Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I've said before and I'll say again, the mishandling of Laura began even BEFORE ANW, by never letting us actually see the moment when Laura took on the Wolverine cowl, or even made the circumstances matter.

IE, I'd have used Secret Wars to do it. Wolverines set up that Destiny saw the multiverse couldn't survive without Wolverine. So make Laura one of the survivors of the Incursions, and she takes on the Wolverine name right before fulfilling whatever purpose Destiny foresaw for Logan. You have a neat prophecy twist: Destiny saw Wolverine doing something to save the Multiverse...she just got wrong WHICH Wolverine. And you make Laura taking up the cowl become a high-profile moment by putting it at the climax of a major event. It would have made for a great narrative, and may have silenced some of the backlash resulting from Marvel just tossing her into the cowl after a time skip by making it feel more "earned."

The second misstep was how they USED her as Wolverine...which was hardly at all.

And then we didn't even get to see her give up the cowl, or what led her to make that decision. All we got is a flimsy handwave of, "I'm hunting people who made me and I want them to know why."

All of this just emphasizes that Marvel was never really serious about her having the cowl or developing her in a meaningful way.

Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if Laura wouldn't have been better off being part of a Creator Owned series rather the Big Two. Hill having her talk about being in Logan's shadow in Fallen Angels fell flat from a character perspective, but on a meta level honestly isn't too far off the mark.
    I always felt like Laura taking the mantle of Wolverine was earned by what she had to overcome on her life.

Sure that a story over her taking th emantle would make it cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Marvel's dropped the ball with Laura. She had such a good trajectory with ANW and that seems to all have been killed in 2019, which has not been a good year for her at all. I guess the only solace is that most of the X-characters suffered but it doesnt seem like she is on her way back on the incline. She's a lead character and IMO shouldnt be shelved or sidelined. Hopefully she gets a permanent spot and/or solo in 2020 with FA going on hiatus
    Laura was a very successful character in the comics and on the big screen too, it kind of shocks me how much the x office sidelined her after Logan came back… they should utilize her success, it would be so easy for them. But instead it seems like there’s no plans or direction for her at all :/

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    She is one of the few characters that can lead a solo, and then marvel mess up that.
    Really, the incompetent decisions, uhh...

Percy said laura gonna show up on x-force and Wolverine solo. I guess daken and Gabby will show up on the solo too
    yeah, but she should be a main character on a team, not just showing up in Logan's solo or team. Same for Daken
    Last edited by DAHX; 12-04-2019 at 08:21 AM.

So has anyone checked out HBO's adaptation of His Dark Materials yet? Dafne Keen is playing Lyra in this version, and I have to say this ought to be shutting up the doubters over whether she's capable of carrying a leading role. She's been downright spectacular four episodes in; Marvel seriously needs to get her signed on to reprise X-23, this kid is for real.

I also find it mildly amusing that she's now had BOTH Professor Xaviers playing opposite her as father figures (Stewart in Logan as a surrogate grandfather, and McAvoy plays Lord Asriel in HDM).
    Brits can see that on BBC One.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Laura was a very successful character in the comics and on the big screen too, it kind of shocks me how much the x office sidelined her after Logan came back… they should utilize her success, it would be so easy for them. But instead it seems like there’s no plans or direction for her at all :/

Really, the incompetent decisions, uhh...

yeah, but she should be a main character on a team, not just showing up in Logan's solo or team. Same for Daken
    and thats the biggest problem. There doesnt seem to be any direction for her. We as fans have no idea where she's heading as there is no character arc or apparent plan in place for her

Not so sure about Daken. but Laura is really a spotlight character that deserves her own narrative on a appropriate book,.
    hard to believ ethat she is supporting character to Kwannon

Not so sure about Daken. but Laura is really a spotlight character that deserves her own narrative on a appropriate book,.
    and not even a good supporting character as she adds little to Kwannon's narrative

I said Daken for a different reason-he isn’t a spotlight character like Laura, but he’s usually just a disposable plot device for Logan, which is hardly a beneficial role to have. so I think he also needs to have something else on his own not just showing up in Logan’s solo. Having some new connections with other characters and being on a team could help him get away from his usual treatment. As for Laura, it’s a shame that Marvel was literally using the Wolverine popularity to sell her but it was immediately taken away when Logan came back and she just got relegated first to X-23 again without a good explanation, then to a Logan copy in disassembled and then to an ooc supporting character in FA, from a popular solo run… Initially I didn’t mind too much that she stopped using the Wolverine title, because I honestly thought it just meant that Marvel was going to give her a new -and important- place, probably with Logan, but I never expected to get what we have now…

BANNED

Didn't someone here say that Marvel "had plans" for her in the post-Krakoa era or something? I thought it came up several pages back.

Didn't someone here say that Marvel "had plans" for her in the post-Krakoa era or something? I thought it came up several pages back.
    I only believe when it is a insider, like that Bishop guy and even him sometimes get things wrong. things change very fast on comics.

Astonishing Member

I think, Percy having plans of her in x force maybe wolverine. Other then that nothing. Unless there following Cassandra cain in witch case.... she'll randomly be a kill happy leader of a army of assassins because she was off paneled roofyed by not deathstroke, then leading her to be a underused side character with the publisher stating shes too damaged, leading to a return where they **** on her legacy making her a side kick so somone character who people literally forgot existed could take over the mantle DC is using fox's son so marve would have random Logan kid #(insert random number) take over in a insult to the fans. (Did I mention DC using fox's kid as the new batman over dick, jason, tim, damion, and cassandra is a stupid idea)
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 12-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.

what do you mean post Krakoa? This staus quo will last for years probably. Laura will be in the Wolverine solo and X-Force but I think those are going to be guest appearances for a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I think, Percy having plans of her in x force maybe wolverine. Other then that nothing. Unless there following Cassandra cain in witch case.... she'll randomly be a kill happy leader of a army of assassins because she was off paneled roofyed by not deathstroke, then leading her to be a underused side character with the publisher stating shes too damaged, leading to a return where they **** on her legacy making her a side kick so somone character who people literally forgot existed could take over the mantle DC is using fox's son so marve would have random Logan kid #(insert random number) take over in a insult to the fans. (Did I mention DC using fox's kid as the new batman over dick, jason, tim, damion, and cassandra is a stupid idea)
    Well, they just quickly made the mysterious Logan daughter not so long ago… They’re selling the related Marvel Comics Presents issues as ‘Wolverine: The Daughter Of Wolverine’ for tpb. Any chance she will show up in Krakoa? Maybe the writers want to establish her too, so she can be the real daughter of Logan...

what do you mean post Krakoa? This staus quo will last for years probably. Laura will be in the Wolverine solo and X-Force but I think those are going to be guest appearances for a few issues.

Well, they just quickly made the mysterious Logan daughter not so long ago… They’re selling the related Marvel Comics Presents issues as ‘Wolverine: The Daughter Of Wolverine’ for tpb. Any chance she will show up in Krakoa? Maybe the writers want to establish her too, so she can be the real daughter of Logan...
    I don't feel X-office that wecoming to Soule Wolverine. They gave the wolverine books to Percy

I don't feel X-office that wecoming to Soule Wolverine. They gave the wolverine books to Percy
    yeah, that's my hope too. they also ditched the hot claws, thank God, and most of the things Soule wrote. But they still greenlit Rien too just recently, so idk... But I'm really grateful for Percy taking over the Wolverine titles

RIEN

UGH

There was an interview a while back with a Marvel editor who said Laura was made X-23 again for marketing reasons. I actually got snippy with him on Twitter about how the version of Wolverine he loved was a version that emphasized everything I thought was bad about the character. Now I'm regretting not getting snippy about giving Laura her slave name back with 0 explanation only to cancel her book and relegate her to Psylock Sidekick

That editor is an idiot. The name of the comic doesn't have to match the name of the character, for starters. And Taylor had written Laura as not liking the X-23 designation. If marketing was the reason, then call the comic X-23, fine - but she could've still been calling herself Wolverine. And now Gabby's missing too? The change of X-Men editor has screwed Laura over.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman