Page 46 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Now that you mention it you're not wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Am I crazy or is Miles getting more belligerent under Ahmed?
    I've notice it, too. It's part of the whole personality shift. It feels like introverted Miles, particularly under Bendis, wouldn't be so... stereotypically "tough-guy"-ing while captured like he is in the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I've notice it, too. It's part of the whole personality shift. It feels like introverted Miles, particularly under Bendis, wouldn't be so... stereotypically "tough-guy"-ing while captured like he is in the preview.

I think Miles, given the circumstances, is rightly confused, scarred, and angry due to the current predicament he finds himself in. But 13 year old miles would probably react to the situation differently than the current 17, soon to be 18, year old Miles. It’s also feels like a way to express how he’s developing more as a young adult hero.

In any case something like this was bound to happen when Miles received a new main writer, but so far I am loving how Saladin Ahmed is portraying his character. He gives Miles more swagger that’s akin to his movie version.[/
    Last edited by Grimm911; 07-08-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    In any case something like this was bound to happen when Miles received a new main writer, but so far I am loving how Saladin Ahmed is portraying his character. He gives Miles more swagger that’s akin to his movie version.[/
    I think the movie basically killed the idea of Miles as an introvert to be honest.

Heck, I can't think of an adaption where he really came off like one other then early USM.

Thank God if there has been some progression on Miles personality. I think that he is finally sounding like a young man growing into his own. I'm loving it as opposed to the hyper passive Gentle from the X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I think Miles, given the circumstances, is rightly confused, scarred, and angry due to the current predicament he finds himself in. But 13 year old miles would probably react to the situation differently than the current 17, soon to be 18, year old Miles. It’s also feels like a way to express how he’s developing more as a young adult hero.

Just noting the difference in his reaction here compared to when he was captured and held prisoner near the end of his Ultimate Universe run. Here, it feels more "stereotypically hero-ey" (best way I can convey my feelings, even if it comes off making it sound dirty). Then, it felt more like he was simply telling them hard truths (hard even for Miles himself), as opposed to the obligatory (and ineffectual) banter-threats they come off as here.

And although age and experiences can change demeanor, in Miles' case, it still kind of goes with the notion that "there's no such things as healthy, sociable, functioning introverts" and/or "introverts are just extroverts in the making who haven't 'matured' enough yet", or thereabouts. It's just an observation, and one I never really was aware of prior to leo619's pointing it out himself awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Thank God if there has been some progression on Miles personality. I think that he is finally sounding like a young man growing into his own. I'm loving it as opposed to the hyper passive Gentle from the X-Men.
    It's definitely a change and more overtly action-y, not that he wasn't action-y beforehand, of course. Nothing wrong with a passive nature, strictly speaking, though Miles was never really passive once he started hero-ing (by nature, not the most passive of activities; that plus introverted ≠ passive in and of itself).
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.

A warning for anyone that read's Miles' stuff with a young reader tomorrow's issue is supposed to be intense
    a fatherly heads up to those guiding young readers: tomorrow's issue of MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN is atypically dark and scary. still T/PG-13, but while they're intentionally not graphic, there *are* scenes that border on torture. might want to preview for your 12& under readers.
    from Ahmed
    https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/sta...04537273561089

Not gonna lie this definitely has me interested.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

An issue like this has been something I've been waiting for Miles to face for a long time. Depending if Saladin can stick the landing, I can definitely see this becoming Miles' "If This Be My Destiny" moment.

Not to bash on Bendis or beat a dead horse, but when the stakes always got too high and Miles was backed into a corner, he'd always just "Super Venom Blast" his way out of the problem and it was always anti-climatic. I'm glad Saladin is actually showing restraint here because it's giving the situation Miles is in that much more dramatic weight. I'm legit on edge how he's going to break himself out of this situation.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    An issue like this has been something I've been waiting for Miles to face for a long time. Depending if Saladin can stick the landing, I can definitely see this becoming Miles' "If This Be My Destiny" moment.

Not to bash on Bendis or beat a dead horse, but when the stakes always got too high and Miles was backed into a corner, he'd always just "Super Venom Blast" his way out of the problem and it was always anti-climatic. I'm glad Saladin is actually showing restraint here because it's giving the situation Miles is in that much more dramatic weight. I'm legit on edge how he's going to break himself out of this situation.

I agree 100%. Especially after that last page. Good issue.
    After reading Priest's run on Black Panther, I can truly said I've learned nothing, but I remember everything!
    I'm back from the Djailia!
    Since D9 exists in the MU, T'challa is definitely an Alpha! (Don't Debate me)

spoilers:
    No joke, what hit me hardest in the issue is when the villain, The Assessor tells a trapped Miles to his face, in the most pragmatic cold fashion possible, that not only is he not meant to survive any of these trials, but even if he does all that means is a quick death and the promise that the entity will "recommend" to its employers/organization to not go after his friends, and family afterwards. Then we get that huge montage double spread of all the horrifying %@#$ they're forcing our boy to go through (again no joke, Saladin really meant it when he mentioned viewer discretion is advised) and the only thing keeping him from breaking is that knowledge that he is the only wall keeping these @#$@%$ from going after his people. I remember saying earlier in the year that the Marvel writers are about to put our boy through the gauntlet both emotional and the physical. And my naïve self though that Champions arc with Mephisto was going to be the true gut punch of the year for Miles. Now I know better. Great issue, lets root for our boy to get out of this in one piece!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Grimm911; 07-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Agreed, it's one of the main issues I have with the current writer. Under Bendis, he was written as one of the few passive, introverted heroes left in the comic book universe. But often that's considered unappealing and unattractive and even worse, many writers can't write it. I was afraid when bendis left that he would revert to more of an extravert and sadly that is appearing to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

And the one time Venom Blast wouldn't have worked, due to being outnumbered 6 to 2 (Miles and Bombshell vs the Sinister Six) what does he do? Deus ex machina, courtesy of the Champions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hi i'm new to the forums. I've been reading the new series and was pretty optimistic at the start, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with everything so far. I like Miles, but I struggle to feel invested in any of his love interests or his parents having a new baby. I also wished we could drop the whole ultimate universe deal and keep the story more grounded (well, about as grounded as super hero comics can be).

They haven’t even started dealing with the Ultimate Universe stuff yet, but I doubt it’ll get super cosmic-y. Plus, it’s something that desperately needs some clarification. The love interests, supporting casts, and becoming an older brother figure is all helping him be as grounded to the teen Spidey archetype as possible. I’m enjoying the ride and love Saladin has for developing not only Miles but his connectivity to his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Hi i'm new to the forums. I've been reading the new series and was pretty optimistic at the start, but I've been pretty underwhelmed with everything so far. I like Miles, but I struggle to feel invested in any of his love interests or his parents having a new baby. I also wished we could drop the whole ultimate universe deal and keep the story more grounded (well, about as grounded as super hero comics can be).
    I agree with you on the love interest aspect, but that portion of Miles' life is still well into early development under Saladin so I'll wait and see how it goes. The new baby angle will only has me interested right now, but the investment to that story angle will only come to true fruition when it's born and we'll get to actually see how Miles interacts with his baby sibling and how he grows into being a big brother.

As for finally getting around to addressing the Ultimate universe refugee angle, this was a long time coming and a major missed opportunity by Bendis when he was still writing for Miles. I can understand not wanting to focus on it in the beginning after his transfer into the 616, but I was hoping it would addressed eventually. The Spider-Men II event was just a very poor attempt at that and really under delivered what it promised.