Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Because the World Still Needs Heroes - Champions Appreciation 2019

The old thread got locked I see. New year, new appreciation threads (damn, I'll have to update all the links in the index thread later). Now, where were we...

Champions Charge!

Roster:
    Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan
    Spider-Man, Miles Morales
    Nova, Sam Alexander
    Viv Vision
    Brawn, Amadeus Cho - formerly Totally Awesome Hulk
    Cyclops, Scott Summers (quit, issue 18)
    Ironheart, Riri Williams
    Unstoppable Wasp, Nadia Van Dyne
    Snowguard, Amka Aliyak
    Falcon, Joaquin Torres
    Patriot, Rayshaun Lucas
    Bombshell, Lana Baumgartner
    Power Man, Victor Alvarez
    Locust, Fernanda Rodriguez
    Pinpoint, Qureshi Gupta
    Dust, Sooraya Qadir

Reservists:
    Cloud 9, Abigail Boylen
    Scout, Gabby Kinney - formerly Honey Badger
    Moon Girl, Lunella Lafayette
    Prodigy (identity unrevealed)
    Red Dagger, Kareem (surname unknown)
    Silk, Cindy Moon
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-09-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Updated for Nova's repowering and Gabby's codename change
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Happy New Year to the newest and brightest teen heroes on the block .

Did I see things wrong or are they re-starting the numbering at #1 again?

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Did I see things wrong or are they re-starting the numbering at #1 again?
    Yep it's a restart, though because of the Stan Lee Memorial cover, they didn't put the legacy numbering. Zub said that it will resume for the next issue of the relaunch.

Well since as of this post its Wednesday afternoon here, I got #1/LN#28. Now I gotta admit that, for one reason or another, I've been unable to keep up with Champions. I certainly haven't lost interest and would read the posts and keep up, but I actually have been unable to get the damn issues. Started rectifying it by getting a number of trades recently, just leaving Vol 4 and the upcoming Vol 5 left to get till I'm caught up. But by chance I was able to get the new #1. And first impressions so far are that it's a great start. A good start of the new status quo, gives us brief spotlights on each character, has tons of setups for character dynamics, and an ending that's a practical guarantee for a reader to get the next issue and see what the heck will happen.

Do you have the Avengers/Champions Worlds Collide TPB? If not, you shouldn't read TPB 3 yet.

TPB 1, Change the World, is issues 1-5
    TPB 2, The Freelancer Lifestyle, is issues 6-12
    TPB 3, Champion for a Day, is issues 16-18 and 1.MU (a Monsters Unleashed tie-in, which actually should be read before TPB 2!)
    TPB 4, Northern Lights, is issues 19-21 and Infinity Countdown: Champions 1-2.
    TPB 5, Weird War One, is issues 22-27 and the Annual.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes, Worlds Collide and Champion For a Day were the ones I recently got (as Christmas Gifts no less), while Change the World and Freelancer Lifestyle I got on initial release. So it is indeed Northern Lights and the upcoming Weird War One I don't have.

This post was deleted from the old thread owing to being posted before the release of Champions #1. It's past 9am Eastern on Wednesday morning, so now we can discuss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13
    spoilers:
    So the Champions Reinforcement Roster includes Cloud 9, Honey Badger, Moon Girl, Prodigy, Red Dagger, Silk another individual whose codename begins with S.

Overall that's a pretty solid addition to the Champions. The inclusion of Lunella & Kareem makes sense given their connection to current Champions members, just as the inclusion of Bombshell, Patriot, Falcon and Locust is logical. I would not be at all surprised to see Singularity, Goldballs and Ghost Spider join the team given their ties to Kamala + Miles.

I assume Cloud 9, Honey Badger, Prodigy & the mysterious member joined through the forums.

I can't quite figure out why Silk is included. She's Peter Parker's age right? Why is she a reserve Champion? I love Silk but I'm not sure this book is the right place for her
    end of spoilers

I'm still hoping to see Gentle, Spider-Girl, Victor Mancha, Speed & Pei with the Champions at some point.
    spoilers:
    There are things counting against those suggestions: Singularity, we've already heard Zub has no plans for. Goldballs, it seems, was explicitly written out in Champions #24, he no longer appears in Miles's solo book. And Ghost-Spider is AU, Miles has no way to contact Gwen.

Silk's inclusion is probably because of the Protectors from Amadeus's book. She had two adventures alongside Kamala and Amadeus, with Miles also with them the second time. Cindy, of course, knows Miles from Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon as well. That's the reason, despite her being in her late 20s, she ended up signing up for the Champions. Given her powerset, I would imagine she'd fill in if Miles was incapacitated for any reason... he has been out of action twice before (issue 5, because he was on Earth-65 in the Sitting in a Tree arc at the time, and the Infinity Countdown tie-in and #22-23 due to the events of Spider-Man #239, which resulted in his hospitalisation).
    end of spoilers

Zub has just said that Pei won't appear any time soon. Victor Mancha is busy in Runaways, and frankly Viv would refuse to allow him onto the team, as he's Vin Vision's killer. Speed would almost certainly go to Young Avengers if that relaunched - and Zub has already said that he has no plans to add a speedster. Gentle and Spider-Girl are both available, but Anya just became very unlikely, as her powers are basically the same as Silk's.

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/1080328435644485633
    No plans for Kid Kaiju.

Reading issue 1 and then looking at the cover of #3, I think one thing is an easy guess:
    spoilers:
    Something happens concerning Miles and Sam.
    end of spoilers

And here's something that doesn't need spoiler tags. The team battlecry is no longer "Go for Champions". It's now "Champions Charge". That's actually an improvement, I think.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-02-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Zub really wasn't kidding when he said the team would be taking on big threats Thanos, Ultron, spoilers:
    Mephisto!
    end of spoilers this is great and I can't wait to see the finer details of how that twist at the end happened.

Also Zub answered why Silk is a reserve member on his Tumblr:
    "I know that the core membership is all teenagers, but in theory you don’t have to be young to be part of the Champions. We’re not going to see a ton of adults joining the team, but anyone can be a Champion if they stand with them and fight for a better world."
    http://jimzub.tumblr.com/post/181646...-the-champions
    Last edited by Dragonick; 01-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Silk is practically a teenager anyway because of bunker time.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

She does act like a teenager at least, but is in fact ten years older - as you say, she didn't have any life experiences in those ten years.

The person who sent that question in overestimated her age slightly. She's not 30. She's roughly the same age as Peter Parker (they have the exact same origin, were both on the same school outing to a science lab and got spider bites). Maybe around 28. She's certainly the team's oldest member though. Moon Girl is obviously the youngest at 9.

Of course, this actually opens up an opportunity for someone else around the same age... a certain X-Man who just came back from the grave... if that X girl who joins isn't Gabby, and therefore isn't on the reserve list, then that means that they could've been sent by an old friend. A certain former member who wears ruby quartz...
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yep this was a heck of a starter issue. The last page had me get angry in all the right ways. XD

Satan shouldn't even be here because of Doc Strange: Damnation. I want to bite my own balls.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 01-02-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Speaking of that last page, anyone got any initial theories on what Miles traded in his deal? I can't really think of anything he has Mephisto would want short of soul or servitude.

He sold his soul for a successful animated movie.

That was a great issue.
    Loved how Kamala did a recap of every member and what are their forces or weaknesses.

Glad that Riri gave a talk to Viv about how you don't kiss people out of nowhere.

The last page reveal would have worked better if it happened to Sam or anybody who doesn't have their own ongoing.
    Because unless Ahmed and Zub have something big planed together, you know it's not as much a big deal as it seems to be.
    That's why I wish Champions would rather focus on characters like Viv, Sam, Amka or the new kids. Zub would be able to do whatever he wants with them.

The art is good, but not as great as Dunbar's and Izaakse's.

Who do you think is the reverve member which name begins with a "S"?
    Surge? Shark ****? Speed? Striker? Squirrel Girl? Stature? Spider Girl? Spider Gwen? Spider Something Else? Sun Girl?
    Last edited by mugiwara; 01-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.