Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Post the DCnU 52 reboot, Mera has been portrayed well overall. I hope DC can continue to keep her momentum going. It seems that Mera has also been received well by the fans of the Aquaman movie. I hope this leads to Mera getting more appearances in other forms of media such as animated cartoons/movies, video-games, merchandise, etc.
    she has indeed been well received by fans, youtube is full of videos by fans about her and arthur, but till now DC hasn't been wise enough to exploit the interest generated by the success of the movie in the character, as a matter of fact they didn't either exploit Aquaman/arthur. Seems it caught them totally by surprise, the current comics is a mess which has confused and pushed away new fans, merchandise is lacking, the fact that the sequel is planned for 4 years from now confirms that Aquaman surprised everyone most of all DC. You don't do suicide squad 2 and keep the goose that lays golden eggs in a limbo of 4 years.
    Aquaman had the chance for a great revival in the comics thanks to the movie but it is being wasted if not already evaporated.
    Last edited by ChrisG; 02-28-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Atlantis doesn't want anything to do with the people who live on land. Why the heck would they want to have relations with people who aren't even from the same planet?
    It would certainly be a stretch from an in story perspective for sure. I don't know of any stories involving Atlantis having any sort of relations with an alien race unless it was some sort of invasion. It would be interesting to me if the met another aquatic/amphibious alien race.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Anyone else miss Reis' Mera design? Sejic's is good but it just doesn't beat Reis' green scaly bodysuit and a gold crown. Its simpler and better imo.

20190228_184122.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Mera's story in the comics is different from the movie, she comes from xebel an ancient penal colony of atlantis and was trained to kill the king of Atlantis their sworn enemy. When she went to Atlantis to accomplish her mission she instead fell in love with Arthur, who happened to be the king of Atlantis. There are versions in the comics in which they married and even had a son, who was killed by black manta, in others they are engaged, they decide to abandon Atlantis and live on the surface, only to return again. Currently mera is the queen, Arthur is considered dead by all. Probably mera will have suitors after her and seems that they have decided after all these years to separate her and arthur. Mera a xebellian as queen of atlantis is ridiculous since atlanteans consider them as enemies, Orm calls her as a convict.
    oh wow, that sounds pretty different. thanks

she has indeed been well received by fans, youtube is full of videos by fans about her and arthur, but till now DC hasn't been wise enough to exploit the interest generated by the success of the movie in the character, as a matter of fact they didn't either exploit Aquaman/arthur. Seems it caught them totally by surprise, the current comics is a mess which has confused and pushed away new fans, merchandise is lacking, the fact that the sequel is planned for 4 years from now confirms that Aquaman surprised everyone most of all DC. You don't do suicide squad 2 and keep the goose that lays golden eggs in a limbo of 4 years.
    Aquaman had the chance for a great revival in the comics thanks to the movie but it is being wasted if not already evaporated.
    Aquaman is still in theaters. Too soon to tell he's being wasted. I'm sure more things will be done with the character's world.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    Anyone else miss Reis' Mera design? Sejic's is good but it just doesn't beat Reis' green scaly bodysuit and a gold crown. Its simpler and better imo.

20190228_184122.jpg
    Agreed 100%. Reis' design was not only sexy, but sensual. I feel like the simplicity of the look worked towards making it look better.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Aquaman is still in theaters. Too soon to tell he's being wasted. I'm sure more things will be done with the character's world.
    I don’t think it’s wasted yet, but it’s heading there. One of the main draws and if not the main draw was the world of Atlantis which isn’t even featured, Meras barely made an appearance, You’ve got an Aquaman who hasn’t displayed any of his trademark powers and doesn’t even know he’s Aquaman and he’s no longer appearing in Justice League.

This would of been the perfect time for Rise of the Seven Seas.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

20190228_184122.jpg
    Yeah, it felt like a great update to her silver age design. O definitely miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    I don’t think it’s wasted yet, but it’s heading there. One of the main draws and if not the main draw was the world of Atlantis which isn’t even featured, Meras barely made an appearance, You’ve got an Aquaman who hasn’t displayed any of his trademark powers and doesn’t even know he’s Aquaman and he’s no longer appearing in Justice League.

This would of been the perfect time for Rise of the Seven Seas.
    All good points. I don't think DC is really maximizing the comic potential for Aquaman and his supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

It's run in the theaters is at the end. They did not expect such success and it caught them totally unprepared.

The movie generated lots of interest but the new fans had nothing to continue on that interest. Just Aquaman by Geoff Johns Omnibus edition had to be reprinted such was the demand. But that was that. Merchandise is practically non existent, whats there is old stuff.

The character of Mera made a breakout in the movie and fans found hardly anything about her. To loyal fans who had followed Aquaman for years before the movie, this was no surprise, Mera was always awesome in the comics.

The movie changed the perception about Aquaman, but this has not been followed up to exploit the success.

They had a golden occasion to do so, they are failing in this. Anyone new to Aquaman will get confused with the story arc in the comics, Arthur not being king, separated from Mera, Atlantis hardly features. What king of the seas or protector of the deep is he, if he can't even sit on his throne for a minute before being toppled a second later?
    If they don't find a solution soon aquaman comics is doomed as even "old" fans are getting tired.

Also, The fact that it will take them four years to release the sequel clearly shows how unexpected the success of the movie was. Wonder Woman sequel filming began hardly a year after the release of the first one!
    Last edited by ChrisG; 03-01-2019 at 03:59 AM.

BANNED

It's run in the theaters is at the end. They did not expect such success and it caught them totally unprepared.

The movie generated lots of interest but the new fans had nothing to continue on that interest. Just Aquaman by Geoff Johns Omnibus edition had to be reprinted such was the demand. But that was that. Merchandise is practically non existent, whats there is old stuff.

The character of Mera made a breakout in the movie and fans found hardly anything about her. To loyal fans who had followed Aquaman for years before the movie, this was no surprise, Mera was always awesome in the comics.

The movie changed the perception about Aquaman, but this has not been followed up to exploit the success.

They had a golden occasion to do so, they are failing in this. Anyone new to Aquaman will get confused with the story arc in the comics, Arthur not being king, separated from Mera, Atlantis hardly features. What king of the seas or protector of the deep is he, if he can't even sit on his throne for a minute before being toppled a second later?
    The sequel is still a while off, plenty of time for the status quo to be restored

20190228_184122.jpg
    Agreed (especially since it's pretty much the design they went with for the movie).

Heck, I just miss Reis drawing Aquaman and his world in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed (especially since it's pretty much the design they went with for the movie).

Ivan Reis has been my favorite Aquaman artist. I feel like he does a great job with capturing facial expressions but also does well with background art as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Ivan Reis has been my favorite Aquaman artist. I feel like he does a great job with capturing facial expressions but also does well with background art as well.
    Agreed Ivan Reis' Mera was the best. While Lan Medina's Mera with that crown, makes her look like an elf with pointed ears.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Same!

Ivan Reis is the best and his exploration of Aquaman's world were some of my favorite comic books. His work is THE Aquaman and Mera, for me. That's what I picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Same!

Ivan Reis is the best and his exploration of Aquaman's world were some of my favorite comic books. His work is THE Aquaman and Mera, for me. That's what I picture.
    same for me, his Aquaman and Mera will always be the gold standard to compare with.