Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1104

Quote Originally Posted by ThreatLevel-X View Post
    Can’t help but agree with you on this... Taylor’s run has been the best (imo) since Bendis but Laura still feels... off to me there.
    Taylor at least made an effort to respect the character and create a bridge between who she was before and who she is now. However his run did have some major flaws. And I agree that Laura did feel a bit off.

I liked Tamaki’s Laura a bit better, and Gabby was written more like a person than an anime character in her book, but other than the first story it wasn’t a great run in the end.

Pretty much everyone else who has written Laura around that timeframe has done a horrible job.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Taylor at least made an effort to respect the character and create a bridge between who she was before and who she is now. However his run did have some major flaws. And I agree that Laura did feel a bit off.

I liked Tamaki’s Laura a bit better, and Gabby was written more like a person than an anime character in her book, but other than the first story it wasn’t a great run in the end.

Pretty much everyone else who has written Laura around that timeframe has done a horrible job.
    Cuz they were trying to balance a serious super heroine story with Disney Channel big sister antics and failing.
    "Cable was right!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Laura fans, which do you think was the worst Laura.

Laura in All New X-men by Bendis

Laura in All New X-men v2 by Hopeless

Laura in Disassembled by Thompson, Brisson and Rosenberg

Laura in Fallen Angels by Hill
    Bendis' Laura was just the prize girlfriend

Hopeless' Laura was horrid and I didn't stick around.

Disassembled Laura was just background noise.

Hill's Laura feels like she just joined the X-Men after Uncanny.
    "Cable was right!"

New challenger: Brisson!Laura

All-New Member

I think what every Laura fan wants for Christmas is for her to be written by KYost, or even Marjorie Liu again, they understood and wrote her best.

Also, I miss goth Laura definitely one of the changes made I disliked from Taylor’s run onward. Feels like a lot of what made her unique was displaced, and that’s ultimately the problem for me.

BANNED

I think what every Laura fan wants for Christmas is for her to be written by KYost, or even Marjorie Liu again, they understood and wrote her best.
    No. No I don't. Liu's run has IMO done substantial damage to perception of the character, and I have no interest in ever seeing Robo-Laura again. It's the entire reason you have certain people who blow a gasket if Laura so much as cracks a smile or uses a contraction.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No. No I don't. Liu's run has IMO done substantial damage to perception of the character, and I have no interest in ever seeing Robo-Laura again. It's the entire reason you have certain people who blow a gasket if Laura so much as cracks a smile or uses a contraction.
    Emphasis on ‘or even...’ There are others who I would say wrote Laura well but she and KYost did still set the standard, at least for Laura at that point in her life. I’d prefer her over Bendis at least, but I do agree that Robo-Laura is as problematic for her as Buffyspeak-Laura is and Liu writing Laura as she did in her solo would just be weird now.

Laura had character development under Taylor that's now being ignored. She needs someone who will build on what went before, not roll her back to her origins. Character development should stick, not be regressed. If you want early Laura, DC is kind of providing that with Cassandra Cain anyway - at least her regression was justified by the whole damn universe getting rebooted.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Laura had character development under Taylor that's now being ignored. She needs someone who will build on what went before, not roll her back to her origins. Character development should stick, not be regressed. If you want early Laura, DC is kind of providing that with Cassandra Cain anyway - at least her regression was justified by the whole damn universe getting rebooted.
    Jean and Laura had character development with Taylor that was later ignored.

I really don't know why some characters editors and writers are ok to ignore it. Hill promised address it, but we are on the 4th issue and doesn't look like this

This is where I tip my hat off to Tamaki. While her macro stories were kinda dull and just retreads of Taylor's stories...her dialogue actually clicked with where I feel Laura should be. You was stoic and focused when she needed to be and she when she needed to be emotional and human her dialogue reflected that.

Her and Gabby's blow up was the most natural human thing I had read with Laura in a LONG time.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Cuz they were trying to balance a serious super heroine story with Disney Channel big sister antics and failing.

More like horribly OOC. Either they’ve written her as the Diet Coke version of Logan or had her acting more like Gabby than herself.

I’ve liked the more middle ground approach (between “robo” and buffyspeak”) Taylor and Tamaki have taken *for the most part*. But it Definitely felt like Taylor was more comfortable writing Gabby than Laura, that’s for sure, and I especially disliked her goth fashion sense getting tossed out for stupid reasons in his book. I’m glad Choi’s design brought some of those sensibilities back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    This is where I tip my hat off to Tamaki. While her macro stories were kinda dull and just retreads of Taylor's stories...her dialogue actually clicked with where I feel Laura should be. You was stoic and focused when she needed to be and she when she needed to be emotional and human her dialogue reflected that.

Her and Gabby's blow up was the most natural human thing I had read with Laura in a LONG time.
    I absolutely agree with this 100%

Yeah, Tamaki didn't advance Laura, the only real change was Gabby deciding to change her codename. But at least she didn't regress Laura either.

Hill has seemingly not read anything of Laura since Decimation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Tamaki’s run did appeal to me more than Taylor’s, it makes me wonder where she would have gone with things had it not been cancelled.
    What I do think Laura’s stories suffer from is a lack of variety. All the ‘cloning blues’ have gotten stale quickly, especially with a character that potentially offers much more in terms of topics to explore.

Tamaki’s run did appeal to me more than Taylor’s, it makes me wonder where she would have gone with things had it not been cancelled.
    What I do think Laura’s stories suffer from is a lack of variety. All the ‘cloning blues’ have gotten stale quickly, especially with a character that potentially offers much more in terms of topics to explore.
    Taylor giving her the motivation to hunt down the people who paid the Facility to use her was a great idea. I wish Tamaki had gone with that instead of going the tired clone route. Hopefully another writer picks that up eventually.