Page 15 of 93 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think with Into the Spider-Verse it could go both ways.

Miles is now more popular then ever thanks to ITSV, so on that level alone it would make sense to introduce him into the MCU, but at the same time the ITSV film is his film where he's the main, leading, character and headlining what looks to be becoming it's own franchise at this point. Something that would probably not be true if he were to be introduced into the MCU as things currently stand.

So I think there is less of an incentive to include him in the MCU then there would have been without Into the Spider-Verse. But that's just my take on it.
    True, that might be the case; but with all the constant fan demand to have him appear in the MCU, the planting of Easter eggs alluding to his appearance, and how Tom Holland gets all excited and almost can't keep his mouth shut every time some journalist asks about the possibly of Peter and Miles teaming up in a movie, I can't help but feel its inevitable.

But you're right, with the runaway success of Spider-Verse, Sony may want to postpone that inevitability. Really though I think it ultimately comes down to what Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are able to hash out when its time to renew their Spider-Man MCU deal.

Astonishing Member

I think it works better in the comics where the characters with the same codenames generally don't need to be in the same scene or place as the other character they're sharing a codename with because they have their own book and adventures.
    It is easier for certain, but again it's not a problem. I have 3 people in my team with the same name, and 2 people on my team with share a different name, no one was asked to change their name (nor should they have to.)

The same applies here, and especially with Miles now in the mainstream universe (where his story was essentially about how anyone can be spider man,) they should/need to keep the same naming convention if they want to build upon the momentum that sony started.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    I'm not too sure about the specifics of the current Sony/Marvel deal but I believe that while Marvel Studios has creative control of Spider-Man while he appears in the MCU the box office revenue goes directly to Sony while Marvel gets the revenue from the merchandising.

And of course this can all change going forward when the two studios work out any details for renewing the deal when Spidey's third MCU solo film gets released.

So even when Marvel Studios decides to introduce Miles into the MCU proper (only a matter of time and planning now thanks to, "Into The Spider-Verse") its still going to equal big bank for both Sony and Marvel.
    I forgot about that portion, and don't get me wrong, while I'm 95% certain that he will be brought into the MCU, I do feel that Sony may be a bit more protective Miles due to him not having so much of his stories told. After all, Ned being brought into homecoming is what cause Ganke's role in Into the Spider Verse to be reduced. So I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want Marvel to steal anymore from Miles (be it upcoming villains or plotlines) in case they themselves want to introduce it in the sequel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I forgot about that portion, and don't get me wrong, while I'm 95% certain that he will be brought into the MCU, I do feel that Sony may be a bit more protective Miles due to him not having so much of his stories told. After all, Ned being brought into homecoming is what cause Ganke's role in Into the Spider Verse to be reduced. So I'm pretty sure Sony doesn't want Marvel to steal anymore from Miles (be it upcoming villains or plotlines) in case they themselves want to introduce it in the sequel, etc.
    Now that protective notion I can get behind fully.

It is easier for certain, but again it's not a problem. I have 3 people in my team with the same name, and 2 people on my team with share a different name, no one was asked to change their name (nor should they have to.)
    Again, I don't think something that is more common in real life is as practical in fiction where characters and their codenames are intended to be more distinctive.

Like, it's a staple for villains to yell out "Spider-Man!?" whenever Spider-Man swings into the scene but that doesn't work as well when there is more then one Spider-Man in that area, or at least it means people are referring to one instead of both.

It's the same problem the cartoon has had in incorporating Miles.
    The same applies here, and especially with Miles now in the mainstream universe (where his story was essentially about how anyone can be spider man,) they should/need to keep the same naming convention if they want to build upon the momentum that sony started.
    Yeah, that's Miles' story as Spider-Man, which isn't something I think they can apply to the MCU because I don't see them approaching it like Into the Spider-Verse did. At best they would handle Miles like the PS4 game did, which was basically a re-imagining of Miles' character concept.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly, Miles in a MCU is a pretty simple task IMHO. Set it during Peter's senior year. Just make Donald Glover the Prowler and one of the villains of the third film. By fleshing out Aaron's character, we are introduced to his family, his nephew Miles who is his Morality Pet and a Spider-Man fan, and his strained relationship with his brother. Since the MCU films have been using the lesser known villains, have him get caught up in the middle of a gang war with Tombstone as the big bad. You can even have Miles transferring to Peter's school to mirror Miles' own story from the comics and ITSV.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Again, I don't think something that is more common in real life is as practical in fiction where characters and their codenames are intended to be more distinctive.

Like, it's a staple for villains to yell out "Spider-Man!?" whenever Spider-Man swings into the scene but that doesn't work as well when there is more then one Spider-Man in that area, or at least it means people are referring to one instead of both.

It's the same problem the cartoon has had in incorporating Miles.

Yeah, that's Miles' story as Spider-Man, which isn't something I think they can apply to the MCU because I don't see them approaching it like Into the Spider-Verse did. At best they would handle Miles like the PS4 game did, which was basically a re-imagining of Miles' character concept.

Except the practicality is not the only focus that's associated with Miles, and that's the entire point. Is it impractical for someone to have the same name in real life? Of course, there's no difference between that and in a comic. Just like you can have an issue villain calling out someone's codename and three people can turn around, so can someone have the same issue calling out a name and three people can turn around in their cube.

But at the end of the day, that code name, just like this person's name, is their identity. And again, that was what into the spider verse was about. Now I definitely don't expect them to take the same role as into the spider verse, but as mentioned earlier, the entire process and point of the movie was to say that anyone can be spider man. The backlash that marvel would receive for trying to change the characters name when one of his biggest successes was the fact that multiple people can be named spider man is going to cause nothing but blowback in their face. Especially with the MCU's more advance push for diversity.

So will the practicality of MCU having two characters with the same name be reduced? Certainly, but the practicality is MUCH less important then the identity of Miles representing that he too can and should be named spider man, as that is a core aspect of Miles and what he represents. While many other legacy heroes has had their name changed, Miles have kept it due to this reason, and I'm 95% sure Marvel will respect that.
    Last edited by leo619; 03-13-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Except the practicality is not the only focus that's associated with Miles, and that's the entire point. Is it impractical for someone to have the same name in real life? Of course, there's no difference between that and in a comic. Just like you can have an issue villain calling out someone's codename and three people can turn around, so can someone have the same issue calling out a name and three people can turn around in their cube.
    That feels like a gag that you could probably only pull off once .
    But at the end of the day, that code name, just like this person's name, is their identity. And again, that was what into the spider verse was about. Now I definitely don't expect them to take the same role as into the spider verse, but as mentioned earlier, the entire process and point of the movie was to say that anyone can be spider man. The backlash that marvel would receive for trying to change the characters name when one of his biggest successes was the fact that multiple people can be named spider man is going to cause nothing but blowback in their face. Especially with the MCU's more advance push for diversity.

So will the practicality of MCU having two characters with the same name be reduced? Certainly, but the practicality is MUCH less important then the identity of Miles representing that he too can and should be named spider man, as that is a core aspect of Miles and what he represents. While many other legacy heroes has had their name changed, Miles have kept it due to this reason, and I'm 95% sure Marvel will respect that.
    I'm not arguing how important the Spider-Man identity and what it means is for Miles. I know how important it is for him to be Spider-Man and make that identity his own, as well as the message that anyone can be Spider-Man.

I just think that's easier to pull off in something where Miles is the lead character, and it's about him as a legacy hero, then it would be in the MCU unless they kill Tom Holland's Peter off.

Like, MCU Monica Rambeau is not going to grow up and be Captain Marvel alongside Carol Danvers.

Yeah - Monica will probably be Spectrum, her current comics codename.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I'm not arguing how important the Spider-Man identity and what it means is for Miles. I know how important it is for him to be Spider-Man and make that identity his own, as well as the message that anyone can be Spider-Man.

I just think that's easier to pull off in something where Miles is the lead character, and it's about him as a legacy hero, then it would be in the MCU unless they kill Tom Holland's Peter off.

Like, MCU Monica Rambeau is not going to grow up and be Captain Marvel alongside Carol Danvers.
    Oh I'm not in disagreement there. I definitely believe it's easier if Miles is the lead character for certain. But where I disagree with is that it has to be specifically that way in order to succeed. I believe it's not only doable, it's can be done actually well.

Monica is different since her powers isn't entirely based around Captain Marvel like Spider Man is. Hence why she was so willing to concede the name once someone more related to the original captain marvel showed up.

So for characters like Monica or Amadeus Cho, I don't see them using the legacy mantle as much since a lot of their super heroic identity is based outside
    of the legacy Mantle.

But if Jane Foster's Thor was to enter the MCU, I would definitely expect them to use the codename Thor. Though with Jane Foster it maybe easier if Chris does leave after avengers end game.

Spy-D is coming!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Preview for Issue #4 is out.

And with a few pages Judge already has way more characterization than he's had before lol.

Ganke isn't tagging along with the trio because he got an ear infection.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 03-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Preview for Issue #4 is out.

And with a few pages Judge already has way more characterization than he's had before lol.

Ganke isn't tagging along with the trio because he got an ear infection.
    He's certainly more...enthusiastic .

Lyle feels too cartoonish next to all these fairly believable and relatively down-to-Earth teens. Is he supposed to be Miles' Jameson?

This issue has been described as like the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off - so Lyle is meant to be like Dean Edward R Rooney from that film.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

He's certainly more...enthusiastic .

Lyle feels too cartoonish next to all these fairly believable and relatively down-to-Earth teens. Is he supposed to be Miles' Jameson?
    Yeah, he feels like a bit much. And he does feel like a Jameson attempt which imo isn't really needed.