Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I still think wolverine was ment to end with Laura wearing the costume but was changed in to old man cash grab zero issue.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    If you have any interest in reading early stuff here's the timeline.

Attachment 75975
    Thank you! So what makes the skippable stuff... skippable?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Thank you! So what makes the skippable stuff... skippable?
    Nothing of important, never referenced again, all new xmen vol2 was garbage and designed to make fans hate her

Quote Originally Posted by jhack53 View Post
    this is like the third or fourth character marvel has introduced or reconfigured in the last few years to be kids raised in captivity and forced to be a killer/ do bad things and are now turning there lives around. yet not once does someone point out Laura has gone through this a long time ago and say oh yeah sure you can change your life around just look at Laura.
    Comics series tend to be kinda isolated from each other. I could also see the case being made that it's more interesting to tell the story where the character in question has to find the answer for themselves rather then just being told: "Hey, other people have done it before." Also, how well-known is Laura and her story to the public in the first place? Obviously there are people in the superhero community who know and she was getting some good publicity for her role in the "Immune" story arc from All-New Wolverine, but is it common knowledge that she was human weapon who managed to beat the odds?

Quote Originally Posted by jhack53 View Post
    ...who was born and raised in a lab suffering physical and psychological damage from very abusive people and other traumas after she escapes and dispite this she has turned her life around and is one of the most stable people in marvel, at least in my opinion.
    Yeah, it is kinda funny that for arguably having one of the worst upbringings possible and the entire deck stacked against her, she does seem more balanced in some ways then characters who had stable upbringings. While I suspect that real world reasons have to do with chance and what writers were interested in, it has occurred to me that she is a superhero who seems to have a life outside of the capes and tights gig. She has a family she's involved with and has made friends outside of work, so to speak (or has personal friends rather then friendly coworkers, if that makes any sense). It kinda reminds me a bit like Spider-Man (who'd be my candidate for best adjusted superhero), where the heroing is important, but not the only thing their life revolves around (like how it seems to be for Iron Man, Captain America, Batman, and others). I wouldn't say that having a defined personal life automatically qualifies a character for being well-adjusted (Hawkeye had a whole series devoted his personal life, his friendship with Kate Bishop is clearly more then just superhero master/Padawan situation, etc., and his life is clearly a mess he struggles with day in and day out), but I wonder if that lends itself to creating a character who's more grounded?

Recently finished reading All New Wolverine, never been a huge X or Wolverine fan (That's starting to change of course) but really enjoyed the series! I felt like the final issues dipped in quality though and Taylor didn't really know how to end the series.
    Yeah, I found the "Old Woman Laura" story a bit of a letdown. Since the series was canceled, I wonder if it was supposed to be the finale or just another story arc that accidentally became the last word of this batch of adventures.

Orphans of X was my favorite arc.
    That one was really good. I think the "Four Sisters" + the Squirrel Girl crossover is my favorite and I think that I like "Enemy of the State II" more then others, but "Orphans of X" probably was the high water mark.

Looking forward to reading the new series. I suppose I consider myself a fan of the character now.
    If you liked All-New Wolverine, I think the current X-23 series captures the tone of it pretty well. IMHO, it feels like a continuation more then a new start.

Already picked up the first trade of X-Men Red mainly cause of Laura and Gabby.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Ignore that heap of crap called Wolverines.
    I thought it was okay, but I will concede that it's a series where the parts are greater then the whole.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Tieing back to a comment gabby made about being locked in a wasing machine, would anyone fault Laura if she did it for some quite time...

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I found the "Old Woman Laura" story a bit of a letdown. Since the series was canceled, I wonder if it was supposed to be the finale or just another story arc that accidentally became the last word of this batch of adventures.
    I liked the whole concept of it and enjoyed seeing an "updated" take on the Old Man Logan universe but it just didn't felt like a proper ending. The previous two stories also felt like filler too.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I liked the whole concept of it and enjoyed seeing an "updated" take on the Old Man Logan universe but it just didn't felt like a proper ending. The previous two stories also felt like filler too.
    I'm kinda the same way. To me OWL seemed almost like a set up for the next phase of Taylor's run on ANW. It felt like an intermission not a finale. I honestly thought the next arc was going to be some kind of time travel story where Queen Laura comes back in search of a cure of her cell degeneration.

I'm still curious to see the how and why Laura became Queen of Madripoor.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The levels of jobbing at the end of Wolverines is why I ended up disliking it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    It was in Daken's will after he died for the 616th time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I'm kinda the same way. To me OWL seemed almost like a set up for the next phase of Taylor's run on ANW. It felt like an intermission not a finale.
    Yeah.

I honestly thought the next arc was going to be some kind of time travel story where Queen Laura comes back in search of a cure of her cell degeneration.
    Maybe.

I honestly see it as a non-canon what if, so I guess I'm not too bothered by the questions about what lead up to stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I was reading that deadiliest X force member article...when did they retcon Laura into being Wolverine's daughter instead of a clone?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    I was reading that deadiliest X force member article...when did they retcon Laura into being Wolverine's daughter instead of a clone?
    There was a non-sequitur declaration at the end of the "Adamantium Agenda" stating she was genetically 50% Sarah Kinney, something completely at odds with every facet of her creation as depicted in her origin story in "Innocence Lost" to which there has been no explanation given or promised leaving her current status up to debate, plugging the minor plot hole about eye color, and leaving a plot fissure as now that entire narrative ceases to make sense.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 01-06-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

LMAO. "Addendum Agenda".

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    There was a non-sequitur declaration at the end of the "Addendum Agenda" stating she was genetically 50% Sarah Kinney, something completely at odds with every facet of her creation as depicted in her origin story in "Innocence Lost" to which there has been no explain given or promised leaving her current status up to debate, plugging the minor plot hole about eye color, and leaving a plot fissure as now that entire narrative ceases to make sense.
    Regardless of how you feel about that "reveal", I'm sure we can all agree that Marvel seems to have a serious problem lately with bringing up potential plot threads like this, but then completely ignoring them.

BANNED

I liked the concept for three reasons. 1 it was polar opposite of OML, Taylor didn't make Laura a lush stuck in the desert drinking her life away. And 2. I found the portrayal in concert with which she was developed and written. A highly shrewd, responsible character who will fight to the end. She's the kind of character who is built for leadership and I can see her stepping up to the plate and taking charge when needed. I also saw her as a character who would do something positive with her life after he miserable childhood and the death of her mother. 3. She was leader in both an executive and physical capacity. She ran a city state yet also went on missions.

I've been very vocal about Taylor's treatment of Laura Kinney. But the finale of ANW really impressed me a lot and I ended up buying, after having dropped the book after the first arc.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-06-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    Regardless of how you feel about that "reveal", I'm sure we can all agree that Marvel seems to have a serious problem lately with bringing up potential plot threads like this, but then completely ignoring them.
    Sadly they did reference it in a article for dissambles. It changed to she dosent know if she is his daughter or not. And if I'm right it's going to turn in to a rip off of batman vs death stroke bandit will end ambiguously with Logan saying shes his daughter no matter what. However I say we take tamaki's approach to this, we have no dam idea what's going on and ignore it.