is really serious about wanting to live on the straight and narrow and live up to the standards that Miles has for him.

Definitely would love to see more Bombshell in the future. I like that her crush on Miles is reigned in here and not manic like Bendis had portrayed it as.

Interested in this Doctor Manhatton-esque villain that abducted Miles at the end.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    spoilers:
    It's also a bit unusual for a couple with a teenager who has grown up as an only child to have a kid at that stage.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Perhaps more "uncommon" than "unusual", but it does happen, especially for couples who had their first child while they were actually young like early 20's or something. If you really want an example that'll blow your mind look up the two brothers that created the webcomic, Axe Cop and be absolutely staggered at their age gap.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    spoilers:
    Perhaps more "uncommon" than "unusual", but it does happen, especially for couples who had their first child while they were actually young like early 20's or something. If you really want an example that'll blow your mind look up the two brothers that created the webcomic, Axe Cop and be absolutely staggered at their age gap.
    end of spoilers
    Looked it up, wow...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Definitely would love to see more Bombshell in the future. I like that her crush on Miles is reigned in here and not manic like Bendis had portrayed it as.
    I don't know if she came off as manic under Bendis, but she was definitely really smitten with him (especially after she saw he went after Hammerhead for her).

(Of course, like most of Bendis' final run, he really didn't do much with it in the end).

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if she came off as manic under Bendis, but she was definitely really smitten with him (especially after she saw he went after Hammerhead for her).

(Of course, like most of Bendis' final run, he really didn't do much with it in the end).
    She definitely lit Miles phone up with text messages. It was weird more than anything else since he also had Miles couldn't be bothered with actually setting things straight with her.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Really???

Bumblebee at DC was their first black female heroine. She has done more in DC Super Hero Girls, Young Justice & Teen Titans cartoon in the last 16 years than she has in her entire 47 years in comics. She has even been cosplayed at a major WWE event.
    Where is this ground breaking story that starred HER at Dc? Or her husband? She is not the ONLY one who appeals to outside media but is buried in comics.

Miles Morales's resume

Oscar for best picture Into The Spiderverse. I can stop RIGHT there.
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man (A Marvel YA Novel) A NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER.
    The BEST SELLER for Teens on Amazon. He is outselling every other Marvel and DC book.
    A top seller in CHILDREN'S books for Amazon.
    The second top selling teen on Amazon (top teen male though) (top teen of color) & (at times top Spider person seller)

It's the outside of comics that HELPS way more than being a guest star in a crappy comic.
    But skyvolt everything you mentioned hasn't done anything to help Karen comic wise. What good is all that exposure if it hasn't helped her get a series or even a role as a supporting cast member to the ones that do. Last I've seen her was in one arc of titans. While I can't speak for her fans, if I were in their positions I can't help but think that I would trade all that (exposure) for a simple recurring role in any comic.

The reason I said that its good if other writers are interested in Miles is because it expands his social network and gives him more ties in the '616 universe. Allowing his main writer with more toys to play with that can potentially lead to interesting stories.

Having characters appear outside comics is all nice but if there isn't a comic running concurrently with it then that exposure does little to help.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Enjoyed today's issue. Loved the time Ahmed took catching up with Aaron, Bombshell, and Miles' parents. I get the feeling that Rio's pregnancy is moreso going to be a catalyst for Jefferson to finally come to terms with settling down for a "normal" career. The baby could also be serve a catalyst as reconciliation between the two brothers as well, if Aaron is really serious about wanting to live on the straight and narrow and live up to the standards that Miles has for him.

Interested in this Doctor Manhatton-esque villain that abducted Miles at the end.
    It'd be nice if Ganke realises Miles is missing, and calls Lana. She'd probably try to rescue him in order to impress him, but considering how easily Miles got beaten, that rescue ought to be a Champions mission (she is a member of the team now) - she'd be in over her head alone. I wonder if Starling will show up to help? There'd probably be fireworks if she met Bombshell! Maybe the girls will end up both trying to break him out, while getting in each other's way?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with everything you've said, very well put.

Honestly I'm a little nervous about the possible symbiote suit. The design really does have to be iconic, as Miles has almost explicitly been kept away from any situation where he could be exposed to a symbiote. It's also hard because the suits tend to be dark and "simple" in design and Miles' suit is already like that,
    Thanks. I'm always surprised to find someone else in agreement with such a perspective, especially about both points at once.

And I concur regarding Miles' first Symbiote form. It's almost silly to be this fussed over a comic book character (like I'm some doting parent readying them for their first social gathering or something...) but it has to just be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If there is a slow creep to lessen his power and/or strength levels I think it's due to the fact that his creator/benefactor is so far removed from Miles. Bendis provided protection of the character's integrity and current writer maybe doing a good job of writing for Miles but the good and bad of it is that other writers now have complete access to him. From that point I have seen him being diluted this started with his inclusion in Champions and has been hit and miss since.
    Though I realized this to some extent (leo had pointed out the whole thing with writers who aren't Bendis not knowing how to write Miles as a functional introvert and so write him as uncharacteristically extroverted instead), but I guess I had yet to really come to the realization that Bendis isn't at Marvel anymore. Miles and his character and story and life and narrative are entirely free open range at this point. Bendis did cement Miles as part of the Marvel canon such that he won't be vanishing into its depths, but beyond that, a lot could still happen to him. This includes down playing or overwriting some of the things that are notable, relevant, or iconic to his being (his demeanor, his personality, his powers, and even his looks; real talk, the current emphasis on individual fashion among the kids at the school is nothing except a good thing, and yet I... am surprised to see how much Miles, not any of the others but just Miles, has begun caring about his looks and being fashion and trend conscious, when beforehand that didn't feel like an aspect of teenager-dom that was important or relevant to him as a person, beyond simply looking presentable in general).

It's kinda inevitable, but I'm still processing the present. And some of the changes I still don't really care for, particularly the fundamental ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    If only more people believed that.....but you'd be surprised how many people carry the highlander mentality.

On the powers bit, Saladin has done a bit of that, in a recent issue Miles shot his venom blast out his arm like a laser, so thats definitely new. He probably could use his bio-electricity to replicate the clinging ability all over his body, like peter was able to do when he got his powers upgraded.
    The "highlander" mentality is unfortunate, and almost never makes any sense when and as it tends to be presented.

Expanding the versatility is cool, I agree; the projectile Venom Blast was pretty cool and genius. And your thinking on logical evolutions of Miles' powers makes sense.

That said, Saladin does still seem to fall into it otherwise; I'm still waiting for the organic webbing to be used again, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    His friendship with Kamala and Sam are one of the few tangible excuses for him to be in the 616, and him completely leaving the team would definitely affect that.
    I agree with this, and feel it still holds true despite Sam getting the short end of the stick lately.

Astonishing Member

Also...

spoilers:
    I know I'm probably letting myself get swept up in the hype far too easily and quickly, since Babies in mainstream comics don't equate babies in real life or other media, but I'm hyped Miles is getting a little sibling!
    end of spoilers

Here are the September solicits

ABSOLUTE CARNAGE: MILES MORALES #2 (of 3)
    SALADIN AHMED (W)
    FEDERICO VINCENTINI (A)
    Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
    Codex Variant Cover by TBA
    Connecting Variant Cover
    by DAVID NAKAYAMA
    CONSUMED BY CARNAGE!
    • Miles sacrificed himself protecting others, and was taken by Carnage’s dark doppelgangers!
    • Now Kletus is sending Miles after one of Peter Parker’s friends, and if Miles can’t stop himself, he better hope someone shows up who can beat a dark symbiote-powered Spider-Man!

So it looks like symbiote suit confirmed. I hope that's not it on the cover because that's a bit of a let down.

CHAMPIONS #9
    JIM ZUB (W) • STEVEN CUMMINGS (A)
    Cover by KIM JACINTO
    • Who has betrayed the Champions, and who can they trust?
    • Miles Morales returns, but will it be in time to save his friends?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Miles makes his return to Champions

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #10
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • JAVIER GARRON (A) • Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    VARIANT COVER BY JAVIER GARRON
    VARIANT COVER BY ED MCGUINNESS
    IMMORTAL WRAPAROUND VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    SPIDER-SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL OR BIG 250th ANNIVERSARY ISSUE?
    That’s right, it’s our 250th issue and it’s Miles Morales’ birthday! But YOU’RE getting all the gifts! A mystery dating back to Miles’ first appearance? Answered! A terrifying villain destined to become one of Miles’ greatest adversaries? Revealed! Special guests, like maybe Peter Parker: Spider-Man? YOU KNOW IT! All busting out of 25 pages by main series storytellers Saladin Ahmed and Javier Garrón, PLUS a bonus back-up by Ahmed and a special guest artist delving into the history of your new favorite character, STARLING! Your FOMO is well-founded! DON’T MISS IT!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

Big issue and some Starling backstory. I really hope the mystery is the whole Oz formula immortality thing, that's the only mystery I can think of that I'm interested in.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 06-20-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Incredible Member

Well the Oz immortality wasn't really a thing during Miles' first appearance, literally speaking at least. Something i can think, of(but i admit is a LOOOOOONG shot) Aaron picks up like a red wedding ring holder thingy that glows like the suitcase from Pulp Fiction, and this is when the spider gets into Aaron's belongings and to Miles. And Miles then points the red thingy out before Aaron takes it and says its for "work", right before Miles is bit by the Spider, we never found out what that Red thing was and can easily be used for anything Saladin can think of, and is literally from Miles' first appearance.

Unless they are referring to Ultimate Fallout #4, in which case i got nothing rofl
    Last edited by Nerwrax15; 06-20-2019 at 07:39 PM.

I would love to see Saladin touch on the whole "immortality" Oz formula thing from Miles' past. Especially since Ultimate Green Goblin will be making a return as part of his growing rogues gallery. Maybe that's a reason the new villain Ultimatum is coming after our boy.

The part I liked the most of the last issue was, after his parents made the reveal, he asks "What? How did this happen?" He may be a big superhero, he may have saved the world and other worlds, but it seems he still needs to hear a thing or two about the birds and the bees.