Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The FIRST female leader of the Avengers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    ..here are some old entries from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe:

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 12 (December 1983)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 14 (January 1987)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition No. 20 (July 1992)
    WONDERFUL entries regarding the first female Avenger who actually named the team 'Avengers".
    Thanks for sharing MajorHoy

BANNED

Tales to Astonish #52 Feb 1964
    Not What They Seem!
    The Wasp

tells the tale of prison escapees

who try to avoid a planet with a trap, but are doomed when they take the wrong side in a battle of the sexes.

Script by Stan Lee and Larry Lieber art by Larry Lieber and George Roussos [as G. Bell]

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But her MCU counterpart is an old (albeit still stunning and active) old lady who's probably not going to be suiting up much moving forward.

This was probably always become an issue when they made Hope the MCU Wasp. She's going to get most of the promotion as Wasp moving forward.
    That's a bit difficult, when she doesn't technically exist in the comics. Like I said, Nadia is Hope's counterpart - but they really have very little in common. Nadia is two decades younger, is adopted instead of being Janet's birth daughter, has a completely different origin, Hank's not around, and obviously, that first name, which is apparently a coincidental translation match. She wasn't actually a synergy attempt, they just wanted to add another teen to the ANAD Avengers.

Anyway, at the very least, they shouldn't be assigning Janet's stuff to Hope. If they want to push Hope, release stuff that shows her actual costumes from the MCU and cartoons.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Finally some cool news.

Janet ranked 5th

Janet only appeared at the end of Unstoppable Wasp 5 but guys that was a magnificent issue, please read it, it was so well written! It deals with Nadia's bipolarity.

In May she'll appear in Iron Man 12, Unstoppable Wasp 7-8 and I think she might appear in Avengers 20 too based on the solicitations and where the issue takes place. We'll see if she pops up in war of realms

UWU goes harder than most HBO dramas
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I loved that Janet's original suit was used in the last issue of Unstoppable Wasp. The issue itself was amazing, it does a great job of portraying mental health issues and bipolar. It also shows how awful Marvel has been at portraying Hank's bipolar.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I have a gripe about Unstoppable Wasp #5, and it's related to the timeline. When listing Nadia's friends, some of the Champions were listed, including Hulk and Nova. But Hulk is now Brawn and Nova is depowered. And yes, those did already happen - we know because Riri's already appeared in UW with her new armor. Are GIRL unaware of the events of World War Hulk II and Infinity Countdown?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I have a gripe about Unstoppable Wasp #5, and it's related to the timeline. When listing Nadia's friends, some of the Champions were listed, including Hulk and Nova. But Hulk is now Brawn and Nova is depowered. And yes, those did already happen - we know because Riri's already appeared in UW with her new armor. Are GIRL unaware of the events of World War Hulk II and Infinity Countdown?
    I think that's just a continuity error. An editor should have spotted it.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Speaking of Nadia, does she have a 2019 appreciation thread?

mawfucka still green
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Speaking of Nadia, does she have a 2019 appreciation thread?
    Not that I've seen.

Not that I've seen.
    I went ahead and made one (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...18#post4216118)

If there is one already, I'm sure a mod can lock my one and highlight the one that was already created.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I loved that Janet's original suit was used in the last issue of Unstoppable Wasp. The issue itself was amazing, it does a great job of portraying mental health issues and bipolar. It also shows how awful Marvel has been at portraying Hank's bipolar.
    I don't think Marvel has been that bad at portraying it. Re-reading old Avengers issues, it's pretty obvious now in hindsight, although it was never stated being a manic episode or that Hank was bipolar. I got back to my old issues after Humphries dropped the diagnosis in Avengers A.I. and showed it to a psychologist friend of mine (not a comic book fan). She said it was pretty obvious.

It has been very good though at portraying characters not caring or giving a damn about someone who was clearly in need of help though. It's even more painful now that we see all the support Nadia is getting, for pretty much the exact same situation. Double-standards, or evolution of the mentality surrounding mental illness, or feeling of guilt? Or a bit of all?

That being said, I must say that the two last issues of UW gave me a more "grown-up" vibe about the comic book and the writer himself. For the first time I saw the potential for a real good read. Still don't like how a lot of things have been handled story-wise, but suddenly this book doesn't feel like such a kiddie's book anymore. And I think that's a good thing.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I don't think Marvel has been that bad at portraying it. Re-reading old Avengers issues, it's pretty obvious now in hindsight, although it was never stated being a manic episode or that Hank was bipolar. I got back to my old issues after Humphries dropped the diagnosis in Avengers A.I. and showed it to a psychologist friend of mine (not a comic book fan). She said it was pretty obvious.

It has been very good though at portraying characters not caring or giving a damn about someone who was clearly in need of help though. It's even more painful now that we see all the support Nadia is getting, for pretty much the exact same situation. Double-standards, or evolution of the mentality surrounding mental illness, or feeling of guilt? Or a bit of all?

That being said, I must say that the two last issues of UW gave me a more "grown-up" vibe about the comic book and the writer himself. For the first time I saw the potential for a real good read. Still don't like how a lot of things have been handled story-wise, but suddenly this book doesn't feel like such a kiddie's book anymore. And I think that's a good thing.
    That's true. I think I worded my original comment badly.

I think the seriousness of the topic is why these issues feel more "grown-up". The writer also worked with experts in mental health when writing the last two issues, and I think that helped.