Mighty Member

Default Spider-Man 1962 to now and Spider eyes

1. I'm curious what aspects of Spider-Man that Stan Lee started with him are still relevant today as far as characterization/development and story arcs?

2. When did Spidey get the big eyes with the mask? Was that when Todd Macfarlane was drawing him in the 90s? I'm glad to see his mask went back to the smaller eyes in recent years. It's a classic look and I always liked that look.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    1. I'm curious what aspects of Spider-Man that Stan Lee started with him are still relevant today as far as characterization/development and story arcs?
    It's Lee AND Ditko. The original Spider-Man was a co-creation between Lee and Ditko with Ditko doing most of the heavy lifting in storytelling and art.

In essence I would say that the actual Spider-Man in those stories, a character who grows, changes, learns, who spends most of his time with adults and so on...is not relevant as far as 616 Continuity post-2008 goes.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    2. When did Spidey get the big eyes with the mask? Was that when Todd Macfarlane was drawing him in the 90s? I'm glad to see his mask went back to the smaller eyes in recent years. It's a classic look and I always liked that look.
    I suspect it started with the black suit since it's original appearance does have the eyes being fully white making the eyes appear larger. My suspicion is that the eye didn't actually change but was just them forgoing the border on the eyes seeing as the costume was already black.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's Lee AND Ditko. The original Spider-Man was a co-creation between Lee and Ditko with Ditko doing most of the heavy lifting in storytelling and art.

In essence I would say that the actual Spider-Man in those stories, a character who grows, changes, learns, who spends most of his time with adults and so on...is not relevant as far as 616 Continuity post-2008 goes.
    Yes, I forgot to mention Ditko was a key part until he left after issue 39 because he and Lee weren't talking. So basically you're saying a character that was created to change and grow over time for the past 11 almost 12 years has remained static like the Garfield newspaper strip. That sounds awfully boring and unbelievable. We had Brand New Day Superior Spider-Man Spider-Verse, need I go on? The character that was introduced in 1962 and the character that is seen today and has undgergrown growth and changes like living up to his responsibility Gwen Stacy, marrying MJ, losing his marriage. And as far as hanging with adults? Lets see, Avengers, Aunt May, the Daily Bugle Staff....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I suspect it started with the black suit since it's original appearance does have the eyes being fully white making the eyes appear larger. My suspicion is that the eye didn't actually change but was just them forgoing the border on the eyes seeing as the costume was already black.
    Those eyes were big. However I think MacFarlane is the one generally considered to be the artist who introduced the "bug-eyed" look. Those things, including thd border, were massive and take up a good portion of the mask.

I absolutely love the more dramatic bug eye look of Spider-Man. I’m pretty sure Todd kind of got the ball rolling with that. To me though no one does the eyes better then a prime Bagley during his ASM run in the 90’s.