Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Why is Mera remotely interested in suitors? She's shown here pining for Arthur and ought to be searching for him, not putting it with these procedures

I'll chalk this one up to Manhattan/source wall meddling
    I guess, as far as Atlantis and even she knows, Arthur is dead, and as the Queen, she has a duty to produce an heir, especially after she lost her connection to the one and only Dynasty of Atlantis -that we know off. Arthur may be judged a bad king to Atlanteans, he at least had that legitimacy. And Mera, as a Xebellian, certainly doesn't...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I guess, as far as Atlantis and even she knows, Arthur is dead, and as the Queen, she has a duty to produce an heir, especially after she lost her connection to the one and only Dynasty of Atlantis -that we know off. Arthur may be judged a bad king to Atlanteans, he at least had that legitimacy. And Mera, as a Xebellian, certainly doesn't...
    Wasn't he thought to be dead during the reign of Rath, too? They should have more of a wait and see approach with him, rather than just assuming he's dead every few months.

I wish we could get away from Atlantis being treated as a traditional monarchy. Mera shouldn't have to deal with this, there should be more pressing matters. I'd like to see her more involved in day to day Atlantean life.

Maybe DeConnick is continuing from where Abnett left off. The widowhood dont think Arthur is worthy of being Mera's husband or she just threw that plot out the window. They helped overthrow Arthur and crown Rath so they've done more damage than good. If DeConnick gets rid of them, I'm ok with that.
    Last edited by MosSuperman; 01-26-2019 at 01:58 PM.

from
    Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XV (May 1986)

and from Aquaman #11 (September-October 1963):

BANNED

I don't think she'll allow herself to go as far as produce a child with a suitor, she'd probably hold it off as long as possible and the people will catch wise to it....Mera really ought to stop kowtowing to royal pressures, I don't see why either she or Arthur have to be bonded to the throne if this is the reward. They're best becoming just citizens.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like for either Arthur or Mera to eventually abolish the monarchy of Atlantis in favor of a new system of government. Mera could still play a key role in that new government, Arthur too, but the whole "Throne of Atlantis" would be a thing of the past.

art by Leandromatos

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd like for either Arthur or Mera to eventually abolish the monarchy of Atlantis in favor of a new system of government. Mera could still play a key role in that new government, Arthur too, but the whole "Throne of Atlantis" would be a thing of the past.
    I dunno. I don't think Atlantis would be as fun without their being a throne and Aquaman's whole deal is he's the "King of the Sea," so I don't think you could ever permanently do away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. I don't think Atlantis would be as fun without their being a throne and Aquaman's whole deal is he's the "King of the Sea," so I don't think you could ever permanently do away with it.
    Maybe a constitutional monarchy?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't think she'll allow herself to go as far as produce a child with a suitor, she'd probably hold it off as long as possible and the people will catch wise to it....Mera really ought to stop kowtowing to royal pressures, I don't see why either she or Arthur have to be bonded to the throne if this is the reward.
    That's the point though. They're not doing this for "the reward." They're doing this because it's the right thing to do, even if it leaves them miserable as a result. That's what it means to be a hero; you must place the greater good ahead of your own wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Maybe a constitutional monarchy?
    I mean, I get the basis for it in reality but if you're going to keep the monarchy I think people would probably expect the royalty to have more power and sway then what you would get out of a constitutional monarchy.

But that's just my perspective.

BANNED

Anyone else bought the Mera Barbie Doll? It's really pretty; I gave one to one of my grand-daughters for Christmas this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I get the basis for it in reality but if you're going to keep the monarchy I think people would probably expect the royalty to have more power and sway then what you would get out of a constitutional monarchy.
    Note that the examples of most current-day constitutional monarchies have grown out from a long process of reducing the power of the monarchs. If we take Sweden as an example, one can easily claim that the constitution of 1809 created a constitutional monarchy based on the principles of separation of powers, with the monarch holding the executive power (and a bit more).

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    10 Reasons Why Mera Is Now The Most Powerful Woman In DC (And 10 Reasons Why It Will Always Be Wonder Woman)?

When a list starts off with
    20 - MERA: HER MOVIE IS THE HIGHEST GROSSING DC FILM
    I tend to immediately ignore anything that follows.