Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Some interesting news from bleeding cool and spoilers
    spoilers:
    it appears that her age of xmen origin is the same as innocence lost. Also she and Nate are bonding over being made in a lab.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    spoilers:
    it appears that her age of xmen origin is the same as innocence lost. Also she and Nate are bonding over being made in a lab.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Interesting. I hope something happens with this. Laura doesn't get to bond with a lot of people, Gabby being one of the few exceptions. I think it'll be good for her if she can connect with others on a personal level beyond being born in a lab.
    end of spoilers
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    That’s so bullshit. You know damn well if Laura knew he was alive she’d find him.
    Considering that Disassembled takes place after both Hunt and Return of Wolverine, by that point Laura’s gotta know that Logan is alive and out there. It’d be a serious dick move if the X-Men never bothered to tell her despite her being his daughter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Do you mean in AoXM she's going to be the same age as in Innocence Lost? Because she'd be 13, which wouldn't make much sense unless JDW is using this to deage her, since he never liked Taylor aging her up.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    spoilers:
    Do you mean in AoXM she's going to be the same age as in Innocence Lost? Because she'd be 13, which wouldn't make much sense unless JDW is using this to deage her, since he never liked Taylor aging her up.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I mean the events of innocence lost happened in the past of age of x Laura's life.
    To paraphrase the scene the reasion people are born in pods is Nate says I was made from Scott and Jean to be a weapons like she was. Then she wants to know why did didnt talk about that. If anything aox Laura might be older.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    It is strange though how someone with a healing factor derived from Logan aged so quickly when it's suppose to have the opposite effect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    It is strange though how someone with a healing factor derived from Logan aged so quickly when it's suppose to have the opposite effect.
    Logan grew up normally after his Healing Factor kicked in. It was only after he reached maturity that his aging slowed (remember, AGING and GROWING aren't the same).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 02-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Logan grew up normally after his Healing Factor kicked in.
    I know, but if we had seen Logan debut as a teen, I'm sure it'd had taken him like 20 years to grow out of his teens like Jubilee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Well the same could be said for Logan considering his X-gene activated when he was still young. It could just be that it allows you to grow naturally but stops the negative parts of the body beginning to degrade with old age this after a certain point, they seem to stop aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Considering that Disassembled takes place after both Hunt and Return of Wolverine, by that point Laura’s gotta know that Logan is alive and out there. It’d be a serious dick move if the X-Men never bothered to tell her despite her being his daughter.
    I didn't think this had to be stated, but obviously the writer(s) didn't sit down and go "the X-Men wouldn't tell Laura that Logan is back and Laura would have no interest in seeking him out anyway". The fact that Laura and Logan have an important relationship is probably exactly why she wasn't included. Her inclusion would have required significant page space, and the writer(s) obviously had a different story they wanted to tell. Now, if you're not telling the story of their particular reunion, and the alternatives become either A) include Laura in the backgrounds of panels just to show she's there, or B) to leave her out and just go "their reunion happened off-page" and leave it up to the reader's imagination, it's easy to see why they'd pick the latter.

Same applies to the "Laura aging quickly" discussion. It's a fool's errand trying to make sense of these things as if they were conscious decisions by some unseen Marvel architect. They're just side-effects of a universe spanning multiple ongoing books being written independently by several writers over years and years. We say that Marvel did so and so, as if there's a singular voice behind it all, when the reality is that they give writers a toy box and freedom to use it pretty much however they see fit in order to write the best self-contained story they can. Some would probably prefer a more singular vision where the editor(s) plan out everything in detail but that's simply not how they operate these days. It's why they don't write down how the books fit together in terms of timeline, I don't think they really know any better than us. You can try to fit the pieces together in retrospect but some things simply won't fit together neatly after the fact, so they don't try. It's not needed either. Sure, it would be cool in a "that's neat" kind of way, but it doesn't really affect the enjoyment of each story.

Quote Originally Posted by XCE View Post
    I didn't think this had to be stated, but obviously the writer(s) didn't sit down and go "the X-Men wouldn't tell Laura that Logan is back and Laura would have no interest in seeking him out anyway". The fact that Laura and Logan have an important relationship is probably exactly why she wasn't included. Her inclusion would have required significant page space, and the writer(s) obviously had a different story they wanted to tell. Now, if you're not telling the story of their particular reunion, and the alternatives become either A) include Laura in the backgrounds of panels just to show she's there, or B) to leave her out and just go "their reunion happened off-page" and leave it up to the reader's imagination, it's easy to see why they'd pick the latter.

Same applies to the "Laura aging quickly" discussion. It's a fool's errand trying to make sense of these things as if they were conscious decisions by some unseen Marvel architect. They're just side-effects of a universe spanning multiple ongoing books being written independently by several writers over years and years. We say that Marvel did so and so, as if there's a singular voice behind it all, when the reality is that they give writers a toy box and freedom to use it pretty much however they see fit in order to write the best self-contained story they can. Some would probably prefer a more singular vision where the editor(s) plan out everything in detail but that's simply not how they operate these days. It's why they don't write down how the books fit together in terms of timeline, I don't think they really know any better than us. You can try to fit the pieces together in retrospect but some things simply won't fit together neatly after the fact, so they don't try. It's not needed either. Sure, it would be cool in a "that's neat" kind of way, but it doesn't really affect the enjoyment of each story.
    If we had like buttons here, I'd be mashing it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XCE View Post
    Now, if you're not telling the story of their particular reunion, and the alternatives become either A) include Laura in the backgrounds of panels just to show she's there, or B) to leave her out and just go "their reunion happened off-page" and leave it up to the reader's imagination, it's easy to see why they'd pick the latter.
    Just going to throw out there that Marvel's writers and editors know there's a lot of X-23 fans who've been wanting to see her and Hellion reunite since the Liu series (to the point CBR even poked at it in one of their last X-Positions). And Rosenthal pretty much did exactly A in Phoenix Resurrection, calling it a "bone" tossed to the fans. There wasn't even any NEED for it to be Laura and Julian used for those panels. They could have used ANY two characters, even two who never had anything to do with each other in the past, and it would have been just as meaningful since it was done without so much as a line of dialogue calling attention to its significance.

So we have plenty of precedent that Marvel — either as an entity or as a collective of talent — IS perfectly content throwing a character in the background of panels for no other reason than to show they're there.

But I think you're also missing the point that it's beyond rather not seeing them at all than seeing the opportunity wasted. It's about the indecision by Editorial about just what the line is on the relationship, and that we're being TOLD one thing — that they've become father/daughter — while the SHOW couldn't care less about it.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 02-05-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Just going to throw out there that Marvel's writers and editors know there's a lot of X-23 fans who've been wanting to see her and Hellion reunite since the Liu series (to the point CBR even poked at it in one of their last X-Positions). And Rosenthal pretty much did exactly A in Phoenix Resurrection, calling it a "bone" tossed to the fans. There wasn't even any NEED for it to be Laura and Julian used for those panels. They could have used ANY two characters, even two who never had anything to do with each other in the past, and it would have been just as meaningful since it was done without so much as a line of dialogue calling attention to its significance.
    First of all, that's not the same situation. Laura and Logan have a close relationship that's established enough and recent enough that readers find it odd when it's overlooked. Hellion is someone Laura had a fleeting crush on years ago but then completely cut out of her life because she wanted something else and he was unwilling to let go. No one thinks it's odd that they don't react or interact the way they do with Laura and Logan.

A minority of fans, and yes, it is a minority, wishing for "a reunion" because they read a bit too much fanfiction back in the day and as a result feel the two have this deep bond that they never actually had, is different. You said it yourself, it could have been any two characters thrown in a panel together, but the writer decided to throw a bone to those fans. But if he had not, no one would have noticed and gone "hey, why wasn't so-and-so included instead"?

So we have plenty of precedent that Marvel — either as an entity or as a collective of talent — IS perfectly content throwing a character in the background of panels for no other reason than to show they're there.
    I'll just point out that giving one spurious example hardly equals "plenty of precedent".

But I think you're also missing the point that it's beyond rather not seeing them at all than seeing the opportunity wasted. It's about the indecision by Editorial about just what the line is on the relationship, and that we're being TOLD one thing — that they've become father/daughter — while the SHOW couldn't care less about it.
    Again, it's not editorial indecision. You're still thinking in terms of singular voice. They let the writers write the stories. One writer (Taylor) wants to explore the relationship and so it becomes an important part of his book. Makes sense given that he's writing a book dealing with the legacy between them. Another writer is doing a different kind of story with a different focus. That's all that happened here. You just kind of have to say "it is what it is" and accept that this will happen when things are done this way.

Just read X-23 #9. Won't spoil it, but it was a lot of fun. Laura got some new opportunities to be overly violent and Gabby got some new opportunities to bond with a robot version of Laura. It's even more adorable than it sounds.

Overall, I highly recommend it. The art is gorgeous. Also, a cow makes an appearance. No joke.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

For whatever reason, most writers just aren’t interested in writing Laura or exploring that relationship. That’s all it is imo.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that most writers really struggle with her personality. The majority of them write her as a totally different character, which makes me wonder why they include her in the first place.