Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1104
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Laura fans, which do you think was the worst Laura.

Laura in All New X-men by Bendis

Laura in All New X-men v2 by Hopeless

Laura in Disassembled by Thompson, Brisson and Rosenberg

Laura in Fallen Angels by Hill
    FA Laura and hopeless are tied for now, but FA Laura will most likely soon be worse

Bendis has the advantage of coming before at least some of the stories that tried to grow Laura as a character. FA stings so much because of what came immediately before.

lmao this is where they left laura off.

Laura in X-23 v4 by Mariko Tamaki

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm appalled to find myself considering that Bendis was the BEST on this list. Generic teen dialogue and hamfisting her into the relationship with Warren aside, Bendis's Laura was at least more or less recognizable AS Laura.
    At least with Bendis you could tweak her dialogue, Hopeless Laura was just an entirely different character... Pretty sure she was a clone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Bendis has the advantage of coming before at least some of the stories that tried to grow Laura as a character. FA stings so much because of what came immediately before.
    Exactly, she's regressed. I don't think Hill has read All-New Wolverine or Tamaki's X-23, as he's ignoring them. As well as the outdated characterisation, Gabby isn't mentioned - as though she doesn't exist. Bendis gets a pass as he was before Taylor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

lmao this is where they left laura off.
    Oh God, this is the characterization Hill continues....

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Exactly, she's regressed. I don't think Hill has read All-New Wolverine or Tamaki's X-23, as he's ignoring them. As well as the outdated characterisation, Gabby isn't mentioned - as though she doesn't exist. Bendis gets a pass as he was before Taylor.
    it really feels like he didn't read ANW and X-23, and I'm still baffled that the editors greenlit this characterization. They really don't care about Laura since Logan came back...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It was still inreconcilablly at odds with established characterization and development.

Regressed is inaccurate, these were not her problems at any point.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    it really feels like he didn't read ANW and X-23, and I'm still baffled that the editors greenlit this characterization. They really don't care about Laura since Logan came back...
    it really seems like with Logan coming back X-office doesn't give a damn about Laura

Paniccia at least cared about Laura, too bad he is gone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    It was still inreconcilablly at odds with established characterization and development.
    Her dialogue, certainly. But at least the things she DID, like her dislike of being touched, (which I've got to credit Bendis for being one of the few writers that remembered and making use of that symptom of abuse) her breakdown over learning about the origin of mutants in that waste hole that is the Ultimate Universe, (given her own origins it certainly would hit a nerve) and even how she responded to Tyke.

Astonishing Member

Well in good comic news All new wolverine made comic beats top 100 of the decade
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-100-b...of-the-decade/

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Her dialogue, certainly. But at least the things she DID, like her dislike of being touched, (which I've got to credit Bendis for being one of the few writers that remembered and making use of that symptom of abuse) her breakdown over learning about the origin of mutants in that waste hole that is the Ultimate Universe, (given her own origins it certainly would hit a nerve) and even how she responded to Tyke.
    Speaking of good and bad characterisation... Ambaryerno your fic probably has the best Laura in a fanfic I’ve seen to date, I’d nominate you to write her in a heartbeat.

And yeah Bendis did seem to have some inkling of her story and trauma... I just think he has trouble writing those introverted characters and writing Laura, who is kind of difficult to achieve balance with dialogue wise wasn’t a great combination.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ThreatLevel-X View Post
    Speaking of good and bad characterisation... Ambaryerno your fic probably has the best Laura in a fanfic I’ve seen to date, I’d nominate you to write her in a heartbeat.

And yeah Bendis did seem to have some inkling of her story and trauma... I just think he has trouble writing those introverted characters and writing Laura, who is kind of difficult to achieve balance with dialogue wise wasn’t a great combination.
    Thanks. It would let me do my, "Laura and Hellion reunite on a sexy James Bond Spy Mission" idea.

Hopeless’s Laura in ANXM was hands down the worst. It seemed like he was writing her in the most inflammatory way possible to spite her fans. It felt like he was doing it on purpose to be mean spirited. It’s the only logical explanation because in no universe do I see a writer thinking THAT was a good idea. It downright diminished her character in every way possible.

Bendis’s Laura is unforgivable because the way he wrote her set a precedent that she still can’t get away from. With Bendis teenifying her, that tossed out her mannerisms that KYost and Liu established and Gage continued. It helped set the template that Taylor, Tamaki, and yes even Hopeless and pretty much every other writer that have butchered her since. She’s become a much less compelling and unique character thanks to the teenification of Bendis.

Hill’s Laura mostly suffers from a dumbing down of her abilities and the forced student relationship with Kwannon, along with the dumb “tame your rage” lessons. While it ignores prior characterization and feels patronizing and absurd, it’s less ridiculous than Hopeless and isnÂ’t likely to irrevocably damage her character like Bendis. It’ll likely end up being a forgotten foot note in her history.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 12-13-2019 at 12:31 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Hopeless’s Laura in ANXM was hands down the worst. It seemed like he was writing her in the most inflammatory way possible to spite her fans. It felt like he was doing it on purpose to be mean spirited. It’s the only logical explanation because in no universe do I see a writer thinking THAT was a good idea. It downright diminished her character in every way possible.

Bendis’s Laura is unforgivable because the way he wrote her set a precedent that she still can’t get away from. With Bendis teenifying her, that tossed out her mannerisms that KYost and Liu established and Gage continued. It helped set the template that Taylor, Tamaki, and yes even Hopeless and pretty much every other writer that have butchered her since. She’s become a much less compelling and unique character thanks to the teenification of Bendis.

Hill’s Laura mostly suffers from a dumbing down of her abilities and the forced student relationship with Kwannon, along with the dumb “tame your rage” lessons. While it ignores prior characterization and feels patronizing and absurd, it’s less ridiculous than Hopeless and isnÂ’t likely to irrevocably damage her character like Bendis. It’ll likely end up being a forgotten foot note in her history.
    Can’t help but agree with you on this... Taylor’s run has been the best (imo) since Bendis but Laura still feels... off to me there.