Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Because the World Still Needs Heroes - Champions Appreciation 2019

The old thread got locked I see. New year, new appreciation threads (damn, I'll have to update all the links in the index thread later). Now, where were we...

Champions Charge!

Roster:
    Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan
    Spider-Man, Miles Morales
    Nova, Sam Alexander
    Viv Vision
    Brawn, Amadeus Cho - formerly Totally Awesome Hulk
    Cyclops, Scott Summers (quit, issue 18)
    Ironheart, Riri Williams
    Unstoppable Wasp, Nadia Van Dyne
    Snowguard, Amka Aliyak
    Falcon, Joaquin Torres
    Patriot, Rayshaun Lucas
    Bombshell, Lana Baumgartner
    Power Man, Victor Alvarez
    Locust, Fernanda Rodriguez
    Pinpoint, Qureshi Gupta
    Dust, Sooraya Qadir

Reservists:
    Cloud 9, Abigail Boylen
    Scout, Gabby Kinney - formerly Honey Badger
    Moon Girl, Lunella Lafayette
    Prodigy (identity unrevealed)
    Red Dagger, Kareem (surname unknown)
    Silk, Cindy Moon
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-09-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Updated for Nova's repowering and Gabby's codename change
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Happy New Year to the newest and brightest teen heroes on the block .

Did I see things wrong or are they re-starting the numbering at #1 again?

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    Did I see things wrong or are they re-starting the numbering at #1 again?
    Yep it's a restart, though because of the Stan Lee Memorial cover, they didn't put the legacy numbering. Zub said that it will resume for the next issue of the relaunch.

Well since as of this post its Wednesday afternoon here, I got #1/LN#28. Now I gotta admit that, for one reason or another, I've been unable to keep up with Champions. I certainly haven't lost interest and would read the posts and keep up, but I actually have been unable to get the damn issues. Started rectifying it by getting a number of trades recently, just leaving Vol 4 and the upcoming Vol 5 left to get till I'm caught up. But by chance I was able to get the new #1. And first impressions so far are that it's a great start. A good start of the new status quo, gives us brief spotlights on each character, has tons of setups for character dynamics, and an ending that's a practical guarantee for a reader to get the next issue and see what the heck will happen.

Do you have the Avengers/Champions Worlds Collide TPB? If not, you shouldn't read TPB 3 yet.

TPB 1, Change the World, is issues 1-5
    TPB 2, The Freelancer Lifestyle, is issues 6-12
    TPB 3, Champion for a Day, is issues 16-18 and 1.MU (a Monsters Unleashed tie-in, which actually should be read before TPB 2!)
    TPB 4, Northern Lights, is issues 19-21 and Infinity Countdown: Champions 1-2.
    TPB 5, Weird War One, is issues 22-27 and the Annual.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yes, Worlds Collide and Champion For a Day were the ones I recently got (as Christmas Gifts no less), while Change the World and Freelancer Lifestyle I got on initial release. So it is indeed Northern Lights and the upcoming Weird War One I don't have.

I really enjoyed the book, and given the large size of the roster it's going to be neat to see how Zub gives each character their own opportunities to shine. The art was pretty good, and I like that Brawn, while still having the Hulk look, is a more fitting size for the character. The ending was pretty solid too - great lead in to the next issue!

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...champions-128/