Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Janet Van Dyne: The Winsome Wasp Appreciation 2019

Appreciation thread for;

JANET VAN DYNE aka. The Winsome Wasp: Founding Member and a Leader of the Avengers.

First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #44
    Created By: Created by Stan Lee, Ernie Hart and Jack Kirby, the character first appeared in Tales to Astonish #44.
    Powers: Size Manipulation (Shrinking and Growing), Flight (With Organic Wings), Bio-Electric Blasts, Superhuman Strength, Insect Telepathy

Official Power Grid Ratings for the Wasp: (out of 7)
    Durability - 2
    Energy - 4
    Fighting Skills - 4
    Intelligence - 3
    Speed - 3
    Strength - 5

Affiliations: Avengers, Secret Avengers, Lady Liberators, Avengers Unity Squad, Pym Labs, G.I.R.L., West Coast Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Defenders

Currently Appearing In:
    - Tony Stark: Iron Man
    - Avengers
    - Unstoppable Wasp

Ultimate Reading Guide for The Wasp:

https://twitter.com/xavoIina/status/1013859730186330113

Gaming Appearances:
    - Captain America and The Avengers (NPC)
    - Marvel: Avengers Alliance
    - Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2
    - Disney Infinity 2.0 (NPC)
    - Marvel Heroes Omega (NPC)
    - Marvel Mighty Heroes
    - Marvel Future Fight
    - Marvel Puzzle Quest
    - Marvel Avengers Academy
    - Marvel Tsum Tsum
    - Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    - Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2
    - Lego Marvel's Avengers
    - Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers: Ultimate Heroes
    - Marvel War of Heroes
    - Marvel Battle Lines
    - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Animation Apparances:
    - Ultimate Avengers 1 (Movie)
    - Ultimate Avengers 2 (Movie)
    - Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow (Movie Cameo)
    - Avengers United They Stand (13 Episodes)
    - Superhero Squad Show (3 Episodes)
    - Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes (45 Episodes)
    - Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers (51 Episodes)
    - Marvel Future Avengers (39 Episodes)
    - X-Men: The Animated Series (Cameo)
    - The Marvel Super Heroes (Unknown Number of Episodes)

- She is played by Michelle Pfeiffer and Hayley Lovitt in Marvel Cinematic Universe. She has appeared in 'Ant-Man' and 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'. She is slated to appear in 'Avengers: Endgame'

Last edited by Captain M; 09-01-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Happy new year to the fabulous Janet Van Dyne .

Last edited by Captain M; 01-01-2019 at 12:04 PM.

I have a question... why are so many appreciation threads closed? (including Jan's)
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Whitley on Twitter:

I also love that Janet has a traditionally dumb male superhero origin - somebody important to her was killed by a villain, so she decided she needed to bring is killer to justice...by allowing her father's former lab partner to give her genetic mutations.
    First off, that's basically the same origin story as Pym (somebody important to him as killed by a villain, and so on) so thank you for the "dumb" origin comment. I think that fighting for our loved ones is never dumb and probably the best reason to fight, but that's just me. Secondly, Pym was never Janet's father "former lab partner". They had never worked with each other, had never met before literally the day before he got killed. And it was not genetic mutations per se, cells were grafted onto her. No DNA manipulation was involved. Hence, no mutation.

I know continuity is pretty much a relic of ancient times with newer Marvel writers these days, but I would have hoped that some knew better.

Having said that, I think that the fact that Janet decided to continue to fight the good fight and avenge the wrongs done to others even after her father was avenged and the creature from Kosmos was killed speaks a lot about her character. She was a great character then, and she is still great today. If only people weren't writing her so "first-degree"...

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Whitley on Twitter:

First off, that's basically the same origin story as Pym (somebody important to him as killed by a villain, and so on) so thank you for the "dumb" origin comment. I think that fighting for our loved ones is never dumb and probably the best reason to fight, but that's just me. Secondly, Pym was never Janet's father "former lab partner". They had never worked with each other, had never met before literally the day before he got killed.
    He's talking about the revised origin from Avengers Origins where Hank met the Van Dynes before his solo Ant-Man career started. And he's not saying the motives behind classic superhero origins are dumb, he's saying the methods are. Which they are, because they were fantasy comics.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Janet had a good run as chairwoman of the Avengers. Some of the best Avengers stories.

She was great in Avengers Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He's talking about the revised origin from Avengers Origins where Hank met the Van Dynes before his solo Ant-Man career started. And he's not saying the motives behind classic superhero origins are dumb, he's saying the methods are. Which they are, because they were fantasy comics.
    But this isn't canon...

I'm sorry, I'm probably too much of a sucker for continuity and canon. And I love Jan, but I don't like Whitley's writing so I'm probably biased negatively.

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Were they lab partners in that story, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Janet had a good run as chairwoman of the Avengers. Some of the best Avengers stories.

She was great in Avengers Forever.
    Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek both did a really great job with Janet in those stories .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Were they lab partners in that story, though?
    No. I can't recall a single issue, canon or revisited, where Hank and Vernon actually worked together. The closest they came was sharing a meal and exchanging ideas, if I remember correctly. And again, not canon in 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek both did a really great job with Janet in those stories .
    Janet was simply amazing in those days! She had grown from the feisty, inexperienced "side-kick" to the accomplished and tri-dimentional great leader. And you know the best part? Nowhere was it mentioned that she was good "even for a woman". She was doing her job as leader and Avenger, and that was it. Preach by example is the best way to go.

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I have a question... why are so many appreciation threads closed? (including Jan's)
    Same reason they were a few months ago, I guess. To stop them getting to hundreds of pages. Maybe the admins plan to do this every January 1st from now on? I bet most of the links on my Appreciation Thread Indexes need to be updated now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Roger Stern is the greatest writer to ever write Janet. His character arc for her during his Avengers run cemented her as my favorite Marvel character of all time. I wish we’d have a writer who had that same passion for Janet working for Marvel now.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Hmm....

spoilers:
    Co-parenting? Ying doesn't have a known surname, right? Probably never had one before coming to America, just like Nadia. Would she become a Morse? It's either that or Van Dyne. She ought to have the same immigration problem Nadia had, right?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hmm....

spoilers:
    Co-parenting? Ying doesn't have a known surname, right? Probably never had one before coming to America, just like Nadia. Would she become a Morse? It's either that or Van Dyne. She ought to have the same immigration problem Nadia had, right?
    end of spoilers
    I think it's more in the symbolic then legal sense.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I opened my Marvel Comics Year in a Box 2019 calendar today, and the first day is .... The Wasp!

Happy New Years, Wasp fans.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?