Page 47 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And the one time Venom Blast wouldn't have worked, due to being outnumbered 6 to 2 (Miles and Bombshell vs the Sinister Six) what does he do? Deus ex machina, courtesy of the Champions.
    I wouldn't call it that, right before the scene switches from Miles, he says he can't do it alone, which just barely scrapes by as alluding to getting his Champions teammates to help, as well as explaning how Miles even got from New York to Latveria in the first place lol.

dissapointing? maybe. wrong Champions team for the time? totally. but not a Deus Ex Machina.

I don't have a problem with developing Miles' supporting cast. I just feel like something is off about the execution of these events. We didn't even really get to know Barbara, his parents having another kid seems weird when Miles is nearly 18, and as for the ultimate universe your right; those are just my personal biases. I'm just wary of them straying from street level heroics and trying to make Miles into some large scale dimension hopping character who shoots lightning bolts rather than just Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I don't have a problem with developing Miles' supporting cast. I just feel like something is off about the execution of these events. We didn't even really get to know Barbara, his parents having another kid seems weird when Miles is nearly 18, and as for the ultimate universe your right; those are just my personal biases. I'm just wary of them straying from street level heroics and trying to make Miles into some large scale dimension hopping character who shoots lightning bolts rather than just Spider-man.
    I understand you're concern's about Miles straying from his street level cred. But don't worry though I've read and listened to Saladin's interviews on the series before it premiered and he was very adamant on wanting the series to be sort of a "back to basics" approach to Miles, re-focusing him more as a street level hero. If the Ultimate universe thing still has you worried though I recommend reading Saladin's Black Bolt series. It's a full on cosmic story that somehow relates to street level real world problems. And it even has the Absorbing Man as a major supporting character (for those who don't know Crusher Creel (The Absorbing Man is a long stay street level super villain in the 616). Basically what I'm saying is Saladin is the kind of writer who loves adding a bit of the bizarre or sci-fi in street level/urban stories. His independent series Abott is a great example of what I'm talking about, having to deal with supernatural murders during the racial tensions during the 1970's in Detroit.

Here's a interview about how he wanted to tackle Mile's series and him as a character during New York Comic Con last year.

The Barbra character was really a remnant of Bendis' time with the book and she came about right near the end of his time with Marvel so she never really received the kind of character development she needed to stay as a consistent love interest. Honestly its a miracle Saladin kept her around for so long and he easily fleshed her out as a character far more than Bendis did.

And you'd be surprised how common it is for some couples in real life to have a second child somewhat late in the teen life of their first. Especially if the older child is away from home so often.

If you ever heard of the web comic that became a cartoon show on the FX channel called Axe Cop you would be shocked to find out the web comic series was created by two brothers when the oldest one was 29 and the younger brother was (no joke) 5 years old. Not sure if this counts as an extreme example or not but yeah Miles getting a younger sibling when he's about to become 18 is actually pretty natural given the circumstances of how much alone time his parents have had over the years with him only coming home from school on weekends.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 07-10-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful about the future of the run. I just needed to vent since I felt like the Tombstone story was pretty flaccid and the current issue had me worried it was just set up for Ultimate universe stuff. I never bothered looking into Ahmed's other work or interviews so I'll just wait to see how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    I wouldn't call it that, right before the scene switches from Miles, he says he can't do it alone, which just barely scrapes by as alluding to getting his Champions teammates to help, as well as explaning how Miles even got from New York to Latveria in the first place lol.

dissapointing? maybe. wrong Champions team for the time? totally. but not a Deus Ex Machina.
    I agree, not to mention going into a fight against six people with only one person as backup seems foolhardy to put it nicely.

Anyway Assessor seems foreboding, this is one of those times that solicits could have stood to be a bit more vague concerning future issues.

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful about the future of the run. I just needed to vent since I felt like the Tombstone story was pretty flaccid and the current issue had me worried it was just set up for Ultimate universe stuff. I never bothered looking into Ahmed's other work or interviews so I'll just wait to see how things turn out.
    No problem, trust me I and a lot of other Miles fans in this thread went through a lot of what you’re going through during the twilight months when Bendis was winding down on his time with Marvel. A lot of future plots he tried to seed in the character ended up going nowhere and most times the book just read like Bendis just wasn’t putting much effort into the story anymore. That’s why when Saladin took over he was such a breath of fresh air for the character and supporting cast. I’m certainly not saying his way of writing Miles is for everyone, but as far as my thoughts go, he is putting his full effort in building up Miles’ own mythology as Spider-Man without disrespecting or throwing away the good blocks Bendis had laid out in the past. Not everything he does will be to your or my liking I’m sure, but so far he has provided the shot many of us needed to get reinvested in the character. Here’s hoping that shot will find its way to you soon as the story goes on, and I’m glad to know another Miles reader is along for the ride.
    Last edited by Grimm911; 07-10-2019 at 07:16 PM.

I don't think we've seen the last of Barbara. When Miles was being threatened in the latest issue, he was concerned for his "fam", his "people". We saw his parents, Uncle Aaron, Ganke, Judge, his teachers, Peter Parker, Ms. Marvel... and Barbara.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Miles being a new big brother happens in real life.

We just don’t see it on shows or in books as much.

Modern family, blackish, 7th Heaven and even momma’s family did it,
    Married with children almost did it before Katy segal lost her first baby.

If we were in real time Franklin would be way older than Valeria in fantastic four.

Astonishing Member

This has been mentioned before, but I really do not see what is weird or strange by a 17-going-on-18-year old person having one or multiple sibling being born into their family. It is extremely common, even without teen pregnancies being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think we've seen the last of Barbara. When Miles was being threatened in the latest issue, he was concerned for his "fam", his "people". We saw his parents, Uncle Aaron, Ganke, Judge, his teachers, Peter Parker, Ms. Marvel... and Barbara.
    An aside, but the lack of Sam being among his noted fam kinda stung. Still kinda does.

On the flip-side, it is nice to see Judge back in Miles' good graces. Kinda wish Fabio was still among his friend-circle, 'cause I've actually been missing him.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-13-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Question: Once Secret Wars end and Miles is in the Prime universe, which comic follos after that? Adjetiveless Spider-Man by Bendis and Pichelli can't be it, he is already an Avenger, he already knows Ms. Marvel... clearly I'm missing something there

First arc of All New All Different Avengers takes place before the solo (as well as Kamala's and Sam's), as that's where the Champions founder trio first meet.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    An aside, but the lack of Sam being among his noted fam kinda stung. Still kinda does.
    You have to wonder if it's intentional how little love Sam gets .

I have a question. Every issue of Miles' new book since December have gone on to sell out and require 2nd or 3rd printings. And while I know that printed sales figures for comics usually only concern Brick and Mortar comic shops and not the entire market as a whole, I was always in the mind that you would have to sell at least 100,000 printings in order to get a 2nd one. Is that not the case? Does anyone know the answer to this? I ask because the published sales numbers for Miles new series does not match what I thought one would need for multiple printings. The books still doing great obviously, and for good reason. But I'm trying to get a better picture on how multiple printings actually work after a comic series sells out of the 1st one.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Extra printings just mean that whatever the store's initial order number was for the book was not enough, it doesn't have to hit a specific benchmark in sales for it to undergo a new printnig.

I'd say that so far, since every issue of Miles' book has gotten at least a second printing is a good sign, even with it's relatively modest sales figures.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Extra printings just mean that whatever the store's initial order number was for the book was not enough, it doesn't have to hit a specific benchmark in sales for it to undergo a new printnig.

I'd say that so far, since every issue of Miles' book has gotten at least a second printing is a good sign, even with it's relatively modest sales figures.

Ok now that makes sense to me, thanks for the explanation. Guess the stores are going to have to up their order numbers eventually.