Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So you're happy that Janet's involved, but found a different reason to complain. Fair enough. Deadpool is definitely a Marmite character.
    I mean Janet being in AOW 5 isn't a surprise. We already knew that? I'm not sure why I should be happy overall? She is in 5 and 6. We'll see about 7 and 8. And we'll see if there is a 9.

Regardless having Deadpool involved isn't good for any character's panel-time. I'm not reaching here. It's Deadpool. He's there to grab some new readers. He'll be featured decently and take the time that could have gone to any Agent like Jan.

I'll stop complaining when Marvel starts using Janet again properly
    Last edited by Captain M; 12-28-2019 at 10:35 AM.

The red suit is kind of growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The red suit is kind of growing on me.
    I like it :P I'm glad it wasn't a coloring mistake.

I do think it's time for a costume change though!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Literally how are negative attitudes a reason for low sales? I buy books with money not words. I don't have a "why bother" attitude. I'm literally buying every issue of this book. That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge that it's about to be cancelled.
    I wasn't trying to suggest that YOU personally aren't supporting the book - I'm sorry if it came across that way. I know well enough that you'll support any title that Jan is appearing in. It was intended as a general statement -- lots of books don't get the support they need to survive because readers just assume the book will be cancelled anyway, so they don't bother. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I do think saying "its about to be cancelled" is needlessly pessimistic though. Its certainly true that it may be cancelled soon. But as things stand right now, the book is still going. I'd just prefer to be hopeful and enjoy Janet's appearances here as long as we get them, rather than write her off as limbo bound.

In 2019 she was an ongoing cast member in 3 separate titles. She may not be getting as much spotlight as we might prefer, but I think we have to acknowledge that she's doing better than a lot of other characters out there.

Ultimate Member

I like it :P I'm glad it wasn't a coloring mistake.

I do think it's time for a costume change though!
    I loved in the eighties when she'd have a different costume every couple of issues, as an Avenger. It would be neat to see that played up somewhere else, with some new character like Ms. Marvel debut a new outfit and name-drop that 'Ms. Van Dyne designed it' or something, or to find out that she's behind one of the FF's new costume schemes (sort of the 'Edna Mode' of the Marvel Universe).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I loved in the eighties when she'd have a different costume every couple of issues, as an Avenger. It would be neat to see that played up somewhere else, with some new character like Ms. Marvel debut a new outfit and name-drop that 'Ms. Van Dyne designed it' or something, or to find out that she's behind one of the FF's new costume schemes (sort of the 'Edna Mode' of the Marvel Universe).
    Yeah, I do miss Jan's revolving closet door of costumes, and I liked that the trait was passed to Jocasta (who shares her brain patterns) in Dan Slott's MIGHTY AVENGERS when she had multiple different bodies she could transfer her mind into, each with a different design.

We don't get to see as much of Jan playing Edna Mode to the rest of the Marvel Universe as we used to these days, but it is something that comes up now and then. She's designed the costumes for a few other Marvel heroes. Plus we see Karolina Dean wearing the Van Dyne line of civilian clothes sometimes in RUNAWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I wasn't trying to suggest that YOU personally aren't supporting the book - I'm sorry if it came across that way. I know well enough that you'll support any title that Jan is appearing in. It was intended as a general statement -- lots of books don't get the support they need to survive because readers just assume the book will be cancelled anyway, so they don't bother. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I do think saying "its about to be cancelled" is needlessly pessimistic though. Its certainly true that it may be cancelled soon. But as things stand right now, the book is still going. I'd just prefer to be hopeful and enjoy Janet's appearances here as long as we get them, rather than write her off as limbo bound.

In 2019 she was an ongoing cast member in 3 separate titles. She may not be getting as much spotlight as we might prefer, but I think we have to acknowledge that she's doing better than a lot of other characters out there.
    It's important to note that she was just a supporting character for the title hero in TSIM and TUW. I was just glad she was in something so I said nothing but positive things all year. But now that those are gone too, it's crazy that Marvel won't let Janet to be in Avengers or event books imo. From where I stand, I see that they don't want to give her a big role and push her in any way, don't you agree? The mindset with Janet from the editorial is "where can we tag her along for now?"

AOW is a fun book but it's fundementally broken when it makes no sense for Janet to be a part of it when Avengers is there. Right there. Why would she be working with Avengers and not be an Avenger, that is such a downgrade. A founder, a chairwoman, heart of the team and she hasn't been in the avengers for 1.5 decades and is now demoted. Remarkable
    Last edited by Captain M; 12-29-2019 at 01:30 AM.

This wouldn't be an issue if there was more than one Avengers team. She was in Uncanny Avengers for most of it's run.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This wouldn't be an issue if there was more than one Avengers team. She was in Uncanny Avengers for most of it's run.
    I would be fine with that as long as it's not just her being in the background but she really needs to be in the main team. (Wanda too) it's been, what, 15 years? How is anyone taking priority over them in the main team relaunch after relaunch no matter the movie synergy... It's the most ridiculous thing going on with marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yeah, I do miss Jan's revolving closet door of costumes, and I liked that the trait was passed to Jocasta (who shares her brain patterns) in Dan Slott's MIGHTY AVENGERS when she had multiple different bodies she could transfer her mind into, each with a different design.

We don't get to see as much of Jan playing Edna Mode to the rest of the Marvel Universe as we used to these days, but it is something that comes up now and then. She's designed the costumes for a few other Marvel heroes. Plus we see Karolina Dean wearing the Van Dyne line of civilian clothes sometimes in RUNAWAYS.
    The only artist I could really see pull off the alternating costumes on a daily basis is Kris Anka.

Jan playing Edna Mode is in the past. The editorial and the creative teams need to care enough to have her guest star in a book for her to actually interact with other characters. And they don't unfortunately

Gosh, do you guys remember how close Jan and Jennifer used to be?

Yeah, Jan may have had time for that decades ago when she was ONLY a superhero and a fashion designer, but she now owns Pym Labs as well, Hank's business. Nadia's GIRL is a subsidiary of it. She's probably mainly working on the financial side nowadays rather than designing the clothes herself, which would certainly explain why she's changed her costume a lot less often than she used to in recent years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jan playing Edna Mode is in the past. The editorial and the creative teams need to care enough to have her guest star in a book for her to actually interact with other characters. And they don't unfortunately

Gosh, do you guys remember how close Jan and Jennifer used to be?
    When was the last time Janet and Carol talked?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When was the last time Janet and Carol talked?
    Avengers Assemble by Kelly Sue Deconnick maybe? If not then Bendis's last Avengers issue. Carol is everywhere but Janet's the opposite so.. :/ ayy, Janet used to appear in event books too. Different times.

And while that's a great headcanon, her actual reason of less frequent costume change is because once again, she is just not used a lot. If different creative teams kept handling her year after year, we'd see more costume changes. If she were to recieve a solo for example, or a place in Avengers, she'd debut with a new costume. It just doesn't happen when she pretty much only guest stars. The color change is something though.