Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    I get almost all of those books, the exceptions being the two lowest rated:

Marvel Rising and Unstoppable Wasp.

What is the sales threshold for cancellation?
    The threshold used to be around 20k, but it's a bit lower now and if books do well digitally or through Scholastic, it can be a lifeline (that's why Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl, who sell as badly as those two, still exist).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Champions appearance in the Iron Man #11 preview:
    https://www.newsarama.com/45217-tony...2-preview.html
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-17-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Newsarama's article used the wrong issue number!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Solicit for issue #8

CHAMPIONS #8
    JIM ZUB (W) • STEVEN CUMMINGS (A)
    Cover by KIM JACINTO
    • Fear, doubt, and deception…The Champions’ ideals are about to be tested, and not everyone will make the grade.
    • Plus, the return of the Freelancers and the fate of Sam Alexander!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    I get almost all of those books, the exceptions being the two lowest rated:

Marvel Rising and Unstoppable Wasp.

What is the sales threshold for cancellation?
    Don't pay TOO much attention to the physical sales section. The direct market in general is crashing. I essentially buy all my books digitally and it's well established that newer heroes normally sell better digitally than their book/mortar counterpart. (Primarily because you don't have to worry about comic book shops skipping out on books you want to read so they can stock twenty copies of Thor)

I hope the cover is lying a bit, because doing a year-long status quo about Sam without the helmet and not bringing him back with a swagged up design seems like a missed opportunity.

Nice to see Jim remembers the Freelancers, though. Unharmable Girl is my favorite.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Nova is back! Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I hope the cover is lying a bit, because doing a year-long status quo about Sam without the helmet and not bringing him back with a swagged up design seems like a missed opportunity.

Nice to see Jim remembers the Freelancers, though. Unharmable Girl is my favorite.

Me too. With some of everyone else among the original line-up, sans Cyclops (who's back to being an alive adult) and Miles (who's look is iconic and cool enough as is to justify no changes), getting a new, updated looks, I would hope Sam would get an updated look to his Nova form as part of his big comeback. It'd certainly be a missed opportunity. I'd even hope they'd update it to gain the details it had during Loveness and Perez's run, to be honest (I'm still sore that never carried over and stuck in Champions).

I also agree that it is nice to see the Freelancers again.

It would definitely be a waste to have this arc for Sam and then put him back in his old costume. And as others have said almost everyone else is getting or has gotten a new look.

"The Fate of Sam Alexander" - Basically Sam's lot in life .

I don't really see the need for Sam to have a new look. He already looks distinct from Rich and I'm not really sure what you could do with the Nova design at this point. Make it busier? That seems to be the though behind some of the recent costume upgrades.

It’s great to see Sam back in action but, really, the Freelancers? Who was asking for those one-note Anti-Champions to return?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It’s great to see Sam back in action but, really, the Freelancers? Who was asking for those one-note Anti-Champions to return?
    No one "had to". They're part of the team's lore and history.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    No one "had to". They're part of the team's lore and history.
    They are also some of the most one-note and terribly written part of their history with the depth of the kiddy pool. In the entire universe of well written and interesting villains, the Freelancers are some of the most dull and uninspired. They simply exist to be the Anti-Champions with their only personality trait being that they punch down and twirl their evil mustaches just cuz. Maybe Zub can do something with them to make them more interesting because really, the only way they can go is up from Waid's portrayal of them.

Why is Champions still not using Kamala's new costume? Incidentally, her solo's cover shows that it forms up the same way Iron Man's does - it's nanotech.

That cover seems to spoil that Miles and Amadeus come back... but Agents of Atlas have got another mini. Ammy's officially on double duty!

The Freelancers' amoral working-class nature makes them more realistic than most supervillains and they are thematically perfect foils to the Champions, who were conceived to put more focus on real-world social issues that will impact generation like their own more. Also, Cursed Cass. We stan.

Sam's costume is fine, it's just been so long that I'd prefer some kind of change beyond "he just gets the helmet back."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why is Champions still not using Kamala's new costume? Incidentally, her solo's cover shows that it forms up the same way Iron Man's does - it's nanotech.

That cover seems to spoil that Miles and Amadeus come back... but Agents of Atlas have got another mini. Ammy's officially on double duty!
    Could be either a flub with the cover or that this issue is still set before Kamala gets her new costume and Champions is still playing catch up.
    The Freelancers' amoral working-class nature makes them more realistic than most supervillains and they are thematically perfect foils to the Champions, who were conceived to put more focus on real-world social issues that will impact generation like their own more. Also, Cursed Cass. We stan.

Sam's costume is fine, it's just been so long that I'd prefer some kind of change beyond "he just gets the helmet back."
    We've had plenty of villains who are amoral in nature when it comes to what they do and they are far better written than the Freelancers. Part of the key with those characters is that while they are amoral, they aren't paper thin about the fact and as a result, they're evil but you can see why they have good publicity. The Freelancers are so paper thin about their amoral nature that you question how they haven't been arrested. Hell at this point, they've gone as far as to openly work for Hydra yet somehow they aren't in prison. And while having a foil is a good thing to have, you don't want one that lacks any kind of depth and are one-note because then they become boring.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 05-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    They are also some of the most one-note and terribly written part of their history with the depth of the kiddy pool. In the entire universe of well written and interesting villains, the Freelancers are some of the most dull and uninspired. They simply exist to be the Anti-Champions with their only personality trait being that they punch down and twirl their evil mustaches just cuz. Maybe Zub can do something with them to make them more interesting because really, the only way they can go is up from Waid's portrayal of them.
    I mean sure, that's how you feel about them, but in the grand scheme, that's neither here nor there. I really don't see why anyone would have needed to ask for characters specific to the Champions' history to show up in their book.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Probably not enough turn-around time to justify the change in-story right away. I doubt they wanna do it "overnight" or whathaveyou.

Bolds how I feel on the matter. Plus, and again, I wish the small astehtic updates from Loveness and Perez's solo were maintained.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 05-23-2019 at 05:16 PM.