Page 67 of 93 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1392
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I'm still not a fan of any new powers given to a character who is never shown using the ones he has now to the full extent. I'm probably just going to continue to be dreading the return of the electric webs unless Ahmed is able to write an something utilizing them that makes me think "wow that was really cool. I'm so glad that Miles has those powers".

I’m curious as to what your idea of the full extent of his camouflage and venom blast would be beyond what we have been shown.

What I meant was that writers never do anything clever with Miles power set. Remember how Miles used to just run up to villains and take them down with a single venom strike? Shouldn't the natural follow up to that be him trying that only for the guy to be immune; forcing Miles to be clever and take the guy out some other way. Why does Miles ever let villains see him? He should constantly be hidden. Then they introduce a new villain who can sense him despite his camouflage. They could also force him into a situation where he needs to be seen; he could be acting as a distraction or he could be doing it to comfort some civilian he's in the process of rescuing. Writers should write scenarios based upon what the hero can do and create challenges for them based on what they can and can't do.

Just giving your hero power ups to help escape from any hardship is just lazy and undermines him since he seemingly can't do anything without getting lucky. If they do give the hero new powers it should tie into character development or be used as a catalyst for some new story. The Venom blast, super venom blast, and the electric webs aren't that; they're cheap power ups given to Miles out of nowhere to make his life and battles easier. Unless Ahmed writes something phenomenal with these new powers that makes me feel like they're worth it I'll continue to complain about them and how they undermine him as a character.

Spectacular Member

That’s not so much doing something interesting with his power set as it is finding ways for villains to overcome it. There are villains who have been unaffected or barely effected by it. Ultimate Task Master, Armadillo, Rhino and Scorpion spring to mind. That power isn’t actually venom so it would be odd for them to develop and immunity.

It would be weird/creepy to see a villain intentionally shocking themselves to build a fortitude to withstand that ability.

You also say his Venom Blast based powers are too OP but then say villains should never see him. That would be a bit OP. I think his camouflage is fine the way he uses it. My only gripe with that power is why he doesn’t use it on his face/himself when some is going to unmask him. Seems like it would be an easy fix.

His camouflage can also easily be overcome by any character with an enhanced sense of smell or thermal goggles. It won’t hide his heat signature.

I think his abilities WORK fine as they are but they do need adjustments to HOW MUCH he can use them.

The Super Venom blast pretty much takes him out of the fight, too. Except the first time he used it in the Ultimate Universe.

I’ve always been of the mind that Miles should have had organic webbing how much he could use would still be limited by things like his nutrition and how much sleep he was getting. He could have even used different hand gestures to produce different kinds of silk/web.
    Last edited by SpiderX; 09-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.

The camo isn't even that great apparently since he tried it on Tombstone twice and he still found him.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    The camo isn't even that great apparently since he tried it on Tombstone twice and he still found him.
    Mostly because Tombstone could still hear him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX View Post
    That’s not so much doing something interesting with his power set as it is finding ways for villains to overcome it. There are villains who have been unaffected or barely effected by it. Ultimate Task Master, Armadillo, Rhino and Scorpion spring to mind. That power isn’t actually venom so it would be odd for them to develop and immunity.
    Of course a part of it is finding ways for villains to overcome it. Why wouldn't I want the hero to have actual challenges to overcome as opposed to steamrolling the opposition because they literally can't figure out how to fight him; there's no entertainment value in a string of one sided fights.

It would be weird/creepy to see a villain intentionally shocking themselves to build a fortitude to withstand that ability.
    So? They're supposed to be villains so them doing disturbing things isn't too much a stretch. I never even said they needed to do something like this just that Miles should have enemies that counter his abilities.
    You also say his Venom Blast based powers are too OP but then say villains should never see him. That would be a bit OP. I think his camouflage is fine the way he uses it. My only gripe with that power is why he doesn’t use it on his face/himself when some is going to unmask him. Seems like it would be an easy fix.
    My problem isn't with powers being OP; it's with Miles getting power ups to get out of hard situations rather than the writers writing scenarios where he can struggle and still overcome based entirely on his own merits.
    His camouflage can also easily be overcome by any character with an enhanced sense of smell or thermal goggles. It won’t hide his heat signature.
    That would be fine if Miles fought villains who did these things. Of course this would also only be effective if Miles actually used his camouflage in effective ways instead of using it for stealth for like a minute and then forgetting he has it.

I think his abilities WORK fine as they are but they do need adjustments to HOW MUCH he can use them.
    My entire argument is that his base power set is fine and they should stop adding crap instead of better utilizing what already there.

The Super Venom blast pretty much takes him out of the fight, too. Except the first time he used it in the Ultimate Universe.
    The super venom blast is what Ahmed called the friggin' lighting bolts Miles shoots out his hands now. The normal one is the explosion Bendis made up. Why the hell can SPIDER-MAN shoot bolts of electricity like he's Electro?

I’ve always been of the mind that Miles should have had organic webbing how much he could use would still be limited by things like his nutrition and how much sleep he was getting. He could have even used different hand gestures to produce different kinds of silk/web.
    Those things hardly matter unless writers actually write scenarios in which they matter. It wouldn't be any different than what we have now where the web fluid issue only became an issue when Bendis and Ahmed brought it up and the solution to this issue is a cheap, lazy power up that doesn't develop Miles as a character but power creeps him for no reason.

Huh? The venom blast has always been bioelectric. Jessica Drew has a similar ability.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh? The venom blast has always been bioelectric. Jessica Drew has a similar ability.
    This. Bendis likes Jessica Drew so I’m sure it was a nod to her. Hers were projectile based from the beginning.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    What I meant was that writers never do anything clever with Miles power set. Remember how Miles used to just run up to villains and take them down with a single venom strike? Shouldn't the natural follow up to that be him trying that only for the guy to be immune; forcing Miles to be clever and take the guy out some other way. Why does Miles ever let villains see him? He should constantly be hidden. Then they introduce a new villain who can sense him despite his camouflage. They could also force him into a situation where he needs to be seen; he could be acting as a distraction or he could be doing it to comfort some civilian he's in the process of rescuing. Writers should write scenarios based upon what the hero can do and create challenges for them based on what they can and can't do.

Just giving your hero power ups to help escape from any hardship is just lazy and undermines him since he seemingly can't do anything without getting lucky. If they do give the hero new powers it should tie into character development or be used as a catalyst for some new story. The Venom blast, super venom blast, and the electric webs aren't that; they're cheap power ups given to Miles out of nowhere to make his life and battles easier. Unless Ahmed writes something phenomenal with these new powers that makes me feel like they're worth it I'll continue to complain about them and how they undermine him as a character.
    Sorry, I mistook this at you being unhappy with his base power set.

Been looking into the artist that's going to be handling the #3 issue of Spider-Verse that will have Peni Parker in it. The artists name is, Dike Ruan and after seeing his work, I think we have a future Marvel Young Gun in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Been looking into the artist that's going to be handling the #3 issue of Spider-Verse that will have Peni Parker in it. The artists name is, Dike Ruan and after seeing his work, I think we have a future Marvel Young Gun in the making.

Reminds me a lot of Sara Pichelli. Fitting for the issue they'll be doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Reminds me a lot of Sara Pichelli. Fitting for the issue they'll be doing...
    Yeah like Sara Pichelli / Olivier Coipel hybrid or something. I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 09-24-2019 at 10:38 AM.

This is some quality art, I hope they get to do more stuff.

I doubt anybody will be surprised by this, but issue #10 (aka the big legacy issue #250) of Miles' series has gone to second printing. Let's see how long it takes for it to get to third and fourth. And if it can even go further.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So since I'm a nocturnal bug, I went ahead and read Absolute Carnage #2 tie-in. Fairly solid, but straightforward issue. Interesting thing is the letters column actually addressed the elephant in the room of Aaron taking back the Prowler mantle. In it, it was addressed that Hobie is actually more or less retired from heroics now that he has an actual white-collar gig.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.